Please doctor my 2000 SCE list

Immersturm

Hey folks.

Allow me to present you a list I played the other day and had some pretty mad success with:

Celestant-Prime (360)
Knight-Vexillor (140) - Meteoric Standard, Treasured Standard: Lichebone Standard
Lord-Aquilor (200) - General, Trait: Staunch Defender, Artefact: Mirrorshield, Gryph-Charger Trait: Lithe-limbed
5 x Liberators (100) - Warhammers, 1x Grandhammers
5 x Paladin Protectors (200) - 2x Starsoul Maces
5 x Paladin Protectors (200) - 2x Starsoul Maces
6 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (160) - 2x Stormsurge Tridents
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (320)
Hammerstrike Force (120)
Total: 2000/2000

However, I am still not particularly pleased with it. I am not sure why. Maybe it is the hero selection or trying to do many things at once. The Prime + Vexillor combination performed admirably. It sniped out heroes like no tomorrow and in conjunction with teleporting Paladins and the outflanking Raptors, this list eliminates a lot of the first turn, but is also capable on playing defensively.

Things I am not sure about are the following: Is the Aquilor + Hurricane combo with the 520 points I am investing into it? The Aquilor gives up a general slot just to move around the Raptors and the Raptors themselves, while a bit better than Judicators, are very soft and will go down to dedicated ranged lists, which are more common than melee lists these days. I feel like a more useful general could take this spot or even other heroes that have more impact on the whole army, in addition to maybe one set of Fulminators.

Next up, is the Vexillor even worth it? Sure, it deals a lot of damage and together with the Prime's shooting and his -2 Bravery modifier it can wreck heroes and force a lot of models to flee. However, I can not shake the feeling that after the initial impact, his performance is non-existent outside of charge re-rolls. And tied with him is the question whether investing in the Prime is right. Sure, he can kill heroes over two turns and force a lot of checks, but Skyfires and Thundertusks will murder him. Still, he seems flexible, just very expensive...

Lastly, I am fairly cheap with my Battleline. They are there to benefit from Staunch Defender and prevent melee rushes. Still, I feel like I could be doing more with them. If any of the above units will be removed, I could restructure the Battleline. Still, I do not know what do make of them.

So yes, those are my questions. Other than that, do you think this is worth exapnding on? If yes, would the Celestial Vindicators maybe be a good pick? And if no, why? Are Dracoths that much better?

Thanks very much for reading. Take care :)

Ooh your hero pts is exactly LCoSD and Castellant.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (600)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Stardrake Trait: Star-branded
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
6 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (160)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (320)
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 2000/2000

I might try this list out!

I like this list and think the Aquilor Hurricane raptors combo is nice.

I am not sure about the Vexillor. The prime I can see as a pretty solid threat.

Alternatively I'm not sure about hammerstrike with 2x5 protectors.

That said, you've been having success and know your list.

I would listen to your own gut feeling and test out a few tweaks. Everyone else will recommend 'their own favourite'.

Mine? I really love relictors - that'd be my strongest recommendation. 2 of those.

There are a few ways to play them in your list:

1. Bless weapons (almost guaranteed),

2. Lightning chariot x 2 for support units with the hurricanes (or moving the hurricanes initially and preserving the extra 18 shots. You could bring them back with the Aquilor next turn).

Another thing I'm thinking of is Azyros's... Azyrosi? Azyri? Anyway, the reroll 1s to hit for the hurricanes is pretty good.

6 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Aquilors ability is subsequent (following) movement phase. Not next turn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is but I mean, theyd setup via lightning chariot then shoot.

You could set them up via lightning chariot then take them off via Aquilor and setup in movement phase again elsewhere (not sure why you would but you could).

I was thinking more:

• Lightning Chariot (from within 3" of relictor to 24" away)
  • 54 shots
  • Aquilor command ability the following hero phase (way out of reach of relictor)

As opposed to

• Aquilor move
  • 36 shots
  • Aquilor command ability the following hero phase

Thanks for the input, guys :)

On 21/05/2017 at 8:34 AM, SySt3m_3rr0r said:

Missing some Judicators, Retributors and Dracothian Guards...

I agree on the Judicators. Some new iterations included 2 sets of 5 with bows and they are doing well and are probably here to stay. Now then, I do not necessarily agree on the Dracoths. Dracoths and Paladins do not belong in one list, in my opinion. Too much of a point sink and lack of focus.

As for Retributors. I have been going back and forth. On the one hand, they are deadly with +1 hit modifiers, but on the other hand, they are more expensive and they miss out on the +1 to wound buff from the Hammerstrike. I guess I will need to test it out.

21 hours ago, Turragor said:

I like this list and think the Aquilor Hurricane raptors combo is nice.

I am not sure about the Vexillor. The prime I can see as a pretty solid threat.

Alternatively I'm not sure about hammerstrike with 2x5 protectors.

That said, you've been having success and know your list.

I would listen to your own gut feeling and test out a few tweaks. Everyone else will recommend 'their own favourite'.

Mine? I really love relictors - that'd be my strongest recommendation. 2 of those.

There are a few ways to play them in your list:

1. Bless weapons (almost guaranteed),

2. Lightning chariot x 2 for support units with the hurricanes (or moving the hurricanes initially and preserving the extra 18 shots. You could bring them back with the Aquilor next turn).

Another thing I'm thinking of is Azyros's... Azyrosi? Azyri? Anyway, the reroll 1s to hit for the hurricanes is pretty good.

After going back and forth on it, I feel like dropping the Vanguard combo. It feels a bit expensive and limited for what it does. It most certainly is good, but I am running too many combos and thus I think I need to cut either Prime or Hammerstrike or the Vanguard. Given that the Prime works pretty well with the Hammerstrike, I decided to keep those.

Basically, a new approach might look like this:

Prime, Relictor, Castellan, Heraldor - 10 Libs, 2 units of 5 Judicators, 2 units of 5 Protectors, 6 Prosecutors with Javelins, 5 Hunters - Hammerstrike - 2000p

Much more buff oriented. The 10 Libs act as tarpit, buffed with Castellan and Relictor, unless those buffs are needed elsewhere. Judicators, Prime, Heraldor and Prosecutors are capable of doing plenty of ranged damage, whereas the Prots (possibly with Prime support) can surgically remove certain units. The Hunters were a last-minute-140-points-left-over-addition, which I recon can be useful to snatch objectives.

An alternative version could be removing the Heraldor, Prime and Hunters, and adding a second Relictor, a Lord Celestant and 6 Palladors.

Let me know what you think ;)

Archived