Bloodied and glorified.

Arkiham

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a totally off the wall Warherd Army.  Bullgors with great weapons are amazing when the dice go for you (Took a drake down in a single round), or dreadful when they dont (failed to wound a skink priest!).  I think Warherds base of bullgor with brayherd horde chaff and wizard would work better, maybe 3 doombulls, 3x6 bullgor, 1 Gorgon,  plus 400 points of ungors etc would work better.

Its never gonna win, but you could mid table comfortably with that kinda list, and pick up soft scores ontop.

11 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

I took a totally off the wall Warherd Army.  Bullgors with great weapons are amazing when the dice go for you (Took a drake down in a single round), or dreadful when they dont (failed to wound a skink priest!).  I think Warherds base of bullgor with brayherd horde chaff and wizard would work better, maybe 3 doombulls, 3x6 bullgor, 1 Gorgon,  plus 400 points of ungors etc would work better.

Its never gonna win, but you could mid table comfortably with that kinda list, and pick up soft scores ontop.

Going to tournaments with a kinda unreliable and relatively weak army and - by using your experience and skill - actually being more than a minor inconvenience for the top tier armies is quite a feat and a win in itself.

My hat's off to you!

7 minutes ago, Aginor said:

My hat's off to you!

Agreed! Really cool to see!! (Definitely gives me some motivation for the weeks of painting ahead of me..)

18 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

I took a totally off the wall Warherd Army.

@Paul Buckler: Would you mind sharing the list you used (even though you consider it totally

off the wall)? :D 

16 hours ago, Bagrar said:

Agreed! Really cool to see!! (Definitely gives me some motivation for the weeks of painting ahead of me..)

@Paul Buckler: Would you mind sharing the list you used (even though you consider it totally

off the wall)? :D 

Yep it was

Allegiance: Chaos
Doombull (120)
- General
- Axe & Shield
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman
Doombull (120)
- Great Axe
Doombull (120)
- Great Axe
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (160)
- Allies
6 x Bullgors (360)
- Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (180)
- Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (180)
- Great Axes
3 x Dragon Ogors (160)
- Draconic War-glaives
- Allies
Ghorgon (200)
Ghorgon (200)
Ghorgon (200)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 320 / 400

Included Dragon Ogors and shaggoth to make it even worse!

IMHO the number of factions don't indicate diversity at all, it's the type of lists.  If you have 5 different factions in the top 5 and all of them are doing mortal wounds spam, or dudespam, or monster spam, or whatnot that's IMHO not really diversity, but pretending there's diversity while there's stagnation because it's only the same type of thing, yet people will laud everything for being "so diverse" when it's really not.

That said, curious about the KO list as I've heard they are rather bad in general.

Lists always seem to be a big thing post events and B&G is obviously attracting attention due to the size of the field.  There was a feedback from available at the event (i filled mine in) but does anyone have any thoughts on how important list checking/sharing is to the event (or perception of the event from the outside)?

Clearly we cant expect Ben (or Mark or rest of the team) to personally check lists during/prior to the event, I wonder would people on here be willing to offer their time to sense check and compile for release for events? (like a volunteer pool organisers could call on)   Im involved in (non-gaming) events quite often and volunteer effort is what makes/breaks events or sets them above the rest.

4 minutes ago, wayniac said:

That said, curious about the KO list as I've heard they are rather bad in general.

My KO list is Mhornar and a little different to Ziflin lists (as different as you can be with 3/4 core units to use).  However my -terrible- finish position is entirely a reflection of my lack-of-ability and recklessness, and not of the list :D

59 minutes ago, wayniac said:

IMHO the number of factions don't indicate diversity at all, it's the type of lists.  If you have 5 different factions in the top 5 and all of them are doing mortal wounds spam, or dudespam, or monster spam, or whatnot that's IMHO not really diversity, but pretending there's diversity while there's stagnation because it's only the same type of thing, yet people will laud everything for being "so diverse" when it's really not.

So there where 5 different list and the thing they have in common in your opinion is that they have one (of or some mix) of a lot of monsters or a lot of dudes or maybe did a lot of mortal wounds or whatnot? ?

To me it seems like the thing they really have in common is that they are all good list. ? That will be hard o remove without making the game completly random IMO.

PS: I get that there are some attributs that most good list will have. I just thought your post was a bit funny. ?

On 09/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, Kramer said:

Good remark. 

I personally am surprised that Slaanesh didn't score higher. The combination of the slaves to darkness with Host of Slaanesh with 3! command abilities could be huge. (unless I got it wrong, but I always read the rules as: if everything shares the SLAANESH keyword they can acces the abilities and traits)

Together with a mage, it should be quite possible to triple buff a big squad of knights to re-roll 1's, double pile in, and with run& charge or extra attacks on 6's. They have magic, speed, horde units (daemonic and marauder), and the before mentioned command abilities. They might be lacking some big beasties or hard as nails heroes. But still...

I was surprised at my own standings and others with the army to be fair also. 

I ended the tournament with two losses and four wins however 2 were minor and my soft scores were poor due to painting the army in 3 weeks. Which is why I fell behind all the people on 3 major wins. 

The two losses came from andy hughes who won it. I made a massive mistake in deployment but if I were to play again I think it would be much closer. 

The second was against a stormcast army which I tabled but couldn't get the points back fast enough. 

Slaanesh knights are crazy good though and slaanesh as a whole can easily reach the top tables. 

To be fair mid table is probably where I deserved to be given the lack of game time with the army and my general skill level. But having utilised it I believe it can definitely push towards the higher placements soon. 

Basically give it a go. They are a fun  powerful army to use. 

7 hours ago, wayniac said:

This is quite right, and I want to highlight it, because I think your post and ones like it have been unfairly dispersed in an effort to paint a brighter picture. It's very important to define what we mean by diversity, as rooting for your team (GA) aside, the diversity that really matters I think is in types of armies, not what races the dudes happen to be.

"Why do you like [your army]?" The answer is usually, besides aesthetics and lore, "I like their playstyle."

And so this person might not be thrilled if Ironjawz are only competitive (or buffed to be competitive) by being given green skyfires and waaghzor shamen. Or a BCR player would be sad actually if he gets buffed by making frost sabers have the exact stats of vulkite berserkers, so now his army isn't elite behemoths at all, it's just 90 frost sabers with wintersling shields and frostpicks.

Now  some things are just going to be good or better mechanically in this game than others, and that's perfectly fine. High Movement. Flying. Teleports, and the like are just going to be some of the best things you can do in a movement based tactical wargame. The concept of mortal wounds are unavoidable consistent damage, and are probably going to be strong, but playstyle diversity is quite important, as it's one of the main reasons people have chosen their armies in the first place. When the Fun Thing is also the Wrong Way To Play, players tend to do the less fun thing with a better chance of winning, which is a shame but a psychological phenomenon of gaming.

To temper my point a little though, we don't want to over-simplify the gameplay either. "All the best lists have movement shenanigans" is probably too general (but true). Also, on that other kind of diversity, of course every army should be at least within a stone's throw of similar power level, something that is clearly not the case yet.

hi all took this breyherd list to B&G 

1 beast lord

2 shamman

3x 30 gor

10 bestgore

30 ungore archers

3x chariots

giant

cockatrice

jabba

100 points for summon a extra cockatrice

army played really well in 5 out of 6 games, basically it doesn't kill much but scores loads of points, dropping the giant though it was very poor 

Archived