Tactics - please share your tactical wisdom

58 minutes ago, stato said:

There are some good tactics articles on Warhammer Community page.  Really though as a new player learning the core rules thoroughly is the most important, from that you can understand what could be done and tactics become apparent.

The warhammer community only reposted these articles.

The original content is Age of Sigmar Tactics.

That blog has a flew articles more than the warhammer community.

In my case, I found the article for "Charge" first in the tactical toolbox and got the info of the blog, I posted later.

Really liked the blog, because you can show it to those people that argue like that: 'AoS don't have tactics and models are only pushed to the middle.'

The point that blog shows, is that you don't get the tactics on a silvertray through the rules like in WHFB.

They is much you can do with movement and positioning of units and how you activate your units in combat.

This is a very vague question.  Can you be more specific so we can be more helpful?

What models do you intend to use?  What are you likely to face?  How much terrain will be in play?  Do you all used Matched Play missions?  What points level? Are you used Allegiance Abilities and Artifacts?  If so, are you rolling for them or choosing them?

Tactics are often in the details - someone could give you the world's greatest treatise on Shooting Priority, but if you're not taking any models with shooting attacks, it doesn't help.

Without knowing the specifics of what army and which units you are going to be playing, I'd say the most important things to learn and think with are as follows:

- Deployment. You can easily win or lose a game based on the deployment phase. Think with what objectives you want to take, the terrain, etc and commit to it when deploying. Many people spread thin to try and be balanced, and a good player will throw the weight of his army on one side of the table, overwhelming the 'balanced' deployment. Don't let troops go to waste because you stuck them off on some remote corner!

- List building. You need to understand the roles different units fill! The various roles include things like moving fast to take objectives or hit weak spots, "tar pits" (units that are tough to kill and tie up enemy forces for a long time), supporting other units with buffs and synergies, doing high melee damage, etc. Once you understand the roles, it's important to think about HOW you want to win games. Then pick units that compliment each other and work towards your strategy. For example, I play Wanderers/Sylvaneth. I typically approach games very defensively, letting my opponents grab objectives. My list is designed to fight on my terms and do massive damage while taking as little as possible, then I use some fast units to quickly take back objectives and win. 

- Positioning. Knowing how to position units takes practice. Think about how you can block enemy movement and charges. Think about manipulating how he piles in since he has to pile in towards the NEAREST enemy model. Think about leaving units in spots where they can support each other in future turns if things go bad. Think about putting very threatening units in spots that FORCE your opponent to react to it. Think about how to punish your opponent if he does NOT react to it. 

Those are the most important things imo. Everything else kind of falls into place after that, or is more general gamer mindset than AoS related. Things like understanding value and what trades are favorable and all that. 

23 hours ago, EMMachine said:

The warhammer community only reposted these articles.

The original content is Age of Sigmar Tactics.

That blog has a flew articles more than the warhammer community.

Be careful with those. They certainly are helpful and appreciated,  but there are some minor oopses in them that could give you trouble.

Not a criticism, as such, but a note of caution.

@ChaosUnited

I would suggest that you also not get too caught up in one style of play or another early on, except to say that Open Play is a great way to start because then "list building" becomes largely a non-factor.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Be careful with those. They certainly are helpful and appreciated,  but there are some minor oopses in them that could give you trouble.

Not a criticism, as such, but a note of caution.

Yeah, there could be flaws in it (it's interesting that warhammer community reposts them without checking if something should be corrected), but I think, it's a good way to get a feeling about tactics of the game, because GW don't wrote them into the rules (like the mechanic of fleeing as combat reaction or dancing around units by leaving there frontside in WHFB)

Think the 'oopses' are a bigger problem for tournamentplayers and I really have seen worse (in case of Tournament Meta)

To get an example where the example went wrong, I would take the "Presuring Key Targets" Example of "Retreating in Age of Sigmar

Liberators are in close Combat with Bloodletters. He retreats them and attacked with his Lord-Celestant with the explanation, that he can charge the Bloodsecrator next turn and the blood letters can't stop them I would negate that.

In the second picture there are enough Bloodletters that are closer to Liberators that to the Lord-Celestant and would Pile in closer to the Liberators (if they want and stay as one group). In that case they can get again into 3" and the Liberators couldn't charge the Bloodsecrator next turn.

I think there are more examples with Piling in, where an enemy unit could still reach the friendly unit while pile-in after models are closer to that unit.

or the thing with the "Balewind Vortex" in "Power of Summoning in Age of Sigmar"

Do you have some blogs or sides where to find tactics (please don't say 1d4chan).

22 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Just charge, everything, all the time.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE 

I know this is meant in jest, but I actually find my Bloodbound to be more tactically challenging than their fluff would suggest. You really need to understand your unit synergies, abilities and optimal positioning to make them work. They're not point and click at all. Well, maybe some builds are but a balanced list certainly isn't.

Archived