New Book New Army New Death

mmimzie

Howdy folks. I've been poking around this book for about a week now, and i've been dying to share it. That said i don't like spread the massive rumors and images. Now that everything is out there though. I wanted to throw around my theory hammer.

As i see the units in the game. many of the stock troops are some of the most cost effective when you consider a realistic foot print. Many of the battle line units are decent to good, and the units that can be come battle line units with allegiance are some of the best each faction has to offer. 

Pre generals hand book i was building around and expecting maligants to be a thing, Which leaves me with a wobbing 0 base like battleline units lmao.

So i have two list iwas wondering you guys could critic and choose from:

List one (AKA just throw in some core and paint them like ghost): TLDR look here

Coven thron  
Vamp lord  
Mortis engin  
Mortis engin  
zombie 10
zombie 10
zombie 10
Spirit Host 6
Spirit Host 6
Hex wraith 5
Hex wraith 5

+260 points for summoning whatever.  (Odds are morghast harbingers, or hex wraiths)

I like this list abit. It's basicly my old list. It's got two starting battlions, though i doubt most tournaments would let you stack 2 free battlions??  Either way the  whole plan is to make a ball of death (pun intended)  with the mortis engines milking thier "hero" abilities. It's alittle bad against enemy death as -1 to hit (neferata) neuters the spirits, and it's tough to wound with the mortis engines. Even then it's not as bad as it seems. The zombies are there to make a nice back line bubble to keep anything from teleporting behind the ball and nuking down my throne, mortis, and vamp lords. This also get all the death allegiance bonuses

List 2 ( AKA embrace the purchase of lots of spirits): TLDR look here

4x Carrin wraith

2x banshees

4xunits of 6xspirits

4xunits of 5 hex wraiths

Definitely quite repetitive, but i would look so cool on the table. Spirits are good when they don't get -1 to hit and with 6 units the only thing that can hose all of them again..... is neferata.... Other than that. I think this might do more damage over all once it gets in the thick of things. All be it with out the mortis engine moving guys about. It's a little slower.

List 3 ( I quit i'm gonna go watch Twilight):

Coven Throne

Vamp Lord wings

Vamp Lord wings

3x Blood knight squads

1x Vargiest

1x Vargiest

320x points or Bat swarms or fel bats

Tarpit bats and throne. Blood knights try to kabob people. Simple clean, and cheap with kit bashes from the hex wraiths i already have. Throwing on black knight shields and give banners and instruments.  Bats are easy to make from coven throne flying skulls.

TLDR: which seems cooler. 

• 1 month later...

Instead of the the bats you could leave the 320 over as summoning pool and bring on 2 units of hexwraiths or 40 skeletons to score objectives with. 

I was toying with a similar list 

vamp on zombie dragon (440)

vamp on a horsey 140

vamp on a horsey 140

3 x 5 blood Knights 780 

= 1500 

then 500pts of summoning (I was thinking cheap cast things like zombies, black Knights, spirit hosts, skeletons etc...) to flood the board behind the advancing Armour. However what's stopped me is that there is no formation option to drop in one go or two goes, so without the guarantee of chosing if you go first or not leaves you wide open to armies that have a good long reach shooting or can teleport/move really fast your open to getting attacked or bogged down or if they are smart limit where you can actually summon anything too, blood knights are tough but rend -1 shreds them sadly :-(

I like the spirit list but I feel like the nighthaunt heroes just lack depth, they definitely need some kind of wraith lord on a dragon or Mortarch of the Ethereal or something. But you could also get the mourngul in there as it has the nighthaunt keyword. 

I think if you want to do a summoning heavy army you are better off going a Mortarch and Morghasts for the + to summon. 

Blood knights are very dependent on getting their charge off to get their damage they synergize really well with Vamp on abyssal terror, it's such a shame some dufus left the soulblight keyword off that warscroll. 

6 hours ago, Justinian said:

I like the spirit list but I feel like the nighthaunt heroes just lack depth, they definitely need some kind of wraith lord on a dragon or Mortarch of the Ethereal or something. But you could also get the mourngul in there as it has the nighthaunt keyword. 

I think if you want to do a summoning heavy army you are better off going a Mortarch and Morghasts for the + to summon. 

Blood knights are very dependent on getting their charge off to get their damage they synergize really well with Vamp on abyssal terror, it's such a shame some dufus left the soulblight keyword off that warscroll. 

Soul blight wasn't a thing when he was a thing. That's kind of how stuff will mostly get phased out.

6 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Instead of the the bats you could leave the 320 over as summoning pool and bring on 2 units of hexwraiths or 40 skeletons to score objectives with. 

I was toying with a similar list 

vamp on zombie dragon (440)

vamp on a horsey 140

vamp on a horsey 140

3 x 5 blood Knights 780 

= 1500 

then 500pts of summoning (I was thinking cheap cast things like zombies, black Knights, spirit hosts, skeletons etc...) to flood the board behind the advancing Armour. However what's stopped me is that there is no formation option to drop in one go or two goes, so without the guarantee of chosing if you go first or not leaves you wide open to armies that have a good long reach shooting or can teleport/move really fast your open to getting attacked or bogged down or if they are smart limit where you can actually summon anything too, blood knights are tough but rend -1 shreds them sadly :-(

Made the list before we knew how summoning worked for sure. Now I'd definitely just use zombie dogs, skels, or hex wraiths for summoned walls and objective control.

The list works just teleporters getting the jump on you will ruin your day. Armies with teleporters that can deploy in battalions or something to get thier deployment done before you. Will auto win, and tour knights will lose thier whole first turn trying to retreat. 

To counter this this list is now: VLoZD (red fury), VlOZD (mist and shadow), 3x5 blood knights 

VLs go nuts. Red Fury obliterates units straight up, VLoZD defensively charges to make room for blood knights. He can also first turn assassinate quite a few things. 

Both VLs can summon if need be or summon a walk. Your still kinda screwed if your opponent has an all battalion army made of 2 or 3 battalion war scrolls. And teleporters or turn 1 charging units.

51 minutes ago, Nico said:

On my app at least the VLoAT is Soulblight.

The 5+ ward save gives at least some hope against Stormcast teleporting in with Starsoul Maces.

Ah yeah I just rechecked the warscroll and he is Soulblight. I guess I assumed cause he wasn't put in that subsection he wasn't. 

12 hours ago, Nico said:

On my app at least the VLoAT is Soulblight.

The 5+ ward save gives at least some hope against Stormcast teleporting in with Starsoul Maces.

Honestly I feel overall he is the best general, that's just my opinion though. 

VLoAT is a great hero for the spell, but command ability is "meh". The VLoZD seems to be the sweet spot for most Death generals. Good command ability (not quite top tier Settra, Nagash, Nef, Mann) but can still take a Command Trait. Of course he's pricey too.

On 6/30/2016 at 6:00 PM, Acid_Nine said:

how about instead of a coven throne, use a vampire lord on dragon! that thing is a friggen beast and can tank so much wounds with his magical shield.

Is this shield mean that he got 2 saves 4+ and if he fail then 3+, and is that shield work on mortal wounds i guess not but have to ask :P 

Archived