Help with Phoenix temple

Amradiel

Greetings. I have always loved the Phoenix aspect of the High elves of old. And have decided that my next project will be a Phoenix temple army (even though I have promised myself to never play an army without a new battletome). I want to field 3 Phoenix models, 1 of them with an anointed. Which one are best as a mount? I was thinking about a Frostheart with a tanky Anointed on top and then 2 Flamespyres flying around causing mortal wounds. Any Phoenix temple players out there? 

Anoinented on frostheart is the best choice. -1 to hit to enemies is a strong tanky aspect. 

Flamespyres are amazing too for the flyover MW bombs.

also when creating a list, try and add a Mage in, maybe a loremaster to give the failed rolls to your general on FHP? Also to add shields to you PG, although they are very survivable anyway.

Is there are reason not to put annointed on all phoenices as long as you have free hero slots? (I mean witness to destiny is kinda good)

And remember the regenerating thing is out unless you pay reinforcement points for the resurrected model.

I've a 1000 points phoenix temple army as a hobby project, the gaming side was really optionnal, and the frosthearts were surprinsigly resilient and powerful, my list is :

-2 frosthearts with anointed,

-one anointed on foot (it's the one that originated the army)

-and 2 units of 10 guards.

At the moment I've never lost with them, I've played against dispossessed shooty or melee oriented, kharadrons, khorne bloodbound before the nex battletome, and moonclans.

I'd say as @Aezeal, put an anointed on each phoenixes if possible the ability is too good to pass.

i took 2000 pts to adepitcon for the championship:

4 frost hearts with annointed, 1X 20 pheonixguard, 2 X 10 phoenixguard, 2 annointed on foot

and 1000 pts to adepitcon for the teams: (teamed with fyreslayers)

2 frost hearts with annointed, 2X 10 phoenix guard, 1 annointed on foot.

like aezeal said,  don't take the fire phoenix in matched play since you'll have to pay for the reinforcements.

and theres no reason not to take a annointed on the frostheart since its free and gives you more punch and more armour.

also check your battleplan to see if capturing objectives requires 5+ models, or just "the most models"

i found at adepticon it was most models, so an annointed could sit on one by himself with no enemies around.

but if it requires 5, i'd drop a phoenix and take more guard.

I went 4 wins 1 loss in the champ

and 2 wins 1 loss in the teams.

my review, its a solid army.

I didn't find the lack of shooting/magic a problem at all.

the mobility of the frost hearts makes up for that.

most games i'd throw out a unit of phoenix guard or 1 phoenix in front of my opponent.

but with the move speed on the phoenixes, i could normally counter attach with the other 3.

the main thing that will cause you trouble is high armour. so kurnoth hunters with their rerolls, or dracoth riders.

phoenix temple doesn't have a lot of answers for that. The only thing i can reccommend is using your mobility

to make sure when you do have to fight them, you're fighting them with everything you have.

• 2 weeks later...

It says in the ORDER FAQ that you can't have any mounted Anointed in the battalion. 

So if you don't use the battalion then you can use as many mounted as the list allows? 

And when it comes to reinforcement points. Can you just not pay the points and let the Flamespyre Phoenix stay dead? 

Edit:

If you take a Loremaster, doesn't that mean that you can't take Phoenix guard as battleline? 

Hello @Amradiel, fellow brother of the Phoenix Temple!

I have almost assembled all of the models I need for my 2,000 point army (just need to pick up a couple of Anointeds on foot).

- Unfortunately, @HadrielCaine is indeed correct regarding the Loremaster.
- Again, it is unfortunate, but you cannot put ridden Phoenixes in the battalion.
- You can choose not to pay reinforcement points and let a Flamespyre stay dead. For me, its rebirth requiring reinforcement points kills it as an option.

My list is 2,000 points dead on and looks like this;

• Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix
  • Anointed
  • Anointed
  • 10 Phoenix Guard
  • 10 Phoenix Guard
  • 10 Phoenix Guard
  • 10 Phoenix Guard

It's probably not the best configuration to be honest, but should look cool!

Archived