Let's Chat: Spiderfang

Sheriff

14 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Also, where does rockeye state it doesn't work for the mount?

its in the GH2017 page 117

MOUNTS
Some heroes have a mount, such as a battle steed, a powerful monster that they can ride, or a massive war machine that they can stand upon. In all such cases, any command abilities or magical artefacts can only be used to affect attacks made by the hero, and have no effect on attacks made by the their mount unless specifically stated otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it seems Rockeye is not allowed unfortunately, so battlebrew seems the best bet for the arachnarok, unless thats banned for the bitey attacks too? 

I'm currently assembling an arachnarok, and oh boy is it tricky with the shrine on the front - i can totally see why people don't bother with this and just stick the shaman on the howdah. How do people transport this thing? Its so tall and twiggy. 

I've decided not to bother with the new Firestorm greenskin allegiance for my spiderbros, as it just seems a bit weak and broken, but will experiment with it at some point. I just really want some big beefy (and stupid) trolls on my front line. This is the front line setup I'm going for, whereby the trolls and moonclan grots make the best use of the netters, and the spider general hides behind this blob buffing things. The 2 arachnaroks and other 2 grot units take the flanks (but still in buff range). 

Also taking 2 moonclan grot shamen to have maximum zappage. I hadn't realized previously that the shamen can use their moonclan spell from behind our defensive lines, as they only need to see one model to create an AOE cluster-bomb (might need a shroom to get it off though!). 

46QcmoP.png

I plan on having the goblins running underneath the arachnarok. Howdah looks dumb and detracts from the awesome spider model. I was going to model them in little trap doors (like trap door spiders), but it seems like to much work with poor execution highly likely.  Maybe a couple with just the goblin head and tip of the spear holding the trap door (greentuff) open on a few.  All/most will be just on the base.

10 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I plan on having the goblins running underneath the arachnarok. Howdah looks dumb and detracts from the awesome spider model. I was going to model them in little trap doors (like trap door spiders), but it seems like to much work with poor execution highly likely.  Maybe a couple with just the goblin head and tip of the spear holding the trap door (greentuff) open on a few.  All/most will be just on the base.

Thats a cool idea, hadn't thought of having them scuttling under the spider - will they fit? What colour scheme you going for? So many options with this model, its great. 

I've base coated most of the spider and howdah, undecided if I'll put the full howdah scaffolding on or not. 

Got to be honest I don't ever see you getting d3 doubled mortal wounds on a 3+ flying in any scenario. That's what you call ridiculous. 

As a side note you get the firestorm alligance for free if you are running spiderfang. Can't see any reason why you wouldn't take it.

16 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Got to be honest I don't ever see you getting d3 doubled mortal wounds on a 3+ flying in any scenario. That's what you call ridiculous. 

As a side note you get the firestorm alligance for free if you are running spiderfang. Can't see any reason why you wouldn't take it.

I think the best available for to-hit is 5+ not 3+. 3+ used to be possible I think. 

My goal is to have general command ability + arachnarok shaman spell on the fightiest spider unit, so mortal bites on 5+ with double damage. Battlebrew or further +hit shinanagins would be a bonus but don't think there is anything else available? 

I have trolls in my army so I can't take the Firestorm allegiance unfortunately, plus it seems broken anyway (e.g. the best roll lets you bring back a dead unit in battle, but that requires reinforcement points so whats the point, also you don't know if you'll need the reinforcement points til after you roll the D66 ability anyway...) 

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Due to the way "5+" rolls are done AFTER modifiers to hit have been done with a +2 from battlebrew it would be 3+.

You roll a 3, then add the hit modifier of +2 meaning your "roll" is now 5. Thus it inflicts d3 mortal wounds with the CA active.

Ah I see. That would be awesome on an arachnarok as it still does the same mortal biting output even when down to 1 wound left. Shame it can't be drunk by spiders. 

Would be a good allegiance ability for Spiderfang: Your Arachnaroks may equip up to 8 artefacts each, 1 per limb. 

3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Oh they def fit! I just did this the other night. Used the little spiders and placed them goblins and spiders like they are fighting each other underneath the big spider! Used the one goblin with the spider biting his face as the centerpiece of the little battle ?

Pics!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 8:01 PM, Sheriff said:

I think the best available for to-hit is 5+ not 3+. 3+ used to be possible I think. 

You used to be able to get 2+

Starting at 6+, then 5+ with the Command Ability

+2 from double swig on the Battle Brew so you're now on 3+

+1 from Bellowing Tyrant so you're now on 2+

My mate did it to me - put a pimped out Arachnarok into my Frostlord, rolling four dice and doing his double D3 mortals on a 2+. 

He rolled three 1s and a 2!  Poor ******.  We still laugh about it now.

• 3 weeks later...

Various resources and other decent Spiderfang info:

I've been playing a spider army a while now so learned a thing or two,  and it seems there is plenty of interest in them, so here is what I've learned about playing them. I'm still pretty new so feel free to suggest improvements.  

To play Spiderfang effectively you'll need 1-2 tanknaroks (1 at 1k, 2 at 2k), your spider general, small units of spider riders, chaff infantry, and some other stuff of your choosing (I use fanatics). 

Your damage comes from your spiders, mainly arachnaroks in the early turns. Your resilience comes from your arachnaroks. Your synergy comes from your general and arachnaroks. Your spell-casting comes from your arachnaroks. Your mortal wounds come from your arachnaroks, your non-mortal wounds come from your arachnaroks (see a theme here?). Other damage comes from a well-timed fanatic release, and carefully-chosen spider rider charge. 

The spiders are squishy and expensive so need to be used carefully, I find it best to send them flanking and grabbing objectives, and charging in to attack things that just must die. Bellowing Tyrant is almost always a good choice on these guys, as they'll need to either run, charge, or face a battleshock test every turn. The fanatics should attack before your spider riders ideally (you'll see why). The best defense for spider riders is making the enemy make difficult choices, e.g. make them HAVE TO target your arachnarok as it is doing quadrouple mortal wounds on their heroes and elite units, use their movement to keep them out of threat range, and remove their choice to charge by bogging them down with netters. 

I find the General item that gives him a 5+ mortal wound save is best, as he must survive (but beware, he is still weak versus high rend regular damage). For your allegiance trait I take the Bellowing Tyrant one as its useful every turn for various reasons. 

When setting up, and every turn after, ensure your general, arachnaroks, and at least one spider rider model are within a 6'' bubble. Its tight but necessary. One arachnarok can go off on its own with some riders also, as they still get decent synergy. The 6'' bubble gives you options every turn, e.g. Bellowing Tyrant, general's spider god aura, arachnaroks mystic shield and spider spell, etc. Hard to know what you'll do until you do it, but the close proximity ensures you can choose every turn. Your movement superiority is essential, enabling you to have choices every turn but denying your enemy any easy choices. 

The grot chaff are essential for locking down hitty enemies as well as holding objectives. The netters are regularly MVP for me in battles, best used alone versus enemy units (yes alone, no other grots), engaging enemy units on their skinny end ensuring that only a few models can then pile in (and miss due to nets). Other uses of grots is full-frontal engagement to screen your spiders, or simply hide out of threat range on objectives - if you are fighting fairly with goblins you're doing it wrong. The netters should be a priority heat-seeking missile towards any enemy unit that has bonus effects on a 6+ to hit. That can be a game-changer. 

Depends on the battleplan but you generally want to lob your arachnaroks forward into combat ASAP, ideally mystic shielded as well as double-buffed with spider buffs. Better still try and get them to activate the terrain that gives them + to hit. They can survive 2 intense turns like this, taking down all sorts of enemy units (both squishy and tanky) as well as holding the enemy back. Your arachnaroks are very effective even when close to death (same mortal wound output regardless). 
The grots then screen things (especially anything with special bonus stuff on 6s to hit - make a bee-line for these, its super efficient over several turns).

The General should cower behind everything (sitting on top of scenery is a fun trick. I call it the balespider vortex), unless you think his damage can contribute SAFELY in a brawl, i.e. not get him targeted and killed. He is a tanky guy and can hold his own in many fights, but a smart enemy will snipe him still, so your defense is the mortal wound save, or hiding.  

The spider riders can stay slightly on the flanks, in a blob of 10-15 ideally, with 5 of them conga-lining back within 6'' of your general / arachnarok for the buffs if needed. They should charge things on the skinny end where few enemies can retaliate, or when you know you'll finish them off mostly that turn. Don't over-commit them, and be ready to run away and change plans with these guys. They are rarely MVP in a brawl battle, but often MVP when running 15+ inches across the table (over terrain) to score an unguarded objective. They should always be positioned ready to seize these opportunities. 

The fanatics and the spider riders compete for first activation in combat, so you don't want both your spider riders and fanatics to be vulnerable in a single combat phase. Instead ensure your fanatics are only released when spider riders not charging invulnerbale, and vice-versa. Typically one goes in turn 2 and the other in turn 3, unless they might get attacked first... so screen wisely. 

Typically you want to activate your fanatics when your anvil-arachnaroks are thrown in fully-buffed, and your fanatics then release and strike first on some prey. 

Your grots job is to survive, not fight, ever. They are terrible at fighting unless sat on terrain that gives rerolls to wound. They are for screening, tarpits (at the skinny end of enemy units ideally), and sitting on objectives. 

As a spider army you usually have a strong first couple of turns against mostly melee armies, being able to dictate where and when the fighting starts, as your movement gets you to the best places (never pick a fair fight as goblins, remember). Ideally set up knowing your enemies approximate charge range, setting up around 9 inches charge away (makes the enemy make risky choices, whereby they either charge some netters-only, or crowd control themselves for a turn with a failed charge), but as a priority charge first with your Destruction move on your arachnarok, fully-buffed. He should act as a sponge for enemy charges as he is the easiest choice for them.

If you're against ranged though... hide your general behind some terrain LOS. Throw in your arachnarok bomb ASAP, just charge in with everything using your movement superiority and hope for the best (i'm less experience at this, need more practice).

Late game you'll suck versus everything unless you've killed through things effectively already. This is why it's critical that you don't over-commit your grots to combat early, keep them in full coward mode early on, as late game you'll really need them to hold your objectives and victory point advantages, and frustrate your enemies when they attempt to claw back to a victory. 

If you have even a few spider riders left in turn 4-5 you've done well, as they can then run basically anywhere on the table and score objectives, out-running anything, kiting the enemy survivors, and being the MVP late game. 

Oh and your bows are useless.

tldr: fighting is over-rated, play cowardly, exploit your movement advantage, netters are your friend. 

22 hours ago, Sheriff said:

The netters are regularly MVP for me in battles, best used alone versus enemy units (yes alone, no other grots)

In the most recent FAQ docs from GW is the following:

Q: On the Moonclan Grots warscroll, how many Netters count as a ‘few’?
A: Up to three out of every twenty models.

I guess this may change the way you run them?

1 minute ago, Soup Dragon said:

In the most recent FAQ docs from GW is the following:

Q: On the Moonclan Grots warscroll, how many Netters count as a ‘few’?
A: Up to three out of every twenty models.

I guess this may change the way you run them?

Nah I mean i just poke out the netters in front. I only have whats in the box (3 netters per 20). Or conga-line a netter at the front, then a regular grot behind, then a netter, etc. So even when the enemy piles in, they all get netted. Then remove non-netter models from the back when i get casualties. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been having fun with this list:

-Grot Big Boss in Gigantic Spider

-2x Grot Shaman on Arachnarok

-Aracknarok with Flinger

-2 units of 5 Spider Riders 

-1 unit of 30 spider riders

allies:

-2x Spear Chukkas

-Grot Shaman (Moonclan)

The small units of riders are for screening the harder hitting stuff.  The big unit is what gets all the work done. It can engage multiple enemy units and lets me get the most out of Gift of the Spider God. Protecting the general is also key.

The spear chukkas are also great and I think the best allied option spiderfang has.

4 hours ago, danimo said:

I’ve been having fun with this list:

-Grot Big Boss in Gigantic Spider

-2x Grot Shaman on Arachnarok

-Aracknarok with Flinger

-2 units of 5 Spider Riders 

-1 unit of 30 spider riders

allies:

-2x Spear Chukkas

-Grot Shaman (Moonclan)

The small units of riders are for screening the harder hitting stuff.  The big unit is what gets all the work done. It can engage multiple enemy units and lets me get the most out of Gift of the Spider God. Protecting the general is also key.

The spear chukkas are also great and I think the best allied option spiderfang has.

Wow hadn't thought of using 5 spider riders as suicide chaff. Will try this! xD

Does the unit of 30 spider riders struggle with bravery and ranged beatings? How many typically get into combat when you charge with them? 

What do you typically do with the arachnaroks? they stay behind or charge in alongside the the 30 spiderbros? 

Who takes objectives? 

56 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Wow hadn't thought of using 5 spider riders as suicide chaff. Will try this! xD

Does the unit of 30 spider riders struggle with bravery and ranged beatings? How many typically get into combat when you charge with them? 

What do you typically do with the arachnaroks? they stay behind or charge in alongside the the 30 spiderbros? 

Who takes objectives? 

The small rider units can be used as objective taking units if the opponent isn't a charge-focused army.  With Bellowing Tyrant and the +2 bonus for having 20 models they are effective Bravery 8  for the first turn or two, which isn't shabby. With 2 wounds each your opponent has to deal significant damage and focus on that one unit if they want to cause a lot of early moral losses. If they are just pelting with ranged attacks you'll get more bravery from the banner too. Since I have everything on round bases I often can't get many into combat, it depends on the size of my opponent's units. But the big blob of spiders is more resilient than many expect.

The Flinger arachnarok usually gets mystic shield if the general is safe and charges forward to tank hits and be a distraction. One shaman arachnarok stays with the big pack to buff them and the 3rd spider can hang back or get in there. But the Arachnaroks don't have the quantity of attacks like rider blob does and its not rare for them to just whiff or do only 1-4 wounds.

My game yesterday against Soulblight the big 30-model blob got charged by a Vampire on Zombie Dragon and piled into combat with 5 blood knights (that just deleted a 5-rider unit) and came out on top with 20 models still remaining after two rounds of fighting.

2 minutes ago, danimo said:

The small rider units can be used as objective taking units if the opponent isn't a charge-focused army.  With Bellowing Tyrant and the +2 bonus for having 20 models they are effective Bravery 8  for the first turn or two, which isn't shabby. With 2 wounds each your opponent has to deal significant damage and focus on that one unit if they want to cause a lot of early moral losses. If they are just pelting with ranged attacks you'll get more bravery from the banner too. Since I have everything on round bases I often can't get many into combat, it depends on the size of my opponent's units. But the big blob of spiders is more resilient than many expect.

The Flinger arachnarok usually gets mystic shield if the general is safe and charges forward to tank hits and be a distraction. One shaman arachnarok stays with the big pack to buff them and the 3rd spider can hang back or get in there. But the Arachnaroks don't have the quantity of attacks like rider blob does and its not rare for them to just whiff or do only 1-4 wounds.

My game yesterday against Soulblight the big 30-model blob got charged by a Vampire on Zombie Dragon and piled into combat with 5 blood knights (that just deleted a 5-rider unit) and came out on top with 20 models still remaining after two rounds of fighting.

Interesting, thanks!

I've tried the blob of spiders (20 for me so far) and found that they seldom get more than 6 into combat, so the spider spell buff is better on the arachnarok (which is tougher). I want to try out the blob more to see how I can make it work. Currently using 2 units of 10, one on each flank, and they either run for objectives or charge based on the situation in front of them. 

Does your general typically manage to stay within 6 inches of your spider rider blob in the combat phase? Daisy-chain the spiders back to him? 

6 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Interesting, thanks!

I've tried the blob of spiders (20 for me so far) and found that they seldom get more than 6 into combat, so the spider spell buff is better on the arachnarok (which is tougher). I want to try out the blob more to see how I can make it work. Currently using 2 units of 10, one on each flank, and they either run for objectives or charge based on the situation in front of them. 

Does your general typically manage to stay within 6 inches of your spider rider blob in the combat phase? Daisy-chain the spiders back to him? 

I try to keep most of the army near each other to start but since you can only get so many spider riders into combat at once its not hard to keep one close enough to the general/daisy chain them

Archived