Need help painting moonclan robes

Congratz

Hey there.

I know this might be a stupid question but I can't make my moonclan grots robes look cool.

I have tried many thinks but at the end it just looks dead and that no effort was giring in to it.

So I thought that Maybe some of you could give me some ideas? 

I still want Them to have a darkish robe.

Thank you ?

I'm going to make my moonclan robes white because I guess they would rather reflect light and heat than absorb it, but for dark robes I would use a dark grey to highlight the folds (eshin grey if using GW range) and a lighter one for edge highlights (dawnstone), which should be enough, however if they still look too plain to you, maybe try out adding a bit of pure white to the most exposed edges. 

On a totally different idea you could use Black 2.0 for a really unique army! Though I'm not sure if it would work out as great as in the photos...

I take it your doing black robes? I had all kinds of trouble.

I went to a hobby store and bought three different dark gray Testors spray paints. Lightly mist them on after a black primer. Edge highlight a couple of folds and then wash with Army painter dark ink. They look great. Different shades of dark gray with soft highlights and dark folds. 

The only "problem" with really dark color schemes without a lot of hilight is they get very muddy on the table at "tabletop distances" (~arms length to ~3feet).
You might want to consider a Drybrushed dawnstone for your hilight after the washes. (You could even go one level brighter with LongBeard Grey.)
( the wash robe technique is what Pirate Viking Painting did https://piratevikingpainting.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-batch-paint-night-goblins.html?m=1 )

Alternately:
Abaddon Black
Drybrush Eshin Grey over robes
Wash with nuln oil (matte)
Drybrush dawnstone for the last "edge pop"
The key is "being able to see them at arms length"

Archived