Pestilens Thread, tactics, builds, advice

James McPherson

I look forward to seeing you win a tournament out in the US with them man!

Ben went through them all and mentioned them briefly on Bad Dice Daily I think in that link I posted?

Architect of Death is the strongest one I've seen. Put that with am allied Chieftain BSB from the compendium + Foulrain = My new army. 

The trouble with the units of 40 is you don't want them sitting on objectives, plague bearers will be good for that now though.

On the Blight Wars twitch stream, it's been confirmed we also get access to Nurgle abilities now, and they revealed what those are. I would recommend anyone who plays Pestilens to pick up that rule book as it has the Nurgle stuff abilities in it, and the Nurgle Dial that comes in the box set. But note, NO ARTIFACTS for Nurgle, not sure why? Also no mixing and matching.

That means we get to choose from generic Chaos, Pestilens or Nurgle, and that means we can mix an army between say Blightkings, Pestilens & Demons, and still get to use the Nurgle or Chaos ones. We are the only faction with access to 3 choices.

Good times =)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, James McPherson said:

I look forward to seeing you win a tournament out in the US with them man!

Ben went through them all and mentioned them briefly on Bad Dice Daily I think in that link I posted?

Architect of Death is the strongest one I've seen. Put that with am allied Chieftain BSB from the compendium + Foulrain = My new army. 

The trouble with the units of 40 is you don't want them sitting on objectives, plague bearers will be good for that now though.

On the Blight Wars twitch stream, it's been confirmed we also get access to Nurgle abilities now, and they revealed what those are. I would recommend anyone who plays Pestilens to pick up that rule book as it has the Nurgle stuff abilities in it, and the Nurgle Dial that comes in the box set. But note, NO ARTIFACTS for Nurgle, not sure why? Also no mixing and matching.

That means we get to choose from generic Chaos, Pestilens or Nurgle, and that means we can mix an army between say Blightkings, Pestilens & Demons, and still get to use the Nurgle or Chaos ones. We are the only faction with access to 3 choices.

Good times =)

Thats awesome. Cant wait for the new nurgle ^^

With the updated compendium warscrolls we lost Chieftain BSB. His banner is pretty weak now :/

Had couple pestilens games today (small games 1000 and 1500 so my lists weren't that competetive, had 1 furnace with the artifact to get extra prayer plus command trait to give that prayer for verminlord, plus 1 plague priest). First game was disaster, charges kept failing, prayers kept failing (never got great plague) and my units were destroyed by shooting. It was coalition game too and it didn't help that my ally's slaanesh army ended up failing as well.

Second game against stormcast was initially success. Got neverplague first turn and managed to later use d6 mw plague too. Got some great attacks with furnace. It looked like I was winning at first but skaven bleed out so damn quick. Ultimately stormcast managed to sneak and grab one of my objectives and destroyed it (scorched earth) giving them victory point advantage. Still fun game and a close one, made some mistakes during scenario so I could've won it.

Overall I gotta say that this army kinda suffers under 2000 points. You need more priests to get those plagues but in order to do that you need bigger games with more heroes. Even then, it's difficult to pull out good plagues at the right time. Also those battalion cost increases really hurt this army. I wish I could get bigger hordes but I can't fit those in my army without making some other sacrifices (and with weak defence army like pestilens I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket, regardless of better bravery).

One of the allies I am thinking about adding is skyre warpgrinder weapon teams. They would allow me to move at least 1 unit of plague monks behind enemy lines, maybe pressuring my opponents to keep stuff back at their base to protect their objectives.

Also one note about the allegiance itself. While the great plagues are good and all, the real winner imo is that you can get through artifact and command trait 2 new pestilent prayers for army. Spamming pestilent breath all over with 3 priests can do quite a bit of mortal wounds and it's not restricted by rule of one (also having more guys that can use wither is also amazing). With neverplague these prayers will also succeed most of the time.

I've used catapult in my lists and it is h.it and miss (quite literally). On one hand it deals lots of damage to horde units and can even be used to snipe elites and characters (rend -2 and d6 damage is no joke), but on other hand it costs fair amount and when it misses, you don't do any damage. I do still like the utility it provides, since pestilens has no other ranged damage dealers and softening some enemies before they attack you/you attack them is really nice for squishy skaven.

If you want them, take 2 minimum, since then atleast the other catapult might hit something every turn. Priests are also great with them, wither and plague tome (plus plague scroll from monks) synergize with them. Battalion is probably too expensive now but using general with that re-roll hits of 1, plus battalion, would give you super reliable catapults.

7 hours ago, angrycontra said:

One of the allies I am thinking about adding is skyre warpgrinder weapon teams. They would allow me to move at least 1 unit of plague monks behind enemy lines, maybe pressuring my opponents to keep stuff back at their base to protect their objectives.

Also one note about the allegiance itself. While the great plagues are good and all, the real winner imo is that you can get through artifact and command trait 2 new pestilent prayers for army. Spamming pestilent breath all over with 3 priests can do quite a bit of mortal wounds and it's not restricted by rule of one (also having more guys that can use wither is also amazing). With neverplague these prayers will also succeed most of the time.

I tried a mixed chaos allegiance list with warp grinder teams, I found the Monks showed up on a turn, sometimes got their charges off which was really helpful and won me the odd game, but in general they were without any buffs like +1 to attack or re-rolls to wound, and weren't that effective/didn't survive long. it wasn't really worth the core tax of having to take 3x10 clan rats under GHB'16. Might be better now with allies.

1 hour ago, angrycontra said:

I've used catapult in my lists and it is h.it and miss (quite literally). On one hand it deals lots of damage to horde units and can even be used to snipe elites and characters (rend -2 and d6 damage is no joke), but on other hand it costs fair amount and when it misses, you don't do any damage. I do still like the utility it provides, since pestilens has no other ranged damage dealers and softening some enemies before they attack you/you attack them is really nice for squishy skaven.

If you want them, take 2 minimum, since then atleast the other catapult might hit something every turn. Priests are also great with them, wither and plague tome (plus plague scroll from monks) synergize with them. Battalion is probably too expensive now but using general with that re-roll hits of 1, plus battalion, would give you super reliable catapults.

Yeah I kind of agree (it's re-rolls of 1 to wound not hit) they are good, but at 3+ to hit /wound they are 50/50, you need to find ways to make them more reliable, the amount of times you roll a one when you are firing 2 or 3 of them per turn is quite often over 5 turns. I would probably ally in Epidemius with them, if possible, and then use the various Pestilens buffs to make them more reliable. I still think the battalion is worth it, but 200pts is a lot, could take Epidemius for 180pts and he buffs your entire army.

I have 3 or 4 currently I think , I'd go either 2 or 4 if I had Epidemius I expect . And I'd spread them out more. The Foulrain formation has to use the 13" synergy which is a killer.

Had my first game of Pestilens yesterday. 1k points, Triumph & Treachery versus Tzeentch and Nurgle. Gaunt summoner killed 41 rats in two rounds of magic, took that kind of hard.

Almost won in the end on victory points (got 13 so the Great Horned Rat was happy), but on my last prayer I got the bubonic blightplague off, chaining it around a bunch of times. Seeing that thing jump like 6 times between acolytes and familiars was just so satisfying. 

so... the Cheiftan with Banner doesn't work anymore so that's my allies idea out of the window...

I am still optimistic for using the Command trait 'Architect of Death' that will make wounding a little easier and the new swing towards hordes should help the plagueclaws a little.

I will still be bringing the plaguesmog battalion, anything that helps the ratties survive as I lure in my opponent is a huge boon. and the fact that it is 2+ censer bearer units means I can really fill out the army and make that 160pt investment worth while!

Architect of death only does what your plague scrolls do anyway in your units of Plague Monks, which you get for free, or even better your plague tomes which your priests carry. It's a bit of a double up, wish they'd given us something else tbh.

Re-roll hits of 1 is kinda more needed.

Epidemius or Chaos Sorceror Lord on Horseback can give that so they are my ally picks for now t get the best out of your plagueclaws , although they take up valuable priest slots.

I think Epidemius is probably best as he gives army wide buffs.

I'm interested in what people think in a choice between allegiance with the new Nurgle Battle Trait or the Pestilens one? Seems like the main argument is reliability vs luck . but also artifacts vs none. command trait vs none.

I played in a mini tournament last week and took my Pestilens, some of the guys that I faced are veteran tournament attenders.

I didn't do very well, though that was my fault for taking the plaguesmog battalion in a 700pt list! ?

One thing that struck me is that the killing ability of the plague monks and censer bearers was very much a shock to them. Is this our secret weapon for games? ?

In the blackout tournament this weekend the only skaven represented seems to be a single skryre list.

What do you think is needed to make the Pestilens a competitive army? We got our own allegience abilities and still seem underpowered.

I dunno if you guys will be interested, but I love skaven and made 2 videos on them, based on how I see the clans as of the GH2017.  Sorry for messing up the "Skryre" pronunciation. One of my subs corrected me. Here's the first part, and there is a second part to it too :) posted in the skaven section too. (also hi kiblams! didn't know this was your haunt XD)

Hey all, with the new GH and the new Total War game about to drop I'm dusting off my Skaven - have a question about the Congregation of Filth 6+ save: does that save trigger before or after damage?  as an example against a wound that does d6 damage, do I save once, or whatever the d6 is? 

Had my first game of age of sigmar in a while. Its amazing what a game can do to brighten up a week, even if your on the receiving end of a bit of a battering ^^;;

I played against the manager of one of the local stores. Nothing fancy, just a 750pt game to figure out how the clan pestilens play for me. I didn't go for anything super strong and just went for numbers since i didn't know what he would be playing. 

Plague Priest

30 Plague Monks with Staves

20 Plague Monks with two Foetid Blades

10 Plague Censer Bearers 

Plagueclaw Catapult. 

I played against his Kharadron Overlords, first time i've seen them played in my local store. You will have to forgive me, just going from memory on what they had. Think it was something along the lines of:

Arkanaut Admiral 

10 Arkanaut Company with Skyhook and Aethermatic Volley Gun

5 Grundstok Thunderers (I think each one had a different weapon)

3 Endrinriggers with Aethermatic Volley Gun and a Skyhook

Arkanaut Frigate (not sure what the big gun was)

And the mission we played was the last one in matched play. Capture the objectives and being able to raze the opponents for d3 points instead of controlling for the single point. Well for a first game with my clan pestilens, and first game in a while... a lot of blood was shed. Mostly mine xD. As you can imagine lack of armor on the plague monks hurt, but the manager was nice enough not to just hold back the entire game, and actually engaged in combat with his Admiral and Arkanaut Company. Though he regretted it when the plague monks started to attack back and explode upon dying. It was a pretty bloody game. I conceeded around turn four and had 5 plague monks, a plague priest at full health, and a battered catapult. My opponent ended up with 3 grundstok thunderers, 2 endrinriggers, and his frigate left. 

Highlight of the game for me being when the priest pestilent breathed the arkanaut company (wiping them out) and the admiral, which led to the great plague which did 6 mortal wounds to him. My priest escaped, killing off any rivals and shall live to plot another day !! >:3

Despite my army being pretty squishy. I did enjoy playing with the rats. Right now i'm happy to keep it just pestilens. I just feel i got a little unlucky in this game (must have been sabotage by a rival priest >.>) but it was still a nice little learning experience. I think i may invest in a couple of weapon tunnel teams in the future at bigger points, because nothing is quite as terrifying as dropping 40 plague monks into your opponents deployment zone ;p 

Heyo. Finally fell of the fence and landed on skaven. Got ahold of the skaven packs the nearby store had available - mostly pestilence, and aquired about 1000 points worth of the rats. So before I get around to putting them together, I figured I'd ask for some advice. For context, I bought the starter pack, a pack of plague monks, and a screaming bell/plague furnace. This lands me at 40 plague monks, two screaming bell/plague furnace, one plague claw/warp lightning cannon, and two grey seer/plague priest on foot depending on which combo of bell/furnace I go for. 

I figured this could be applied in a list like this:

1000 pts:

Allegience: pestilens

- plague furnace (general. Master of rot and ruin/ liber bubonicus)

- screaming bell (ally)

- 20 plague monks (foetide blades)

- 20 plague monks (foetide blades) 

- Plagueclaw or Warplightning cannon 

- Battalion: congregation of filth

The general idea being spamming prayers to trigger plagues, and keep the rabid fever prayer up to make the plague monks into suicide bombs. Very killy kill kill, but maybe it lacks oomph. Shooting will massacre it, for sure, but the 6++ save from the battallion should help with that somewha.

What do you guys think?

I do intend to move heavily into Skryre/Verminus down the road, so I'm really wondering whether to go for the plagueclaw or warplightning cannon. A strong 50/50 at this point. Plagueclaw seems more useful, warplightning more consistent. 

Thoughts? Input? I've been stuck in order for so long, this chaos side of things is a bit foggy. Can't escape the horned rat, apparantly.

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

I do intend to move heavily into Skryre/Verminus down the road, so I'm really wondering whether to go for the plagueclaw or warplightning cannon. A strong 50/50 at this point. Plagueclaw seems more useful, warplightning more consistent. 

Thoughts? Input? I've been stuck in order for so long, this chaos side of things is a bit foggy. Can't escape the horned rat, apparantly.

You could always magnetize / build it in such a way that you can make both out of one kit if you can't decide. Ive seen someone make it so that when they have it one way it's a plagueclaw and when they turn the arm 180deg over the other way its a warplightning cannon. They are both equally good though to be honest you are probably going to want one of each to experiment with. Sorry for such a sitting on the fence answer!

On 9/8/2017 at 3:17 PM, SolarBur said:

Despite my army being pretty squishy. I did enjoy playing with the rats. Right now i'm happy to keep it just pestilens. I just feel i got a little unlucky in this game (must have been sabotage by a rival priest >.>) but it was still a nice little learning experience. I think i may invest in a couple of weapon tunnel teams in the future at bigger points, because nothing is quite as terrifying as dropping 40 plague monks into your opponents deployment zone ;p 

What I've found playing them over the last year or so is your margin for error is practically zero. What do I mean by this, other armies can recover from bad plays or random acts of unluckiness against them, but with Pestilens (preGHB'17) - quite literally, when the slightest little bit of bad luck would go against you, or you make one false move or tactical error you can forget any kind of major win and you are just suddenly playing damage control. It's extremely frustrating, but at the same time extremely gratifying when you do pull off a major and teaches you to be a better player as every single tiny move is imperative and counts on a life or death scale. To me it's a lot more satisfying playing an army like that.

9 hours ago, James McPherson said:

What I've found playing them over the last year or so is your margin for error is practically zero. What do I mean by this, other armies can recover from bad plays or random acts of unluckiness against them, but with Pestilens (preGHB'17) - quite literally, when the slightest little bit of bad luck would go against you, or you make one false move or tactical error you can forget any kind of major win and you are just suddenly playing damage control. It's extremely frustrating, but at the same time extremely gratifying when you do pull off a major and teaches you to be a better player as every single tiny move is imperative and counts on a life or death scale. To me it's a lot more satisfying playing an army like that.

Oh i noticed xD

See i was playing Bonesplitterz a while back. I got used to the 6++ saves and the multiple wounds. Making across the board was never an issue. But with Pestilens every rat counts, every point invested has to be a sound choice. Tactically the army for my is a little tricky, but i do agree with you. When a Pestilens army pulls off even as something as a big charge and pulls the enemies under a mass of stinking fur and rusted blades. Its really fun ;p

Like i said before, the idea in my game of the plague priest just losing his calm and throwing himself into the Arkanaut company to tear them to pieces or Plaguing the Admiral to death was pretty satisfying. Despite a run of bad luck, the dice turning against me (clearly a rival priest), this army doesn't stop being fun. I like Pestilens because of the character, and lets be fair, you don't get much more characterful than the Skaven ^^ 

Hey guys,

I've got the Spire of Dawn pack (40 clanrats, 2 ogors, warlord, warplock engineer and the two weapon teams) and was planning to use a few as allies in a 2k Pestilens army (want more Skaven but really dislike the old metal models). 

Would any of the Dawnspire units be worth taking as allies in a Pestilens list? And is the Start Collecting box the best way to... start collecting Pestilens?

Cheers!!

14 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Hey guys,

I've got the Spire of Dawn pack (40 clanrats, 2 ogors, warlord, warplock engineer and the two weapon teams) and was planning to use a few as allies in a 2k Pestilens army (want more Skaven but really dislike the old metal models). 

Would any of the Dawnspire units be worth taking as allies in a Pestilens list? And is the Start Collecting box the best way to... start collecting Pestilens?

Cheers!!

The start collecting box is definitely the best way to start collecting pestilens. I bought it myself very recently, and it is definitely worth it. You also get parts to build a screaming bell and a warplightning cannon instead of the plague furnace and plague claw - which gives you a lot of stuff for the price. Two of those boxes would put you just beyond 1000 pts.

Archived