Bases! From square to round?

Danny76

How difficult is it likely to be to rebase everything?

finally thinking plunging in to AoS from fantasy. But it would be hefty to do so with all my models swapping to rounds. 

What is everyone’s experience having done so?

plastic glue was used btw!

You can very easily play AoS with square bases. However, I think models look 10x better with round bases. I've rebased my share of models and my technique is to use a stanley knife or hobby knife and carefully cut the glue joint from the old base, reglue it to the new base, and decorate as you'd like. You could probably do like 50 models in an afternoon if you put your mind to it (not counting painting the new bases of course). 

Ive been working on the switch for blades of khorne and saw the opportunity to make really nice bases this time around. Much easier to design and paint in bulk without models standing on em.

I emailed GW about what circle size to use for a specific unit and their wishy washy answer made it clear they dont care and models sold with only squares are valid.

I’m using a pinvice drill and metal wire to pin the feet through the cork and base, very important I feel to properly secure on prepainted bases.

396A7A68-E569-448E-A286-F167B658DE32.jpeg

AC609EE2-D0F6-4F86-BA41-CA2405280234.jpeg

I’ll look for said thread about swapping over then. 

I agree theyd look look a lot better in a skirmish style play rather than units ranked. 

I think there are a lot of really cool scenic bases that I could easily go for now. And yeah painting off the base I have learned from my recent 40k army is definitely easier!

There are a couple of ways to go about it.  1) carefully trim the models from the old base and glue on the new base.  I did this with my Nurgle daemons and it wasn’t too bad.  I did hobble a couple, but it was easy to cover up with mud.  2) if you like the way they are based, you can trim the edges from the square bases.  Then file down the bottom so it is easy and glue on the round base.  Finally match the flock and blend it together.  I think this is a lot more time consuming.  However, Mengel had a great blog on his website for his Tomb Kings.

Good luck and enjoy AoS.  I was originally put off by the changes, but after playing this past year I really enjoy it.

On 2/2/2018 at 12:14 AM, Danny76 said:

How difficult is it likely to be to rebase everything?

finally thinking plunging in to AoS from fantasy. But it would be hefty to do so with all my models swapping to rounds. 

What is everyone’s experience having done so?

plastic glue was used btw!

Depends on the minis. My skellies were often glued quite firmly to their old bases and have weak ankles, so for many I loped the sides of the old square with clippers  and just glued the remants of the old base onto a round, worked well enough as a lazy solution and added some variation which was handy.

Archived