New Painter - Mr. Stimpson's WIP

You're far too kind.

Not the deepest recesses no. I try to get as deep as possible whilst leaving the darkest truly in there. Deep muscles, gaps between fingers. If you're in doubt less is more, leave that dark there. 

Try maybe using flock on parts of it too. Like I would paint it, and flock patches and turf some parts too. It'll look natural. What kind of base them are you thinking? Mine for example are deserty/savannah and I'll be including some ruins and flagstones too, to fit my fluff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, you deserve the praise. I'm going for a rockey, jagged landscape. I picked up a bunch of the mordheim turffs that I'll be adding into the bases as well. For the skin, I'll just have to work on my application one boy at a time. I think it'll just take constant application, and paint mixing, now that I've got great input to go on to get it to a point that I'm really happy with it. And as it goes on, I see it improving and I notice what makes application go along smoother each time.

What do you guys think of this metal? (I know it's "supposed" to be stone, but I want it to be metal to have another element that ties my Bonesplitters in with my Greenskins and Ironjaws, along with the blue hair)

052b9c44afe18859caa0b8e687de1454.jpg

08b6242c645b05bbdffbadd92b7828de.jpg

It's a base of Khorne Red with a dry brush of Mephiston Red, then a detail of Ironbreaker. I'm going to try to do a bit more liberal application of Mephiston Red (I may mix in a little neutral grey into the Meph to give it a slightly lighter tone) next time, a little less Ironbreaker, then a wash of black to tie all the colors together. If it works out I believe that's the color scheme I'm going to use for all the metal on my Greenskins and Ironjaws. Red and green makes me feel all warm inside. And I think the blue I'm using for the hair will look great with the green/red theme I have planned.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Here's the finished piece.

e088ea8efe6dba7cdd68205b370382dd.jpg

de31623b7e2806be392d24b27a5a2b71.jpg

17c40bd81d063573c7577abf0f49bc81.jpg

c59da41993bfed37d480670d9de73b44.jpg

I wanted to give dry brushing a go, so the front of the loin cloth and weapon hafts were highlighted using it. Lots of mistakes, but overall there are a few things that I feel I'm getting better at. Mainly consistency, highlighting (wet highlighting. I'm going to use dry brushing in the future for highlighting, but as a base highlight I think), washing, etc.

As always, input is appreciated.

Here are some WIP pictures of the latest model...

88a834e0c0edcabab4aaec66e45dc852.jpg

96d0570695a8d9082ad7d8c588271129.jpg

ac265b2e28bbe23f1371e9b18acc29a1.jpg

0a3c0c720536a3979e9f00583d3537a1.jpg

72ac83ce9a13a08205bad75f4d1c8a3e.jpg

7e44d8548b4018cb41332a8155958f63.jpg

I like the agrax wash a lot more than a black wash on the metal. It dulls it a lot less but still blends the two colors nicely. I still feel like I need to keep experimenting to get it how I want it before I start working on larger metal pieces such as Ironjawz. I think the hair turned out awesome and I'm going to do all the hair in my army like this. I really like the skin highlighting as well, and I think besides consistency issues I'm at a place where I'm happy with my skin (this is why I started with Bonesplitterz).

Looking great! leaps and bounds mate. Honestly, I'd stop there with the skin now, it's at a high tabletop standard. Also the brown wash on the metal really tied it all together, looks a lot better. I'd say now, think about using a different colour for your leather straps, currently they're the same as the wood.

Yup, they're looking good.  The trick I'm trying to use more is to place a model at the end of the dining table and look at it from the other end whilst eating my dinner, this allows you to test out using the magic "three-foot-rule".  If it looks good at three feet, it's good enough for a game!

Agrax Earthshade is a bit of a guilty pleasure in truth, a very versatile wash and can be used to blend a few different base colours together in one hit.

Only comment I would make is if you're toying with drybrushing for a highlight is to try it out first.  It's very easy to mess up a drybrush and have it come out chalky.  I personally prefer to layer up on a skin and think what you've done looks pretty good.  If you do decide to do a different leather colour as Soulsmith suggests, I personally like Mounfang Brown -> Agrax Earthshade wash -> Skrag Brown edge highlight.  It's really simple and looks surprisingly effective :)

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I think I'll leave dry brushing only for very specific areas (re: if I ever do a maw-crusha) but I do need to learn it in the meantime to the point where the stuff I do isn't chalky. I'll have to do some research on the technique (re: eat some brains) to gain some knowledge.

As for the skin, I just started another guy tonight (busy wednesday) and I'm glad to say that it's going faster, smoother, and exactly how I want it to go so I finally feel like I'm working less on the "how do I do" and more on the "how do I want" if that makes sense.

I took the suggestion about different strap colors and instead of making it a different color entirely, I decided to make it a point during my highlighting pass to do a very large highlight over the straps, then as I'm lightening up my highlight (my highlights start as dryad bark, then I make a few more passes with a little bit more pallad witch flesh each pass till I just barely dot on pure PWF just to bring out the parts where light would glint off an object) hit it again with a typical highlight. You can see it here kind of...

ca8b14c763554f19a7465aaae88f7808.jpg

I took baby steps on that one to see if I liked how it looked, and I was happy with it. But I'll be making the effect less subtile on my next one to make it look much more prominent.

The next thing I'm really excited to tackle is the armour and weathering technique where the armour's paint is wearing off and the metal is exposed underneath.

How do you guys think a full army of Ironjawz done in the color of that guys hair would look? This is something I thought of after I picked that hair scheme, but I think this picture really illustrates the theme I'm thinking of. With the blue being the primary, red the secondary.

51b90fab44eb049946b2f7ec267952bb.jpg

Looking good! Gonna make a really nice mob for sure. As to the colour of the ironjawz, I say go for it! Check out mitzys boys, they're bright blue. Maybe try a lot of rust on the edges and maybe even the salt technique ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input, Soul. I'll check it out.

Here's the start of my Ironjawz. Since this is my first hero I wanted to really try and do the best I possibly could with the skin, and I think it really shows.

061f10e7be1ce9c68e51e703fe926cf7.jpg

b36681219a30774d547aab66760f3e03.jpg

7bf89069b86693b63b51319fe4ff2ad2.jpg

2ee396de6f40c254e4c5f6ec123ac5b6.jpg

I'm not sure if the skin shows up well enough in the photos, but I tried to mix my highlight technique with a bit of blending and also make sure I really thought about what I hit with the first layer after the base/base/wash. I've left a lot more shade than I normally would, but I think it worked because I thinned down my shade about 50/50, so it blended with the base quite a bit.

This is by far the best skin I've done, so I'm going to really take my time with the armour since it will be my first set. But, I do have the second hair I did as a base for what I'm going to do on the armour, so it'll just be applying it over a larger surface and compensating for any problem that arises from that.

edit: base coated and ready for his armour and details tomorrow.

e3031375adbc163d342e8eeca0ab6819.jpg

a3abf36e778a3420c1918426563e7c60.jpg

Ha! Thanks, Soul. That means a lot.

Garaxia, here's my recipe (inspired by TheDuke here on TGA)...

1.  Prime black. I use rust-oleum sandable black automobile primer.

2.  2 thin layers of Elysian Green. It's ok if a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of black is showing through. It gives the colors a slightly darker tone.

3.  Wash with a mixture of 50% Athonian Camoshade and 50% Vallejo Thinner Medium (item #70.524). This wash should look almost grey with a tint of  very dirty green. Watch for pooling, otherwise be liberal.

4.  1 thin layer of Elysian Green over all raised portions and high-medium recesses.

5.  1 thin layer of 85-90% Elysian Green and 10-15% Ogryn Camo, thinned with Vallejo Thinner Medium, applied to the highest portions.

6.  1 thin layer of 75-80% Elysian Green and 20-25% Ogryn Camo, thinned with Vallejo Thinner Medium, applied as a fine highlight over your edges and to any areas with large muscles that you want to define. To do so I stripe along the "grain" of the muscle in very thin lines (as seen in the pictures below).

The process to mix the three ingredients in step 5 and 6 is to dip your paints out into two separate pools with another separate pool of Vallejo Thinner Medium right next to them. Then, dab your brush into the Vallejo Thinner Medium and gradually mix the Ogryn Camo into the Elysian Green until you have the desired pigment. The most important thing to keep in mind while mixing your Elysian Green and Ogryn Camo is that each mix you'll be applying should only be very slightly lighter than the base Elysian Green. As the desired effect is to blend them together, start with as little Ogryn Camo as possible until you hit that slightly lighter sweet spot. Test it on a very small area, if it's not noticeably lighter add a slight bit more Ogryn Camo until you can just barely notice the difference between the mixture and your Elysian Green. Then do it again in step 6, but this time you want it to be slightly more noticeable than the step 5 mixture. 

As you can tell, it's not an exact science, but as long as you test your mixes out in slightly lighter increments you'll do fine. And make sure they are thinned down well enough for smooth applications, but not so much that it pools.

Striping Example

94e7e59fc9175cc826b857f698d046a8.jpg

6b2c1adbd3ad9d31102b3836d18a9867.jpg

b8d0b11709ff495e9e3c10260264e1ac.jpg

e403f112fe22c047091d85c3299cbf4d.jpg

Well... I learned a few things. Mainly that I should have started with an Ardboys, and not a clam-shell, among other things. I'll do a longer write up on my blog after I base him and get some better photos.

edit; I purposefully went overboard with the wear because of the lore (the short: parajawz), but I know I need to sharpen it up. And I need to figure out wtf I'm doing with the armour's shade... In retrospect, I feel like I can tell I painted savage orruks before this because the bone and skin are probably my favorite things about the model. And for real, working with metal paints feels completely different that regular acrylics. I really need to get a handle on that.

I adore the savagery that have been captured in these minis, especially with the blood/gore showing them to be in the heat of battle

Thanks for the compliment, Ratzinkaiser. I appreciate it.

I really wish the Savage Orruk dex didn't ruin my desire to play them or I would have finished the unit, but as it stands I decided to just go straight Ironjawz until I see what the Greenskinz book has in store. Maybe I'll get a full table of the Blood Guzzlas in the future once my ire goes down, but I seriously doubt it.

My main issue is the removal of Choppa and Shiv boys being battleline, the removal of the Big Stabbas from those units, and the removal of warpaint.

Previously, I was planning on running them as my 10 man battleline unit in a mixed destruction force. But now they need shields, have no big Stabba, and have no anti mortal wound mechanic outside their allegiance ability, essentially gutting my plans for them as a mixed destruction, offensive, 10 man battline unit that can go against mortal wounds.

I know they're in a good place and their book did them well, but they just aren't what I want them to be for my own lists. They made them mesh less with mixed destruction, and more with their own sub-faction, something I wish we'd see less of to be honest.

The horns are a base of vellejo bone white, agrax wash, then a thin layer of bone white over the tips.

So after that warchanter I had a bit of a breakdown. I am not happy with it at all. About the only thing I did that I'm somewhat pleased with is how the bashing sticks and skin turned out... and that's not enough to base a whole army on.

I say that, because the root of my problem is my color choice and my poor application of the metal weathering. So I decided to step away from Orruks so I can look at things with a fresh set of eyes.

So I finally put some paint to my Exorcists Space Marines. The way I seen it, I'm stuck on Orruk armour, so why not paint some full armour models (much like I did with Bonesplitterz and Orruk skin)? So I painted this model...

2a81f9fde3b58efa1f48499b980250e4.jpg

1f74bd2bf7a7f7d98af66237fb4c4362.jpg

And am very pleased with a lot of it.

The thing that really hit me though was the lore that smacked me in the face. The Exorcists chapter, in a nutshell, is a chapter that steeps itself in the influence of Chaos. So much so, they allow their initiates to be possessed by a daemon. Either their initiates exorcise themselves, or they succumb to the possession and are purged by their brother Astartes. They do this because they believe it makes them stronger than your typical marine against the forces of Chaos.

That's not what hit me in the face though. What hit me was my idea for an Ironjawz army in the realm of fire that does nothing but hunt the forces of Khorne. They've done this for so long, that the entirety or their armory is made up of repurposed Khornite armour. They do this because they believe it not only makes them stronger against the armies of Khorne, but also as an insult to the Chaos god. So there will be lots of deep red, lots of brass, and lots of crazed Orruks cutting swaths into the armies of Khorne.

As long as the theme looks good on the next Ardboy I paint I'll be sticking with it and I'll pump out a unit of Ardboys in the colors of Khorne.

edit: I also have a metric ****** ton of Bloodbound models... maybe I'll use tons of bits to really make the army unique...

Archived