Helping young kids learn to paint

Ratamaplata

Me and my 6 yr old have a painting day planned on Friday. It'll be his first time painting (we have to get rid of his 2 yr old brother for the day otherwise he'll constantly interfere!) and he's super excited.

I've painted one of his elves (he picked colour scheme) with light glazes to help him first go... so it'll be like a paint by numbers type thing. (I did put a wash all over it, just to get a better idea of how the finished paint scheme will look).

20170417_001249.jpg.5833f7395b88dfb1bb4a2092f91db825.jpg

20170417_001256.jpg.ac59612041267ee85228ce3007398c3f.jpg

My plan is to get him to do base colours and washes, maybe some highlighting... possibly just through drybrushing, depending on his brush control.

Any other tips?

He probably won't be able to do highlighting without messing up the model, might frustrate him. Drybrushing on the hair should be ok though, it doesn't require a steady hand. Focus on getting the base colours done neatly, as as best he can.

And remember, two thin coats.

Hi, been painting with my boys for a year now. The main thing is don't set expectations too high, and let them be creative. Neat painting is very difficult, but they can do something they are proud of. The best figures have been the stormcast liberators, cover the things in gold paint, and they still look good. They've been revisiting them a few months later and tidying them up.
Also not give them your best brush, mine have been put through the mill!!
Hope you have a great session [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, that Elf is ambitious for a 6 year old.

Starter set Stormcast are definitely a good option, those flat surfaces with detail that comes out with a wash is a definite confidence booster. My advice, pick up a starter paint set, and a pack of £10 Stormcast.

I don't care if he messes stuff up so the elves will do. He didn't like Stormcast or Sylvaneth... I'd rather he paints something he likes that's tricky than something easy to get good results.

He's a pretty bright kid and listens/learns well, especially if he's interested and enthusiastic :)

I have been painting with my son (8) for the past few months. It is really satisfying painting together - our local gw is really good with kids and provides loads of help. It can be worth painting there.

I got him a set of 12 cheap brushes and showed him how to take the paint from the lid, he still resists the palette but has a good eye and we have introduced several friends.

We started with base and washes followed by simple detail. 

I find he does not have the stamina to finish a unit but loves painting heroes and monsters. This is his bastiladon

IMG_1420.JPG

Thanks, he was, as was our local GW shop manager who was amazed. I am really proud of him for it and I was impressed with the head dress. 

He still has a bit to go on it such as the skinks and I want to show him how to highlight it some more - but there is always scope to come back and do more.

We also then played a few games where it promptly killed 25 of my blood reavers blood reavers in a single turn and battered someone else's shaven army.

The best bit of painting with the kids is then them getting to play with the units they have created ?

Well it's been a successful day. About 3 hours spent painting I think and he got these done...

20170421_155632.jpg.fc405754e28647ed3d913385b808ee15.jpg

20170421_155653.jpg.0b861da9c73cdd7c642437fdce914631.jpg

Just base colours, a wash and then a slight drybrush on the green. I gave him tips at a few points but basically left him to get on with it. He is chuffed with the outcome.

This is our total work today...

20170421_155611.jpg.1edf128d1648dd55ec354a5001942d62.jpg

Not long until we'll each have a unit painted :)

To be 6 years thats much better that my first miniature painted with aprox the same age. That poor old human archer, at the end he was a giant blob of paint.  The most important thing is not the how it ended, but the fact that he had a nice time painting it! 

Those figures look great, and sounds like he enjoyed it too, the most important thing! I'm working with my 9yr old on some Saurus knights. He's really getting into it, having a session before AND after school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived