GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

51 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Personally I think it's JUST the general, from the wording, but it seems to be something which was said on a twitch stream on release night in Warhammer World. Mixed signals which I think they need to clarify but right now I would go for the wording which is Megaboss General ONLY.

Thanks!

I heard that on Warhammer TV and got disappointed when I read the actual rules. I chocked it up to them not knowing all the rules yet. I don't see how anyone could interrupt "Add 2 to the roll for your general if they are a Megaboss." to mean any megaboss gets the +2.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not any Megaboss.
The wording is "Roll a dice in your hero phase for your general and each IRONJAWZ HERO in your army. Add 2 to the roll for your general if they are a MEGABOSS. On a roll of 6 or more, pick a friendly IRONJAWZ unit within 6" of the general or IRONJAWZ HERO being rolled for."

I think it is clear.

So, I´ll go to a tournament in a couple weeks and I´m toying with 1k lists. Since I lost my beloved Black Orc Big Boss, I´m thinking on the Orruk Warboss, they look virtually the same, but the Warboss can take a boar, which is good to gruntas especially if equiped with the banner to re roll wounds.

What do you think of that:

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warboss On Boar (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner 
Orruk Warchanter (80)

5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
- 1x Boss Klaw and Smasha
- 3x twin choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
- 3x twin choppas
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- 1x Boss 
- 6x Jagged Gore Hacka

Total: 1000/1000

The idead is to use the gruntas and Warboss to screen or get objetives while the heavy hitting brutes and megaboss arrive to battle.

But I´m not sure about the Artefacts: The Golden Toof seems a nice choice since both Brutes units will stay close to Megaboss.

In the other hand, The Boss Skewer make each brute´s unit Bravery 7  and prejudice enemy units, with seems good against large units.

Destroyer is AMAZING on a Foot Megaboss, it takes his Boss Choppa to 6 attacks of 3+/3+/-1/3 which is just monstrous. You could also take the +1 rend if you're expecting a lot of sigmarines but honestly Destroyer is just so across the board good it's hard to top.

19 hours ago, tuorgustavo said:

So, I´ll go to a tournament in a couple weeks and I´m toying with 1k lists. Since I lost my beloved Black Orc Big Boss, I´m thinking on the Orruk Warboss, they look virtually the same, but the Warboss can take a boar, which is good to gruntas especially if equiped with the banner to re roll wounds.

What do you think of that:

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warboss On Boar (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner 
Orruk Warchanter (80)

5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
- 3x twin choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
- 3x twin choppas
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- 1x Boss 
- 6x Jagged Gore Hacka

Total: 1000/1000

The idead is to use the gruntas and Warboss to screen or get objetives while the heavy hitting brutes and megaboss arrive to battle.

But I´m not sure about the Artefacts: The Golden Toof seems a nice choice since both Brutes units will stay close to Megaboss.

In the other hand, The Boss Skewer make each brute´s unit Bravery 7  and prejudice enemy units, with seems good against large units.

Looks pretty good. Not sure whether there are too few models for the warbanner to have an effect, but re-rolling all wound rolls of 1 is pretty incredible and given it's massive radius it might probably be one of the best lower cost hero options available to us. Gonna have to tell me how that 6 man grunter squad does, those models are cool to look at.

In my experience, the brutes are usually engaged in combat at least one full turn before the boss is, so personally I would prioritise the Boss Skewer or a weapon mod over golden tooth.

19 hours ago, Malakree said:

Destroyer is AMAZING on a Foot Megaboss, it takes his Boss Choppa to 6 attacks of 3+/3+/-1/3 which is just monstrous. You could also take the +1 rend if you're expecting a lot of sigmarines but honestly Destroyer is just so across the board good it's hard to top.

I expect a lot of sig marines in my local meta, so while taking the extra damage is appealing; I would much rather more reliably make those wounds stick. Though on the flipside destroyer would mean only two hits need to land to kill most heroes, so it's really a matter of purpose, kill squishes or kill toughies. If I take beastal Charisma or Live to Fight, then likely those two weapons would be more worthwhile compared to the boss swewr

So I'm going to a friendly tournament in a month and like your opinion about my list. It's going to be 1500 points and we are going to use the open play cards. I'm thinking about changing brutish cunning for ironclad. BC is very situational but I thought it might bring some fun to the game. Gore gruntas with inspiring presence to keep up with the crusha and cause i couldnt fit enough units. I'd rather go with brutes thou. Not using the ironfist either but it's only beneficial for the gruntas since the ardboyz are going to stay on objectives. The bully is for fluff reasons as well as saving the crews from running off as soon one of them get shot up. What do you guys think? 

Screenshot_20170904-081853.png

Nice picture below of game one. 

The 30 ardboyz were amazing game one was one where you could score with 20 models tainted earth is it? I deployed here and the KO player spent 2 full turns will all his shooting this side of the board and close combat with 6 endrinriggers to kill all 30 boyz, by which time my 10 Brutes charges and then killed the ironclad T3 and 5 Brutes the endrinriggers.  Brutes win games but they need to get there unscathed and 30 ardboyz give them something else to deal with often because they have too (well on 2 scenarios) 

game 2 the 3+ to charge meant a 13" charge that pinned Judicators, fulminators, venator, Castellant and Prosecutors in place for the mawkrusha to rock in and deal with (later the 10 Brutes to finish the Venator) 

game 3 I could have won the game if I had of positioned them a little better I think 

game 4 was against clan skyre and I deployed them 1" apart across my 12" line they cover the whole board except maybe 4 or so inches either side. They took the hit from the acolytes; moved off to destroy 2 of the enemies objectives and allowed the brutes (unscathed to get in and deal with acolytes) 

game 5 I held them as a 2 deep 15 orruk wide line across my 6" line to buffer against Byron's monsters. I had to chose later between them and 10 Brutes for  IP and they lost all 20 guys after battleshock but up to then had held off 2 annointed on Phoenix and a dragon for 3 turns (shame I didn't hurt the dragon more with Brutes and get T4 prop :-) 

they are not an auto include like the mawkrusha because you may want to flavour your list differently but for 450 points they are so worth it 

IMG_0813.JPG

So the Mawcrusher is auto include then, I had been hoping to hold off on him and work with foot megabosses instead. My game yesterday vs the sigmarine shooties showed me just how vulnerable and slow he is though.

The other thing I thought about doing is going for a gorefist lineup to try and abuse the reduced cost on them, not sure how that would work out though? Haven't really seen them used at all.

Next on my paint desk will be my last 3 pigs to try this out :-) 

mawkrusha is not auto include but if but if you don't include him you need to build a list that can do the stuff he does without him, I.e mortal wounds or a way of keeping your general alive or mitigate bravery (so when Generals dies your not reliant on Inspiring) 

I really wanted to try and use the destroyer+waaagh! but I think I need to get him with Iron Clad and Daubing of Mork sadly.

Having to make the charge off Mighty Destroyers is pretty painful for IJ tbh. If you could move 6" even while in 12" it would really up the value of the Brutefist, fill your full 6 hero slots, take Brutefist then propel them forward into combat.

Man how cool would it be if Mighty Destroyers could allow you to move OUT of 3" so you can recharge later in the turn.

^ you should call that list the cabbage patch. 

I was thinking of something similar.

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
Colossal Squig (300)

Total: 2000/2000

2 hours ago, rational said:

^ you should call that list the cabbage patch. 

I was thinking of something similar.

- General
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
Colossal Squig (300)

Total: 2000/2000

lol the lone random colossal squig

Pre-GHB2 I was building lists towards MSU brutes so while I still got hit by battleshock I just decided to ignore the issue and instead focus on the waagh. It was proving to be successful and now even more so with items and changes something like this 

Mawkrusha, ironclad,  destroyer/golden toof 

megaboss on foot, the boss skewer/destroyer/meatrippa 

5 x 5 brutes 

brutefist/Ironfist 

3 pigs

3 pigs (or 2x Warchanter if you prefer more heros) 

The brute fist is great because you no longer outstrip footboss so can stay close together, but if you Ironfist up may want to double up to a 10 brutes and 6 pigs so all benefit 

I like it! I think waagh Is brutal with maw crusha honestly . Im planning / different lists using gorefist. 

Maw

megab

warchanter

werid

10 ard

10 brutes

3x3 gruntas

gorefist 

or

maw 

warchanter 

grot sham

10 ard

10 brutes

5 brutes

3x3 gruntas

gorefist

the idea Is the same , put 1 turn your gruntas to tank enemy line or block cav( preventing their charge) with 2 unit of gruntas, the 3 unit can try a 8" (7 with +1) charge to be more destructive, if fail nope , they can run try to take objective later. ( obv gruntas boss unit go to tank)

on the second list same plan but i got a sham only for Mystic shield and 1 unit more of brutes, while on the first list i got megaboss destroyer , good for my trait roll and good for kill enemy heroes

what do you think?what list do you prefer? Can be a valid alternative to blootoof and ironfist ( still my best option now) ?:)

I like brutes spamm but i think we lose mobility with brutefist! With tom his list i got a tank unit that can save us from a slow infantry:)

Had an idea to utilize allies in a fun way. This list is based around the Weirdnob hunkering on an objective with the balewind and arrer boyz. I think the arrer boyz are a great fit as we lack good cheap units to sit on objectives, and with range they can actually help out a bit. The Weirdnob's ability works off the orruk keyword so the big clump of boyz and the balewind pump up casting by 3, making foot of gork a reasonable 7 to cast and have the range to target basically anything. 

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Destroyer 

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline