Lets Chat: Darkling Covens

GammaMage

1 hour ago, Nutty said:

Well I already have a bunch of them laying around (and a number of other Dark Elf models) so a good bit of collecting has already been done. ;)

I think I'll be building a mix of all three; the main thing is that they all get a boost in units of 20+, and I'm trying to work out the ratio. If I'm using the Darkling Covens Alliegance this won't be to big a deal, as long as they are near each other they will be able to make use of the buff. If I want to use some of the other units I have laying around I might have to use the generic 'Order' alliegance, and I won't be able to use the numbers of nearby units to get the boost.

I'm currently painting up my models so this is untested by experience at present, but I'm planning to run a big 40-strong unit of dreadspears as my main unit and then have my 30 darkshards in three units of ten. I'll definitely be using the DC allegiance to get the buffs from numbers. Thus way I should hopefully get the resilience of the large unit, while the ranged units effectively function in its orbit (i.e. try to shoot from its flanks, hide behind it for protection, etc.)

from the chat on here, there has been a lot of talk about the DC allegiance abilities and how it helps out - both with battleline units and in terms of command abilities that can help protect SoBD leaders. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Redbaron the DC abilities sure sound usefull and I imagine I'll be using them quite a bit. The thing that bothers me is that my collection is split up over 4-5 factions, and that a number of models I would like to use have the 'exile' keyword. So allies would become an issue or "impossible".

The way I understand the rules (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that I can't use, for example, a Reaper Bolt Thrower alongside a Covens army. Because the RBT has the 'exiles' keyword and isn't an approved ally for the current Druchii factions. So I might want to field an Order army consisting of; a Thrall warhost, some RBT's, Shades, and a few Order Serpentis units in the future.

My local meta isn't super competitive, but they are all playing armies that have more current rules/Tomes (2x Death, Seraphon, Nurgle, & Sylvaneth) So I'd probably have to do a bit of optimizing in the future, and it'd be a shame to rebuild a bunch of models only to replace them after a few games.

I've got big collection what seems to be Darkling Covens now anybody can suggest what should I add in the future  ?

I have about 40 Darkshards, and 60 Darkspears and few Sorceresses. How playable Darkling Covens are ? 

I'm planning to start Daughters of Khaine but with my huge collection of DE models I would like to use them. 

I am new to AoS so any kind of advice would be very appreciated. 

4 hours ago, Aranthir said:

I've got big collection what seems to be Darkling Covens now anybody can suggest what should I add in the future  ?

I have about 40 Darkshards, and 60 Darkspears and few Sorceresses. How playable Darkling Covens are ? 

I'm planning to start Daughters of Khaine but with my huge collection of DE models I would like to use them. 

I am new to AoS so any kind of advice would be very appreciated. 

Executioners and Black Guard and Sorceress on Black Dragon.  You seem to have enough of the standard infantry, but the elite ones are what you'll need.

1 minute ago, Aranthir said:

Thanks I got some Black Guards, I love Sorceress on Dragon model but as I'm planning on building DoK army (As they will get BT soon) will she viable as an ally ? 

It depends, she might be viable but as I said earlier that mini is good enough to justify buying it even if she doesn't make it into your Daughters of Khaine army. 

Guys you should read the previous pages of this thread. We have already discussed competitive options with the Darkling Covens.

@Nutty

Thats right. If you put the RBTs in your army you can only choose the order allegiance. (Horrible rulemaking if you ask me) If you have your army that way I strongly recommend a Hurricanum as you are order anyway. In my last 3000 point game I used the Hurricanum+Executioners+Black Guard+Darkshards to great effect.

I wouldnt buy to many allied models though. Better wait some weeks until the new Daughers of Khaine rules are online. The new bow-medusae could eventually make up for a better option than the RBTs. I am expecting 8" move, 24" range and a rend of -1 or more with some special rules for mortal wounds.

3 hours ago, Kaleun said:

Guys you should read the previous pages of this thread. We have already discussed competitive options with the Darkling Covens.

@Nutty

Thats right. If you put the RBTs in your army you can only choose the order allegiance. (Horrible rulemaking if you ask me) If you have your army that way I strongly recommend a Hurricanum as you are order anyway. In my last 3000 point game I used the Hurricanum+Executioners+Black Guard+Darkshards to great effect.

I wouldnt buy to many allied models though. Better wait some weeks until the new Daughers of Khaine rules are online. The new bow-medusae could eventually make up for a better option than the RBTs. I am expecting 8" move, 24" range and a rend of -1 or more with some special rules for mortal wounds.

Agreed... I'm eyeing up some Bow Medusae for a nice solid big unit for 300-400pts and break up my swords into 10-mans for the Thrall warhost and dropping the Darkshards.  I still love the Balewind Vortex for the Sorceress on foot.

1 hour ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Agreed... I'm eyeing up some Bow Medusae for a nice solid big unit for 300-400pts and break up my swords into 10-mans for the Thrall warhost and dropping the Darkshards.  I still love the Balewind Vortex for the Sorceress on foot.

The Harpies might also be an interesting "light cav" unit which gives the Darkling Covens more speed. I dont expect much from them tough. The old Harpies were like 60 points for 5 of them. Cheap as Chips.

Gosh I am excited for that DoK release!

6 hours ago, Kaleun said:

The Harpies might also be an interesting "light cav" unit which gives the Darkling Covens more speed. I dont expect much from them tough. The old Harpies were like 60 points for 5 of them. Cheap as Chips.

Gosh I am excited for that DoK release!

True, but I think with decanter and being able to run and charge, the infantry massive regiment has enough mobility to really get around.  I'm just wary of adding MORE melee, since it's tough to get the blackguards, executioners, and spears/swords engaged with key targets.  I'd really rather have strong ranged options.

11 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

True, but I think with decanter and being able to run and charge, the infantry massive regiment has enough mobility to really get around.  I'm just wary of adding MORE melee, since it's tough to get the blackguards, executioners, and spears/swords engaged with key targets.  I'd really rather have strong ranged options.

agreed!

Is there any release schedule for DoK known? I have heard of a Aelf release in April. Seems a bit far in the future.

Can anybody give me some advice for painting the black dragon for the SoBD? I'm in town tomorrow so I have the chance to pop into the GW store and buy any outstanding paints or brushes. I have plenty of black for the basecoat, but beyond that I'm not too sure. The painting guide for dark elves PDF doesn't actually have a dragon section.  Any advice is much appreciated!

On 06/02/2018 at 3:43 PM, Redbaron said:

Can anybody give me some advice for painting the black dragon for the SoBD? I'm in town tomorrow so I have the chance to pop into the GW store and buy any outstanding paints or brushes. I have plenty of black for the basecoat, but beyond that I'm not too sure. The painting guide for dark elves PDF doesn't actually have a dragon section.  Any advice is much appreciated!

Simplest method would be to just follow the box-art. Paint it black then pick out some details with a grey - I don't know GW colours because I only use their shades and technical paints but I used Vallejo cold grey.

If you want a quick tabletop finish you can just dry brush lightly with a grey then go back over with a dark wash (nuln oil or army painter dark tone)

Pick out the spines with a bone colour and wash with a brown shade like Agrax earth shade. 

pick out a few details and the armour plates if you put them on and you're done.

I would paint in 4 sub assemblies - dragon body with wings, neck and head, saddle and the sorceress herself.

if you want to do something a bit more creative you can highlight with a blue or purple but you should probably do it direct rather than drybrush. one of the builds on the box has blue highlights if I remember. you can wash dark blue or purple right over black no problem.

You could also look at painting the membranes on the wings in flesh tones? they look fine if you just leave them black though. It depends if you want a show piece or just to get her on the table for a game!

best advice is google images "sorceress on black dragon" - your bound to get a few examples for inspiration.

Using a coloured wash over drybrushed grey (on black) can leave an interesting effect. Especially if you use a darker colour like Drakenhof Nightshade or perhaps Athonian Camoshade. It's what I've been considering for my own SoBD, and than do the membrane/belly in a greyish or fleshy tone.

I'm waiting on a good day to undercoat my cold-ones first though. That way I can use them as guinea-pigs/lizards and try some different washes on them.

Thanks, everybody. As it's turned out, the store manager was really helpful. He even pointed out a SoBD in the display case that he'd done, which had a lovely green scales and purple wing membrane colour scheme. We also looked over the box and he suggested some good paints for a blue-ish grey effect. He even showed me something on the painting app which I didn't know about before, but apparently you can use your phone camera to take pictures and if you tap on an area of colour, it'll recommend paints to get that shade. All very handy!

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys beat a Stardrake? This model has 16 wounds with a 2+ rerollable save (staunch defender), while having a -2 to hit vs. shooting attacks (artefact mirror shield), heals wounds on save rolls of 6 and also does mortal wounds to all the enemies around on a saved (and rerolled) save..... 30 Black Guard was chanceless and just the executioners finally brought it down, but after hardly acceptable losses of units. #ugly

What do you guys think of the following list? Executioners with the cheapest chaff we can afford together with the Darkling Coven Allegiance:

Allegiance: Order
Sorceress On Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Witch Rod
- Trait: Impossibly Swift
- Artefact: Incorporeal Retainer
Sorceress (80)
Sorceress (80)
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)
- Allies
20 x Executioners (360)
20 x Executioners (360)
20 x Executioners (360)
10 x Black Ark Corsairs (80)
- Vicious Blade & Repeater Handbow
- Allies
- Allies
- Allies
- Allies
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 129

6 hours ago, DantePQ said:

How competitive you want to be with that army list ? 

my Stormcast opponent regularely plays highly competitive lists. So I guess I have to work hard and play for the mission / tactically to gain victory for the Darkling Covens.

@Kaleun if that is so I would change that army a little bit :

- I would add some Darkspears or Darkswords instead of so much Executioners, I'd take max one unit of 20-30 Executioners 

- you need some shooting Darkshards work quite good with Darkspears and/or Darkswords

- cut Balewind Vortex it's quite useless here. 

- Corsairs aren't good as allies in Darkling Covens as you need Darkspears/Darkshards to make best use out of Allegiance Abilities. 

14 minutes ago, Redbaron said:

Can I ask people if they have any ideas for what they use for objective markers? I'd like to make some up, and preferably with a Darkling Covens 'feel' to them. Any inspiration would be appreciated! 

Well... I'm in the progress of magnatizing my Couldron of Blood so I could use the statue as an objective marker.... but apparently that's going to be a feature anyway.... haha

Okay, couple of idea's top of my head. Anything ornamental with spikes fit, a executioners block is quite easy to make*, If you got any left over banners you could always create a 'rock' with cork and stick a banner in there as a territory marker. 

*you need a 'block', a weapon to lean against the block and a couple of heads from different races to scatter around it. Lastly a lot of blood for the blood god to get the effect really going ;) 

Archived