Where can I buy brets

Dragon10

I buy/sell stuff on Bartertown (www.bartertown.com) and Miniswap (reddit.com/r/miniswap). Facebook groups can be a good source too, as can Ebay although the prices are often a touch higher there. I have some bret stuff for sale now, although it's not a complete army or anything. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

34 minutes ago, Dragon10 said:

I am in Australia which makes things a little harder 

I have been buying some Bret stuff off ebay recently and I have been surprised by the high prices.  There is still quite a large demand for some of that stuff. I would definitely case the local shops and traders, will definitely be cheaper.     

15 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

I have been buying some Bret stuff off ebay recently and I have been surprised by the high prices.  There is still quite a large demand for some of that stuff. I would definitely case the local shops and traders, will definitely be cheaper.     

It seems to have been flooded recently (in the UK at least) with lots of sellers seemingly dumping whole Bretonnian armies piecemeal.  Prices were quite high but made sense when you only got 1 unit or so a week and had bidding battles, now everyone is coming in with high starting prices or Buy-it-now despite there being 20 times as many options.  Id have a good look at what stuff has sold for before you bid on anything at the moment, prices are too high and I think some will cave and drop to get a sale.

18 minutes ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Do they have to be official Bret models? If not have a look at Fireforge Games, they do great alternative plastic models that would work great for Brets.

I really like those Fireforge models! 

They are a more accurate 28mm scale though so they look a bit small - even next to the older GW models.

I assume @Dragon10 is not planning to use them for Age of Sigmar anyway so  should be able to avoid that awkward moment when your noble knight realises his horse puts him at a good level to hit someone in the knee-cap.

20 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

They are a more accurate 28mm scale though so they look a bit small - even next to the older GW models.

I assume @Dragon10 is not planning to use them for Age of Sigmar anyway so  should be able to avoid that awkward moment when your noble knight realises his horse puts him at a good level to hit someone in the knee-cap.

I plan to use them for age of sigmar , is this a bad idea?

34 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

13 minutes ago, Dragon10 said:

I ran into this issue.  The Fireforge minis are great, I really like the foot Sergeants, but that are a bit smaller than even Old World GW models.  For example they are smaller than Bret Men At Arms and look off standing next to them.  Given this I would be worried about setting them next to something like Stormcast, they would look tiny.

Just now, Dragon10 said:

Yes and No!

If you will enjoy painting them and putting them on the table you should just go for the army you like and make the most of them. 

If you are equally focused on enjoying the gaming side you will probably have more fun with an army that has been developed specifically for this game. There isn't a proper set of rules for Brets in AoS and they don't really belong in the setting.

I started AoS with basically a Dark Elf army - because I loved them in warhammer fantasy but never got around to collecting them (one of my mates always had them). A lot of the models are still vaguely current and we just got allegiance abilites for one sub-faction but even then they are under developed compared to the other armies I use (Blades of Khorne, Slaves to Darkness & Stormcast)

I think you can have fun in some friendly games with your mates if you collect the Brets but I would not have them as my only army. 

Unless you really like playing good guys, there is a weird, out-of-the-ordinary way to play a version of Brettonia. Josh Reynold's Plague Garden (and I think one or two other AoS tales I haven't read by him) has a group of chaos knights on Ghyran who call themselves the Order of the Fly and are very similar to what it would be like if Brettonia had actually worshiped Nurgle. Complete with a mysterious Lady and a magical Chalice of Flies that gives 'blessings' to those who drink from it. If I was ever gonna build a chaos army, I'd do either Slaves to Darkness or Nurgle allegiance with converted Brettonian models. :D

11 hours ago, GammaMage said:

Unless you really like playing good guys, there is a weird, out-of-the-ordinary way to play a version of Brettonia. Josh Reynold's Plague Garden (and I think one or two other AoS tales I haven't read by him) has a group of chaos knights on Ghyran who call themselves the Order of the Fly and are very similar to what it would be like if Brettonia had actually worshiped Nurgle. Complete with a mysterious Lady and a magical Chalice of Flies that gives 'blessings' to those who drink from it. If I was ever gonna build a chaos army, I'd do either Slaves to Darkness or Nurgle allegiance with converted Brettonian models. :D

But, but, bit Brett's are supposed to worship wood elves?

Hahaha

I just glanced over the compendium,, and looking at the Brettonia warscrolls, they seem like they have good attacks and synergy, but are bit overcosted for what they do. Most of the units are mounted and super-fast. What you will be missing is army-specific Allegiance abilities and artifacts. You can use the Order ones though.

If, as you say, it's hard for you to find Bret, it seems like you're going through a lot of effort to collect an army that is discontinued. I play Darkling Covens that are still a (mostly) supported army, but even then I sometimes get frustrated with how much better stuff like Ironjaws, Khorne and Stormcast are. I get that the units look cool, and they do, but do you really want to spend time and money acquiring units that will in the end probably struggle against the armies that have their own battletomes?

A different option for a cavalry army might be to look at the Stormcast Vanguard chamber, or one of the Great Cities from Firestorm. Tempest's Eye has the Swifthawk Agents, Kharadron and Free Peoples in it, while Hallowheart has Order Draconis, Phoenix Temple and Free Peoples.

Archived