Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

11 minutes ago, Congratz said:

I just finished painting my start collecting nurgle! yay!

Me and my m8s are gonna play a game and then add more units to our armies. But i don't know where to go next!

I was thinking 

1) 20 Plaguebearers

2) 10 Blightkings (maybe gutrot spume)

Or what do you guys thinks?

Both are excellent to be honest. 10 BKs give them some of the resilience they're missing as mortal nurgle, but pushing your 10 PBs to 30 makes them one of the best battleline units in the game. Can't go wrong!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, avanp said:

What do you think of Rotigus? Him and the Lord of Afflictions, and two units of Pusgoyle Blightlords would look beautiful...

Oh if you go the Pusgoyles route, then the normal GUO can buff them with his ability because they're demons too. Rotigus too if you want the Lord of Affliction as General, but you'll maybe starve for models at 1000k for objective. It would still be solid figurines though and a really elite army, which may be really fun to play.

16 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I have yet to get the LOA on the table (still painting him), but I think he'll be rock solid!

I think so too, he's costy but bring a lot to the table, being a mortal-demon-rotbringer model. He regen, has a good AoE, not so bad rend, good save for a hero.

19 minutes ago, Poltron said:

I think so too, he's costy but bring a lot to the table, being a mortal-demon-rotbringer model. He regen, has a good AoE, not so bad rend, good save for a hero.

I love the fact that he's also a fast daemon hero and can be used to activate plague drone's animus and keep up with them.  Maths seem to indicate Plague Drones over Pusgoiles - but you can get more Pusgoiles into combat per point.  That 220 points though is tough to fit in lists and seems rather steep.   

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

I love the fact that he's also a fast daemon hero and can be used to activate plague drone's animus and keep up with them.  Maths seem to indicate Plague Drones over Pusgoiles - but you can get more Pusgoiles into combat per point.  That 220 points though is tough to fit in lists and seems rather steep.   

I'd have to agree.

Pusgoyles are awful both in price point and design.  Which is a shame because the models are beautiful and I had hoped they would be purchasing elite unit that delivered significant rend or mortal wounds without the aid of magic like other armies.  Such as Morghasts, Fulminators, Kurnoth Hunters or Sky Fires.

20 minutes ago, Krieger said:

I'd have to agree.

Pusgoyles are awful both in price point and design.  Which is a shame because the models are beautiful and I had hoped they would be purchasing elite unit that delivered significant rend or mortal wounds without the aid of magic like other armies.  Such as Morghasts, Fulminators, Kurnoth Hunters or Sky Fires.

The other thing that kinda stinks is you can't just get the LoA. You end up with an extra Pusgoyle, but since units come in multiples of 2's, you're stuck with an extra model you can't use. 

27 minutes ago, Krieger said:
2 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

I'd have to agree.

I would have to disagree, on certain scenarios at least. They could have been better with rend, but they're still good durable heavy cavalry.

I made the maths, and for 4 drones against 4 pusgoyles (which is more realist than always 6 vs 4, because they wont always be in combat), you have 1 attack less for the Pusgoyles (both buffed with +2 and +1 attack), but you have 4 extra -2 2 which could mean you actually hurt a heavy-save model more, and you get the chance to proc the d6 on 6.  You also get one extra save,  and the ability to receive buffs from every side (with an harbinger, you get 4+ 5++ 5++ and the GUO can still buff your ass if you dont use Glottkin)

All that for 40 more points. It's not that big of an investment and I'm pretty tempted to try them, because I normally run and charge with my drones anyway, so the shooting is meh. 

I do find the box ridiculous though, having to build a lord and then get 1, but I may use the next 3 drones from my Start Collecting to convert them with blightkings models, so that I have 4 right off the bat.

1 hour ago, Poltron said:

I would have to disagree, on certain scenarios at least. They could have been better with rend, but they're still good durable heavy cavalry.

I made the maths, and for 4 drones against 4 pusgoyles (which is more realist than always 6 vs 4, because they wont always be in combat), you have 1 attack less for the Pusgoyles (both buffed with +2 and +1 attack), but you have 4 extra -2 2 which could mean you actually hurt a heavy-save model more, and you get the chance to proc the d6 on 6.  You also get one extra save,  and the ability to receive buffs from every side (with an harbinger, you get 4+ 5++ 5++ and the GUO can still buff your ass if you dont use Glottkin)

All that for 40 more points. It's not that big of an investment and I'm pretty tempted to try them, because I normally run and charge with my drones anyway, so the shooting is meh. 

I do find the box ridiculous though, having to build a lord and then get 1, but I may use the next 3 drones from my Start Collecting to convert them with blightkings models, so that I have 4 right off the bat.

Fair enough, assuming you can only get the 4 drones into combat.  And the 2 Pusgoyles are 14 wounds as compared to 3 drones having 15 wounds - so basically not giving up much there by going pusgoyles.

And you're right, you sure get a lot of extra Blight King bits in that kit, so a drone-to-pusgoyle conversion might be reasonable.  

5 hours ago, MacDuff said:

You get 2 extra complete upper bodies w/ weapons in a Pusgoyles box, and 2 extra sets of tentacles with 2 Beasts of Nurgle. I had extra drones, so I made tentacle legs for the extra BKs and it looks great.

Did you need  a lot of green stuff or it was fairly easy to mix and match. I'm pretty happy to learn I wont have to custom made them that much.

23 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

The other thing that kinda stinks is you can't just get the LoA. You end up with an extra Pusgoyle, but since units come in multiples of 2's, you're stuck with an extra model you can't use. 

In our local GW, it's allowed to take a third model for 110 Points. But this are maybe just House Rules. 

What also works:

Convert the second Pusgoyle as Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount!

The Warscroll doesn't tell us, what kind of Mount it has to be. 

A Lord on Mount is strong combined with Chaos Knights. Both can take the Mark of Nurgle. With Harbringer AND Lord, they're hitting better and are extreme durable. Makes Glaives a lot better. The Lord also is great, because he has Rend an 2 Damage.

Contra.

Knights and Pusgoyles are very expensive.

But they're faster than anything else Nurgle can take. 

6 minutes ago, Aex said:

Convert the second Pusgoyle as Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount!

That is a pretty sweet idea. You could make the mount more of a crawly plague-bug thing. 

Another natural job for the odd Pusgoyle is to become a Demonprince. The Saddle is harder to deal with than a standard Plague Drone Fly, but there is likely some kind of potential there.

Wouldn’t mind some thoughts on my current list idea if you’d all be so kind:

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

14 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Wouldn’t mind some thoughts on my current list idea if you’d all be so kind:

Pretty sweet. Not dissimilar to mine. Rotigus/GUO combo should be rock solid. Favored Poxes on the GUO, he'll not be able to use other spells while that is up. That may not be an issue if the BKs murder whatever is debuffed quickly, but you'll be losing a spell opportunity ever turn its up past the first. Maybe that isn't a problem, but I've avoided Favored Poxes on him for that reason. I prefer Heralds for that role.

Sumptuous Pestilence is pretty short ranged yeah? Will Rotigus be in range to use it often? His normal spell doesn't require him to be up in the line. Maybe this isn't a big deal, but something to consider. 

I'd be interested to see how you like the Demonprince. I've dropped him for a herald, but have thought about bringing him back. I've found that Heralds or GUO can trigger the locus if you play carefully. The DP tended to get shot to hell early on because people are scared of him. That is valuable in its own way, but it would often cause the Drones to lose Locus as I wasn't smart enough to double up on nearby demon heroes. 

Get some games in with this build and see if the spell points I mentioned are a problem. The mix of battle line is great as are the Drones. 

14 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

The DP tended to get shot to hell early on because people are scared of him. That is valuable in its own way, but it would often cause the Drones to lose Locus as I wasn't smart enough to double up on nearby demon heroes. 

My exact experience! Put me off the idea of drones at all, but still fielding 3 with DP.  By herald do you mean poxbringer??

3 hours ago, Poltron said:

Did you need  a lot of green stuff or it was fairly easy to mix and match. I'm pretty happy to learn I wont have to custom made them that much.

I had to use part of a Beast inner mouth for the BK rear ends, but could cut the extra one in half for both. I did need 2 extra shoulder pads for each as thigh guards (Stormcast or Space Marine), glued to the lower stomach, and then the tentacles can slip in under them. The only green stuff I used was a blob to sit on and press them into, and the tentacles hid that. 2 Beast kits give tons of extra tentacles to hide all sins.

41 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

My exact experience! Put me off the idea of drones at all, but still fielding 3 with DP.  By herald do you mean poxbringer??

Yeah, Poxbringer is the one I was thinking of. I'm a bit slow on the draw with the new names still. 

Drones are amazing. They can take a lot of heat, put out damage, and are mobile-ish. The last event I did, last weekend, I was surprised how easy it was to keep them in Locus range simply by running the Poxbringer and/or the GUO to key areas. Of course that is situational, Gnarlmaws may get you to project the Drones out too much, or you may want to get more into combat with a pile in, taking them out of range of the hero by the time combat step kicks in. 

The Demonprince is almost cool. He has a similar problem to the GUO, he wiffs in combat way more than you'd expect. He may make an appearance again in my lists, we'll see.

10 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

The Demonprince is almost cool. He has a similar problem to the GUO, he wiffs in combat way more than you'd expect. He may make an appearance again in my lists, we'll see.

The whiff in combat I can deal with, it's the lack of 5++ save I cant understand why. He's quickly dead when the enemy starts to point their mortal wounds or rend attack against him. 8 wounds isnt that good with only a 3+ save, but to be fair, he's just 160pts.

@Aaron Schmidt you’re spot on really mate. The DP isn’t great, but I struggle to see a better alternative for the cost. If he goes down too early though, I think I’ll still be able to tail the drones back to one of the GUOs to benefit from the locus.

i think Rotigus kinda needs to get up close and personal. His spell is great, but far too unreliable to focus on. He’s got an AoE mortal wound ability too, and sumptuous pestilence just adds to this. Plus he’s solid in combat if needed. 

With the other GUO being held back too, I don’t think I can afford to do the same with Rotigus. I think the normal GUO can stand around and maintain Poxes for a turn if I need him to, but yeh that does prevent him casting another spell, which is a bit of a pain.

2 minutes ago, Poltron said:

The whiff in combat I can deal with, it's the lack of 5++ save I cant understand why. He's quickly dead when the enemy starts to point their mortal wounds or rend attack against him. 8 wounds isnt that good with only a 3+ save, but to be fair, he's just 160pts.

Yup this is my exact experience. He’s good enough against normal wounds, but as soon as mortal wounds get pointed at him he goes down fast. It’s hard to find a decent alternative though, especially at his price point. If he had (or gained) disgustingly resilient, he’d be a thousand times better.

20 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Yup this is my exact experience. He’s good enough against normal wounds, but as soon as mortal wounds get pointed at him he goes down fast. It’s hard to find a decent alternative though, especially at his price point. If he had (or gained) disgustingly resilient, he’d be a thousand times better.

Yeah and if they up him in point with a 5++, let's say 200, then the lord of affliction becomes the clear contender.

Archived