Fleshshade over white basecoat?

Erdemo86

White primer+ reikland is probably the most simple way of painting skin that gives decent results, even better if you afterwards give the model a drybrush of a light flesh tone (the exact colour depends on how pale you want the model to be). White + shade + drybrush/ grading is the most effective way I've found for painting light skin.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s bloody brilliant for batch painting. You would get best results on miniatures with a lot of detail on their skin, like Blightkings or Bloodreavers. One layer of Reikland on top of pure white will give a pale look. Two layers will give a healthy look. Just let it dry in between.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I'm stealing these! :P

Any similar tips for dark skin? Planning to start into some Kairic Acolytes soon and would ideally like to go for a decent variety of tones across models.

Gothor Brown base, Sepia wash and drybrush Gorthor Brown.

If you want really dark, then Rhinox Hide base and repeat above

The Warhammer TV pox walker video uses this.  I copied it for my poxwalkers and it came out great.  I used Corax White, which is closer to Ulthuan Grey.  At first, I thought the Riekland was too dark.  However, when it dried it looked great.  You can create variance by thinning the Riekland with Lahmiam Medium for lighter skin or mixing in a little Agrax for darker.

You can also add spots of Druchi or Carobourgh in the eyes, lips, etc for added depth.

I've seen good variation in tones from priming white, then painting a third of the unit with Kislev Flesh and a third with Cadian Fleshtone, then going over them all with two coats of flesh shade. 

For darker flesh, I like dryad bark with a 1:1 druchii violet : lahmian medium wash, then a quick highlight around the face, knuckles etc with 1:1 dryad bark : kislev flesh

Archived