Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

19 hours ago, Dez said:

It is your hobby, you've paid for the models and you can do as you will...except you can't demand people's perceptions.

I constantly (nicely) chide players that play Blue White Scars, White Scars with Blood Angels Markings, Grey Knights as White Scars...you get the drift. While nobody will outright ban you from playing I'm sure, people will roll their eyes (even if just mentally). I personally don't even have an issue with it either. You will be judged though :)

Judge away. As you said I payed for the models and paints. I took the time to build and paint them and read the rules and enter said establishment to play a game with said models. As a community, no one should be judged because he likes gold and silver armor over black and grey, but prefers a different set of rules to what the gold and silver armored "lore" provides. It's not like I'm going to go into a game and "switch" my port on the spot without my opponents knowledge. I'll have pre chosen a port, built a list around its strengths and brig that regardless of whom I face. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

copied from the warscroll

Disembark: Any unit that begins its hero phase embarked within an Arkanaut Frigate can disembark during the hero phase. When a unit disembarks, set it up so that all its models are within 3" of the vessel and none are within 3" of any enemy models – any disembarking model that cannot be set up in this way is slain. Units that disembark can then act normally, including using abilities that can be used in the hero phase, for the remainder of their turn. Note that a unit cannot both disembark and embark in the same turn

it doesn't say anything about not disembarking in combat, so you could still do it as long as the base is literally not surrounded. even then you could retreat and run, missing at least one turn before you get your guys out.

So what im saying is any two units that get you in combat can lock you into your vessel. 

Gore gruntas, stormcast, slave warp grinder batralion, nagash summoning harbingers, and skyfires all can lock you in your car on turn one.

2 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

So what im saying is any two units that get you in combat can lock you into your vessel. 

Gore gruntas, stormcast, slave warp grinder batralion, nagash summoning harbingers, and skyfires all can lock you in your car on turn one.

This is true but smart deployment, movement and target priority can make this a moot point. Plus it's still going to be hard to pull off, I tried this all the time in 40k and it rarely worked as planned.

Not to reference 40k once again, but I want to represent the Kult of Speed with my KO. I'm thinking Iron Sky Squadron, and I'm going to try and get 4 Frigates and 4 units of Arkanauts with Endrinriggers on each one. Rereading all the Baraks, I see the best way to do this and gain benefit of deployment is via Barak-Zilfin. I'm also going to deviate from the paint scheme a bit, even though I like it :) I'm thinking deeper blues (purple) and more yellow/gold.

I played a Hinterlands game with them last night...vs a Skyfire Warband (BLEH). I think the key will be deploying into cover, and giving your opponent other things to worry about. Placing your Arkanauts in key position and then using your boat as a blocker/threat will be the overall strategy.

So the Balloon dudes don't add to capacity, right? What's to keep you from starting an Ironclad on the table with two units of Arkanaughts on it and then 7 units of Endringers? Other than the problems of trying to disembark all at once, of course.

Just now, Requizen said:

So the Balloon dudes don't add to capacity, right? What's to keep you from starting an Ironclad on the table with two units of Arkanaughts on it and then 7 units of Endringers? Other than the problems of trying to disembark all at once, of course.

Nothing :) That's what I'm trying to build my list around: Least drops, most firepower, greatest movement flexibility.

8 minutes ago, Dez said:

I played a Hinterlands game with them last night...vs a Skyfire Warband (BLEH). I think the key will be deploying into cover, and giving your opponent other things to worry about. Placing your Arkanauts in key position and then using your boat as a blocker/threat will be the overall strategy.

Yeah I'm guessing Thunderers will be the prime threat.  How did you fare against those nasty skyfires?

It is a small scale game, so 3 of those and a Mage vs 6 Arkanauts isn't really a great match up. Of course once my Skyhooks can hit....

I'm sure once it's a normal scale fight, the Skyfires will be dead a lot.

@Dez and @Requizen yeah thats also what I've been trying to figure out. 

I was thinking if you did the I do clad list. Maybe you'd bring a hauler or two so they can soak up damage and give you another save against wound and mortal wounds. This way you can really take advantage of the rigger heals.

19 hours ago, 8bit_Jesus said:

I'm pretty sure it was cleared up in the FAQ, the stormcast are technically Kharadron Overlord allegiance but they have none of the Overlord keywords, so can't take any of the artefacts (unless specifically mentioned)

This is from the FAQ:

8d87e540c76d3a2d20b849da5456ac50.png

In the Kharadron Overlords book in the artifact tables it says "A Kharadron Overlords Hero can take". So 'Hero' is the only keyword and 'Kharadron Overlords' is referring to allegiance? So that means the Venator doesn't need the Kharadron Overlords keyword, just the Hero keyword and Kharadron Overlords allegiance?

4 minutes ago, BigMattJones said:

This is from the FAQ:

8d87e540c76d3a2d20b849da5456ac50.png

In the Kharadron Overlords book in the artifact tables it says "A Kharadron Overlords Hero can take". So 'Hero' is the only keyword and 'Kharadron Overlords' is referring to allegiance? So that means the Venator doesn't need the Kharadron Overlords keyword, just the Hero keyword and Kharadron Overlords allegiance?

This is one of those sounds too good to be true issues and may be a small typo?

3 hours ago, BowserDelta said:

Are you talking about how it says you CAN paint your minis to arrange them to one of the 6 major ports? Big word being can? I'll paint mine however I want, and use whichever port I want, and no one... not even a TO is gonna say otherwise. I guarantee is 

Dude, so easy to troll. That was sarcasm.

1 hour ago, Mikester1487 said:

This is one of those sounds too good to be true issues and may be a small typo?

I would say that it is not clear and if you take it to an event, don't be surprised if the TO says "no."

Regarding lists, I've refined my competitive list again.  Here is what I'm going to be initially building towards:

Ziflin Allegiance 2k

• 40 Company (12 light skyhooks) (480)
  • Khemist (100)
  • Khemist (100)
  • 10 Company (3 light skyhooks) (120)
  • Admiral (general, prospector) (120)
  • Frigate (aetherspheric endrins, off table deployment) (280)
    • Khemist (battleshock weapon) (100)
    • 10 Thunderers( aethercanons) (200)
Ziflin allegiance for the reroll 1s to hit and wound vs fliers, and the aetherspheric endrins to allow the Frigate to deploy off table and drop down outside 9" (but fully within range fo the Thunderers' Aethercannons onboard). The default troops are generating 51 light skyhook attacks (24" range, 4+ [3+ vs Monsters and Heros]/3+/-2/d3, reroll hits and wounds vs. fliers).  Both blocks are battleshock immune from the character trait Prospector (for first turn, before the general acts, choose a hill and make sure at least one model from each unit is on it) and a bubble projected by the general for latter turns.  Position your buffers near the back of the board and snake some tails back to them from the main units.  So those 90 troops can slowly march up the board (all battleshock immune) and put pressure on the enemy and the Frigate bomb and drop when appropriate (or really agressively take back an objective).  The main two units can lose 28 bodies before they suffer in their shooting effectiveness and the units are battleshock immune. 

15 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I would say that it is not clear and if you take it to an event, don't be surprised if the TO says "no."

Regarding lists, I've refined my competitive list again.  Here is what I'm going to be initially building towards:

Ziflin Allegiance 2k

• Khemist (100)
  • Khemist (100)
  • 10 Company (3 light skyhooks) (120)
  • Admiral (general, prospector) (120)
  • Frigate (aetherspheric endrins, off table deployment) (280)
    • Khemist (battleshock weapon) (100)
    • 10 Thunderers( aethercanons) (200)
Ziflin allegiance for the reroll 1s to hit and wound vs fliers, and the aetherspheric endrins to allow the Frigate to deploy off table and drop down outside 9" (but fully within range fo the Thunderers' Aethercannons onboard). The default troops are generating 51 light skyhook attacks (24" range, 4+ [3+ vs Monsters and Heros]/3+/-2/d3, reroll hits and wounds vs. fliers).  Both blocks are battleshock immune from the character trait Prospector (for first turn, before the general acts, choose a hill and make sure at least one model from each unit is on it) and a bubble projected by the general for latter turns.  Position your buffers near the back of the board and snake some tails back to them from the main units.  So those 90 troops can slowly march up the board (all battleshock immune) and put pressure on the enemy and the Frigate bomb and drop when appropriate (or really agressively take back an objective).  The main two units can lose 28 bodies before they suffer in their shooting effectiveness and the units are battleshock immune. 

THis seems like a good balanced list.

I doubt more than 2 vessels will be very effective. They are mainly support so they should have plenty in the list to support. Maybe an ironcladand a frigate in 2K points.. but not more.

Anyway about your list...  killing the Khemists drops damage output significantly... even thought they could loose 28 other bodies...

Archived