Ironjawz themed Troggoth Hag?

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

There seems to be a fair bit of buzz about the Troggoth Hag as an Ironjawz ally at present. Maybe it's her rules, maybe it's her titties? Either way, she's a hot topic!

I've had conversations with good bosom buddies of mine @Sangfroid and @Paul Buckler about this luscious lady. They are both advocates for her and tbh, it's hard to disagree as she really does have a lot going for her and would slot very nicely into many an Ironjawz army I suspect.

My only riposte has really been towards the model. Now this is strange as I happen to think the model is absolutely fantastic! However, I just don't think it looks right in an Ironjawz army. This is especially the case in mine when I'm using a Gorkanaut as a Rogue Idol and would consider Deff Dreds for Gargants etc. My problem is that I just can't think of something suitable for our tasty Troggoth friend!

This is where being an avid hobbyist and painter is at adds with my desire to do well in my games. It's undeniable she is a good choice (certainly not an auto include, but still) and I think I'd like to at least have the option.

Does anyone have any clever ideas for a conversion or counts as?

Chris

That's an interesting question - I went over the troll king from the Hobbit, plus other LotR trolls but none of those worked. Thought about taking a Pox maggoth from the Maggoth Lord kit and cleaning it up and putting a river troll head on it, plus some new hands...But that probably won't work too too well either.

I thought about using the Cygor kit with a different head, but that's too skinny and tall, so you'd have to do extensive work to get a more bent over position of the model, and even then it would need extra armour plates.

Then I looked through various Mierce models and there are some that can work, but none that struck as perfect and I think they have to be pretty spot on for the price they charge.

After that I simpy went to the old classic Daemon Prince kit, which I think could actually work without too much greenstuffin'. It'd need a new head, and probably some reworkings of the hand, plus a few gap filling since you're not going to use the tail + wings. But the Daemon Prince has parts that would make a mostly armoured model, so that is sort of Ironjawz-y...But I think there may simply be a size issue. The Troll Hag is pretty big, and the Prince is not as big, even with a bit higher base.

I looked at some of the Hordes trolls, and the gargantuans are certainly the right size, but none of them really fit the Ironjawz aestetics, and they're quite pricey.

If you simply wanted something a bit more orruk-y, then my best bet might be this guy:

http://www.andreaeurope.com/en/1/andrea-miniatures/123/warlord-saga/1294/ws-11-orohg-broken-fang.html#!prettyPhoto

I'd imagine it would have the size, but I'm not certain of its precise height.

Although I personally don't really like them, the Gundabad trolls also from Forgeworld might be the right size and technically trolls too, even if they look nothing like the AoS troggoths. I presume you've seen those?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/Gundabad-Trolls

That was all a longwinded way of saying....I dunno really. But post some pictures if you find something useful :-)

Ironjawz are all about sticking more armour on stuff to make it dead 'ard, and the Troggoth Hag's all about having... lady parts, right? Thinking take your preferred larger troll model and slap on a Madonna style cone bra to distinguish it as an Ironjaw and a lady troll:

Ppb4bwD.jpg

Alternative colour scheme behind the spoiler:
Spoiler

When I was tempted by her charms I was planning conversions even before the list...

In my head I saw a armored bra type set up, spare armor bits in random places, spikey weapon bits on her stick but the big one for me was the bag she carried. I was going to use her as a giant loot pack mule for the boyz so my plan there was convert her bag to be carrying  more spare weapons and stuff. The idea looked good in my head but without seeing the model to scale I wasnt sure how to do it

Morning all,

Thanks for the replies, some good stuff here!

@Spiky Norman - I won't quote your entire post, but some really good stuff there. Ultimately I think some of it, such as the Daemon Prince, sounds cool but is just a bit too small. As you say, the official model is large, probably best classified as BBW. The Trollblood Gargantuans are great models for sure, but I share the same concerns. That big Orc dude you linked to is really cool, but I think I want to try and keep my Ironjawz pure GW for potential future stream play etc.

The Gundabad Trolls are indeed something I've seen, I was at the open day when they were previewed and instantly said they'd made fantastic Ironjawz Gargants. However, I must admit I'd completely forgotten about them. That could be an option for sure. Thanks!! 

14 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Ironjawz are all about sticking more armour on stuff to make it dead 'ard, and the Troggoth Hag's all about having... lady parts, right? Thinking take your preferred larger troll model and slap on a Madonna style cone bra to distinguish it as an Ironjaw and a lady troll:

Alternative colour scheme behind the spoiler:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is a fantastic idea and goes really well with the Gundabad Troll idea above. I feel that I plan is starting to form here!

Also, love the hidden contents. Can't beat a bit of Partridge (literally have that and Peep Show on endless loop in my house!).

13 hours ago, Fungrim said:

@Double Misfire best use of hidden content I've ever seen on here.... ??

Agreed! AHA!

11 hours ago, Malakithe said:

When I was tempted by her charms I was planning conversions even before the list...

In my head I saw a armored bra type set up, spare armor bits in random places, spikey weapon bits on her stick but the big one for me was the bag she carried. I was going to use her as a giant loot pack mule for the boyz so my plan there was convert her bag to be carrying  more spare weapons and stuff. The idea looked good in my head but without seeing the model to scale I wasnt sure how to do it

That would be cool, however you could come into a bit of bother as her sack is just a massive lump of resin. I imagine it could be tricky to do?

7 hours ago, Killamike said:

If you are going for a mechanical look belasarous cawl with suitable orkness could work. 

That's a pretty interesting idea. How big is Cawl? I know he's bigger than he perhaps looks in pics, but still too small perhaps?

Thanks again, the Gundabad Troll with some conversion work is sounding like the breast best idea right now, but still open to more input!

Chris

6 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Agreed! AHA!

Ahaaaaa!

7 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

That's a pretty interesting idea. How big is Cawl? I know he's bigger than he perhaps looks in pics, but still too small perhaps?

Love the Cawl shout from @Killamike - had some thoughts about trying to make a Weirdnob out of him (seen some lovely AoS conversions for other wizards in a similar vein) - but again there's a size thing there. Too big for a Weirdnob, probably too small for a Hag? That said, clipping away some of the tentacle things, you could probably stick two legs on it, so the cloak is above ground level, and make it that bit bigger?

Standard go-to: just checked out the Blood Bowl Troll, see what could be done there. Again, too small on its own, but kit-bashed with a Cawl, and maybe a Fellwater Trogg? Could produce interesting results.

Also, I can't believe this happened....

11 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

.... is sounding like the breast best idea right now.....

Since you've already mentioned that you've used a Deff dread before, then perhaps the Forgeworld Mega Dread could be an option if you want something mechanical.

Personally I can't see the dreads be troll-stand in, but you never know what kind of crazy conversions people come up with, so I might be surprised :-)

If nothing else then the Mega dread certainly have size needed.

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, Spiky Norman said:

Since you've already mentioned that you've used a Deff dread before, then perhaps the Forgeworld Mega Dread could be an option if you want something mechanical.

Personally I can't see the dreads be troll-stand in, but you never know what kind of crazy conversions people come up with, so I might be surprised :-)

If nothing else then the Mega dread certainly have size needed.

Hey,

I don't mind mechanical things for the Rogue Idol, or even the Gargant, but I also agree with you in that it doesn't feel quite right for the Troggoth Hag especially with her being a wizard.

I do need to get a Mega Dread though tbh, fantastic model. Can just use it in my 40K Ork army if nothing else.

Archived