Letting go (is hard to do)

I sell lots of stuff in various places and have streamlined my collection a lot in recent months.

I have two young kids and very little hobby time so I need to keep some discipline in my hobby life. I now just have my Stormcasts, Raven Guard, Death Guard and BloodBowl stuff that regularly sees the table.

I have my old dwarfs army in a box in my lift along with my Malifaux and Zombicide stuff for future fun.

I have no regrets about clearing out minis, painted or not. As long as I keep my core favourites I can let go of anything else.

I can't imagine parting with my precious little dudes. I've been collecting since '75, starting with Ral Partha and Grenadier before I found GW's Space Orks. I must have 10k painted, in open topped boxes everywhere. Even a 28mm Helms Deep (from designing EA's LOTR games), a city fight board chock full of ruined buildings & about 20 knight Titans, half scratch built), and a AOS board environment I'm building now. God, when I say this I realize I must be a sick puppy...

I am a hoarder. Sold stuff on occasion (like the time I sold all my 40k after 2 editions playing maybe a single game or two per edition) but overall I like keeping everything.

But then I moved, and found myself with a much smaller hobby room than the one I had, which means the room is full of stacks of boxes that range from waist high to "I'm going to elbow that at some point", with more boxes in the garage still sitting there from the move. I've had several ultimatums from my wife, and the room is generally locked because there's a real danger than one of the kids or the cats will cause a chain reaction.

This means for the first time I am seriously considering letting go of a few things. My infinity stuff is on the way out, as I don't have the time to keep up with everything even if it's a fine game. One army I speed-painted just for KoW will go as well since I don't get KoW games anymore and it's all multibased (not the prettiest, though). I've even considered gifting it to the club as a demo army but then again no one plays KoW anymore (it might work for T9A though). The old white dwarf magazines will go to the club as well.

If that's not enough, I'll have to make some hard choices of the kind a man doesn't want to. Opening up old boxes and finding minis you didn't even remember keeping is one of the best feelings ever, and I don't want to lose that.

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:02 PM, Menkeroth said:

This is the essence of the hobby, modeling and making your dreams come true. There is no other way.

Only that is a totally personal and subjective thing.  I know from listening to him on a podcast that Neil Hollis (multiple Golden Daemon & slayer sword winner) tends to sell off most of his old projects, even the winning ones.  As once they're done his investment in them is over, the painting is the important part.

41 minutes ago, Dave Fraser said:

Only that is a totally personal and subjective thing. 

Which is not.

41 minutes ago, Dave Fraser said:

As once they're done his investment in them is over, the painting is the important part.

It's not a hobby, it's work. Hobby is called "Modeling (modelism)" for a reason, and it's funny how people collecting Italeri, Dragon or Tamiya models laught at ones such as us with our primitive models and this "letting go" attitude. And they are right. 

19 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

Which is not.

It's not a hobby, it's work. Hobby is called "Modeling (modelism)" for a reason, and it's funny how people collecting Italeri, Dragon or Tamiya models laught at ones such as us with our primitive models and this "letting go" attitude. And they are right. 

I have absolutely no idea how you can say what people get out of this hobby is not subjective:

• Gaming is the hobby for some
  • Painting is the hobby for some
  • Building & converting is the hobby for some.

Not everyone gets enjoyment from the same part of this broad hobby, so what you enjoy most is not necessarily what others enjoy most.

As for it being work, the individual I mentioned is not a professional painter, they don't do it as their day job & it very much is their hobby to paint because it's what they enjoy doing.

For me, this hobby is about a blend of multiple things. I largely don't care about building & converting models, I do it a little but more out of necessity than desire.  I hugely enjoy painting models as the act of painting I use to de-stress after work.  I also like to play the game, so the models are to a large extent just game pieces for me  but I do like to display some of my armies at home and then I also paint a few display pieces too where I particularly like the model.

So in that alone I have 4-5 different aspects to the hobby which will wax and wayne in my interest over the years as to what I find most appealing part of the hobby. So I cannot see how you can in any way definitively say it's not subjective what people get from the hobby.

22 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

Which is not.

I paint just to relax. For me that's the most important thing. Yes I will play them but partly because it otherwise feels like a waste. So that's multiple people who's expience differs from yours. Starts to sound very subjective ;) 

If you are  arguing that it's work, in the example @Dave Fraser made, because the person sold his finished products I would argue that your definition of work is very, very specific. Just because there is a transaction doesn't mean it's work and in context of the discussion it's not even relevant. The thread is about letting go of old models, who does so and why. Somebody selling theirs because the fun part is over (aka painting in that persons view) does not equal it to work.

I'm not a bicycle salesman just because I once bought a broken bike fixed it and in time sold it for a new bike. :S 

Some of us are also interested in the fluff and making our own custom fluff.  Some of us look at wargaming as a large-scale version of D&D.  And some of us like to hang out with fellow hobbyist and push plastic around the table to escape from the real world.  There are many aspects to how one can enjoy the hobby, which is why I truly believe that miniature wargaming is one of the best hobbies in the world: there's something for everyone!

Over the course of my hobbying, I have occasionally fallen for the "flavor of the month" new releases, or got excited by game systems that seemed fresh, or was convinced by friends to try other games, only to find that none of these truly interested me for whatever reasons.  I have been selling off some of my armies and models for a variety of reasons...

- I tried to get into Horus Heresy 30K because I had a few wargaming friends that played it, and my local 40K group was wanting to get it started up locally.  I ended up selling those models that I never really got painted because:  1) I didn't want to paint up another Space Marine army, 2) I had trouble deciding which Legion I wanted to play, 3)the local players all seemed to forget about it and lost interest in it, and 4) I really, REALLY don't like working with Forge World resin on anything larger than infantry, for that cost the pieces should fit together, *grumble grumble*

- I tried Warmahordes at one point to give it a shot, only to find that the local players were unpleasant meta-chasers that, while they were decent at trying to teach people, was only interested in playing with you if you played at their level or were trying to get at their level.  Combine this with petty drama and cliques and favoritism showed to one of the local gaming shops by Privateer Press, and you end up with a schism in the local gaming scene (but that's a story for another time).  I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of my Warmahordes stuff and get those experiences purged from my memory.

Having said that, I have made the decision to keep some of my models that I was planning on selling, specifically my Necrons.  I have a large Space Marine army, and a decent sized Imperial Guard army.  I'm keeping the Necrons for the possibility that I might get back into 40K, and then I can have a guest army at home that I can pull out for some non-Imperium gaming.

Bear in mind that some of us can't hold on to what we might want to keep.  I've mentioned before that the Queen song "I Want It All" is the wargamer collector's anthem, and I still believe it - I would have each army all painted up if I could - but I just can't afford it right now.  Between a new baby and the associated costs, and dealing with legal costs in the coming months in dealing with relatives who are a horrible influence on my family, and maintaining a car for long commutes to and from work, these are cutting into my available funds  Some sacrifices must be made for the greater good, and those models I sold have gone to new homes, where they will not sit in storage for years and get some game time in.  Those models kept me afloat for a rough month, and helped contribute to starting my step-daughter's Death army, and freed up space in my home that can be used on current army projects (like my step-daughter's Death army).

If I could keep everything, I would (except the Warmahordes stuff).  I don't like buying something for $50 USD and selling it to someone for $15 several years later, but I'm doing what I can to support my family and make their lives better.  For me, it's family first, fun second, and it will stay that way as long as I have a family.

• 1 month later...

Hi there:)

What is, in your opinion, best way of letting go partially? That is, I would like to store my miniatures so that I have more space for new ones. There is no need to keep 4 x 50-rat strong units of Skaven Slaves on my shelf, especially since they are not even useful in AoS (no shields, which are free in AoS). Storing them in the soft bags with sponges tend to accumulate humidity and I think it's not perfect. Any other ideas? I don't want to sell them...

On 20/11/2017 at 3:48 PM, Rev said:

Hi there:)

What is, in your opinion, best way of letting go partially? That is, I would like to store my miniatures so that I have more space for new ones. There is no need to keep 4 x 50-rat strong units of Skaven Slaves on my shelf, especially since they are not even useful in AoS (no shields, which are free in AoS). Storing them in the soft bags with sponges tend to accumulate humidity and I think it's not perfect. Any other ideas? I don't want to sell them...

Large Tupperware boxes filled with foam shelves works for me. 

I hesitate selling models because what is old eventually becomes new again, and that has become true so many times as I've gone through the editions of Warhammer. 

If I have to sell, I try to remember the sunken cost fallacy. I've already spent X amount of money on these models and trying to recuperate as much of the cost can keep me stuck. If I really want to let something go, put it out at a very fair price and get rid of it ASAP.

I know this part very that it is hard to sell stuff.

I think it's much easier for players, where the miniatures are only a tool to win games with.

For collectors and painters it's much harder because they invest more time and more blood, sweat and tears into there collection.

I rarely sold stuff (some 40k Kroot , my Italien Navy in Dystopian Wars and my Moon Grots in 7. Edition and some Dark Angels Models) and this after about 11 Years of Hobby and thousands of miniatures.

Mostly I regret the Moon Grots.  I had two sets of Skullpass Grots, some fanatics, some squig hoppaz and herds and Skarsnik (the metal version).

I hoped the grots would stay in the group when I sold them. After some years he quit playing WHFB. When I heard that he wanted to sell them I considered to buy them back, but after hearing that the had sold skarsnik for a Terrorgheist, I didn't bought them (I think even after adding some models he wanted far more money than I sold them to him).

The Point is, that some models are hardly to get after some time (special characters for example), so perhaps you can't get them back if you sell them (I know that there is still the Finecast version of Skarsnik).

Archived