'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

Yeah a lot of people will be pissed if the allegiance isn't as good or better then base destruction.

3 hours ago, Dez said:

I think the biggest problem with the Weirdnob as a focus in a competitive setting has a few problems:

1. It's point cost. 120 points for a Mystic Shield buff when Grots get it for half price is tough to swallow
  2. You can only Mystic Shield 1 unit
  3. You can't rely on Foot, even with +2 to cast. Average on 2 dice is 7 and it is a 10 to cast. After that, it's random rolls at just above average. 
  4. "Hello, Weirdnob!" *PUNCH* /dropdeadweirdnob. 6 wounds is cool, but a 5+ save is not great. It's too easy to focus him off the board.

The mystic shield would go with the other shaman mostly to buff the brutes or megaboss.

Yeah a cast of 8 for foot is a gamble but crushing that Frostlord on Stonehorn from across the boars would be amazing. And don't forget the easy to cast puke which can severely weaken foot heroes and single wound units.

My plan we to bubble wrap him in Ardboys and give him the talisman as well. 

But yeah I don't know. Still on the fence. I just want the allegiance abilities to come out so I can figure out more stuff. As it stands Bonesplitterz are looking to be the best. They can deal with beastclaw better then anyone

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are fantastic tar pits, they are the 'chaff' of our army. I'm building a second unit now, and I'm going to play around with increasing the unit to 6 to see what they can do.

The second Weirdnob to buff is kinda expensive for what you get, especially if you are playing MSU Ironjawz. I'd rather get a powerhouse like the Megaboss and have better offense.

Ok how about...

Ironjawz
Orruk Megaboss ×2
Orruk Warchanter ×2
Ironfist:
Brutes ×10
Brutes ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ardboys ×10
Gore-Gruntas ×3
1940pts

2 good uses for battle brew, buffs for the 2 killy units(brutes), Ardboys for objectives and piggys for...gap filling? Moving around to harass I guess. Comes to 1940pts...I wanted to hit 2k even but don't know what to do. Another Warchanter would be 2020. 

I'm trying to build a list that will fit a maw-krusha and still have hitting power and bodies too...

11 minutes ago, Orruk said:

So is the general consensus that Gordrakk is no good for competitive play? Is that because he is just too expensive? 

Just wondering this myself! I've only tried the mini version so far, who's good but doesn't really feel worth his 520pts. Gordrakk seems so enticing for his damage and the potential turn 2 carnage when the whole army gets in! 

On on another note, how did ironjawz do at warlords? 

2 hours ago, FunkyPunk said:

Just wondering this myself! I've only tried the mini version so far, who's good but doesn't really feel worth his 520pts. Gordrakk seems so enticing for his damage and the potential turn 2 carnage when the whole army gets in! 

On on another note, how did ironjawz do at warlords? 

What about this list with Gordrakk? 

On average you could move + charge 23" with his ability. That means if you roll an 8 or higher on your ability and battalion rule it could be turn 1 carnage! 

Ironfist + rampaging destroyers: ~7"

Ravager: +2"

Brute M: +4"

Gordrakk ability charge: +~10"

image.png

8 minutes ago, Orruk said:

What about this list with Gordrakk? 

On average you could move + charge 23" with his ability. That means if you roll an 8 or higher on your ability and battalion rule it could be turn 1 carnage! 

Ironfist + rampaging destroyers: ~7"

Ravager: +2"

Brute M: +4"

Gordrakk ability charge: +~10"

image.png

Yep that's almost exactly what I'm playing around with, although thinking potentially about dropping the gore gruntas for either ardboys for more objective wounds or brutes for damage. I'm playing a game on weds so I'll see how that works out.

That's almost my list as well just with mini maw-krusha instead. I think gordrakk is too spendy but man is his abilities tempting. He can and will murder any hero. Better so against wizards. They his CA makes an ironfist super brutal.

My list...

Megaboss on Maw-krusha
Megaboss
Orruk Warchanter
Weirdnob Shaman
Ironfist:
Brutes ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ardboys ×10
Gore-Gruntas ×3
2000pts

10 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

If you have gordrakk as the general so he can use his command trait then you cannot select the ravages trait for him as he is a named character so you lose the 2" extra move :-)

Great point! I think I'll stick to the ol' Megaboss on Krusha for now. 

Battle brew (or potentially hammerblade vs hordes) for him?

I think it's the points, because Gordrakk is great. More boots on the ground can be a good thing with Ironjawz for sure. One other item to consider is he is a bit squishy to mortal wounds, he can't take the Talisman. He's more a paper mache wrecking ball than a glass cannon :)

so i just got the get started box and trying to find out what else i need to make competitive 2k list. So far it seems i need

1 box of ardboyz

4 boxs of brutes

1 shammy

1 gordrakk

1 megaboss

---------------------

so after ordering that ill have

20 boyz

20 brutes

3 gore-grunta

1 Megaboss

1 Orruk Warchanter
1 Weirdnob Shaman

1 Gordrakk

am i missing anything else

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 5:37 PM, Garxia said:

If they ever do the Ironjawz allegiance traits/items/spells, they should be really really really good to be even considered to be picked over the Destruction ones.

Rampaging destroyers is really strong with Ironjaws, covering our most glaring weakness: mobility and just not forget at little candies like the Battle Brew...

I think you're completely right. I really struggle to see what they can do that would be better than the generic Destruction stuff for us. Still pretty exciting though!

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, Malakithe said:

Serious question...what actual role do gore-gruntas have if an ironfist+rampaging is better/faster?

The models are amazing but I'm having trouble including them

IMO they are 100% only worth including because of aesthetics. The models are cool and they add another element to what is otherwise a full infantry army + one monsters. So for presentation they are important. However, this is the competitive thread and in that sense they have no place in my opinion. You will hear of people having joy with them though, which is good - be boring if we all thought the same. I personally disagree with the tarpit argument, I think Ardboyz with Shields are better in that role.

11 minutes ago, Drillz said:

so after ordering that ill have

20 boyz

20 brutes

3 gore-grunta

1 Megaboss

1 Orruk Warchanter
1 Weirdnob Shaman

1 Gordrakk

am i missing anything else

That's a very solid, standard selection of Ironjawz models that will let you build most builds. The most common would be Cabbage, Megaboss, Shaman, Chanter, Ironfist 5 units. Will give you a solid core to play some games with and decide which units you prefer on the table top.

The joy of Ironjawz units (as stated many many times here) is that they are all 180 points so it's super easy to switch around.

Have fun and let us know your thoughts after some games! :) 

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

IMO they are 100% only worth including because of aesthetics. The models are cool and they add another element to what is otherwise a full infantry army + one monsters. So for presentation they are important. However, this is the competitive thread and in that sense they have no place in my opinion. You will hear of people having joy with them though, which is good - be boring if we all thought the same. I personally disagree with the tarpit argument, I think Ardboyz with Shields are better in that role.

Any ideas on making them more worthwhile?

27 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Any ideas on making them more worthwhile?

Their glaring weakness is the mediocre attack profile on the Gore-Gruntas themselves and the bizarrely written special rule for their charge bonus. I'd start with some combination of Rend -1 on the charge, +1 to Wound and easing the requirements on the Gruntas' D3 damage for charging 8". It's pretty silly they can't move into easy charge range without sacrificing that rule completely.

The flipside is that if Brutes are fast enough to never make you need the Gruntas' movement, they'll always struggle for relevance.

Archived