Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

2 minutes ago, Graftonianman said:

This is my ideal list atm. Haven’t played with it yet (lack the figs), only something similar. 

Nomad prince, spellweaver, 4xWaywatcher

2x30WildwoodRangers,  3x10EG, sisters of the thorn, 

One of the rangers get both magic buffs, the other is there as backup for when the first dies. Eternal Guard park on objectives. The list I played before had one ranger unit and it fell apart as soon as the rangers died. That combat block is very important. 

It's a very different list that mine obviously. Being able to teleport such large units of rangers certainly means you can threaten everything in his army that is vulnerable. 

I'll not be able to play this since I lack a lot of the models (as you might have seen I like shooty and I just got 10 rangers to be proxied as executioners - yes their first play will be as proxies... sad I know - and so I lack quite a lot of them and don't even have anything similar to proxy them - I proxied them before with my EG.. but those would be needed in this list too and I only have 30 of them anyway.) 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Wait.. the whole reason I've not used EG as battleline in the first place is because they aren't mixed order battleline... if they where I'd take 2 units of them in less than a heartbeat and be content :D (there wouldn't be any settling as I said.. it'd be a party).

why don t you consider Highborn spearmen then?? same cost as EG, same profile, better resistance (as they re-roll 1s and 2s against shooting and not only 1s), they also get bonuses if they don t move but not as many (you sort of want them to move at some point and with the HS you won't miss on a massive bonus) and last but surely not least THEY ARE ORDER BATTLELINE!!!

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

It's a very different list that mine obviously. Being able to teleport such large units of rangers certainly means you can threaten everything in his army that is vulnerable. 

I'll not be able to play this since I lack a lot of the models (as you might have seen I like shooty and I just got 10 rangers to be proxied as executioners - yes their first play will be as proxies... sad I know - and so I lack quite a lot of them and don't even have anything similar to proxy them - I proxied them before with my EG.. but those would be needed in this list too and I only have 30 of them anyway.) 

Would you even teleport them though? I mean is true they are 30 but they have to stay 9" away and a charge is very unlikely to happen. I sure see one teleport to ring them closer but not too much considering you  could then risk a double turn and loose them anyway. Am I missing something? the list looks really scary, considering that normally GG shoot once well and then they can die, your waywatchers  heroes are the bulk of the range dmg this means that you can definitely consider, as you did, to leave the GG out and only bring the WW. I wonder how you play the list then; do you just advance and face the danger? 

The teleport is a funniky thing. I use it as a tool to setup on a corner, and in case I don’t get the first turn, avoid danger until I cast spells. I can’t always teleport to a good spot, however. Mostly I use it to run away from combats. The first unit of rangers run away when they are almost dead, then the characters teleport behind the second rangers. 

Rangers with shield of thorns and mystic shield are quite a good unit. Def worth the points. They can take out a great unclean one without blinking.

Im a little iffy on GG. Units of 30 work well, but are very expensive. 20 is ok. 10 is pointless. 

14 hours ago, Graftonianman said:

The teleport is a funniky thing. I use it as a tool to setup on a corner, and in case I don’t get the first turn, avoid danger until I cast spells. I can’t always teleport to a good spot, however. Mostly I use it to run away from combats. The first unit of rangers run away when they are almost dead, then the characters teleport behind the second rangers. 

Rangers with shield of thorns and mystic shield are quite a good unit. Def worth the points. They can take out a great unclean one without blinking.

Im a little iffy on GG. Units of 30 work well, but are very expensive. 20 is ok. 10 is pointless. 

Ehm... there are no Rangers with shield of thorns and mystic shield though... that means you have Rangers, Sisters of the thorn and at least another mage... which means their points have just had an increase of 300 points.. about 700 points should be able to kill an unclean one :D

Anyway I'm still interested which of the lists

Hurricanum + mage      380

Nomad Prince                  80

4x waywatcher (lord)   400

2 x 20 GG                            480

1 x 5 reavers                      160

2 x 5 waywatchers         160

1 x 10 Executioners       180

2 x 5 wardancers              160

Options I'm seeing:

1. Sadly I cannot make a 1-1 trade between the 10 wardancers and10  exectioners.. but I could change 5 reavers and 10 wardancers for 10 executioners and 10 GG. The army now has a decent close combat kick but lacks speed.

2. Delete nomad prince or a waywatcher and the 10 wardancers for an annointed on Phoenix. The army looses some in shooting but gains something speedy, still had combat (probably a bit better than the 10 wardancers) and another awesome model. (if someone likes this best.. which hero would you delete.

Or

3.I just keep that list as it was.. which has some  speed in the reavers and wardancers and some additional melee with the wardancers (and this is more woodaelvy which is always good.

you (and others here) would take. I'm leaning towards option 2 myself (low model count helps with the hammerhal ability a bit) but not sure which hero to delete and which loadout I'd give the general that remains.

@Aezeal

id take this one as is

Hurricanum + mage      380

Nomad Prince                  80

4x waywatcher (lord)   400

1 x 5 reavers                      160

1 x 10 Executioners       180

2 x 5 wardancers              160

and yes, I have another wizard for both spells, but they’re defensive spells. Rangers by themselves have output a lot; it’s easy to get all models to attack with the 2”range and their attack is good. My group knows to target them early.

Agree on the list, you'll have to face some CC eventually and executioners and Wardancers are great shields for your shooters.

Then 20 Executioners are scary but easily killed buy average shooting and 10 just do the trick on their own (21A with an average of 6-8 MW when at full strength+the Hurricanum they will be enough to annihilate anything). I have to say I don really like the Reavers but I understand why you would take them, so keep them. 

one Waywatcher is definitely tradable for something else (seeing you have 4 and 2x20 GG) but giving away ALSO a Nomad prince and 10 Wardancers to put a Phoenix without mages  to buff it up I personally consider it a waste (a Phoenix is a model you have to build an entire army around and you don t seem to have it).

All considered, I am for point number 3: keep it as it is. Give it a go anyway and if not you tweak here and there where the list does not perform well.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeast said:

one Waywatcher is definitely tradable for something else (seeing you have 4 and 2x20 GG) but giving away ALSO a Nomad prince and 10 Wardancers to put a Phoenix without mages  to buff it up I personally consider it a waste (a Phoenix is a model you have to build an entire army around and you don t seem to have it).

It would be one of the hero's not both, if I deleted a waywatcher and 10 wardancers I have enough points for a phoenix and I could keep the nomad prince.

I have a mage: the hurricanum.

I was favoring option 2 with the phoenix myself since it has a good damage output in melee (not quite as much as the wardancers I guess) and a MUCH better save (with the 5+ which can be increased and the 4++ wardsave vs 6+/6+ . And he still has 12 wounds which is nearly as much as 10 wardancers and a 5 wound character have. And it's speedy of course. (and I'll admit I'd not mind using my carmine (painted green) dragon as a proxy for it :D The -1 to wound aura in the front lines of an army seems nice too,

Having said that: I'll wait for more replies  and use option 3 unless more favor other options: no point in asking advice and then ignoring it :D. And I DO like the idea of fielding old school waywatchers and wardancers for a wood elf army :D. I have several of the hero's in more exotic poses and it will be nice to proxy them as regular  guys and looking awesome. 

I wonder what my opponents will target first: the hurricanum or the executioners? 

2 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

One Waywatcher is definitely tradable for something else (seeing you have 4 and 2x20 GG) but giving away ALSO a Nomad prince and 10 Wardancers to put a Phoenix without mages  to buff it up I personally consider it a waste (a Phoenix is a model you have to build an entire army around and you don t seem to have it).

I'd actually disagree with the statement that a Frost Phoenix needs to be built around. I'd argue that at its price point, its an incredibly efficient model in a vacuum, even without buffing it at all or considering the buffs it brings to your army. The durability is off the charts: the 4++ ward save is essentially identical to doubling the wounds, so then you have 24 wounds with a 5+ save and -1 to wound in combat, which on a durability/cost ratio beats everything in the Wanderers faction other than Eternal Guard. Then look at the damage output. Before he's wounded he has approximately the same output in combat as 10 Wildwood Rangers, but the mobility transforms that into a much greater threat for your opponent to deal with. When you also consider that he fills a critical hole in a Wanderers army (no tanky heroes or behemoths for Duality), I find it difficult not to add him every list. 

@BillyOcean and @Aezeal

I run Wanderer-themed Mixed Order for tournaments and have done very well so far. Wanderers on their own are very "one-trick" and pretty bad in general. They lack the ability to take objectives and hold them well, they lack mortal wound output, and they are squishy as hell. By going Mixed Order and taking a variety of units, those weaknesses are eliminated at the cost of your one-trick playstyle that the Wanderer abilities support. Not missing much. 

My staple for hero selection is Hurricanum, Frostheart, Loremaster, Battlemage (lore of life), and 2x Waywatchers. The Hurricanum provides massive MW output while significantly increasing the damage of the rest of the army in general. It also gives the battlemage +1 to cast, helping make the Frostheart tankier. The Frostheart is almost impossible to kill and is used to just tie down as much of the enemy as possible. The Loremaster makes the Phoenix terrifying in combat. The Waywatcher's damage scales insanely well near a Hurricanum. By picking these 6 heroes I am not building around any single one of them, they just all synergize with each other really well. 

I tried Skinks and they won me two games singlehandedly in a tournament, so I always take 2x units of 10 now. They are awesome. Their speed and ability to retreat in combat makes them insanely good at getting objectives. 

I've been taking Kurnoth Hunters with Bows, but they're not my favorite. They fill a mixed roll. I need tough bodies as a frontline, and Kurnoths are amazing at that. I also need something with 30+" threat so I can still threaten something when I'm given the first turn. Next to a Hurricanum, Kurnoths hit often enough to snipe characters in a turn or two. I prefer boltthrowers and whatnot for pure damage, but they are just another thing to protect. Kurnoths are a wall. 

Anyways, you can absolutely be competitive with a Wanderer themed army, as long as it's actually Mixed Order with conversions! :)

Ow...and there are 2 votes for the Phoenix.. lol..

Yeah Phoenix + lore master is a nice idea and considering I already have a lot of shooting it might be nice.. it would mean loosing 2 heroes instead of 1 though. The main thing in favor of this is that I'd gotten a loremaster a week before GHB2 came out which I intended to use with a gnarlroot wargrove... and since GHB2 I've not played gnarlroot so I've got this mini sitting here (and I've painted it to the top of my skill in wood elf colors :D). The phoenix would probably also has a significant chance of drawing attention from the executioners and the hurricanum  so they won't get killed. I'm not sure I'd like to sacrifice another waywatcher for the life mage though. Even after the phoenix dies the loremaster will still have a target to cast the spell on: the waywatcher or a nomad prince are not terrible targets for his spell.

I know skinks would be a better option than reavers for batteline but I think I'll get some frowns at this mixed order army (people like fluffy armies) already with these proxies I'll be using (while keeping the models near full WE themed) and I just wouldn't know what I could use to proxy skinks :D. 

Still open to more suggestions... as it is I think I'm taking a phoenix and trade it for a waywatcher... not sure about the loremaster yet... I'm not sure if I'd trade him for the nomad prince or a waywatcher. I'm thinking about keeping the nomad prince for now and sacrificing a 2nd waywatcher for the loremaster (this does significantly reduce my shooting damage output though). Then I'd keep the prince as the general and give him Legendary fighter and give the Phoenix the relic blade. 

It hardly has any shooting at all in comparison to my previous wanderer army but I guess it'll have to do.

So that would be:

Hammerhalls Inter-Realm Elite Expeditionary Force,  1st (and only) Company: The Seeking Arrows

Allegiance: Hammerhall and Order

Hurricanum + mage      380                                              --> Wardroth with contraption on the back and a spellweaver next to it.

Nomad Prince                     80 (Legendary fighter) 

2x waywatcher (lord)   200                                            

Loremaster                        100                                     

Forstheart Phoenix       240  (Relic blade)             --> Carmine Dragon in Forest Dragon colors

1 x 5 reavers                      160                                            --> Glade riders

1 x 10 Executioners       180                                            --> Wild Wood Rangers

1 x Hunting Hound           20                                            --> Old beastmaster wild cat

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I have a mage: the hurricanum.

I know I was just thinking that with the Hurricanum maybe what you wanna do is not exactly casting a shield on the Phoenix considering it is your only MW output from afar. But of course you can. OK guys you convinced me Phoenix is good on its own :P.

34 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Still open to more suggestions... as it is I think I'm taking a phoenix and trade it for a waywatcher... not sure about the loremaster yet... I'm not sure if I'd trade him for the nomad prince or a waywatcher. I'm thinking about keeping the nomad prince for now and sacrificing a 2nd waywatcher for the loremaster (this does significantly reduce my shooting damage output though). Then I'd keep the prince as the general and give him Legendary fighter and give the Phoenix the relic blade

To be honest when you have 2 WW  in range of the nomad prince AND the Hurricanum and you have them in range so they don t have to move, you don t need more than 2! you'll have two 6 A 1+(re-rolling 1s, and fast shot on 4+) 3+ -1 1 machine guns. Correct me if I am wrong but the math does not go far away from 12-15 wounds (to be saved at -1) coming out form TWO!!!! 100 p.ts models.

I have always included at least 2 WW in my lists and they have always been the bulk of my shooting despite the fact I have some GG with me and every game they have outperformed any unit (friend or foe).

@Aezeal  The main reason for the Lor of Life Mage is that she has +1 to cast, so is reliable to make Frostfire's armor better, and the Hurricanum and Frostfire need the healing. They will survive damage. Often a Waywatcher or Prince will die in a round before you have a chance to heal. Additionally, the Hurricanum and Phoenix get weaker as they take damage. Healing them returns their abilities and movement to full strength, meaning you are getting more value from the healing. 

5 hours ago, Tidings said:

@Aezeal  The main reason for the Lor of Life Mage is that she has +1 to cast, so is reliable to make Frostfire's armor better, and the Hurricanum and Frostfire need the healing. They will survive damage. Often a Waywatcher or Prince will die in a round before you have a chance to heal. Additionally, the Hurricanum and Phoenix get weaker as they take damage. Healing them returns their abilities and movement to full strength, meaning you are getting more value from the healing. 

True, though seeing he relies a lot on shooting taking away  the Nomad Prince could be a downside.

Hey btw anybody tried out the Malign Portent traits and artifacts (or rules anyway) and the interactions they have with our wandering friends? I am gonna try them in the next few weeks as I ll have a tournament entirely based on the Malign Portent book in March. 

2 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

True, though seeing he relies a lot on shooting taking away  the Nomad Prince could be a downside.

Hey btw anybody tried out the Malign Portent traits and artifact and the interactions they have with our wandering friends? I am gonna try them in the next few weeks as I ll have a tournament entirely based on the Malign Portent book in March. 

It's not easy comparing buffing characters to each other or to damage dealer either for that matter. The thing is that I don't play that many games which is why I try to theory hammer in here a lot... I can't just play 10 games a month and use 6 of them to try stuff. The reroll of the nomad prince allows for another chance at exploding shots of the waywatchers too.  I see the role of the lifemage though since loremaster and hurricanum have above average damage  and buffing spells whjch "need" casting but a mystic shield is incredibly valuable too (on executioners for example).

The life mage, a waywatcher and a nomad prince are just hard to compare since it also depends on what is on the table for the nomad prince and what a life mage could heal or shield.

I don't think I'd sacrifice a 3th waywatcher and keep only 1 (I started with 4) for the life mage so if I'd take him I'd have to go and use the characters Tidings used.

Choices choices

On 2/11/2018 at 11:16 PM, Graftonianman said:

Nomad prince, spellweaver, 4xWaywatcher

How do you set the Nomad Prince? Considering you don t have shooting to buff with the command ability (it can of course be useful for other units in combat) I'd imagine you might wanna build him for combat right? Or still do you build him defensively to try and keep him alive?

Your is an uncommon idea but is very interesting and I might wanna give it a go (of course if my opponent allows me to proxy heavily, I don t have that many WWR and EG xD).

Yeah the issue with the Nomad Prince is he only buffs Wanderers, which is really just the Glade Guard and the Waywatcher heroes. Let's lay out the pros of each. 

Nomad Prince

• Cheap
  • Decent in combat
  • Squeezes out a bit more damage from Arcane Bodkins and Waywatchers.

Battlemage

• Easier to protect using line of sight
  • Also cheap
  • Allows Hurricanum to be general, gaining an extra wound from Tenacious
  • Reliably casts due to the +1 to cast from Hurricanum. 
  • Can be used for mystic shield most of the time, allowing Loremaster and Hurricanum to do their more important spells.
  • If you are on the defensive, the Battlemage allows you to heal your Frostfire or Hurricanum while the Loremaster casts mystic shield. The healing reverts both of these to more effective states (since they will have less wounds taken).
  • In either case, the Phoenix is getting better armor. This synergy is what keeps the Phoenix alive, keeping the enemy off your Hurricanum and archers. 

Loremaster

• Easy to protect, bonuses against shooting
  • Makes the Frostfire devastating in combat. Without a Loremaster, the Frostfire can be tied down and ignored. With a Loremaster, it does too much damage and debuffing to ignore. This forces the Phoenix to be the tank it's meant to be!
  • Can be used defensively to cast Mystic Shield if you are forced to heal with a Battlemage.
  • Grants armor to your main tank, the phoenix. 

Another Waystalker

• Relatively cheap
  • Generally survives, sitting back and has bonuses against shooting.
  • Pretty steady, ranged wound output next to a Hurricanum.

THOUGHTS  - Having 3 wizards really adds versatility to your casting. With only two wizards you are not only making the Phoenix less tanky (which is pretty important), you are also losing at least one valuable spell each turn since you basically have to cast Mystic Shield. The Battlemage has an awesome situational spell which makes him perfect for casting Mystic Shield most of the time, but the heals can be insanely awesome once or twice a game. I've literally stabilized after a bad double turn because of this heal several times (enemy does big burst damage on Phoenix or Hurricanum, leaving it with 1 or 2 wounds and almost 0 effectiveness. Heal bumps it up to a more stable level and higher effectiveness again for a couple more turns.)

The heal is also massively important against armies that do mortal wounds in droves, because your Phoenix will  start losing health faster than you expect. 

Having a Nomad Prince seems like the least effective option to me. Sure rerolling 1s is nice, but you're probably going to get more damage from another Waystalker instead in that case, since you have the Hurricanum synergy. 

Having another Waywatcher is nice as well. The first lists I made after getting a Hurricanum were full of Waystalkers. Their roll is filled adequately with only two, however. The roll they fill is doing precise damage to targets at specific times. Need a few more models killed to force battleshock? Need 2 more wounds off that enemy hero? Your Waywatcher is the man. Having lots is fun but it comes at the expense of what you then need - a real tanky frontline to protect your Waystalkers. So my current lists have ended up pruning the Waystalkers in favor of balancing out the army more. I still have plenty of ranged damage, but now I have the frontline to hold off strong assaults from Stormcast, Khorne, etc. 

2 hours ago, Tidings said:

Yeah the issue with the Nomad Prince is he only buffs Wanderers, which is really just the Glade Guard and the Waywatcher heroes. Let's lay out the pros of each. 

Nomad Prince

• Cheap
  • Decent in combat
  • Squeezes out a bit more damage from Arcane Bodkins and Waywatchers.

Battlemage

• Easier to protect using line of sight
  • Also cheap
  • Allows Hurricanum to be general, gaining an extra wound from Tenacious
  • Reliably casts due to the +1 to cast from Hurricanum. 
  • Can be used for mystic shield most of the time, allowing Loremaster and Hurricanum to do their more important spells.
  • If you are on the defensive, the Battlemage allows you to heal your Frostfire or Hurricanum while the Loremaster casts mystic shield. The healing reverts both of these to more effective states (since they will have less wounds taken).
  • In either case, the Phoenix is getting better armor. This synergy is what keeps the Phoenix alive, keeping the enemy off your Hurricanum and archers. 

Loremaster

• Easy to protect, bonuses against shooting
  • Makes the Frostfire devastating in combat. Without a Loremaster, the Frostfire can be tied down and ignored. With a Loremaster, it does too much damage and debuffing to ignore. This forces the Phoenix to be the tank it's meant to be!
  • Can be used defensively to cast Mystic Shield if you are forced to heal with a Battlemage.
  • Grants armor to your main tank, the phoenix. 

Another Waystalker

• Relatively cheap
  • Generally survives, sitting back and has bonuses against shooting.
  • Pretty steady, ranged wound output next to a Hurricanum.

THOUGHTS  - Having 3 wizards really adds versatility to your casting. With only two wizards you are not only making the Phoenix less tanky (which is pretty important), you are also losing at least one valuable spell each turn since you basically have to cast Mystic Shield. The Battlemage has an awesome situational spell which makes him perfect for casting Mystic Shield most of the time, but the heals can be insanely awesome once or twice a game. I've literally stabilized after a bad double turn because of this heal several times (enemy does big burst damage on Phoenix or Hurricanum, leaving it with 1 or 2 wounds and almost 0 effectiveness. Heal bumps it up to a more stable level and higher effectiveness again for a couple more turns.)

The heal is also massively important against armies that do mortal wounds in droves, because your Phoenix will  start losing health faster than you expect. 

Having a Nomad Prince seems like the least effective option to me. Sure rerolling 1s is nice, but you're probably going to get more damage from another Waystalker instead in that case, since you have the Hurricanum synergy. 

Having another Waywatcher is nice as well. The first lists I made after getting a Hurricanum were full of Waystalkers. Their roll is filled adequately with only two, however. The roll they fill is doing precise damage to targets at specific times. Need a few more models killed to force battleshock? Need 2 more wounds off that enemy hero? Your Waywatcher is the man. Having lots is fun but it comes at the expense of what you then need - a real tanky frontline to protect your Waystalkers. So my current lists have ended up pruning the Waystalkers in favor of balancing out the army more. I still have plenty of ranged damage, but now I have the frontline to hold off strong assaults from Stormcast, Khorne, etc. 

I do think your  overview of the nomad prince and waystalker (It's a waywatcher these day btw) is significantly understating their damage output in this particular list. 

Nomad Prince:

Boosts 40 GG and 2(-3?) waywatchers in shooting, possibly for 5 turns. Most specifically also when they shoot at -3 rend.  That can end up being 40 + 12 + 6 rolls if non are killed ... PER TURN. that is nearly 10 rerolls each turn likely to cause 3-4 wounds.
Reroll 1's for the waywatcher mean not only another chance of a wound but also of another exploding attack.

Waywatcher

His damage output over a game will be siginifcantly higher than any (IF any) damage the other heroes will give (especially in this hurricanum list)... their boosts will have to beat that. 

BUT .. you know.. I'm convinced. I'll try the battlemage (spellweaver as proxy to stay in theme ofc)

Sad news though: my most likely opponent for thursday wants to test a 1250 list for a tournament so doubt I can try this (normally I'd not mind testing for a tournament.. but I've got to work that weekend so can't play in the tournament myself). Might be 2 weeks before I can play again dammit.

Alright! Got a 2 day 2.5k event with traveling distance. Stoked.

Assuming I get a favourable ruling regarding our teleport/unit ability interaction I'll be taking the green elves out for a spin. Never considered a Wanderers list at 2.5k before and  I'm pretty sure i'll take the Waystone Pathfinders Battalion which fits nicely in 2k, leaving 500 to spend on allies. What do you think would help us out the most? Considering double Frostheart pheonix  or even a Celestant Prime? We clearly need some tankability and MW output, suggestions?

8 hours ago, Origin said:

Alright! Got a 2 day 2.5k event with traveling distance. Stoked.

Assuming I get a favourable ruling regarding our teleport/unit ability interaction I'll be taking the green elves out for a spin. Never considered a Wanderers list at 2.5k before and  I'm pretty sure i'll take the Waystone Pathfinders Battalion which fits nicely in 2k, leaving 500 to spend on allies. What do you think would help us out the most? Considering double Frostheart pheonix  or even a Celestant Prime? We clearly need some tankability and MW output, suggestions?

considering you'll be bringing a Battalion you get one extra Artifact and maybe the starcaster bow on somebody could be the start for some MW. A part from that ( don t rememer if they can be taken as ally but I doubt anyway) executioners have good MW output. A treelord (maybe Durthu and maybe if you could even a second treelord) could be nice (and thematic) for MW or Drycha and dryads to be  able to bunker an obj with the wyldwood (can u summon it if he is not your general?). A coulpe of dracoth raiders guys with the celestant may be good MW output,

I think Drycha is probably one of the best options for allies. Caster and can break hordes so arrows can focus other stuff decent survivability too. Might consider her instead of the phoenix in that mixed order list..

I don't think TLA, Drycha, dryads and a 40 point wood will ever fit in allies.. you'd have to play a ... 4K game? If you want all of them play sylvaneth and ally with 4 waywatchers :D

@Aezeal I'm not understating the damage, you're totally right that it is a ton of extra damage over the course of the game! But, it's at the cost of the frontline, and there's such an awesome frontline/utility synergy with the Hurricanum, Frostheart, Battlemage and Loremaster. It's a trade off is all, and I find my lists work better when I have a heavier frontline instead of a more "glass canon" list. I've played both in tournaments, they can both do well. But the option I'm proposing is just so much more flexible, forgiving and generally feels stronger. Hope you get a chance to try it and like it! Just make sure to keep advancing your army with the Phoenix, the synergy falls apart if you overextend it too much. :)

Drycha is an awesome ally. She's fast, terrifying and can do a lot of mortal wounds in the right circumstance. 

Well our Battalion is actually really clumsy at 2500 points. The 4 Battleline requirements shoehorn you into running nothing but GG and EG, which feels very dull. Taking the battalion you really want to maximise on the shooting so it is either 3 units of GG and 1 EG or 2 units of GG, 1 EG and 1 SoW with a small EG unit outside of the battalion to fulfill our battleline. Not sure about Dyrads as I feel they fulfil the same role as EG so maybe Tree-revenants might be a better support for Dyrcha. Couple ot lists below, don't really feel like I have made the best use of the allies allowance.

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
- Artefact: Viridescent Shawl 
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (100)
- Artefact: Starcaster Longbow 
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Glade Guard (360)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
- Wanderers Battleline
10 x Sisters of the Watch (220)
- Wanderers Battleline (Waywatcher General)
10 x Eternal Guard (80)
- Wanderers Battleline

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
5 x Wild Riders (140)

Battalions
Waystone Pathfinders (240)

Scenery
Sylvaneth Wyldwood (40) - Just had 40 points spare, could be a gryph hound instead...

Total: 2500 / 2500

Or....

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
- Artefact: Viridescent Shawl 
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (100)
- Artefact: Starcaster Longbow 
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Allies

Battleline
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
- Wanderers Battleline

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
5 x Wild Riders (140)
20 x Dryads (200)
- Allies

Battalions
Waystone Pathfinders (240)

Total: 2470 / 2500

Might just be better dropping in 4 Fulminators as allies and calling it a day...

I'm not sure I'd go dryads without wyldwoods. EG are good enough for holding the line I'd say, I'd kill some GG for more waywatchers myself (get a small EG unit as battle line). As ally I'd sooner go Kurnoths over dryads.. you can put them anywhere and defend and objective with a unit of EG and block stuff and snipe important models at a larger range. Teleporting GG can snipe too ofc but some stuff might be well screened and 20"isn't that much.. if you have a few ranks in the 6"you might end up @ 15"(happens a lot to me) with the front models which means they could be charged on only slightly above average rolls.. or on below average rolls for fast units.

Sylvaneth Wyldwood (40) - Just had 40 points spare, could be a gryph hound instead...

Go gryph, you have no way to get the wyldwood on the table I think.

Archived