Running a Demo, Any Advice for Me?

Hey, everyone!

So this weekend I will be at a local convention this weekend, possibly running demo games for Age of Sigmar (event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/240780486328731)

There is no other Age of Sigmar presence at this event, and the main reason I am going is to help bolster the presence of AoS in Missouri.  I will probably be on my own for everything, and my army collections are kind of sparse.

I do know how to explain the game mechanics and show genuine excitement and and enthusiasm for the game, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how and what to do.  Does anyone else here have experience demoing the game and trying to encourage others to play?

Thanks!

Glue up two small forces & spray the two different colors. Grab a bag of lichen and clump it on a 4x4 piece of green felt. Grab a few rocks from the back yard. Bring your painted model to show off. As you start playing, announce what each unit is thinking & doing (a little narrative mix with rules). When somebody shows interest, ask them to pick a unit and tell you what it should do, then play that out. Ideally you get a few spectators involved ordering your forces around while you explain mechanics.

Do you know anyone who can help with the model/terrain situation? If not, its not the end of the world. I have some experience in this, it was about five years back now though. The local hobby store(it only had a small warhammer section) would run an open day of sorts once a month. They set up a table and myself and some other guys would play very small games and get(mostly) kids involved. I found just being enthusiastic and explaining what you were doing along with a bit of made up narrative got the kids involved and keeping it small kept their attention from drifting too much. As for adults, it depends. I guess it might be a bit harder but you can talk and see what it is they want from the game. Have a couple of your books(if you have them, GHB, battle tombs and stuff) and you can just show them what they may be looking for. Matched play for points people, narrative, or just pretty model pictures. Hope this of some help and good luck :)

Firstly good luck!  Biggest piece of advice would be to keep is small and simple.

@MacDuff's  suggestion to simply base colour spray some models (you can paint them properly at a later date) is brilliant, it'll make it super obvious which side is which and means you're not using bare plastic.  Also adding in a bit of narrative is a really good way of hooking people in.

I'd suggest no bigger than a 4x4 but a 3x3 works really well and have the warscrolls and rules printed out so that you don't need to flick in and out of books which feels "clunky".

I'd say that a demo game shouldn't really take more than 30 minutes, 45 at the very most which is probably a few turns at around 3/400 points (ish).  As @chord says the battleplans in the AoS starter set would work really well (probably one of the middle battleplans)

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd suggest no bigger than a 4x4 but a 3x3 works really well and have the warscrolls and rules printed out so that you don't need to flick in and out of books which feels "clunky".

Just to pipe in here... The Games Workshop staff demo uses a 2x4. Just a pair of realm of battle squares.  A bit of scenery spread around to look good and show off cover. 

It looks good, its quick, and demonstrates all the rules. 

11 hours ago, chord said:

Also recommend no allegiance abilities, artifacts, etc.  Just go straight up warscrolls to keep things simple

Agree!! Build two "easy-to-play army" forces (khorne, SC, IJ.....) with the pitch battle points so they are more or less balanced (not more than 500 p.ts and do not even bother using any of the rules for the pitch battle though. Just go vanilla. And maybe introduce the rules of one and the allegiance abilities at the nd of the game so if they liked it t least they know which variances they can use. The painting problem can be easily resolved like someone said with two different base colours (maybe spray so they are ready done) one for each army. As per the board I dont know if it is supplied or not and woith a bit more time is actually not very hard to achieve even on your own (peaking of a 4'x4' top with 4-5 max scenics).

Try and make it immersive with a bit of narrative too. I think part of the beauty of these type of game if the fluff that can hide behind a signle battle.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!  Alas, I have sad news: due to car problems, I was unable to make the 2-hour drive to the convention to demo the game.  So none of my influence was spread like I had hoped.

However, I did take advantage of my free time to work on my models and start moving towards having more painted models (pictures to come!).  And with this missed chance to help spread the game, I am looking at this as an opportunity.  I will start up and have a few smaller armies and more scenery now, rather than just working on a single larger army.  My goal is no to have everything needed to host proper demos for the game, and use this as my motivation for collecting armies in the future.  So the next time something like this comes up, I will have everything needed to properly demo the game to new players.

Archived