Fungoid Cave-Shaman Reveal and Speculation

PlasticCraic

Most of you are no doubt aware. but there is video about the Cave Shaman on the Malign Portents site.  Quite a cool video and well worth a look.

- They name him, but also say there are others, so I'm wondering if there might eventually be two warscrolls?  A named character version, and a generic version?

- Apparently he is more durable than he looks because he is off his face on mushrooms - maybe some kind of ward save because he feels no pain? 5+?

- He is obviously a wizard.  They mention that if he eats a mushroom, he can reroll his casting, and cast an extra spell.  Kind of an update to the Madcap Mushrooms ability that the existing Shaman has, although potentially losing the +2 to cast as a trade off

Anything else anybody picked up on, and do we have any idea what (if anything) this means for a wider Moonclan release?

Also, Ben Johnson has tweeted that he's picked up a SC Ironjawz box and will be putting the Shaman in the army with them.

Maybe he's just banging the drum for the "Please Buy a SC Box" thing and the Shaman release.

Maybe he's just going to use it for Mystic Shield and possibly a damage spell it has.

Or maybe...just maybe...it will have a Warscroll spell that works on the Destruction keyword, like having our very own Lore Master?  Unlikely, but let's hope so! 

So my hope is that they release 2 warscrolls for each Harbringer, the named version and a generic version. 

Then they make the named Harbringer work for all factions in an alliance, using the Destruction keyword. Also kinda hoping he gets to cast 2 spells a turn.

Yeah...kinda hijacking my own thread here, but I think the Weirdnob Shaman would be exponentially better with 2 casts.  It's nice to have Foot of Gork in your locker, but it's obviously too unreliable to plan around.  And the whole dishing out mortal wounds to his mates thing makes him a poor option for the Mystic Shield he is mostly used for.

If you could attempt both, so you're reliably getting off Mystic Shield and then getting Foot of Gork as a free swing, it suddenly becomes much more valuable.  

But yeah, back to Moonclan...they have confirmed he gets an extra cast when he eats his mushroom.  Whether that's two casts becoming three, or (more likely) one cast becoming two, remains to be seen.  

My suspicion with all the heralds is they may have some kind of abilities that benefit the entire grand alliance as opposed to just a single faction. All the background we've been given on them seems to have them leading diverse armies (In particular, the Destruction and Death Heralds do).

I would also hope that due to this, they get a free pass as allies across the entire Grand Alliance. We know for a fact that the Fungoid Cava Shaman is also leading Ogors around as well. But maybe that'll just be something more to promote Grand Alliance lists.

Either way, will be very interesting to see the full rules for these guys. They were a bit skimpy on the specifics (and in fact, I reckon we know most about the Fungoid Cave Shaman rules).

I think that what allegiance you pick for your army will dictate what units you'll be able to pick, allies included. No changes there. I believe the harbringer will have the destruction keyword and be able to include in your army regardless of which allegiance you've picked.

The thing I'm most excited about for this dude is reliability (re-roll both casting and dispells), and choice of 2 wizard warscroll profiles.

AND I reckon based on the way they revealed the mushroom shenanagins, he gets to choose between 2 mushrooms (splitcap or deffcap) for his ability each turn (splitcap rules is not revealed yet).

So given the lack of options and reliability for moonclan at present, it addresses both those problems as well as the squishiness problem. 

On 1/5/2018 at 1:17 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Or maybe...just maybe...it will have a Warscroll spell that works on the Destruction keyword, like having our very own Lore Master?  Unlikely, but let's hope so! 

as a herald for an intire alliance.... could be. 

Archived