Effective Non-Allegiance armies?

KHHaunts

I have heard a lot of arguments for and against powered up armies for following specific allegiances.

One of the big ones is that if people were allowed to take anything it would allow for some fairly brutal army compositions. The allgiance abilities supposdly address this.

My question to everyone is:

Has anyone found any non allegiance (Whether that be mixed grand alliance or no allegiance at all. e.g. Fyreslayers and blood bound) army combos that can really hold their own against a well rounded allegiance army with all its allegiance power ups?

NOTE: I dont want this to turn into a discussion about whether or not the allegiance rules are right, wrong or whatever.

3 minutes ago, Galas said:

Or Sayl with... you see the trend here :D 

Agreed.  Sayl combos come to mind.  As do mixed destruction Stonehorn lists.  Mixed death lists as well (including all of the TK lists, which are normally mixed). 

So they certainly exist, although it appears they are going the way of the dodo.  It would be nice to see GW doing some more 45 degree design by opening up more options (if only through alternative battleline options for mixed lists through additional requirements).  Anything would help combat the current "mono-faction is king" design approach. 

2 hours ago, Jamopower said:

Wasn't there a shooty order army that was quite a mish mash of everything, that won some large tournament some time ago?

I guess hurricanum makes a difference... :)

Hurricanum, a few units of Kurnoth hunters, some waywatchers and then skink battlelines to just constantly retreat from combat and bog down anyone trying to get close I believe.

A couple of thundertusks behind grots is good. As is a kunnin ruck with stonehorn and thundertusks.

Chaos has the; sayl, bloodletter, stormfiends, warp lightning cannon combo.

Seems to be things that slap mortal wounds on you without giving you the chance to hit back, usually from a great distance and things that delay and bog down combat that work well together.

Archived