Is Nighthaunt Better Off Going Legion of Sacrament Than Nighthaunt allegiance?

themortalgod

So I've been reading the new book and going through it I'm starting to feel like a nighthaunt army is actually better as sacrament than its own allegiance. I've never been a big fan of nighthaunt allegiance benefits to begin with because I find it "fails" and keeps too many models out of play for too long. 

One of nighthaunt's biggest weaknesses is our generals are low wound count and pretty vulnerable. LoS really helps address this. The Knight of Shrouds is now almost a no brainer as a nighthaunt general and in LoS we can toss Shroud of Darkness on him making him much harder to snipe.  (Also weird rules question but if you give Knight of Shrouds Dark Acolyte, does he get a spell from the lores? He is neither a Deathmage or a Vampire but the ability specifically says they can take a spell from one of the lores of the dead so which takes precedence as the rules contradict each other?) ;)

LoS also lets us recover Spirit Hosts and Hexwraiths which we could do before.

It also gives up access to the Mortis Engine which is effectively nighthaunt in everything other than keyword.

Thoughts? Does LoS make nighthaunt a bit stronger? Or still pretty low tier? 

There's a big chance the mourngul will have it's warscroll updated however. I'm guessing we'll hear more about how he fits in in 2 weeks from now. Also, the potential lack of mournghul isn't that bad if you have access to all the other big beasties/heroes that LoN offers. 

I will be experimenting with NH units in Legion of sacrament/night soon enough. it was just unclear to me if the KoS was actually allowed to take the command traits/artifacts or not. Most people seem to assume he can, but I actually think he can't because of these 2 quotes from the books: 

• From MP book: 

"Harbingers can be included as allies in any army shares their Grand alliance keyword. Though they are not treated as part of the player's army for the purpose of defining it's allegiance and what allegiance abilities it qualifies for. However, a Harbinger can only be given a command trait if they also share the keyword of that army's allegiance. In addition a harbinger can always be chosen as the army's general. "

AFAIK, the KoS doesn't have the legion of sacrament keyword and it can't be given one either, because he's not part of the 33 warscrolls in the LoN book... So I'm not sure he can be given Legion of Sacrament command traits or artifacts. 

• Page 60 of the Legions of Nagash book. 

"When choosing your army, you may decide if it's taken from one of the legions of Nagash. If you do, choose one of the following faction keywords. All units and warscroll battalions in your army selected FROM THIS BATTLETOME gain that keyword. "

In case he can be given artifacts/traits, I wonder if he can "dethrone" Arkhan or even Nagash... Because the MP books says a harbinger can ALWAYS be the general and that collides with the rules in the LoN book regarding Nagash and mortarchs in their respective legions. 

TL/DR:  I don't think the KoS can be given any artifacts/command traits except for a pure nighthaunt force. 

What I believe the new intention is for the Mournghul is indeed to basically have it as a nice exclusive to Nighthaunt. So if you have two allready and ****** want to play Nighthaunt, pick up the Knight of Shrouds and still have fun with it.

The prime difference between all previous content for Death versus Legions of Nagash is that Legions of Nagash is updated and designed with all Death units in mind. It has added a ton of power which by itself could be at least 4 articles but boils down to:

1. There is no Keyword issue anymore within your armies. Some units arn't in the book, most of which arn't even competitively relevant to begin with. The prime exception is indeed the Mournghul but unless you have two-three allready, find comfort in Morghast Harbingers and Terrorgheists now easily being able to fufill a similar role in Grand Host of Nagash and Legion of Night.
2. Nighthaunt doesn't have easy acces to Lore of Deathmages and Lore of Vampires. You can still ally it in, but it just isn't too amazing considering...
3. Nighthaunt doesn't have as much acces to Deadly Invocation effects including the Gravemarkers.
4. Gravemarkers are such a massive boost to the Summonable units that the only reason to not go for a Grand Host or Legion is if you absolutely do not want to.

Somehow (and this really suprises me) there are also players who play Death and don't like the Skeletons, Zombies or Direwolves whatsoever. If this is the case, then yeah, Grand Host or Legions arn't ideal to play because you have to include Skeleton, Zombies or Direwolves. But from my perspective most Death should also be that. 

4 hours ago, Elmir said:

There's a big chance the mourngul will have it's warscroll updated however. I'm guessing we'll hear more about how he fits in in 2 weeks from now. Also, the potential lack of mournghul isn't that bad if you have access to all the other big beasties/heroes that LoN offers. 

I will be experimenting with NH units in Legion of sacrament/night soon enough. it was just unclear to me if the KoS was actually allowed to take the command traits/artifacts or not. Most people seem to assume he can, but I actually think he can't because of these 2 quotes from the books: 

• From MP book: 

"Harbingers can be included as allies in any army shares their Grand alliance keyword. Though they are not treated as part of the player's army for the purpose of defining it's allegiance and what allegiance abilities it qualifies for. However, a Harbinger can only be given a command trait if they also share the keyword of that army's allegiance. In addition a harbinger can always be chosen as the army's general. "

AFAIK, the KoS doesn't have the legion of sacrament keyword and it can't be given one either, because he's not part of the 33 warscrolls in the LoN book... So I'm not sure he can be given Legion of Sacrament command traits or artifacts. 

• Page 60 of the Legions of Nagash book. 

"When choosing your army, you may decide if it's taken from one of the legions of Nagash. If you do, choose one of the following faction keywords. All units and warscroll battalions in your army selected FROM THIS BATTLETOME gain that keyword. "

In case he can be given artifacts/traits, I wonder if he can "dethrone" Arkhan or even Nagash... Because the MP books says a harbinger can ALWAYS be the general and that collides with the rules in the LoN book regarding Nagash and mortarchs in their respective legions. 

TL/DR:  I don't think the KoS can be given any artifacts/command traits except for a pure nighthaunt force. 

I was puzzling over this myself this morning. Sadly I completely agree with you. It seems very clear that KoS can be the general of any of the new Legions and equally clearly he cannot acquire the Legion keyword as he isn’t in the book and therefore cannot have command traits or items.

So ******

• 1 year later...

KoS can gain the LoS keyword as per the June 2018 official errata. Something to check guys, download it from the Gamesworkshop site.

These are updates to the wording and rules in the battletomes. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

That's the link for the errata and find the legion of Sacrament. Other armies are there too should you need.

Archived