Beginning AoS skirmish - Full steam ahead on the Warbands

GuitaRasmus

Those skaven are awesome, I especially like the gutter runner for some reason. For a flamethrower, you could just go the simple way and use some tubes/pipes/straws, with a thinner gaspipe at the bottom, and all riveted together, and with a hose going to somekind of fuel tank. Then just add a flame from a horses tail or something :D Anyway, astounding work once again, the claws are awesome.

I have one suggestion though:

group1.jpg.12fdff26b72368e64f4152bb34655c1e.jpg

maybe fill that spot with something? somekind of magical trinket or talisman? A rat skull would be best imo, if you happen to own one. Or a globe? Or a bell? Something skaveny. Would add a nice little detail and kind of balance the thin torso. Heck, another pistol could also be cool, or a spelltome/schematics. And now that I think about this guy more and more, the cape MIGHT look even better if it had like tiny paper slices with runes etc on them nailed in. But those things some times sound better than actually look. For a skaven though, those might be awesome. Man, I wish I had this model :D

Once more, awesome work! :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, The Traitor said:

So this is where you've been! We missed you at the Bolter and Chainsword :P! Your work in AoS is also very inspiring, the terrain looks cool and the skavens are amazing, the style reminds me of your daemon engines and your old Dark Mechanicus army... However what I've really liked is your Tzeentch warband, it is different to your other work but still mind blowing, would love to see more from you on that line! 

Edit: just saw the first page of the thread, oh my god your death warband is amazing! And the Tzeentch troll is just the best Tzeentch conversion I've ever seen, period. Really really inspiring stuff.

Well, yes and no - the past few years has seen me gotten married and moving into a house, so I've been a bit preoccupied with that - but I have been messing around with different projects. I do believe I've had a thread about my Death Guard over at B&C? Anyway, thanks a lot for the kind words - I seem to have gotten somewhat of a "signature" over the years. :) Once again, thanks - I quite like the Tzeentchians myself too. 

5 hours ago, Kisufisu said:

Those skaven are awesome, I especially like the gutter runner for some reason. For a flamethrower, you could just go the simple way and use some tubes/pipes/straws, with a thinner gaspipe at the bottom, and all riveted together, and with a hose going to somekind of fuel tank. Then just add a flame from a horses tail or something :D Anyway, astounding work once again, the claws are awesome.

I have one suggestion though:

group1.jpg.12fdff26b72368e64f4152bb34655c1e.jpg

maybe fill that spot with something? somekind of magical trinket or talisman? A rat skull would be best imo, if you happen to own one. Or a globe? Or a bell? Something skaveny. Would add a nice little detail and kind of balance the thin torso. Heck, another pistol could also be cool, or a spelltome/schematics. And now that I think about this guy more and more, the cape MIGHT look even better if it had like tiny paper slices with runes etc on them nailed in. But those things some times sound better than actually look. For a skaven though, those might be awesome. Man, I wish I had this model :D

Once more, awesome work! :D

Thanks a lot! I'm not sure about the straw-flamethrower thing - I think it'll look a bit too hodgepodge. However, you're absolutely right about the missing "thing" on the Warlock. I have another flintloque gun in a pouch bit that I'm considering, but I ended up deciding to wait until he is greenstuffed - that way it is easier to see exactly what is missing. Maybe just some small poison globes or censers. Anyway, we'll see, and good call! 

Yeah, of course you had a thread, but still it's been a while since you posted anything, I don't beleive you ever finished that Daemon Prince? Which is a shame as, with the Plague Bones, your Death Guard army was one of the only two nurgle armies I've ever truly liked a lot.

6 hours ago, GuitaRasmus said:

Thanks a lot! I'm not sure about the straw-flamethrower thing - I think it'll look a bit too hodgepodge. However, you're absolutely right about the missing "thing" on the Warlock. I have another flintloque gun in a pouch bit that I'm considering, but I ended up deciding to wait until he is greenstuffed - that way it is easier to see exactly what is missing. Maybe just some small poison globes or censers. Anyway, we'll see, and good call! 

Well, to be honest, seeing you have a stormfiend, I kind of assumed you might have those flamethrowers. The "straw-pipe-whatever" flamethrowers are mostly just easy to build out of green stuff, some cut straws (the twisty, ripply part), and other scrap. Easier to fit weapons on existing arms if you just kind of build around the arm.

And for the warlock, any of those ideas are good. I have been reading the older skaven armybook and I kind of fancy the idea of a weird magical talisman, there's plenty of those in the older books. I suggested the skull because I found two of them from my bitz recently, and I'm building skaven at the moment, so naturally I'm gonna use atleast one of them for that purpose.

On 1/2/2018 at 10:44 PM, The Traitor said:

Yeah, of course you had a thread, but still it's been a while since you posted anything, I don't beleive you ever finished that Daemon Prince? Which is a shame as, with the Plague Bones, your Death Guard army was one of the only two nurgle armies I've ever truly liked a lot.

No, sadly I kinda lost the spark for 40k again. I'm sure it'll return at some point, but to be honest, the past few years I've had a hard time doing armies - I'm not big into gaming, I do enjoy it, but making and painting the miniatures are the hobby for me, so an entire army is a bit of a chore. I am contemplating finishing a Kill Team I've had laying around mostly unpainted for some years, and perhaps building a few other ones, but I can't see me doing a whole army for the near future. And thanks for the kind words - I did put a lot of love into both the old one and the new one. 

On 2/2/2018 at 3:58 AM, Kisufisu said:

Well, to be honest, seeing you have a stormfiend, I kind of assumed you might have those flamethrowers. The "straw-pipe-whatever" flamethrowers are mostly just easy to build out of green stuff, some cut straws (the twisty, ripply part), and other scrap. Easier to fit weapons on existing arms if you just kind of build around the arm.

And for the warlock, any of those ideas are good. I have been reading the older skaven armybook and I kind of fancy the idea of a weird magical talisman, there's plenty of those in the older books. I suggested the skull because I found two of them from my bitz recently, and I'm building skaven at the moment, so naturally I'm gonna use atleast one of them for that purpose.

Unfortunately I've used them for other stuff. :D I'll have to ponder it a bit. The official bit is horrible IMO, so I'll have to go in a completely different direction. 

I think I've found a useful brazier from the Dark Angels sprues, which I'll use - thanks for the heads up!

3 hours ago, GuitaRasmus said:

Unfortunately I've used them for other stuff. :D I'll have to ponder it a bit. The official bit is horrible IMO, so I'll have to go in a completely different direction. 

I think I've found a useful brazier from the Dark Angels sprues, which I'll use - thanks for the heads up!

I'm in the process of converting my old rat ogres into "prototype stormfiends", and I'm using one of these as a flamethrower for one of them:

space_marine_attack_bike_multi_melta_large.jpg.e473d0356377db8a92773b75d63ce879.jpg

ofc get rid of the skull etc, but it does its job.

1 hour ago, Mordeus said:

This is all fantastic stuff, really love your style. A question about the base of your spirit hosts. What did you use to make the moss? And how? I really love that base.

Thanks! It's very simple, just Woodland Scenics burnt grass fine turf https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/FT-BG/page/1 , glued on with PVA glue. 

My warlock is finally ready for paint. He really was a challenge - I had the hardest time making a claw I liked, and I kept coming back to him to change little things - the last thing to be changed was the head. I stumbled across a photo of the Doomwheel driver head, and I thought it was so much cooler and more characterful than the gasmask head I was previously using. I got hold of one, thanks to my buddy who plays skaven, and with that it sort of came together. I've just done the last greenstuffing, and with the arrival of the Shadespire skavens next weekend, I can hopefully start getting some paint on the skaven warband.

warlock3.jpg

warlock4.jpg

Thanks! 

I. Can't. Stop. Converting!
I decided to modify the rat ogre for my warband a bit - giving him a mechanical claw with a warpfire thrower and some gubbins on the back. Also, on a whim I decided to try to make a Skryre Acolyte - I quite like him, so I'll have to find space in the warband for him as well. He's based on the plague doctor mask 40k cultist body, a Plaguemarine backpack, a clanrat right arm and a zombie hand with a small plastic ball. Obviously needs greenstuffing, but I thought I'd show him off anyway.

acolyte.jpg

ro2.jpg

ro3.jpg

I really like the acolyte, as he is simple but characterful.

Though I must admit that the Rat Ogre is just too..."stock" for a master-converter such as you. It is especially the position of the two main arms, that's in the stock and very recognisable pose, that's the main problem I think.

Have you considered at least cutting both at the elbow or shoulder-joint and rotating them some...Or doing something to those arms, so they become a little less like the mono-pose original?

32 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

I really like the acolyte, as he is simple but characterful.

Though I must admit that the Rat Ogre is just too..."stock" for a master-converter such as you. It is especially the position of the two main arms, that's in the stock and very recognisable pose, that's the main problem I think.

Have you considered at least cutting both at the elbow or shoulder-joint and rotating them some...Or doing something to those arms, so they become a little less like the mono-pose original?

Thanks! "Master-converter"... It's a bit much, but I kinda like it. :D 
Yeah, the rat ogre - the reason I haven't changed it too much, is... Well, I kinda really like the model as stock, so I just wanted to tweak it a bit. The main problem with converting rat ogres is that their arms don't really look like anything else in the Warhammer range, so I'm stuck with using the arms already on the miniature. The multipose kit is just horrible, IMO. 

31 minutes ago, Kisufisu said:

Awesome as always! Funny thing, I just recently switched my arch warlocks head to the same one from the doomwheel I recently bought. That acolyte is very cool, does it have a tail yet? :D

Doh! Good call. I had forgotten about the tail. 

It IS a great head for a Warlock. 

19 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I said it on the Facebook group, I'll say it here: these are all incredible.

Thanks a lot man. :) 

Here the acolyte is, in all his newly greenstuffed glory: 

acolyte3.jpg

And here the warband is, frolicking about on a Warscryer Citadel - which I just assembled today. It is such a fantastic terrain piece - and so horrible to assemble. Badly fitting china plastic everywhere. There's a lot of gapfilling to be done. Oh well, it will look awesome on the table. 

The pic also shows my workstation - I always like looking at peoples hobby workstations, people usually have a good idea or two to steal. Mine is still in progress. I'm contemplating making some shelves for the most used paints on the white middle part of the desk shelf. The lamp is a TriTube, which is probably the single best hobby tool I've ever bought. It is an amazing worklamp. The power supplies to the right are for my mini dremel-alike ( I like having the supply separate, makes it more easy to wield) and the foam cutter, and my conversion tools are on the left in the black organizer. The WIP stuff is on the upper left shelf - very secret stuff! 

The cutting board is placed on a wooden tray I made from some scrap wood - the ledges are to prevet small bits from flying away when I'm cutting (the ones you need always go flying, right?), and it makes it easy to remove a project I'm still working on, by placing the tray + whatever is on it on a shelf in my drawer, and then I can go to town with paint on the same desk. 

workstation.jpg

Unbelievable - I've actually gotten some paint on a couple of models. Sorry about the semi-crappy pics, but they're the best I could do with the lighting available. They're not great quality paint jobs by any means, but I have come to the realisation that I have a tendency to burn out on a project if I spend too much time on it, so I settled for tabletop. Also, a bit of an experiment with OSL - something I've never really messed with.

acolyte1.jpg

warlock1.jpg

warlock2.jpg

Thanks guys!

I've managed to get the Rat Ogre done over the weekend too, and there's a group shot too. I also got hold of the Shadespire Skaven, which I'll get to assembling and basing very shortly. 

The Rat Ogre took a bit longer than I expected, mostly because of the large skin areas demanding more careful highlighting, and because I started out with all the armour plates being bronze. He was actually done, but after putting him together with the others, it was very clear that he needed much more red to look like he's part of the warband, so I had to redo the armour plates in red. More OSL - it's still very challenging getting it to blend properly, and there's definitely room for improvement, but I'm kinda starting to enjoy doing it. And it certainly helps giving the miniatures some "pop" on the table. 

ro1.jpg

group1.jpg

Archived