Freeguild Army - First models, little by little!

arka0415

I'm slowly working through my first Age of Sigmar models! I painted about 10, hated the scheme, paint-stripped them, and did it all again. Freeguild are my first army in Age of Sigmar, but I'm really enjoying painting them!

IMG_20170705_170745.jpg

IMG_20170705_170755.jpg

IMG_20170705_170805.jpg

IMG_20170705_170814.jpg

IMG_20170705_170822.jpg

Nice, I particularly like the two tones of metal on the cannons, that's really effective in breaking up all the metal. Possibly a line highlight on the halberd / spear points to add the illusion of sharpness make the formation look even more imposing to charge?

Also, poor old barefoot guy. He's always the first to feel the freeguild budget cuts!

1 hour ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Nice, I particularly like the two tones of metal on the cannons, that's really effective in breaking up all the metal. Possibly a line highlight on the halberd / spear points to add the illusion of sharpness make the formation look even more imposing to charge?

Also, poor old barefoot guy. He's always the first to feel the freeguild budget cuts!

I'm new to painting AoS models, so these guys are all technically WIP! Once I finish all 90 (gasp!), I'm going to go back and do the highlights and little details once I've gotten more experience. Thanks for the tip though!

And hey, don't call them budget cuts! They're... redistributions of resources! Those Hellblasters don't pay for themselves y'know :D

16 minutes ago, arka0415 said:

I'm new to painting AoS models, so these guys are all technically WIP! Once I finish all 90 (gasp!), I'm going to go back and do the highlights and little details once I've gotten more experience. Thanks for the tip though!

And hey, don't call them budget cuts! They're... redistributions of resources! Those Hellblasters don't pay for themselves y'know :D

'Gasp' indeed and good luck, I'll look forward to seeing them en masse!

5 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

I like the shields you have on them.  Where are they from?

The shields (bucklers and targes, I think) are from an old box of Perry Miniatures "Mercenaries" I had. You get five variants, three of each: two bucklers with bosses (the ones I have painted half-and-half), two metal bucklers (the silver ones) and one bare wood one. Fifteen in total, and I think they look much better on pikemen/halberdiers since historically they couldn't carry large shields.

For my swordsmen, I'm using old Bretonnian kiteshields, which make more sense when carrying  a one-handed sword.

5 hours ago, Krzyek said:

They look a bit flat. Try using washes and/or highlights. Nevertheless, the colour scheme is really nice .

They are actually washed/highlighted, I guess my camera didn't show that detail. I'll try and take a better picture to show you when I get out of work. As I said above though, these guys aren't really finished. I'm new to painting AoS miniatures, so once I get better (i.e. once I paint all my infantry) I'll go back and do much finer highlights. Should be fun!

Good stuff. Happy to see more Freeguild.

I find the Freeguild Guard and Handgunners/Crossbowmen a bit of a slog. There's so many of them, and so many little trinkets and rubbish dangling off them that need to be painted differently.

But the rest (for me at least) have been pretty fun to paint.

Hope to see more of your force in future.

Archived