Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

Am just starting with AoS, and at the pick army stage. I have seen two overlord armies  at my store at both looked awesome. Now I know my would never look that good, but the steam punk esthetic is very nice. I love how the ballon guys look and the guys with heavy weapons.

I would like to start with 1000pts and maybe next christmas move on to 1500-2000 pts.  But I do not know what is good, and how many models are actually needed for a full army. I also worry that the big ship models are obligatory. I saw them in both lists at my store, and they seem to be in all lists I found on different forums. Although I have not seen any 1000pts overlord lists, so maybe they are just a thing at more points. Or at least I wish that is true.

Would 3-6 balloon guys and  a balloon hero, with maybe a squad of normal infantry be close to 1000pts?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm not a KO player... but each box of infantry will build in either 100 or 120 points. SO 2 balloon boxes and another infantry box will be 360 max. The only balloon hero I see is that special character which is 300 points but I don't see him in any list so not sure if he's a good character to start with. Other characterss are 100-140 points. Basicly you'd be on about 500 points if you take one of the other character and 3 boxes. If you are sold on KO it'll mean you'll have to pay.. if money is an issue you could look at armies with a start collecting box, 2 of those boxes often get you near 1K points I think.

Ah ok, two starting boxs cost a bit too much for me. Am looking for a faction that would give me a 1000pts  with a hero and maybe 2-3 units. I have around 200$ to spend, but from that I have to buy the faction book and the general hand book, and that kind of a cuts deep in to the money I have for models/glue/paint.

Well bummer about the overlords, they are one of the armies I liked the looks of .

I would skip the faction book based on your budget.  Look at the factions that have both a start collecting and the skirmish boxes.  Both are at good discounts.  Splitting up the starter set type boxes with someone is another thing to consider.  You can get into Stormcast, Khorne, and Ironjawz quite cheaply, for example.

For instance, the IJ start collecting and weirdnob warband boxes provide 2 heroes (Shaman, warchanter) and 1 of each of their 3 units (Gruntas, brutes, Ardboys) for $150 US retail.  You also end up with a few extra Ardboys.

I don't think you can pay retail prices and get to 1k points for ~$150.  You probably can for ~$200 for a few factions.

18 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

yeah, I noticed that. my store doesn't really sell any age of sigmar, but they can order it for me. the thing is the books cost a lot of money, and they have to pu a 20% extra for mail, taxs etc because the order is under 300 $.

Maybe try to find someone to combine orders with.  

I'm a big "pay where you play" advocate, but due to your budget, plus you're starting AOS from scratch and since your store wants to charge an extra premium on top of the retail price... I would look at discount online retailers or the secondary market.  Once you get that initial 1k points and can start actually playing, then reconsider buying from your local store.

Am just new in to city, don't know anyone here and as most people at school play either age of sigmar or w40k, I decided for what I though was the cheaper thing. I don't trust other people enough to give them my money. I know this is probably off topic, but what good armies are low count and cheap in cash ? Just don't say it is iron jaws.

I don't think you can get too 1k points if you cannot afford 2 start collecting boxes. Have you looked at wayland games?  They always look cheap to me and it's where I send people to buy me presents (I myself buy at  my store where I play), not sure how they are for the us. Other option is to go stormcast and buy halves of starter set from ebay or Facebook. 

I don't really know how I could order online to be honest, I don't have the money in actual dollars. It is just money I got for christmas and my birthday.  I would rather not have to explain to my parents why am spending this much on plastic toys instead of something to wear or books for school.  Plus they seem to have their prices in British pounds and with the taxs and transport, I could afford 1 starter and one blister after money exchange. they have one bigger one for eternals, but am short on money for that . Plus I don't know if any of those are actually good. From what I have seen the last few days, armies aren't really using much of the starter set stuff.  Maybe one unit, and sometimes not even that.

Hello everyone!
Fairly new KO player here. I have been playing a few low point games so far and have now started thinking about fleshing out my models to make a 2000 list. Here is what I am thinking, would this work? I am yet to decide on hero items, endrinworks and such.

Skyport:
Urbaz

Admiral
Khemist
Khemist

Arkanaut Company x10
Arkanaut Company x10
Arkanaut Company x10
(Guessing skyhooks is the way to go)

Endrinriggers x9
(Saw & Rivet gun and 2x Grapnel launchers)
Endrinriggers x3
(Saw & Rivet gun)
Skywardens x9
(3x Volley guns & 3x Drill Cannons)

Ironclad
(Great sky cannon)

I was thinking of using the small unit of riggers to go down one of the flanks and threaten objectives and warmachines/casters.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:28 PM, blueshirtman said:

I don't really know how I could order online to be honest, I don't have the money in actual dollars. It is just money I got for christmas and my birthday.  I would rather not have to explain to my parents why am spending this much on plastic toys instead of something to wear or books for school.  Plus they seem to have their prices in British pounds and with the taxs and transport, I could afford 1 starter and one blister after money exchange. they have one bigger one for eternals, but am short on money for that . Plus I don't know if any of those are actually good. From what I have seen the last few days, armies aren't really using much of the starter set stuff.  Maybe one unit, and sometimes not even that.

If you are looking for a good deal on where to buy online in the states, I would recommend http://ministomp.com.  Landmine, who runs mini stomp, is super reliable and always cuts fantastic deals.  I would reach out to him and see what he can do for you.  Let him know Tom Lyons sent you and he should be able to hook you up.  He should be able to get both the books and the minis to you at a discount.

As for a playable 1k force, you could grab 10 x2 Arkanaut Company, a Frigate, 6 Riggers, 3 Skywardens, and a Khemist.  Retail that is  $315.  Discounts will reduce your cost but you won't get to $200 and that is without books.  

There just aren't many options with KO right now.  I could probably point you to some other factions where it would be easier to get to 1k with $150-200.  That said, if you picked up a KO Battleforce box and a Box of Arkanaut Company, you're at exactly 1k points and $210 retail before discounts.  It won't be the most refined KO force, but it is a great place to start.  If you are really aiming to build on a budget, this is where I would start.  

6 hours ago, UpTown said:

Hello everyone!
Fairly new KO player here. I have been playing a few low point games so far and have now started thinking about fleshing out my models to make a 2000 list. Here is what I am thinking, would this work? I am yet to decide on hero items, endrinworks and such.

Skyport:
Urbaz

Admiral
Khemist
Khemist

Arkanaut Company x10
Arkanaut Company x10
Arkanaut Company x10
(Guessing skyhooks is the way to go)

Endrinriggers x9
(Saw & Rivet gun and 2x Grapnel launchers)
Endrinriggers x3
(Saw & Rivet gun)
Skywardens x9
(3x Volley guns & 3x Drill Cannons)

Ironclad
(Great sky cannon)

I was thinking of using the small unit of riggers to go down one of the flanks and threaten objectives and warmachines/casters.

This is a variant of a solid build that has been proven to be reliable in competitive play.  I say variant only because most run Zilfin instead of Urbaz and most don't run the admiral and instead spend those points on either +10 to one of those AC/ +3 Riggers to the 3 pack of Riggers.  That said, I'm sure it would be playable enough and quite enjoyable.

Looking to possibly add some Fyreslayer allies to my army.  Would you guys take Vulkite Berzerkers with the sling shields or the dual weapons?

Rerolling hits is nice, but a 4+/4+ save(til they start taking wounds) and the chance for mortals on a charge seems better for them as allies.  Damage isnt really something i feel like i'm lacking in the games I play so I think the tankiness would go a lot further.

18 hours ago, Drofnum said:

Looking to possibly add some Fyreslayer allies to my army.  Would you guys take Vulkite Berzerkers with the sling shields or the dual weapons?

Rerolling hits is nice, but a 4+/4+ save(til they start taking wounds) and the chance for mortals on a charge seems better for them as allies.  Damage isnt really something i feel like i'm lacking in the games I play so I think the tankiness would go a lot further.

I too am thinking of this with the Runesmiter for hi tunneling ability.  The concensus I saw in the Fyreslayer thread and other places is that the sling-shields were preferable, granting better saves and chance for mortal wounds, so that is what I'm going with. 

40 minutes ago, FractalRain said:

I too am thinking of this with the Runesmiter for hi tunneling ability.  The concensus I saw in the Fyreslayer thread and other places is that the sling-shields were preferable, granting better saves and chance for mortal wounds, so that is what I'm going with. 

That was my thinking as well. Thanks! 

20 hours ago, Oldmanlee said:

Hi all 

does anyone have a copy of the 3 ironclad list that someone run at the gt finals at all 

I dident hear that was a list, but assuming it’s 3 ironclads, 3 troops, and a navigator (cheapest hero that gives all the boats movement). You only have 220 to go. So I’d guess a gunhauler or a second hero and a unit of Riggers for healing.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:43 AM, FractalRain said:

Ironically, a list I'm currently piloting now is running 20 Vulkites with a Runesmiter.  We'll see how things go.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, Thomas Lyons said:

Ironically, a list I'm currently piloting now is running 20 Vulkites with a Runesmiter.  We'll see how things go.

Definitely looking forward to hearing how it does!  I haven't tried it yet as I'm still waiting for 10 vulkites to arrive and be assembled. :)

Archived