Suggestions for Ironjawz skirmish lists

[InsertWittyNameHere]

I just recently got into AoS through skirmish and am trying to create a good list for an initial warband in the Shadespire campaign. My friend and I have agreed on a 30 renown starting limit, but I'm having trouble compiling a good list. If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know. I am also not entirely opposed to mixing in any grots, so if pure Ironjaws isn't entirely feasible that's fine.

Thanks, 

[InsertWittyNameHere]

The thing that you need to decide first is whether you like the idea of starting with the Warchanter.  If you would rather have the Shaman or Megaboss, 35-40 points is the best starting point to stay pure IJ.  Personally I don't find the Warchanter to be very interesting from a campaign perspective or narrative point of view.

At 30 points, I would take a Warchanter, Brute Boss with Klaw, and a Brute with 2 Choppas.

When me and @Paul Buckler played through the campaign I wanted to use Megaboss Krunk, so I think we started around 35-40...can't remember off the top of my head now. I believe I had Krunk, a Brute boss and an Ardboy boss to start with.

I was advised by someone at GW that even they felt 25 might be a bit small to start in hindsight. To be honest though, if you're playing a two player campaign I would just chat with your mate, see what you both want to use and go from there :)

Have fun, it's great!!

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I was advised by someone at GW that even they felt 25 might be a bit small to start in hindsight. To be honest though, if you're playing a two player campaign I would just chat with your mate, see what you both want to use and go from there :)

Have fun, it's great!!

Very true! Just remember if you are playing the campaign, the amount of renown really adds up. We started a 35 pointed 6 game series and the warband became small armies near the end and for me the small scale feeling (not to mention 45min gameplay) were lost a bit. 

But 30 should be perfectly fine. Have fun!

I personally think 35 is the right renown to start at. It means you can potentially start a warband with any hero given renown, while most warbands which are led by 20/24 renown heroes will start with a few extra models.

I honestly don't get how GW thought that 25 was a good renown to start at. Majority of the heroes in the game are probably going to come in at 20 renown which means your maximum is basically 3 models unless you start with some of the cheaper heroes available. IMO you want most warbands to start around 5-7 models as 3 models basically feels like it's a dude and his 2 mates walking down the street looking for a punch up.

I get that warbands expand fast, but I think I'd prefer if warband expansion was taken own a notch while warband starting size was a bit bigger if that's truly an issue.

In regards to the OPs question. at 30 renown, focusing primarily on Ironjawz I guess you'd be looking at something like:

24 Weirdnob Shaman

4 Ardboy

Anything to fill 2 renown. Could be an Orruk or Savage Orruk (regular/arrow/morboy), or 2 Grots of your choice. 

or

16 Warchanter

7 Orruk Brute

7 Orruk Brute or 4 Ardboy and 3 extra renown to spend as you like (Again, Orruks/Savage Orruks/Grots).

The lower the starting renown, the more the more elite armies struggle to come up with decent starting warbands.

Archived