Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Tzeentch said:

Thanks for the explanation @Nico @stato! It seems like taking an Aetherstrike Force severely hamstrings your Sky Port benefits, as well as what you can bring (i.e. all the required units don't leave you much room for more once you add in battleline and leaders).

Is there any list where this Battalion does OK, or is it more reserved for casual play?

I do like the idea of the Aetherstrike but for the points and need to run a gun hauler I've not yet worked out how I'd use it. They ability to shoot one unit in the hero phase is great but limited purely by the size of the units you can run. You'd prob not want to do it on the gun-hauler as it's a risk to hit, Prosecutors with javelins could be good but you would want a larger unit to get the points worth of the battalion.

Once I've got my second frigate painted I might buy a gunhauler to run Aetherstrike and see what I can do with it. I already run 6 Prosecutors as allies in my KO, they haven't been stellar yet but only 3 games and learning how they work. What they have been good at is worrying the enemy so they get a lot of attention and so take the heat from my main units of company, boat and Endriggers. I do also an Azyros as he give a bonus to all shooting units, not just Stormcast, so maybe I could look at bringing in the Venator instead. 

8 minutes ago, stato said:

I do like the idea of the Aetherstrike but for the points and need to run a gun hauler I've not yet worked out how I'd use it. They ability to shoot one unit in the hero phase is great but limited purely by the size of the units you can run. You'd prob not want to do it on the gun-hauler as it's a risk to hit, Prosecutors with javelins could be good but you would want a larger unit to get the points worth of the battalion.

Once I've got my second frigate painted I might buy a gunhauler to run Aetherstrike and see what I can do with it. I already run 6 Prosecutors as allies in my KO, they haven't been stellar yet but only 3 games and learning how they work. What they have been good at is worrying the enemy so they get a lot of attention and so take the heat from my main units of company, boat and Endriggers. I do also an Azyros as he give a bonus to all shooting units, not just Stormcast, so maybe I could look at bringing in the Venator instead. 

Nice! I was thinking something similar - Run a unit of 9 Javelin prosecutors for the Aetherstrike ability, and Azyros for that bonus.  The unfortunate thing is that if you do this, you're basically stuck with 3x Arkanaut Company who are footslogging the whole game, 3 units of MSU Skywardens/Endrinriggers, and you have almost no points for leaders.

As a followup question - do allied units count towards the "Leader" minimum in Matched Play? So would that Knight-Azyros count?

edit: I've looked through my GHB2017 and it seems like allied Leaders do count towards the Leader minimum (not allied Battleline units, however). This opens up a few more points...

So with the Aetherstrike Battalion I'm currently looking at this list:

Leader:

Knight-Venator

Knight-Azyros

Aether Khemist (general)

Units:

10 Arkanaut Company x3

3 Skywardens x2

3 Endrinriggers

9 Javelin Prosecutors

3 Javelin Prosecutors x2

Warmachines:

Grundstok Gunhailer

Battalion:

Aetherstrike Force

60 Points leftover; I'm not sure what to do with them. With this many non-KO units, I feel like the usefulness of the Skyports is severely limited...  Maybe this isn't going to pan out

Yeah looks like a challenge. I'd probably sacrifice the Azyros for another unit of Kharadron. Maybe bump one unit of company to 20 for the extra skyhooks.

The initial intention with my prosecutors was to use them as a sniping unit with the javelin but the 18" range means they typically get countered if you try to hold back without a screen. So I'm going to try out out Hammers as they have a 3D6 charge so could hopefully get into the back lines and softer heros.

Really though it depends on you Skyport, Barak-Zon gives re-roll 1 to wound on a charge, so maybe throw the riggers and wardens in and hold 3 javelin units for shooting?  You also have 'leave no duardin behind' giving you a battleshock buffer for the company, could be fun.

3 hours ago, stato said:

Yeah looks like a challenge. I'd probably sacrifice the Azyros for another unit of Kharadron. Maybe bump one unit of company to 20 for the extra skyhooks.

The initial intention with my prosecutors was to use them as a sniping unit with the javelin but the 18" range means they typically get countered if you try to hold back without a screen. So I'm going to try out out Hammers as they have a 3D6 charge so could hopefully get into the back lines and softer heros.

Really though it depends on you Skyport, Barak-Zon gives re-roll 1 to wound on a charge, so maybe throw the riggers and wardens in and hold 3 javelin units for shooting?  You also have 'leave no duardin behind' giving you a battleshock buffer for the company, could be fun.

Ya. I think I might just throw 3 more Endrinriggers instead of the Azyros and call it a day (1980 points total).   

My idea was similar to yours.  Use Skyriggers + Gunhauler as close range threats to tie up the enemy. Have Arkanaut company as a buffer, and put Javelins in the back for massive damage.

Having done this theorycrafting and worked through this with you, I'm not sure I want to actually pull the trigger on the Prosecutors and the Knight-Venator! Pure KO might just be better.

Hey friends, the KO bug caught me good about a month ago and I've found time to start painting now.

Got a question just for interest of opinions.

In listening to an old Facehammer, Russ talks about the KO models being so detailed that you can't really half-ass them and get away with it. I knew this coming in, but I still think I can do a partially "concept" army to get away from having to be uber detailed with a different colour for every strap etc. How have you all found painting this army, and have you been happy with how it's turned out in the end?

Also just want to give a shoutout that I love assembling these models so far. They seem much easier than a lot of new kits. Maybe because they're so small. 

1 hour ago, polarbear said:

Hey friends, the KO bug caught me good about a month ago and I've found time to start painting now.

In listening to an old Facehammer, Russ talks about the KO models being so detailed that you can't really half-ass them and get away with it. I knew this coming in, but I still think I can do a partially "concept" army to get away from having to be uber detailed with a different colour for every strap etc. How have you all found painting this army, and have you been happy with how it's turned out in the end?

Also just want to give a shoutout that I love assembling these models so far. They seem much easier than a lot of new kits. Maybe because they're so small. 

Well you'll see a lot of folks who gave it a 'ghost army' paint scheme which ignores many of the smaller bits and bobs.  Mostly base coats and a few layers of wash/drybrushing can get 90% of it done.

On 9/28/2017 at 6:41 AM, polarbear said:

I did mine with blue and bronze as base colors for the cloth and metal bits respectively. Then I painted the major straps and cloth pieces to break up the blue some, but didn't get too fiddly with the details. For the metal parts, I didn't do the 8 different colors of metallics that the GW art often shows. for the most part I've stuck with the bronze and just used a wash to show differentiate the details, unless there are big pieces of metal like on the ships the balloons of the Skywardens. I was able to assembly line then at a decent rate without getting bogged down in the details and still look pretty good(in my opinion at least).

17 hours ago, Roostmanuva said:

Probably been asked,but I'm at work and don't have time to check sorry!

How does a small 1k force play without ships or maybe just the smallest one?

The ships seem to be a points sink. The real value/firepower/hammer is from Arkanaut Companies and bubble-boys. So at 1k with a couple battleline squads and 6 or so bubbleboys you should be great.

hi guys, sry 4 my eng, but need advice, i only start collecting KO and want 1000 roster.

now i have mini on this roster

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Prospector 
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)

6 x Endrinriggers (240)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 980 / 1000
i think about wargear  Endrinriggers  grapnel and saw or range damage:

- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 3x Drill Cannons

or 

3x Grapnel Launchers

maybe mix big squad  Endrinriggers  Volley Guns  and Drill Cannons, small  2x Grapnel Launchers

what do u think ? thx a lot )

1 hour ago, azmar said:

hi guys, sry 4 my eng, but need advice, i only start collecting KO and want 1000 roster.

Spoiler

now i have mini on this roster

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Prospector 
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 

Battleline

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)

6 x Endrinriggers (240)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 980 / 1000
i think about wargear  Endrinriggers  grapnel and saw or range damage:

- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 3x Drill Cannons

or 

3x Grapnel Launchers

maybe mix big squad  Endrinriggers  Volley Guns  and Drill Cannons, small  2x Grapnel Launchers

what do u think ? thx a lot )

Looks link a good starter.

For me Endrinriggers are about the combat potential, so i dont bother with the special guns, just a few grapnels to give them some tricks. 

I also like bigger units of Company, kitted with the obligatory Skyhooks.  So i would change the unit of 6 riggers to 3, and use to points to increase 1 unit of Company to 20 (for 6 skyhooks), it also makes them a high priority target but actually quite survivable as you need to kill 14 models before you start taking of the skyhooks. This leaves your unit of 9 Endriggers a little less shot-up.

Its personal choice though and your original list and my changes both give good lists, so it depends how you like to play.

So I've been trying to test out different options based on what I have.

I went heavier into the ships because, frankly, I got a great deal on them and I really like them.

I'm trying to see what kind of semi-competitive list I can come up with that includes 2 Ironclads (also have a Frigate.  Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.  My list of dudes are as follows:

Admiral
2x Khemists
2xNavigators
3 units of Company (each with 3 of each special weapon type)
3x Endrinriggers
10xThunderers
2x Ironclads
Frigrate

Just my opinion but I'd drop the navigators and maybe one khemist.  Reason being navigators are kind of meh to me, and I'm not sure you'd make full use of 2 khemists given your battle line options.  

I would suggest adding 3-6 more riggers and an admiral.  Or 3 riggers and an admiral.  

Ok, so with the news GW is policing paint schemes / vs rules in the GT Final and various discussions elsewhere about those 'rules' its given me the nudge to consider a custom skyport moving forward, so i can build up my backstory and also not have to worry about being policed or having to maybe change what i run for different events (as it affects my army build).  

So, im wondering what are your favourite Artycle, Amendment and Footnotes and why, and how does it combine with how you play your Kharadrons

[lets keep any painting/rules discussions out this thread please, more than enough topics available to discuss if you want to go down that rabbit hole :D]

So my first attempt has been (rough summary, check for book for exact rule);

• Master the Skies (re-roll against flying units)
  • Prosecute with haste (run and shoot turn 1)
  • No risk without reward (re-roll 1 charge)
  • General with Prospector (immune to battleshock trick)

Im quite reckless tactically so I think this pick suits me.  I run a frigate, 3 company (1 30man), 6 wardens, 9 riggers, an Azyros and 6 Prosecutors for variety.

The run and shoot is to get more Kharadron guns onto the enemy first turn with improved luck due to the Azyros re-roll , and re-roll charge used when I want that critical charge with the riggers.  Master the skies I picked in hope of being able to get more punch on the enemy mobility, but its probably the trait id be most open to switching out.

So what are your pick of the traits? and how have they helped you in games? 

Cheers, Rich.

On 10/7/2017 at 8:33 AM, Lecfast said:

So with this week's preview i was shocked, they were actually serious about trying to require specific painting for the ports. I'm glad that's done with now.

But they aren't.  They said you can make a custom scheme and use the official ones.  You just can't do an official scheme and use another official schemed faction.  So no Mhorar schemes running Zilfin.  But you can do a random scheme and use any skyport.

2 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

But they aren't.  They said you can make a custom scheme and use the official ones.  You just can't do an official scheme and use another official schemed faction.  So no Mhorar schemes running Zilfin.  But you can do a random scheme and use any skyport.

What if your theme and fluff dictates that your guys infiltrate other sky ports to acquire information by wearing other skyports colours? i.e. they may be Mhornar but they are wearing zilfin because they are heading to zilfin to ****** over some shonky merchants and it's easier to infiltrate said city looking like the locals? This is in line with GW's focus on forging your narrative so how could they police it otherwise if you are doing what they profess to be THE thing?

Frankly, they're full of bs and GW isn't the only group of tournaments out there,

1 minute ago, Auretious Taak said:

What if your theme and fluff dictates that your guys infiltrate other sky ports to acquire information by wearing other skyports colours? i.e. they may be Mhornar but they are wearing zilfin because they are heading to zilfin to ****** over some shonky merchants and it's easier to infiltrate said city looking like the locals? This is in line with GW's focus on forging your narrative so how could they police it otherwise if you are doing what they profess to be THE thing?

Frankly, they're full of bs and GW isn't the only group of tournaments out there,

well yeah but its not just in their tournament rules, its in the FAQ now isnt it? (that you can use a custom paint scheme as another port but cant "masquerade" one official skyport/chamber/whatever paintjob as another official skyport/chamber/whatever.). so i mean i dont know if i could hope dor no GW tournaments to letme use 3 damage on drill cannons and that change is at the same level of rules. 

think its dumb too tho, somewhat glad theres finally guidance on what is expected tho, i guess.  

'Hobby' shouldn't interfere with 'Rules'. It's such a stupid approach which only causes a rift in the player base and makes more people turn towards the many, many other systems and companies out there these days. GW made matched play a distinct thing to allow people to play fluff bunny softcore casual and also allow people to play hardcore stomp your opponents into the mud competitive yet here they are muddying the waters for no apparent reason other then someone decided to ****** with a system that welcomes all players regardless of their approach.

At the same point, what qualifies as "official" paint schemes? Does painting the leather a different color change it enough, or would you have to change armor color? How far does someone need to change shades on the model before it is no longer a specific skyport? It's just bad rules.

I'm glad I painted mine orange, silver, and white.

On 10/4/2017 at 3:12 PM, IronMaster said:

So I've been trying to test out different options based on what I have.

I went heavier into the ships because, frankly, I got a great deal on them and I really like them.

I'm trying to see what kind of semi-competitive list I can come up with that includes 2 Ironclads (also have a Frigate.  Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.  My list of dudes are as follows:

Admiral
2x Khemists
2xNavigators
3 units of Company (each with 3 of each special weapon type)
3x Endrinriggers
10xThunderers
2x Ironclads
Frigrate

Double ship list would work pretty well like this i think:

2 khemist

3 x 10 arks

6 riggers - 2 grapnels

6 wardens

2 ironclads - 1 with endrins

Archived