The Bonesplitter Arrer Boyz 180 Dice Dilemma

Baron_Bathory

Hiya!!!

Ok I'm getting ready for my first game with my FINALLY completed unit of 30 Savage arrow boys with kunnin ruk. While doing my planning and fantasizing about erasing monsters off the table in one round, something crossed my mind. My unit of archers can shoot 90 shots twice per turn for a total of 180 shots per turn..... yeah.... This is one of those things that will probably be really fun the first couple of times but get really annoying shortly. I don't want to have to roll that many dice every turn.

Does anyone have any particular way they deal with this? I was thinking to try and find a dice rolling app, but none of them that I can find roll multiple dice and show a clean result of how many times you rolled each number. They either let you choose the number of dice but display every result so you have to count just the same as if you rolled them, or they have a clean interface for results but don't let you choose the amount of dice.

Anyone have a solution for this? Thanks a bunch.

I roll mine just 30 at a time to keep everything in order. 1 cube of dice is 36, so that a little less counting. I Could roll them all at once with a dice cup...a big dice cup. 
I think that's what I'm going to do in the future.  Just remember it's not 180 dice all at the same time and you'll be ok.

58 minutes ago, warhead01 said:

I roll mine just 30 at a time to keep everything in order. 1 cube of dice is 36, so that a little less counting. I Could roll them all at once with a dice cup...a big dice cup. 
I think that's what I'm going to do in the future.  Just remember it's not 180 dice all at the same time and you'll be ok.

Hey thanks for the reply! I actually just found a dice rolling app at rolz.org, they let you specify how many dice to roll and what your success roll is, then it gives you how many times you succeeded, how many 1s you rolled and how many 6s. Actually pretty awesome. I think I'll use this.

Thanks anyhow!

I've played bonesplitter at Vegas and Adepticon last year, did like Baron, rolling 30 at time. I have small dice so it's easier. It's still tedious. I was trying to save time at setup using movement tray.

Otherwise it's just rolling your dices and doing it as quick as you can!

3 hours ago, Baron_Bathory said:

Hey thanks for the reply! I actually just found a dice rolling app at rolz.org, they let you specify how many dice to roll and what your success roll is, then it gives you how many times you succeeded, how many 1s you rolled and how many 6s. Actually pretty awesome. I think I'll use this.

Thanks anyhow!

People really use dice apps? Zounds.  Seems like it would take a lot of the fun out of things.  Each their own. 

Th following comments come from a good place I promise..... 

1) Not sure how many people will let you use a dice rolling app against them, particularly the tourney scene here in the UK, I for one would be against it. This debate arose around this time last year funnily enough and almost the overwhelming consensus was no. 

2) if you find the army boring to play with then you can bet your opponent finds it even more boring to play against (particularly if that experience is limited to rolling an overwhelming number of saves and the resultant endless removal of models) I have played this type of list across 3 players and @Kanamorf is the only one who I enjoyed the "dice rolling" part of the game (so I'm not saying i didn't enjoy playing the other guys I mean :-) it's why he is my Bonesniffers hero and hopefully he can give you tips. 

3) a lot of people I speak too want the Bonesniffers player to have to roll every single dice (and hope that they also  don't enjoy it) hoping that it slows the game down and therefore in a tournament setting the full game is not played to the Max 5 turns each and often this could be to nick a minor victory etc... You have to be aware of this and part of the way to avoid this is to be sensible with your targetting and be smart with your dice rolling.  so as said above keeping your dice in tidy piles or pre counted blocks will also speed things up

Get a dice shaker and some sort of plate to roll it onto. That prevents the dice being cocked, going all over the table, hiding behind models and over all makes for easier collection of the dice afterwards.

If you're going to do this to me I expect you to have take every step you can in order to expedite the process.

Oh and no I wouldn't want you to use a dice rolling app, I just don't trust it as much as I trust physical dice on the table.

My way of doing it is, like most people here have said, is to roll in groups of 30 and roll to conclusion each time.

1. Roll 30 to hit dice
  2. Pick out the missed hits
  3. Roll the remaining dice to wound
  4. Let your opponent decide if he wants to roll saves at this point or save them till the end
  5. Repeat 3 times per phase

I find that I can rattle through fast enough that the opponent does not glaze over but not too fast that they start thinking I am cheating them.

Its normal tournament ettiquet to pick up the missed and leave the hits rather than to other way round, but for this sort of volume rolling it works really well too.

My other quirk that I had pointed out to me the other day was that I am constantly telling my opponent what I am doing and what phase I am in. I didnt know I did this as much as apparently I do, but my opponent at the time commented that he knew exactly where I was in my turn and what all the dice rolling meant. He had in the past had an experience of not having a clue and just nodding when he was told how many saves to roll.

I have been using a Prophet as my general recently so have not had to deal with additional hits from the Boss being my general. But the theory would still be the same. Resolve per volley.

Finally I have 2 sets of dice. I have my larger Warchief club dice that I use for most thing... Who does not like bigger dice, and I have a set of 30 smaller dice that I keep to one side and just use for shooting (dont forget to nominate one of the dice for the unit champion as he get +1 to hit, I have a lovely little red gem die for this )

I think the cleverest one I've seen was somebody who put their dice into one of these.  Each compartment had a set number of dice (I think it may have been 10).  So if you need to roll 90, you shake the whole box and take the results for 9 compartments.  If it's a value under 10 you roll those dice separately (so 87 would be 8 compartments with 7 normal rolls).

S14-0707P01WL.jpg

@Baron_Bathory - I have to agree with @Sangfroid's response tbh. Both as a player and a TO I would be against dice rolling apps. I don't think the Bonesplitterz player should have any shortcut here.

As mentioned by others, I have regularly seen the better Kunnin' Rukk players have their dice organised into sets to speed things along. I think that is the best way to handle this.

Thanks for the replies!

I would only be using the dice rolling app for the instances where I have to roll 90 dice, and I think it's perfectly fair. As for being forced to "suffer it out", I think that's nonsense. Turning a minutes long process into a 2 second one benefits both players. Every army has their share of insane damage dealers. This one just comes in the form of a boatload of shots. I don't see the problem at all. In fact I think it's a great idea that everyone uses them for the instances where they have to roll a crapload of dice. That coupled with the awesome new counters from the Warlord's Edition GH2017, virtually all of the quality of life issues that arise while playing the game are dealt with.

Thanks again everyone :)

Archived