Megaboss Gnasha

RuneBrush

Despite having a pretty clear idea on what I was going to paint following Blackout, I've somehow purchased a new model and kicked off on what appears to be turning into the start of a Destruction army...

So I introduce you to... Megaboss Gnasha

Megaboss-WIP1.jpg.a102672a4af08b50a8acebee22ae3acb.jpg

The picture isn't the best in the world - I struggled getting the angle of the light right yesterday.  The arms for example have a lot more shading than visible on the picture!

Colours have come from the guide Darren Latham put up on his blog - I won't say I followed it (even though I intended to) as his result is much lighter and I was pratting around with a wet palette trying to get a smooth finish.

My current thought is to paint his armour up in orange with the odd panel bare (rusted) metal and odd panel in black, with a few checks, dagz and similar dotted around.  Though I am struggling to find a nice orange currently - would love one that's similar in tone to the GW Averland Sunset, but it seems to be pretty elusive and I refuse to use neon orange!

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Despite having a pretty clear idea on what I was going to paint following Blackout, I've somehow purchased a new model and kicked off on what appears to be turning into the start of a Destruction army...

So I introduce you to... Megaboss Gnasha

Megaboss-WIP1.jpg.a102672a4af08b50a8acebee22ae3acb.jpg

The picture isn't the best in the world - I struggled getting the angle of the light right yesterday.  The arms for example have a lot more shading than visible on the picture!

Colours have come from the guide Darren Latham put up on his blog - I won't say I followed it (even though I intended to) as his result is much lighter and I was pratting around with a wet palette trying to get a smooth finish.

My current thought is to paint his armour up in orange with the odd panel bare (rusted) metal and odd panel in black, with a few checks, dagz and similar dotted around.  Though I am struggling to find a nice orange currently - would love one that's similar in tone to the GW Averland Sunset, but it seems to be pretty elusive and I refuse to use neon orange!

Really cool! Ive fantasized of having a yellowskinned orc army but my current skills are sadly not up for the task. :P one day though, one day...

13 hours ago, Tomir said:

Really cool! Ive fantasized of having a yellowskinned orc army but my current skills are sadly not up for the task. :P one day though, one day...

I've got some Ogors that I'm tempted to do a yellow flesh for (similar to World of Warcraft Ogres), there's a ridiculous amount of flesh to paint on them so that's something for the future ;)

6 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Looking fantastic and got to be worth the extra effort :)

What colour are you thinking for the armour? 

A few panels will be bare metal (very battered and aged), a couple will be black (with a purple hint I'm thinking) but on the whole I'm aiming for orange of some kind.  I've ordered some oranges from Foundry as none of the GW paints felt right.  Obligatory checkz and dagz all over of course!

Was messing around last night with doing some beaten panel work.  I need to push the dark patches a bit more before I'm 100% happy I think.  I'm intending on applying weathering pigments and doing chipping once all of the armour is done (no point in doing it a bit at a time!).  I also will try and get some matt varnish onto the flesh to remove the shine!

Megaboss-WIP2.jpg.6bcaf3675f82b7055e159ed0afd487be.jpg

Megaboss-WIP2b.jpg.a3f7a1bc45802628819cf52d6e9766a0.jpg

Megaboss-WIP2c.jpg.c9af0096a14d76164a79973ce08c6f23.jpg

After a bit of experimentation with oranges I've come to the conclusion that none of them are what I'm after - ranging from a dark red-orange straight to neon or simply lack lustre peach.  So I've been experimenting with other colours.  Looking on a colour wheel the colours next to orange are red and pink.  Red is off the cards - my Bloodbound are red as are my Ad Mech army.  Pink is well... pink :S  As much as I'm sure I could make it work, pink models will nearly always been associated with Slaanesh and adding purples in could veer towards Darkling Coven or Death.  So I'm looking at a colour that isn't a colour!

Megaboss-WIP3.jpg.72b9281e1d8318b24e2b984fab051f48.jpg

Ignore the "fist" part and focus on the wrist plate.  The left-hand side is Ulthuan Grey and the Right has White on (I prefer the white).

A few things I'll change.  Firstly I'll use chipping medium in order to achieve "scuffs" (so will need a rusty brown layer first).  Next up, I'll go much heavier on the grey chips, I feel they add more depth to the chipping than the brown or silver.  Brown chips will be reduced a little bit and more applied with a brush.  Orange rust also needs to be added in some areas.

As with the metal panel, there will be some pigment weathering too.

Didn't get quite as far as I'd have liked over the weekend, but overall fairly happy with what I did get done.  I successfully masked off the flesh and applied a rusty brown base layer, followed by a layer of chipping medium and then the white layers on the top.  A bit of a scrub with a toothbrush and some water revealed some nice chips!  Although in this state it does look a bit like a tongue yeti monster...  (I also tried out a printed backdrop)

Megaboss-WIP4.jpg.ad807916f7dc23c24c8e028390d78d88.jpg

The shoulders have now been glued in place and the gaps filled and smoothed in.  I've cocooned the whole model in masking tape and got a layer of undercoat onto the shoulders and back.  The intention is the paint the back white to match the rest of the armour and then the shoulders will be done black (this should help to frame the face).  Once that's all done the model will get a gloss varnish coat followed by an oil wash which will dirty down the white and define all of the nooks and crannies.  I can then matt varnish and apply some sponge chipping with some silvers which make the armour look like it's actually made of metal rather than poo.

15 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Wow...this is looking fantastic @RuneBrush!! Can't wait to see the finished article.

Whenever I look at anything done with chipping medium I wish I'd used it on my army over all the hand painted chips. This just looks awesome!

Great work :) 

Cheers!  I've never used chipping medium before and it's really weird stuff and a bit of a pain to control, but I can see massive advantages when I eventually add to the 'jawz.  I'll certainly be doing the armour first though!

I managed to find a little bit of time yesterday evening and managed to put the brown underlayer onto Gnasha.  Not particularly exciting I'll be honest, but considering I wasn't expecting to get anything done, a nice little bonus!  This means I might even be able to get the colour layers on tonight if I'm lucky (and then remove his funky yellow body bag)

Megaboss-WIP5.jpg.6ed4473537bcea5b428948fa544b2746.jpg

Happy to say that I've now got the armour all up to the same stage.  Frustratingly the masking tape removed some of the white paint on one knee - I guess it's a risk when using chipping medium and one that I'll remember for the future (I should have given it all a light varnish first).  I gave the skull a couple of coats of bone colour whilst I was messing around with the airbrush as it'll just make painting it so much quicker!

Sadly I'm out this evening so unlikely to get much more progress.  Next item will be to stipple on some grey and dark brown onto the newly chipped items, I'll then highlight/shade some of the larger chips (I've done a couple on his bottom armour).  The chainmaille needs to be done and then I'll either do the skull, trousers & loin cloth, or varnish and do the oil wash/pin shade.

I'm still wondering what to do his jaw?  Bare metal with rusty streaks and blood effect could look quite cool, but equally something else could look good.  Of course I've also not added any dagz or checkz on him!

Megaboss-WIP6.jpg.34792d943664c9c9019c982e6807fc55.jpg

Megaboss-WIP6b.jpg.48d42a163dff28b6b1f9057d99054e24.jpg

(I have brushed off the flecks of white on his arm and back!)

22 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Happy to say that I've now got the armour all up to the same stage.  Frustratingly the masking tape removed some of the white paint on one knee - I guess it's a risk when using chipping medium and one that I'll remember for the future (I should have given it all a light varnish first).  I gave the skull a couple of coats of bone colour whilst I was messing around with the airbrush as it'll just make painting it so much quicker!

Sadly I'm out this evening so unlikely to get much more progress.  Next item will be to stipple on some grey and dark brown onto the newly chipped items, I'll then highlight/shade some of the larger chips (I've done a couple on his bottom armour).  The chainmaille needs to be done and then I'll either do the skull, trousers & loin cloth, or varnish and do the oil wash/pin shade.

I'm still wondering what to do his jaw?  Bare metal with rusty streaks and blood effect could look quite cool, but equally something else could look good.  Of course I've also not added any dagz or checkz on him!

Megaboss-WIP6.jpg.34792d943664c9c9019c982e6807fc55.jpg

Megaboss-WIP6b.jpg.48d42a163dff28b6b1f9057d99054e24.jpg

(I have brushed off the flecks of white on his arm and back!)

Do you place the tape on your pants and rip it off before you attach it to your model? If not, that helps to get some of the worst sticky glue off the tape and coats it lightly with a little bit of dust. It tend to help prevent paint from coming off the surface. If you do do that, it's seems more likely to be something with the paintapplication and the surface bonding issue, I've never had that issue myself, but I've never used chipping medium so that could be it, like you said. 

Its loking amaing despite the pull off on the knee. I know it's frustrating, but it could be a lot worse. 

Keep it up!

4 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Do you place the tape on your pants and rip it off before you attach it to your model? If not, that helps to get some of the worst sticky glue off the tape and coats it lightly with a little bit of dust. It tend to help prevent paint from coming off the surface. If you do do that, it's seems more likely to be something with the paintapplication and the surface bonding issue, I've never had that issue myself, but I've never used chipping medium so that could be it, like you said. 

Its loking amaing despite the pull off on the knee. I know it's frustrating, but it could be a lot worse. 

I use Tamiya modelling masking tape, really low tack so generally doesn't cause any issues :)  The chipping medium does exactly as you describe, and is basically a bonding inhibitor (you can use hairspray for a similar effect).  I wasn't expecting it to be quite as good though :P  As you say, it could be a lot worse and the big bit looks pretty decent as I applied oranges on the base layer to make it look quite rusty.  It should look a lot nicer once I get some silver metallic chips on there.

20 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Keep it up!

Thanks!

This weekend was a pretty busy one so didn't manage to get very much done, it did however allow me to put a layer of gloss varnish on which meant I got the oil washes added last night.  These need to cure over a couple of days and then I can apply a matt varnish - so apologies on the very dodgy pictures, gloss is a pain to photograph at the best of times, let alone under a light.  I also went over some of the washes following this picture, so there's more depth in there.

Megaboss-WIP7.jpg.a34424ebe8740c5f5a053aef6bfd97e4.jpg

Megaboss-WIP7b.jpg.3c65811b06b5d892cdfa5b63ba0ab5ba.jpg

I also plan to repaint the strapping on the skull to be the same as the wrist wraps.

Of course I still need to work out how to paint the jaw :(

@RuneBrush - I haven't really got time to post here today, but making a special exception. This really is coming along brilliantly, I am very impressed indeed.

I have one major complaint though...

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, RuneBrush said:

you can use hairspray for a similar effect

Wasting hairspray on miniatures!?! You savage!

Keep up the fantastic work, looking forward to seeing this lad finished.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@RuneBrush - I haven't really got time to post here today, but making a special exception. This really is coming along brilliantly, I am very impressed indeed.

Thanks!  Just need to squeeze some time in to matt varnish and then do the last bits :)

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Wasting hairspray on miniatures!?! You savage!

Keep up the fantastic work, looking forward to seeing this lad finished.

Lol, can't recall the last time I needed hairspray for anything :S  If all goes to plan I'm hoping to get him done (bar the base) early next week

Finally on the end stretch although the weekend was busier than I thought it was going to be  Remaining items are his claws, the teeth on the beast skull, jaw and necklace.  I probably ought to add some dagz on his armour too.  I did start getting bits ready for his base too, but realised I need to mark where he's going to stand before I can do that (which means snapping him off the holder).

Megaboss-WIP8.jpg.ab03f9bd4d9d84fa54088e04fb7565e1.jpgMegaboss-WIP8b.jpg.fae4fbca5120c34b6977d4a1b9daeac9.jpgMegaboss-WIP8c.jpg.3280c2b184908ab7cd1fd03bef8e08d1.jpgMegaboss-WIP8d.jpg.3a525cfe27547dca1753848b13fae660.jpg

Just spotted the highlights on the wood of the axe look a little rough, so may glaze that with a quick layer of agrax to tone it in.

Another weekend has flown past with not as much progress as hoped although I did get a decent amount of hobby yesterday, it was mostly on my Imperial Knight Armies on Parade entry.  Thankfully I did manage to pick up the megaboss yesterday evening around 8pm.  The teeth on the big skull and the necklace are now complete, leaving the claws, jaw and base.  The slightly insane part of me went "I really like painting bone like this - shall I do my Deathrattle army the same"

Megaboss-WIP9.jpg.7568c28425e51fe6fe8e9b244a3772fa.jpg

Archived