Grimgore ironhide

Tom

I just want to confirm my fears.

the immortulz ability does not work on ardboyz as they don't have the keyword "black orcs"

would love to get this guy on the table but my feeling is the big boss is better An cheaper. 

thanks all

8 hours ago, someone2040 said:

You're correct. A lot of legacy characters (and battalions) were left out to dry when GW changed unit names.

Shame, it's probably only like 1 hour for someone to update them all digitally and call it a day.

@Tom - @someone2040 is correct, it does not work. I'm afraid.

However, I disagree with the second point. I'm not really sure why you'd want to update it and suddenly call Grimgor an Ironjawz Orruk. Doesn't really make any sense thematically however you look at it. Let's move on from The Old World and embrace the new :D 

My only caveat is that it would of course be good to have more warscrolls available for Ironjawz. I used the Black Orc Big Boss (or Ardnob as I liked to call him - a more fitting Ironjawz name) quite extensively last year.

@TomGiven how beef cake and prevelant Grimgor was to the story in the End Times, and seeing how all the other charecters in similar roles are influencing the story in AoS. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Grimgor come back at the head of some crazy Beast force down the line. It doesn't help you from a game perspective I guess, but at least there is hope for him yet! :D

Yeah I was looking at the "other list" point of view. Looking at option of what else I can take. Grimgore has ironjawz keyword. So was playing around with him in list. 

@Chris Tomlin yeah the "ardnob" seem a lot better. Cheaper to. How did you find him. An can I still give him artifacts i.e. Battle brew. 

Thanks for everyone's feed back

I run grimgor as general for my ironjawz.

If  ran black orks(10 models),  and used his command,  they´d hit on 3+ and wound on 3+ and make 20 attacks.

Sure id reroll hits of 1.

But if a runArdboyz, and use his command. Taht´d  be 30 (-1 rend) to 40 (no rend) attacks hittin on 2+ and wounding on 3+.

I said good ridance black orcs, we had fun, but good things must come to an end.

:)

In a pure Ironjawz(not a mix list), he is probably one of the best general for the army(beside 15 man strong brute squad with ironfist battalion).  He is basically a hybrid megaboss and warchanter.  He has a 10 inch bubble that allows plus 1 to hit for a command ability.  This is massive because, if the rumor that prayers/same ability do not stack in GH2, you can combo this with megaboss ability(for brutes reroll 1s), and a warchanter(+1 to hit) to give your 15 man brute squad that hit on 1+ with normal weapons, 2+ for gore hacka and boss claw/basha, rerolling 1.  They are going to hit hard(almost 100%) with wounding on 3+(wounding on 67%) with rend/multiple damage. 

Now let look at grimgor himself as general.  He is hitting on 1+ if the command ability is up, and a hero is within 10(pure ironjawz should have 6 heros), and cause decent damage with -2 rend.  He also only 140 points.  The question should be: why not Grimgor? 

11 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@Tom - @someone2040 is correct, it does not work. I'm afraid.

However, I disagree with the second point. I'm not really sure why you'd want to update it and suddenly call Grimgor an Ironjawz Orruk. Doesn't really make any sense thematically however you look at it. Let's move on from The Old World and embrace the new :D 

My only caveat is that it would of course be good to have more warscrolls available for Ironjawz. I used the Black Orc Big Boss (or Ardnob as I liked to call him - a more fitting Ironjawz name) quite extensively last year.

Well, Grimgor is an Ironjaw Orruk, it's just his special ability 'Da Immortulz' that is broken because Black Orcs changed to Ardboyz.

I think in a way, we want the same thing.I  had a post about about this somewhere, but to re-iterate, my thoughts about compendium are:

Preferred option is to rebrand everything. Axe scrolls that have variants already existing, create new scrolls for stuff that don't. But make everything fit into a cohesive faction (New or legacy). For example, Grimgor/Black Orc Big Boss, just take the Black Orc Big Boss warscroll, rename it to Ardnob and presto, something that fits within the mortal realms and you no longer have to support Grimgor as a warscroll.

High Elves have a lot of units that don't fit into any new faction, so just keep your generic High Elves as Highborn as a legacy faction. You can still rebrand a lot of High Elf heroes into new factions. Alith Anar could become a Shadow Warden for Swifthawk Agents as an example, providing a new character and abilities to the faction. Korhil, a Lion Sentinel, finally fleshing out the Lion Rangers that bit more. Some already have scrolls, like Caradryan is just an Annointed.

This way, you don't need to support compendium. You just may want to support a document that specifies how Old World units translate to units in the Mortal Realms since everything has a new warscroll. You could even offer non-living points for the Compendium rules documents if necessary, but since everything has been translated over to the mortal realms, it'd really only be for people wanting to play Old World warhammer with AoS rules.

It's a bit sad. People seem to have this issue of 'old world' and 'compendium' not being a part of the mortal realms. It's not as if they couldn't be, it's just GW chose not to fit them into the mortal realms based on the fact they didn't want to sell those models anymore.

So given that they probably aren't going to do that. I'd settle for my second place choice. Just update the in-app warscrolls to not have any broken references. This includes all the old battalions. Sure, it might not make sense for Ironjawz with their big Megabosses having Grimgor run around commanding a bunch of Ardboyz (or maybe it does? Who knows what stories can be thought of), but at least if people want to run Grimgor, they can and they won't feel shortchanged when he has an ability that can't function.

Last choice, chop points support for any unit/battalion they're not interested in supporting. Maybe this means everything in the compendium goes away, but at least GW are making a decision, and not supporting legacy armies half way.

Interesting @Uprising thanks for the reply. I think I may try him an see I have an old model any way so nothing to lose. Iv just got to use him differently to my original plan I guess. 

@someone2040 wash your mouth out son! No room for smelly high elves here!! Nah I get your point. I don't see the issue. I think people should be able to use their old models. This gives them a chance to jump straight into the game. An stop a bit of bitterness after spending money on them. 

I think the problem really comes when compendium is over powered. I.e. Tomb kings. 

15 hours ago, Tom said:

@Chris Tomlin yeah the "ardnob" seem a lot better. Cheaper to. How did you find him. An can I still give him artifacts i.e. Battle brew. 

@Tom - Yeh for 100 points he's a decent combat character tbh. His options are nice as well. The -2 rend is useful for those pesky Treelord Ancients, but the exploding attacks are also good. He's reasonably tanky. Word of warning though, his command ability looks brilliant on paper, but the range is just too short to be overly valuable. Also as soon as you trigger it you suddenly make him the priority target.

Also, good reply @someone2040, I get where you are coming from completely. Nicely put.

@Tom - In general, I would advise against dropping the Cabbage. But depending on what your goal is; why not? I'm all about just messing around and trying different things at the moment. We are in a state of flux right now. As much as anyone, we need the GH2.

In my club campaign game next week I'm going to drop all Ardboys and Gore-gruntas and run purely Brutes + characters for the lolz.

Grimgor (now named Gamgor a direct descendent of the great warboss himself) is still with us as I currently use him as my Brute Boss for Ironfists/Brutefists ?

I second @Chris Tomlin on keeping Mawcrusha but will add if you chose not to (in favour of 1-3 more units and some characters) then I feel you may want to try a brutefist because you need some form of mortal wounds plus the multi brute boss with klaws for damage output . Somewhere in the " competitive ironjawz" thread is a couple of example lists and discussion about this, I found it successful before I let the ladz go off for some R&R against sylvaneth, Fyreslayers, and warrior brotherhood and mixed Grot destruction (Aracknaroks not moo cows) so from my perspective the potential is there.

5 hours ago, someone2040 said:

... but at least if people want to run Grimgor, they can and they won't feel shortchanged when he has an ability that can't function.

On the other hand, the GH has rendered several other warscroll abilities useless (Lord Kroak's Celestial Deliverance, for example). Warscrolls are not pointed for the abilities on them that don't work, so I really see no reason for anyone to feel shortchanged.

8 hours ago, Solaris said:

On the other hand, the GH has rendered several other warscroll abilities useless (Lord Kroak's Celestial Deliverance, for example). Warscrolls are not pointed for the abilities on them that don't work, so I really see no reason for anyone to feel shortchanged.

I do understand it. Not so much as the named character but for the model itself. One it is a lovely model. Two if you have that model you have been playing for a while and might have build up quite the bond with it. I have the same with my Dwarf Lord on Throne/ High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer. Got it for my birthday the year when my whole family started playing all those years ago. He has been my loyal general in almost every battle. (and repainted twice and still looks like 14 year old me dropped a couple of bottles of paint on it and called it a day xD)

And I get the rhetoric of GW, (and agree with it) but on an emotional level I still think it sucks that it became a compendium scroll. And therefore will not be updated to be in line with the rest of my models. And if you are looking for a reason to field such a specific model as Grimgor... emotion gotta be a factor. 

Image result for dwarf lord on throne

Not my model, just a google grab.

Archived