Creating a 2k army around Archaon

Adasi

32 minutes ago, Stevewren said:

Add the lord of Slaanesh on demonic mount for double pile in on Archaon (and once a game triple pile in with the Varanguard as well...)

Yeh this is really really juicy! Makes the Varanguard worth their cost.

Me and @ChippyRick were chatting some Everchosen last night. We were surprised and dismayed in equal measure to discover that Archaon, Gaunt Summoner, 3 units of Varanguard and their sweet formation is unusable in 2,000 points - clocking in at 2,020!! :o

Regardless, I'm not sure it's that exciting an army anyway.

Actually, do you need 3 units of Varanguard for it? If not you could drop one unit of Varanguard and just pick 3 generic Chaos Battleline units to fit it in. That's something I didn't consider last night tbh.

On 7/12/2016 at 3:25 AM, Stevewren said:

Add the lord of Slaanesh on demonic mount for double pile in on Archaon (and once a game triple pile in with the Varanguard as well...)

I dont think you can do this, I actually thought of this awhile ago but both rules say can pile in a SECOND time, not an additional time. So I do not think you can do this. 

• 2 weeks later...

So been kicking around the Idea of an archaon list and this what i came up with thoughts?

Overlords of Chaos

Heros
Archaon 700
Gaunt Summoner 120
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaught 140

Total:960

Battle line Units
10 Chaos Warriors(shields,Icon/Musican) 180

Total:540

Other Units/Formations
3 Varangaurd(Ensorcelled Weapons) 360
Overlords of Chaos 120

Total:480

Army Total:1980

It's a good list, but you will struggle in Escalation. 

You have 7 drops, which means you can deploy the 3 units of warriors turn 1.  Then you'll want Archaon, varanguard, and probably the summoner leaving the juggerlord until turn 3.  Without support those warriors can get stepped on hard and they can potentially force archaon deep into a corner.

There probably isn't much you can do about that though given Archaon's cost!

Wel, that is why I haven't bought Archaon.  I love the model, but I dislike the box you get stuck in with list building.  Which, also makes me sad about varanguard, because they are not as effective without him.  

Putting Archaon on the table is more that you're looking to brute force some situations, which can still work, but you have to be really careful with clever opponents.

I have bought and painted Archaon and still want to use him as given my limited painting skills he has turned out really well and I am quite proud of it!

The generals handbook has scuppered my plans a bit due to the price hike of the Sorcerer Lord and Varanguard and am struggling to write a list.

Was thinking something along the lines of a core of the following 

Archaon 700

Mounted lord of Slannesh 140

Chaos Sorcerer 140

Varanguard 360

3 units of 5 blood warriors 300 for my battle line

This brings me to a total of 1640.

To fill up these last point I was thinking of bumping 2 of the units of blood warriors to 10 to allow them to bring gore glaives and then add a bloodsecrator or bring a unit of stormfiends. Thinking the stormfiends could start off the board and tunnel behind to try snipe a support hero or something, I was even thinking of dropping the Varanguard entirely and taking a second unit of stormfiends.

• 4 months later...

2000 points is a bit litle for archaon and varanguard, i think you can put one of theese two, but two are so expensive, but ok. You can drop one unit of bloodwarriors and put harbinger of decay plus 30 marauders nurgle marked on the army, but you probably need a bit shooting or or another faster unit.

For this prupose you can add one lord of khorne on juggernaut, or you can also put a bloodsecrator, but i personally in that case prefer the lord, cause the bloodwarriors can go in faster, and then they wound on 3.

anyway if you drop de varanguard you can add 10 warriors of chaos with two hand weaponds, and the bloodsecrator too, or a tzeentch wizard leaving 60 points to summon a spawn of he kill some, cause if you kill some models of one crew, and he have the other crews close you can kill all of them with the spawn. (he also have a shooting atack, i killed a crew models a lot of times with that shoot xD)

Let's not forget the Slaanesh lord on boobsnake. He will allow those varanguard to pile in over and over again. Or Archie, for that matter.... Picture BOTH the varanguard AND Archie piling in twice on the same turn......

Or you could play Tomb Kings and do this about 4 times more efficiently.

Archaon could pile into and attack into a unit of 20 Dryads in cover about 4 times before killing them (not much of an exaggeration). -1 to hit and 3+ save rerolling ones is going to wreck his already sub-Mannfred offensive power. Other than the Slayer of Kings eventually clicking, Archaon could bounce off a Treelord Ancient all day long (with healing being cast occasionally).

Varanguard are fundamentally unplayable at their cost. With Little Archaon you can try to make a list, but it's just not competitive.

Yeah, but the thread is about building around Archaon..... not tomb kings. I'm really only interested in trying to get the stuff I currently own to work better, and have fun with it. Not comparing it with another army. There's always something to counter every build, after all....

I am trying to build a list around Archaon for about 6 month now. This is my current list, which works best:

Leaders
Archaon (700)
Harbinger of Decay (140)
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount (140)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
Bloodstoker (80)

Units
Varanguard x 3 (360)
Chaos Marauders x 20 (120)
Chaos Marauders x 20 (120)
Chaos Marauders x 10 (60)

Total: 2000/2000

I rly hope, with the new GH Varanguard will be cheaper and you dont need to build 3 separate battline units. So I could take just 30 Maurauders. Anyway, keep in mind that with this list Archaon is getting rly powerful, but if you lose him the game is over.

Another option for battleline are Plaguebearers. Maybe the best battleline unit for chaos, but because of the harbringer I think Marauders are the better option in this list.

Archived