new death battletome announced!

tea_wild_owl

Given the leaks of new scrolls for most things, but not for any FEC stuff, I think the safest bet is that FEC scrolls aren't changing at all from their battle tome.  Which, yes, would mean necromancers no longer have any synergy with the faction what so ever.  can't buff anything ghoulish.  Can't even pass wounds to them.

Same for necromancers in legacy Tomb Kings armies.  At least they still have their liche priests, but vanhels'd necroknights are now a thing of the past.

or rather they will be, the next time the compendiums are updated.  IIRC, the VC compendium still has 'necromancer on steed' as a separate (albeit more expensive) unit, with the old rules for passing wounds and the old vanhels spell.  Don't know how long it'll stay that way, so I wouldn't advise putting a lot of effort into a conversion.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least all my soulblight conversions look pretty... Regardless of whether they'll ever be fielded much.

I have to say I really don't like how short the range for deathly invocations is... Unless we're keeping the entire army together in a block I don't see it getting enough healing going on to be a good replacement for banners

At first, I thought that the idea of giving Wounds back to summonable units wasn't all that bad an idea. Afterall, it seems most heros can do an Invocation at least 2 times. Heck, I was even kind of excited, thinking of the prospect of giving wounds back to stuff like Zombie Dragons. But the more I looked, the more disapointing it all became. From what I can tell and assume, our summon list will now be Skeletons, Grave Guard, Zombies, Black Knights, Spirit Hosts, Dire Wolves, and Hex Wraiths. 

That is a incredibly low amount of units that can be effected by what seems to be a core mechanic, not to mention how badly that affects our mobility and overall tactical tool box. But even than, I still think it can work. For example, with enough heros, you can easily get more bodies back than you could with banners, and gurantee more than 1 coming back. And if they had kept summonable on things like Dragons and Terrorgheists, it would have been incredible!

Nerf wise, I am a bit disapointed that both kinds of Wight King have gotten some pretty serious nerfs. The loss of the banner is bad enough, but the Black Axe only doing 1 damage and only insta-killing on a 6 ruins his ability to be both a threat to crowds or snipe down low wound characters. Not to mention how little love Grave Guard and Black Knights recieved, or how they basically made Necromancers useless in a FEC army.

Really, what it boils down to is this; will we have a way to protect characters? Everything else about this book depends on that question. If yes, I could see us doing relatively well at Tournaments, and making this work. Afterall, restoring 6d3 Skeletons to a 40 man unit is rather decent, especially doing that 3 seperate times. Plus, it will make our heros unique, and that much more powerful.

But if we don't? Well then, I think that would really just be the 'Death' of Death as a competative army.

the black axe king got an additional nerf in that it now only halves allocated wounds suffered per 'each attack'.  Which doesn't even make sense, because individual attacks stop existing before wounds start being allocated, instead wounds build up in a pool per unit and are allocated all at once, which is why the previous ability stopped half of the wounds coming in from single damage weapons as well.  The new rule seems to mean 'half the damage characteristic of attacks that wound this model', the way the sphynxes are now worded, and if that's the case it's as big a nerf for pseudo-krell as it was for the necro & royal.  At least WKwBA probably isn't also going to be 100 points more expensive.

Also, as with the necro's wound shrugging ability, with WKwBA's armor now no longer offers any protection from mortal wounds.

Which is the exact opposite of the direction we needed to be going in vis a vis vulnerability of our heroes to mortal wound spam to make the new recursion system any sort of workable.

image.png.44b04299a4bd344904dc3608d1077cc3.png

/r/thathappened

I'm waiting to see the book, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. I'm not a competative player and I'm already losing to an old Dark Elves army once a month so not much will change for me I guess. Still love my spooks n skellies. I kind of like the new healing mechanic from a fluff point of view, but hoping there's at least some way to buff it as I only run a Wight King and Necromancer.

accounts that they came from Australia site could be manufactured, or echo chamber.  or they could be incomplete or early versions.  or, most likely, they're entirely accurate, and account that GW dev said they were fake could itself be fake, or the dev could have responded by default without even looking at them.  Lacking any sort of official comment, it's really hard to say.

Heck, Legions of Nagash only barely had an announcement to begin with.  What, a short youtube promo, and the warhammer community site described it in the middle of a post about other things?  haven't even had a proper faction focus article or anything.

1 hour ago, Skrekkugle said:

image.png.44b04299a4bd344904dc3608d1077cc3.png

/r/thathappened

I'm waiting to see the book, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. I'm not a competative player and I'm already losing to an old Dark Elves army once a month so not much will change for me I guess. Still love my spooks n skellies. I kind of like the new healing mechanic from a fluff point of view, but hoping there's at least some way to buff it as I only run a Wight King and Necromancer.

Wouldnt be surprised if it was faked...why didnt they have the zombie warscroll on there?,,that one is certainly one of the more important scrolls for death.Another thing that I find odd is that they show some new named characters that certainly could use the previous kits however if this is true then it would make sense that these kits could have an upgrade kit for them for the hero models themselves and hasnt it been confirmed that there wont be any new models for the LoN release?

They stated many times that LoN will be a book without any new models release (except for the Wright dude from Malign).

This whole "it's fake, wait - buy - and see" message looks... well... unprofessional at best, fishy at worst. You don't share vital pieces of information about your product during a rather "negative" time (hell, I'm part of that negativity) via "somebody told someone". Leaks came from multiple sources, and yes, there are no zombies. Might they be in unleaked pages-thingies? It sounds more like "yeah it's fake, preorder book and new box set, I swear everything is different" from GW side while in reality there are some minor errors in warsrolls (fishy) or person posting this FB message having a misunderstanding with design team member.

Let's be honest, who would start a "big" fake news campaign over such trivial thing? To create multiple sources of fakes news with new warscrolls corresponding to what was hinted earlier? Industrial espionage over hobby-related stuff? It's a niche market, GW has a solid foothold and discouraging small percentage of its consumers won't have a long-lasting effect. Not with all people happy over DoK or new 40K releases.

Either a miscommunication, a foul play by GW or they are doing "STOP THE PRESS, RE-WRITE IT" since, to all that we know, there is no time when LoN will hit set in stone. The entire leak could as well be a "test" to see if people will like those changes. A method as old and Julius Ceaser and Octavian Augustus.

Or I might be just to cynical and mistrusting for my own good ;P

20 minutes ago, Thostos said:

Wouldnt be surprised if it was faked...why didnt they have the zombie warscroll on there?,,that one is certainly one of the more important scrolls for death.Another thing that I find odd is that they show some new named characters that certainly could use the previous kits however if this is true then it would make sense that these kits could have an upgrade kit for them for the hero models themselves and hasnt it been confirmed that there wont be any new models for the LoN release?

If true the new hero would be like the ironjawz mawcrusha special character. Same kit diff paintjob.

During the Long, loooong down turn of chaos marines and chaos in general in 40k, basically stretching from the start of 4th edition to the end of 7th edition, fake CSM rumors became a regular phenomenon.  Some were accidental - one person's wishlist or homebrew fixit codex mistaken by someone else as actual rumors or leaks, spreading to forums or 4chan, then to BoLS/Natfka, and from there to everywhere.  Other times it was legit and deliberate trolling, including leaking the same fake rumor to multiple rumor mills, creating the illusion of reliable rumors with multiple sources.  A couple rumors might have been actually discussion among GW devs that just never turned into actual products, or got quashed when they started circulating as rumors.

Point is, I've seen fake leaks, deliberate or otherwise, as elaborate as these, so I wouldn't say they /couldn't/ be fake.  They're /probably/ not fake.  They're probably actual scrolls accidentally released early on the app, just like they say they are.  We'll see, I guess.

Unless we get confirmation that these /are/ fake, such as via a faction preview article on Warhammer Community that doesn't match these leaks, I'll definitely be shifting my previous plans from 'preorder' to 'wait for reviews'.

1 minute ago, Sception said:

I'll definitely be shifting my previous plans from 'preorder' to 'wait for reviews'.

Unfortunately I fear I may be similar. Luckily I also have the DoK release to look forward to but death are my main love so I'm still pretty worried.

Hopefully we'll get some good warhammer community articles soon to shed light on things.

I'm not abandoning all hope just yet as since my area is fairly casual play I still might be able to find good fun in LoN especially if the alleigance abilities end up cool. But if death remains ****** for competetive then alas we'll probably get forgotten about as a faction... Let's hope not.

I've been debating back and forth about whether I should post this. Hopefully this wasn't the wrong call.

The negativity in the thread is getting extremely repetitive. There's more wheel spinning going on here than in the Khemri Hippodrome. It wasn't that long ago that we had this post chiding us not to engage in exactly this kind of behavior.

The fact of the matter is that we don't have much to go on right now. These "leaked" warscrolls may or may not be accurate, and we certainly don't have anything solid on the *several* sets of supplementary abilities that we have. We also don't have the points values which makes a MASSIVE difference. We also know there is a big FAQ and errata update coming which could hugely change the context in which we'd be interpreting these new rules.

When you start spitting venom because GW put together an amazing trailer teasing new stuff for a faction that has been just as left out as yours is, you know it's getting to a toxic level. 

I'm as invested in Death as anyone here. Let's take a breath and reserve judgment until we have the whole picture and better yet have had a chance to actually play some games with it.

8 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I've been debating back and forth about whether I should post this. Hopefully this wasn't the wrong call.

The negativity in the thread is getting extremely repetitive. There's more wheel spinning going on here than in the Khemri Hippodrome. It wasn't that long ago that we had this post chiding us not to engage in exactly this kind of behavior.

The fact of the matter is that we don't have much to go on right now. These "leaked" warscrolls may or may not be accurate, and we certainly don't have anything solid on the *several* sets of supplementary abilities that we have. We also don't have the points values which makes a MASSIVE difference. We also know there is a big FAQ and errata update coming which could hugely change the context in which we'd be interpreting these new rules.

When you start spitting venom because GW put together an amazing trailer teasing new stuff for a faction that has been just as left out as yours is, you know it's getting to a toxic level. 

I'm as invested in Death as anyone here. Let's take a breath and reserve judgment until we have the whole picture and better yet have had a chance to actually play some games with it.

Amen brother. Regardless of how death turns out, I'm still investing. I love death, I have the most fun playing as death a ****** the other factions.

Archived