TGA Book Club: The Gates of Azyr [Caution Spoilers]

Uveron

Introduction: Yesterday, I talked about starting some threads to review, and talk about the Black Library books. [LINK], I mention that the first book I was reading was Hammerhal and other Stories. Well that turned out to be a lie, as I was stuck without my book today so I read The Gates of Azyr, and well as it’s the first AOS Book… so why not start with that!  

Note: If people want to start other threads for other books, that’s cool. I am not sure what books I will have access to in the future; I would like to read all the AOS books that exist. (A doable goal unlike the 40k side of things)

So if you have read the book already, then jump on in. If not read the book and Jump in! And Yes I know this a Novella (120 pages) not a Novel.  And the whole thing is a gratuitous tie in with the starter box, you have been warned. 

Overview: The Gates of Azyr by Chris Wraight

“Korghos Khul rampages across the fiery Realm of Aqshy, hunting down mortal kind to slaughter or subjugate to Khorne. His Goretide have crushed all resistance... until the storm. Sent by Sigmar, the Stormcast Eternals have come to liberate all the realms from the yoke of Chaos”

The story opens with an introduction into the Stormcasts. Focus is given to leader ‘Vandus Hammerhand’, who is one of the main points of view  for the story, but it also describes the forces of the Stormcasts and introduces the mysterus Ionus.

Following this we get an introduction into the Realm of fire in the Age of Chaos with some forgettable humans and other Chaos characters one of which is Khorgos Khul; we see some internal fighting and we learn that Khul is wandering around looking for a final Skull so he can become a Daemon Prince. For some reason he thinks that the leader of the forgettable humans may be that skull.

But before he reaches them the Stormcasts appear and the Chaos forces forget the forgettable humans and then do battle. The Bloodbound trying to kill a worthy opponent, and the Stormcasts holding them back, while trying to get a realm gate open, and when it finaly opens the overwhelming force of the reinforcements drive back the forces of Chaos, allowing a ‘beachhead’ to be formed.

Over a number of sequences in the story, Khuls and Vandus’s history is explored and Khul realizes its Vandus’s Skull he needs for to achive ascendency.  So they do battle and just as Vandus is about to kill Khul, Vandus is overwhelmed by some blood warriors and Khul escapes to twist his mustache another day.

During this dual with Khul, Vandus realizes he is not in the realm of fire to save it, it has already been lost. But He is here to build something anew. After the battle there is a touching moment when the forgettable humans reappear and the Stormcasts realize that there are non-chaos humans around, so I guess they have some liberating to do anyhow.  

My Thoughts:

• I thought it was a good little read,  not quite the introduction into the Age of Sigmar I would have wanted, but not sure how to have done it any other way.
  • I liked the background for Vandus and Khul, though I did ponder if Vandus had killed Khul, would Khuls skull have been the last warlord of the realm of fire, thus turning his sole into a deamon prince and he escapes death? That would have been a great twist…
  • I would have liked more from the humans who were not stormcast, I almost feel that more of the battle should have been from their POV, as It may have helped add something extra to the story.
  • Quick word about Ionus, I didn’t cover him much in the overview, but he is a interesting chap, hope he pops up again in the stories of the future. But other than saying WHO IS HE? Not sure what at this point I can say..
  • It does make me want to read Warstorm next. Which I own in digital, but having issues loading on my bad network connection. (I live and work on an oil rig), once I get it loaded onto my phone I will start to read it.  So I think the book does what its supposed todo... 

Uverons Overall Rating. 5/10.

It was a page turner and will be the bar that other stories will be measured too.. But it was a bit lacking, and I dont think its perfect and but having seen it reviewed badly in some places I think some hate was piled on because it was the first book after the end of the world that was. 

Discussion:

So tell me what you think!

Where possible let’s keep the conversations limited to stuff that is in this book. If we reference stuff from future books, use spoiler tags. In the future, I will list threads that have come before it as far as a series is concerned, and we will presume that all books upto that point is fair game… (That sounds fair right?)  

Now I am off to finish Hammerhal & Other Stories.

The novella was alright as a tie in primer for AoS. I think Wraight is one of the best writers BL has right now, so his effort had more weight to it than in some of the other novels (even if it was short). I'd really like to see him tackle a full novel for AoS but I imagine he is tied up with the Heresy and 40k. 

Ionus was my favorite character and I was really excited to see what was done with him.  I was really hoping for a cool reveal.

1 minute ago, Lukeovich said:

The novella was alright as a tie in primer for AoS. I think Wraight is one of the best writers BL has right now, so his effort had more weight to it than in some of the other novels (even if it was short). I'd really like to see him tackle a full novel for AoS but I imagine he is tied up with the Heresy and 40k. 

Ionus was my favorite character and I was really excited to see what was done with him.  I was really hoping for a cool reveal.

I do think they have a collection of good writers, its just getting them on the right projects, and AoS doesn't draw many of them in.. But It would be nice to see him work on a full novel, or is needed just a series of good Novellas are fine when published in the right format. (He says thinking of the days of 'Inferno') 

I picked up the ebook version of Gates of Azyr when there was a special offer on Amazon.  I think it acts as a great primer for when the starter set came out and is a pretty decent scene setter for the rest of the Realmgate Wars series.  It (and much of the series) is very focused on Sigmar's golden warriors and setting the scene that Chaos has been in control and the Stormcast have the capability to bring back some balance.  Unusually for a Black Library book, you don't actually need very much imagination as all of the characters have a model within the game.

For anybody who didn't completely enjoy it or felt it was a little lack lustre I'd suggest sticking with the series, I'm part way through book 4 (Call of Archaon) and it's certainly the best I've read so far (it's also largely Chaos focused).

I largely agree with @RuneBrush this book does a good job of setting the scene and breathing life into your minis in the starter set. Only real downside I see is that the Khorne characters are all very generic evil finger pointing types. However being the first in the series it sets up the protagonists well.

I also agree that Call of Archaon (which I finished last night) is by far the best book in the series so far.

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I picked up the ebook version of Gates of Azyr when there was a special offer on Amazon.  I think it acts as a great primer for when the starter set came out and is a pretty decent scene setter for the rest of the Realmgate Wars series.  It (and much of the series) is very focused on Sigmar's golden warriors and setting the scene that Chaos has been in control and the Stormcast have the capability to bring back some balance.  Unusually for a Black Library book, you don't actually need very much imagination as all of the characters have a model within the game.

For anybody who didn't completely enjoy it or felt it was a little lack lustre I'd suggest sticking with the series, I'm part way through book 4 (Call of Archaon) and it's certainly the best I've read so far (it's also largely Chaos focused).

I have to agree about the need for imagination, oddly thinking about it I have to say this is one of my problems with the book! I found the idea that there was only one Bloodsecrator, and that somehow he had fought his way to near the throne of khorne a little, odd. May be its the pilgrimage that all Bloodsecrator's have to take or something, or that Khul is gullible, and belives some tall tales. 

4 hours ago, Charles said:

I largely agree with @RuneBrush this book does a good job of setting the scene and breathing life into your minis in the starter set. Only real downside I see is that the Khorne characters are all very generic evil finger pointing types. However being the first in the series it sets up the protagonists well.

I also agree that Call of Archaon (which I finished last night) is by far the best book in the series so far.

It is a common problem for the Chaos guys being a little to stereotypical, but these are followers of Khorne and he isn't the most subtle patron around. That being said I liked the Bloodreavers saying 'Blood for the Blood God' and beaning unsure where they learnt the words, suggests a level of innate corruption that was a nice touch.    

2 minutes ago, Uveron said:

It is a common problem for the Chaos guys being a little to stereotypical, but these are followers of Khorne and he isn't the most subtle patron around. That being said I liked the Bloodreavers saying 'Blood for the Blood God' and beaning unsure where they learnt the words, suggests a level of innate corruption that was a nice touch.    

It’s also common write across the fantasy genre, Stephan King always struggled with bad guys as well.

However I think they nail the Khorne Bloodbound characters in the Call of Archaon. But I won’t spoil it any more. 

Just now, Charles said:

It’s also common write across the fantasy genre, Stephan King always struggled with bad guys as well.

However I think they nail the Khorne Bloodbound characters in the Call of Archaon. But I won’t spoil it any more. 

Oh yep, its a common problem. Now I do think writing bad guys is something that most of the good Black Library Authors do well.   It in many ways is my litmus test, between the good and bad authors... Iam looking forward to Call of Archaon (Though Iam about to read part of it, as Beneath the Black Thumb is included in the Hammerhal and Other Stories anthology Black Library have recently put out as a 'Start Here' for the Age of Sigmar fiction. 

And on that subject, I finished the novella Hammerhal bu Josh Reynolds the other day, and it had some very good villains in it.   

(I also have See No Evil as a epub, that i got from GW as part of the supply drop deal they had last year.. but going to hold of reading that until I read the rest of the Call of Archeon stuff)

2 hours ago, Uveron said:

I have to agree about the need for imagination, oddly thinking about it I have to say this is one of my problems with the book! I found the idea that there was only one Bloodsecrator, and that somehow he had fought his way to near the throne of khorne a little, odd. May be its the pilgrimage that all Bloodsecrator's have to take or something, or that Khul is gullible, and belives some tall tales. 

I know what you mean.  What I've found though is reading some of the earlier stories and Battletomes, is that Khul is portrayed as the only Lord of Khorne and his Goretide the only Khorne force in existence.  I think as time has gone on and the almost infinite size of the Realms has become apparent, we realise that this Novella is only a tiny snippet - though the most relevant to the Stormcast story arc.  I also think that although the Throne of Khorne is a physical thing in the Realm of Chaos, it's possible to almost manifest it in another Realm (thought portals, prayers etc).

3 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I know what you mean.  What I've found though is reading some of the earlier stories and Battletomes, is that Khul is portrayed as the only Lord of Khorne and his Goretide the only Khorne force in existence.  I think as time has gone on and the almost infinite size of the Realms has become apparent, we realise that this Novella is only a tiny snippet - though the most relevant to the Stormcast story arc.  I also think that although the Throne of Khorne is a physical thing in the Realm of Chaos, it's possible to almost manifest it in another Realm (thought portals, prayers etc).

That is s good thought about the Throne of Khorne, Iam going to keep my eyes open as I read in further to the books to see how it talks about other parts forces of Khorne, even more so if they get revisited in books post the realm gate wars. 

I do think the Novella did have issues with a sense of scale.  It talked about hordes and countless numbers,  but then the action was between the same set of individuals, and the fact that it was a tie into the box game, my mind kept wanting to shrink the size of the battle down.. Now I find this a common problem with books, when I was a kid (6/7) I read the Lord of the Rings books, I never  imagined large armies that we see in the movies. 

Whilst I found the book predictable (and this was what I did expect), I was very enjoyably surprised by the human aspect found in the early stages. Also pleasantly shocked by how visceral some of the language is in regards to the bloodbound. Picked up the audiobook, the real takeaway is Jonathon Keeble is a fantastic narrator.

I enjoyed the book it was a nice start point for the setting. It was by no means the whole story just an initial snap shot of the opening moves of the Realmgate Wars. 

I rather liked the human survivors’ perspective  a desperate and bleak existence, very very dark and clearly set a very different tone to WFB. 

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Whilst I found the book predictable (and this was what I did expect), I was very enjoyably surprised by the human aspect found in the early stages. Also pleasantly shocked by how visceral some of the language is in regards to the bloodbound. Picked up the audiobook, the real takeaway is Jonathon Keeble is a fantastic narrator.

Yes!I agree about the language.. I kinda wish I had the audiobook,  in the last few years I have listend to way more books than I have read. (Something my current job is trying to change it appears)

5 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I enjoyed the book it was a nice start point for the setting. It was by no means the whole story just an initial snap shot of the opening moves of the Realmgate Wars. 

I rather liked the human survivors’ perspective  a desperate and bleak existence, very very dark and clearly set a very different tone to WFB. 

The Humans were one of the best parts of the book, and if the story had been lengthen, I would have liked to see more from that point of view, it may have helped build the would a touch more and reduce much of the hate directed at this novella (Not on the this site, but in general on the web)

On 11/16/2017 at 7:23 AM, Uveron said:

I found the idea that there was only one Bloodsecrator, and that somehow he had fought his way to near the throne of khorne a little, odd. May be its the pilgrimage that all Bloodsecrator's have to take or something, or that Khul is gullible, and belives some tall tales. 

Thankfully, In reading assault on mandrake basition, a novella within the Hammerrhal & Other Stories  Anthology have introduced another Bloodsecrator who doesnt appear to have had the same backstory. So minor ret-con may have happend. 

On 18/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, Uveron said:

Thankfully, In reading assault on mandrake basition, a novella within the Hammerrhal & Other Stories  Anthology have introduced another Bloodsecrator who doesnt appear to have had the same backstory. So minor ret-con may have happend. 

Yep, there's more than one. But as with Skullgrinders, there's Bloodsecrators and then there's Bloodsecrators...

On 11/16/2017 at 6:47 PM, Uveron said:

Yes!I agree about the language.. I kinda wish I had the audiobook,  in the last few years I have listend to way more books than I have read. (Something my current job is trying to change it appears)

The Humans were one of the best parts of the book, and if the story had been lengthen, I would have liked to see more from that point of view, it may have helped build the would a touch more and reduce much of the hate directed at this novella (Not on the this site, but in general on the web)

I do agree with this I think more could of been done to set the stage of the setting so to speak but overall I think it's a rather good introduction novel. Uveron I think you should do more of these threads to discuss the various novels I think they are pretty great to be honest. 

26 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

Yep, there's more than one. But as with Skullgrinders, there's Bloodsecrators and then there's Bloodsecrators...

My sides hurt reading this comment. 

38 minutes ago, shinros said:

I do agree with this I think more could of been done to set the stage of the setting so to speak but overall I think it's a rather good introduction novel. Uveron I think you should do more of these threads to discuss the various novels I think they are pretty great to be honest. 

Thanks Shinros, I do plan on it. Just need to finish another book!(Currently working though Hammerhall and other Stories, (Its just $8 for papper back, and $9 for the Audio version go read it and then we can talk about it!) Hopeing to get that thread started by Friday. 

But I do plan over the next year to try and get though all the books, Given the size of the AoS back catalog I think its possible to read all the Books out there.. Unlike the 40K side of things.  

1 hour ago, JReynolds said:

Thanks! Its what I expected when I read the Gates of Azyr, it was more of an interesting note. Given that the whole novella is a with the starter box, it surprised me how the Stormcasts 'units' were described and the indication of many others occupying the same ranks was give, where as the bloodbound gave very much the more 'One and Only' feel,  which as far as the narrative was good.. but the whole setting was finding its feet.  

10 minutes ago, Uveron said:

Which book is that from? 

I dont have the call of Archeon Yet. 

I don't know. It's mentioned very briefly in the Faction Guide which usually implies there is something more on it. All I have is This which is my problem.

Not Call of Archaon. Call of Chaos was a series of short stories released during the 2015 advent callendar. I need to know some more details about Cruciax of the Blunted Knives.

4 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I have it what would you like to know? 

Most importantly I need to know the following about Cruciax of the Blunted Knives:

• What is his race.
  • What unit type is he? Assuming he is human is he a Chaos Warrior or
  • What group does he belong to and if it's a Slaaneshi faction is it Slaves to Darkness or Hosts of Slaanesh.

Besides that I could use anything, like names of places and characters.

On 24/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, Ashendant said:

Most importantly I need to know the following about Cruciax of the Blunted Knives:

• What is his race.
  • What unit type is he? Assuming he is human is he a Chaos Warrior or
  • What group does he belong to and if it's a Slaaneshi faction is it Slaves to Darkness or Hosts of Slaanesh.

Besides that I could use anything, like names of places and characters.

The story doesn’t  mention his race which usually indicates a human as they don’t need to describe them. 

He is described as a Chaos Champion in the service of the Chaos Lord Shahleah (who is female). He wear’s an outfit of half mail half belts which possess spikes which face out and in.  He is covered in blue and pink tattoos, which look like bruises.  He fights with a chain. He does lead a group of warriors who are mentioned as being as tough as Blightkings and as ferocious as Gorechosen so possibly the champion of Chaos warriors or Chosen  

The Warband is described as Seekers and is exculsively mortal and they aren’t all mounted so I’d suggest Slaves to Darkness is the best fit 

Archived