Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

14 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Not an alternate but a very cool conversion I found. 

cw1.jpg

You guys can all get this Shadespire reaper on ebay as a single for like $4 - $5.

That is how I did my version of this conversion.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to play a game yesterday with my lava nighthaunt. Played vs a buddies flesh eaters

It went quite well. Basic positioning was hosts guarding the knight, with mournguls and the hex wraits on the sides with cairn wraiths behind.

Mournguls pretty much tore everything up and the +1 to hit for hosts mortal wounding was gross. Arkhan brought back some spirits It was over turn 2 as I didn't know my guys would be so durable with all the healing. Defiantly my favorite army after having and playing tons of stormcasts.  Hopeful for them to be expanded

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Leaders
Knight of Shrouds (120)
- General
- Command Trait :  +1 wound
- Artefact : Pendant of the Fell Wind - 3' move to him and all Nighthaunts within 6'
Cairn Wraith (60)

Cairn Wraith (60)

Cairn Wraith (60)
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Allies
Units
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
Behemoths
Mourngul (350)
Mourngul (350)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 320 / 400
Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 3/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 96

I've been considering something similar. Recently picked up a KoS and was considering the best way to run him. I'm really hoping NH gets expanded or at least better incorporated into LoN bc hosts and hexwraiths are my favorite. 

My thought was 2-3 larger units of hosts, 2 of HWs for harassment, KoS, 2 banshees and 3 allied heroes for deathly invocation and van hels.

The problem with Grand alliance necromancers and vamps is no lore of the dead. Arkhan is definitely a good option for getting around that, but he offers fewer deathly invocations. Did you feel like more healing would have been beneficial, or was he enough by himself?

1 hour ago, Vortumnas said:

I've been considering something similar. Recently picked up a KoS and was considering the best way to run him. I'm really hoping NH gets expanded or at least better incorporated into LoN bc hosts and hexwraiths are my favorite. 

My thought was 2-3 larger units of hosts, 2 of HWs for harassment, KoS, 2 banshees and 3 allied heroes for deathly invocation and van hels.

The problem with Grand alliance necromancers and vamps is no lore of the dead. Arkhan is definitely a good option for getting around that, but he offers fewer deathly invocations. Did you feel like more healing would have been beneficial, or was he enough by himself?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think you can ally in Necromancers to Nighthaunt.  Be are stuck with deathlords and vampires if I recall.

I would also recommend against banshees.  They are much worse in melee than a Cairn Wraith, and 20pts more.  So you are paying 20pts extra for a bad Cairn Wraith with a scream.  Rolling 2d6 averages about 7... and a lot of units have Brave 10 (Dead, Deamons, etc.).  Even Stormcasts have Brave 6 so you average a single MW per scream on Stormcasts and others of their ilk.  Banshees only shine against low bravey units, and those low bravery units would be just as dead at the end of a Cairn Wraith's scythe.

I bring a single Banshee as a deep-strike character assassin.  She rarely succeeds, but her threat makes people cagey with hero deployment.  So other than mind games, I think they are not very useful.

It'd be cool to give night haunts a ranged unit. A unit of 1 wound guys with like 10' or 12" ranged magic hooks with the typical nighthaunt mortal wound attacks. They hunt mortal souls and use their chains to drag the souls back with them. They might only have a 5+ unrendable save and can use the chains in melee.  Maybe they get a bonus to charge range against a unit whose soul they steal or maybe if they steal a certain number of souls in a turn they can unbind a spell and if they steal certain thresholds of additional souls they get a bonus to unbind.

Then nighthaunt would have the only real ranged unit in death faction and the army would get some dispel for mono nighthaunt builds.

18 hours ago, Vortumnas said:

Dont think your ideas gonna work there.

As for Arkhan, he provided all the healing I needed. Nighthaunts are very durable. The army is a 4+ with Mourns being a 3+. This can never be worse or better. Then ontop of that they have a 6+ Feel no pain.

Arkhan is there to help counter harmful magic really, but provides good support taking the lore of death spell where you are -1 to hit and -1 bravery. 9+ natural it goes off again on same or another unit and stacks.  Then he can cast curse of years and really mess up units for the mortal wounds from it.

In addition, he can do 4 heals, and gets to reroll all of the results. Its one at a time, so you could bring a few spirits back or wraiths pretty easy.

I think all nighthaunt require atleast 1 mourngul, but id highly recommend 2. The -1 to hit in melee is huge and they are a self healing combat monster.

If I remember correctly, wizards only get spells from the lores of the dead if they are in a legions list, so Arkhan would be unable to the spell you mention (fading vigor? I don't have my book with me). However, as deathly invocation is now part of his profile, it applies to him always.

Yeah I misremembered the allowable allies, thought deathmages were in there. Man GW really doesn't want us to have ghosts that move 9", deal MWs on 5s and attack twice per turn. No matter how you put a list together, you can only get two out of the three.

On 5/3/2018 at 7:44 AM, Josh said:

since they dont get any real benefit from the midnight tome ranged makes sense?

Well I'm talking a short ranged unit. A foot of range and some melee attacks so they aren't a pure ranged unit, more like a keep to the edges unit  behind mournguls, hexwraiths and spirit hosts where dispel can still come into play

And yeah midnight tome at the moment is pretty poor...

It seems there's a decent split of opinions on Hosts vs. Hexwraiths. I'm looking to start Nighthaunt so I've been browsing around the boards, but for 2k is it worth it to have 2 mourngul compared to just having 1 and bringing more hosts and Hexwraiths? I know Scourn seemed to do well in the posts above. I'll be buying at least 3 Tormented Spirit boxes since those seem like an insane deal to get started...But I am completely unfamiliar with Death as a whole since I have only played Skaven.

I'd actually say wait - buy at most two Tormented boxes, cause they are 90% safe bet, but then wait for the book. I think the battletome should come out in roughly 2 months (as quite a lot of other people do as well), so it'd be kinda stupid to re-buy the whole army - I expect quite a release! We've seen the Black Coach, most likely Nighthaunt will be announced during the Warhammer Fest in 5 days - then we should roughly know what will be coming :D

Let's hope we get some news, I am worried it will all be Space Wolves for 40k.

Some more images or hints would be awesome, although I will point out that there are a lot of interesting geists showing up in the malign portents stories.  There was a lighting spirit that was the soul of a stormcaste who was trying to reject his reforging, there was a magical lock bearing geist that captures the soul of a stormcast before he could escape, there was a strange mirror that apparently contained an army of ghosts carried by a necromancer in one of the deepkin stories, and recently there was a star that hovered over a town and turned everyone into undead.

Please gib...  please GW...

Archived