London's Calling 17 (April Fools Edition) - FEEDBACK & RESULTS

Tom Loyn

Thank you so much to everyone who made this weekend so enjoyable.  It was a fun, laid-back event, played in the right spirit, and a great opportunity for those who made it to try out the new SGCT comp.

PSA for the final standings.  Please note a couple of you have moved up or down the odd space since I made an error in the original spreadsheet earlier.  This didn't effect the podiums or best in Alliance trophies.  Congratulations again to Jack Armstrong for a vintage display, only missing out on 20 Kill Points in one game due to his opponent not using his full summoning pool allowance.  Otherwise, 5 Majors, 5 Agendas and 5 tablings.  And yes, he is banned from future events :P 

If you have feedback for our event and how it was run, please do let us know in the comments so we can improve for next time!  Also any thoughts on the SCGT comp and scenarios are welcome, I'm sure Dan, Russ and Wayne will be keen to hear feedback prior to the main event in April.

Thanks again.

FINAL RESULTS.png

I'd echo Tom's comments above.  The event was played in the spirit of AoS (and Slambo!).There were some beautiful armies on display. 

It was a pleasure to meet a number of you for the first time and to catch up with others.

For those of you attending SCGT - be lucky.

On the feedback side:

1. Generally positive about the Battleplans and SCGT House Rules.
  2. The Agendas were well received (detailed feedback below would be helpful).
  3. A number of you commented that the Silver Tower Battleplan was too random. Perhaps the Silver Tower could only move once or twice rather than potentially repeatedly. Alternatively the reward for having the Tower garrisoned could be toned down.
  4. On Battleplan 6, the wording for Striking the Anvil allows "A" hero to strike it - by convention "a" means "any" in the AoS context, whereas it seems likely that the intention was that only one hero could strike the Anvil per hero phase. Perhaps this could say "One" Hero.
  5. The Battleplans and Agendas greatly incentivise taking a tanky General and offer a high reward for sniping Heroes and particularly the General. This is potentially incentivising and buffing some of the conspicuously efficient parts of the Meta (Stonelords, Skyfire Spam, Raptor Spam, Bow Hunters Spam plus Hurricanum). 

Thanks to SLL for running this event. Very nice to have an opportunity to run through the scenarios (which I enjoyed all of, and didn't feel any of which needed changing) and playing some new opponents. I hope you will run future events in the similar vein. I really feel for the organisers - after announcing dates well in advance only to see two large events pop up either side of you, and then for GW to pull in all the narrative guys on the same weekend. That really was a triple whammy which I think took away at least 30-40 people who might otherwise have attended.

The most remarkable thing of the weekend was to see Malifaux gamers in the flesh. I was amazed. These guys really do look like what normal people think we look like. :)

Morning guys. Just want to reiterate what I said on twitter. I had a wicked time despite feeling less than 100% on Saturday morning, but after three great games I was buzzing. It was smoothly run, the trophies were great and the venue and location were great. 

Big thanks to @Nico & @Tom Loyn for TO'ing and the FAQ's. 

And to @Jack Armstrong for unzipping my army in the most charming way possible. He even spoke to me for a while after to make sure I was alright, which you don't always get with Beastclaw Rukk players. 

Tom again for the hilarious rematch on the bottom table. 

I was also lucky enough to get to play @tomspurs and his Dark Elves after wanting to play them for over a year. The game started off brutal but he dug in and it ended up being one of my closest games of the weekend. 

John Burgess for a really entertaining and hard fought game against Bloodbound and for being cool enough to let us play a quick 5th turn in the dying minutes of the session to give me a change to equalise. 

And finally @TinyDino for an anxiety attack inducing game against his Disciples of Tzeentch. The one army I wanted to avoid all weekend but played be a massively magnanimous person. 

Also to everybody who voted me best painted, I hugely appreciate it!

10/10, would come again.

As my first ever tournament experience just wanted to say that I had a really good time and that everyone was really nice! Particularly my opponents (thanks Dec, Luke, Kieron, Adam and Matt) Brilliant to meet and play with people who are enthusiastic about their hobby and to see all the great painted armies!

nico and tom and the sll team hosting did a great job hosting -setup  was great lots of nice mats/scenery, space, convenient bar, easy to get to location - definitely recommended!

regarding the scenarios I can't speak for balance but I enjoyed the silver tower scenario the most as neither me or my opponent had used the garrison rules before, the random chaos of its movement forced us to deploy very unusually, the eating of the garrisoned unit almost every turn meant was hilarious and helped balance as the army scoring points ended up with very few models at the end and it wouldn't had taken much to shift it the other way. 

also really enjoyed fighting over the altar in game 6.

scenarios 1, 3 and 4 felt more conventional but then not every scenario needs crazy rules!

Thanks for the kind words.

You've also jogged my memory. It was great to see that this was the first AoS tournament (or in some cases first Tournament full stop) for some of you. My first tournament (full stop) was this event 1.5 years ago in the early days of AoS when it was not where it is now.

These days, you'll struggle to find a weekend without at least one AoS event going on somewhere in the UK. The Events Calendar on TGA (and Twitter of course) are a good resource for finding out more. 

Events cater to different tastes, so one dayers are better for some people who work weekends or have other commitments. Narrative events are on the rise - keep an Eye out for Coalescence. 

Doubles Events and Team Events are a perfect way to ease yourself into the tournament scene - particularly if you can team up with more experienced friends/club mates. Leading a team of 3 Club Mates to Firestorm Fours in Cardiff this year was Epic. The whole team had a blast!

Some events opt for different sized games - 1,000 and 500 can be great in particular. These are ideal for those who are building up a small force.

Podcasts and Warhammer TV on Twitch allow you to follow tournaments remotely - the Las Vegas Open for example.

4 hours ago, RossMHoward said:

And finally @TinyDino for an anxiety attack inducing game against his Disciples of Tzeentch. The one army I wanted to avoid all weekend but played be a massively magnanimous person. 

This made me laugh. :D Hopefully it wasn't actually anxiety inducing! It was a good game and you played very well, a tough game to finish the tournament with for sure. For anyone curious, I brought a changehost plus skyfires (9) against Ross's Hurricanum Kurnoths Sylvaneth. The scenario required characters to be out in the center, and both him and I had access to damned terrain. Many pew pew was had.

I'll just echo everyone else so far with the massive thanks to @Nico and @Tom Loyn as well as all the other crew involved for organising the event. Also a big thank you goes to all the people I played against, @tomspurs, Aaron, Marc, Chris and @RossMHoward. This was the first tournament I had ever attended, and I didn't know what to expect. But the atmosphere was very relaxed, and getting to meet so many new people who are enjoying the hobby and play a load of games was so much fun.  

Re: Silver Tower scenario, it's a bit of a mixed bag. It feels a bit like a a lucky  teleport of the tower can swing the result on the 5th round an otherwise decisive game - just because it gives 5 bonus points with the garrison. Perhaps the potential semi-random swings are intended.

My gripe with Silver Tower is that it gives armies with a movement in the hero phase mechanic an advantage over others. As the Garrison rules state that your unit must be within 6" at the start of your movement phase. With an extra hero phase move you have an extra opportunity to get set up. 

When I was playing it with Sylvaneth, I felt like I was spreading out across the board and each unit was just waiting for the bus to arrive, so to speak. 

Rather than rolling to see where it goes, and then on a 4+ the garrisoned unit dies, it could simply be that you roll a dice for it at the start of the battleround and on a 1 or 2 it moves, and the unit within is lost automatically. 

Less chance of losing the unit and it gives all other armies a fair chance of being able to catch up to it. 

It was hilarious in the game I played though. 

This was my fifth or sixth London Calling/Burning. Great venue. Nice to have a London (North Brighton ;) ) event. And always a really good atmosphere. Shame about having to spend time with @Tom Loyn ... And I'd echo @Marc Wilson about being disappointed for myself and the event that attendance ended up being low. If it was your first one do tell your friends. If you run London Burning or similar in November I'll 100% be there (well work allowing).

Thanks to all my opponents for 5 really fun encounters. Brilliant to play 5 players I'd never faced before. 

Love the Scenarios and the Agendas. Except Silver Tower which feels like a narrative event scenario. Totally bonkers and lots of fun but I don't think it has any place in matched play as it stands. Needs a few balances and tweaks. I'd have rather played the Realmgate one and proxied any similar sized terrain as the 'gates', and not only because its an easier one for Sylvaneth to win, honest...

Practical point I think 1.5 hours was too long for lunch, especially with that new pizza place a second's walk from the venue, and I'd have preferred longer between afternoon rounds. 

Congrats to @Jack Armstrong on taking it out. Good luck at SCGT. Thanks for being a graceful winner and taking my disappointment in losing a podium place to our game in your stride :) 

Congrats also to @RossMHoward for taking out the real competition (seriously good painting field for a small event), my display board did nothing to pull the Sylvaneth vote clearly haha. Nice one Owyn on the beautful Death painting and Kieron for best Death.

Thanks to those that chose my Sylvanelves for Best Painted- my third London Legion painting trophy for three different armies!!! To go along a best sports and best in race... I'll be back for that gaming prize...

As a side note I'll be reporting on my 5 games in more detail on the Hard6 podcast this week (probably available to listen to on Friday) and if anyone fancies a game in London Kieron, Owyn and I are at EXP Leisure most tuesdays, I'm on twitter @HadrielCaine (DO NOT use my personal twitter account please...)

This event has really rekindled my love of AoS after a hard few months personally and a struggling list at Sheffield. 

Oh and it turns out you can run Sylvaneth without a Hurricanum or a loremaster or immunity to rend... wish I was going to SCGT

A.

As everyone else has said, it was great event and really smoothly run. I was also pleased to see such a good variety of armies represented.  What impressed me the most though was that everyone I met was just really friendly and a great sport, either during the game or between games just wandering around and talking to people.

I liked the inclusion of the agendas, but contrary to what I have seen other people say, they had no impact on any of my games. They were either so one sided that it was easy for one player to get theirs and prevent the opponents, or we both achieved or failed them.

Brilliant event and will definitely come back to the next one.

Ben

What a great event. Big  thanks to the SLL lads for running this, especially Tom the big man himself. I had so much fun, and all 5 of my opponents were great. Shout out to Ben, Owyn, Jack, Leo and of course my club mate Dave (perfect way to finish!)

Really no big gripes - maybe the lower tables could've had mats too (although was awesome that any had them in general) and maybe we could've organised something as a group to have done Saturday evening to keep everyone together?

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks everyone. 

Did anyone have any feedback on the FAQs (including "What FAQs?" "What are you talking about?"). In particular, I'd be interested to hear feedback on Destiny Dice working on Mortal Wounds or any other nuances that came up in relation to Stormcast and DoT in particular.

18 minutes ago, Nico said:

In particular, I'd be interested to hear feedback on Destiny Dice working on Mortal Wounds

Just to add my 2 cents. In my testings in my club, we had a dozen games where we allowed the Tzeenchian player to destinidice his bolt of Tzeench and it feels ok. The fact that it happens in the hero phase allow the opponent to have some control on "who can be bolted" except on double turns. The threat range is very short compared to thundertusks.

DD are hot enough without being used for mortal wounds. 

Are they though? In the absence of using them on Mortal Wounds, the uses for the sixes become limited: big save rolls on heroes (which still feels like a waste unless it's vs Durthu) and literally 2? units that have D6 damage - Archaon's Derpy -1 rend Dorghar Attacks and the Soulgrinder's Claw. Ensuring you make a long charge is nice, but not used that often for DoT (and the fours and fives would usually be enough). The sixes are occasionally needed for big cast rolls of 11 for double sized Daemon units. Obviously the DD ones are worth their weight in gold for Battleshock, but the 2s and 3s are pretty marginal - typically used on crucial wound rolls. The 4s and 5s are good for charges, cast rolls and hit rolls.

My guess is that part of the problem with DoT is that it's fireworks turn one (especially with the Changehost), then the benefits of the Allegiance Pack fall off a cliff. It's hopefully uncontroversial to say that the DoT artefacts and command traits aren't earth shattering the way the Stormcast and especially Sylvaneth ones are. This front-loading of the Allegiance Pack probably makes it look stronger than it is. It will be fascinating to see DoT developing alongside Khorne, as their Blood Tithe mechanic is almost the opposite - they start off with nothing in the tank, but can potentially build it up for a massive buff ("everybody do the Bloodwarrior Dance") later in the game. 

54 minutes ago, Marc Wilson said:

edit - it's not short range taking into account all the Changehost shenanigans.

Well, maybe.

Not everytzeench play a Changehost.

Anyway, if you go to a tournament, you have to take in account that you can eat 6-12 mortal wounds on turn 1 anywhere on the table.

If you are not ready for that, well, you should.

If you loose a key part of your strategy turn one you better have a plan B. Remember, in Age of Sigmar, Two is One and One is Zero.

Back on the DD subject, i suspect that you are right and that FAQ & clarification will remove the option to adjust MW. But i don't find that a good thing. ThunderHusks do agree with me.

Personally the DD being used on a MW came in handy for me once - where I could automatically kill off the savage big boss with a bolt of tzeentch. Otherwise the dice tend to be used to force casting through. So personally I think it's fine and actually gives a use to the big numbers. Otherwise I tend to use those to get big charges or for saves which isn't so exciting.

My feedback on the event and comp pack (that I’ll also send separately to Russ).

Big thanks to Tom and Nico to running it – agree that it’s a shame on the turnout but let’s use more people in the community to promote the next one to get the numbers back up as it’s a great location and event.

This was my test of a very competitive army list that I am hoping to do well at SCGT and generally it felt one step of ‘tweaked’ above everyone else’s that I played.  I did play some other very competitive lists, but nothing that I felt had been finely honed for ultra competitiveness.  If that make for some slight mismatches then apologies to my opponents, I tried after each game to talk through various tactical options and different ways of playing it as I think in all 5 games the slaughter was only partly due to the strength of my list but also due to easily changeable mistakes that my opponents made.  Really enjoyed played 5 new people though and have seen where some of the holes and potential bad matchups for me are, will just have to hope I get a lucky draw at SCGT!

Feedback broken down into three parts:

Event:

Really well run, good comms and nice atmosphere.  Shorten the lunch break a bit though and potentially a 9:30 start on the Sunday so if we are only having 5 games you get away in the afternoon rather than evening.  Also it might help to get some kind of social organised on Saturday to encourage more people to stay around and hang out together.

Event FAQ:

Really liked it, specially the Treekin ‘reroll armour saves’ interpretation.  Only bit I didn’t agree with was destiny dice on Mortal wounds but I can see both sides of the argument.  I also think Stormcast need to be cleared up which of the formations can deploy into combat (old argument I know) but leads to confusion – I think the Vanguard wing is the only really contentious one now and I can see from the wording how it could easily be allowed to but I would almost just prefer none of them to be able to for simplicity.

SCGT Pack

Overall I think there is a bit too much emphasis on the General which gives some armies massive advantages, but it’s hard to think how to change the missions/scenarios to fix it without making massive changes.  Scenarios generally I liked, although they generally seemed to reflect the way the game was going anyways, ie if you’re winning your more likely to have killed the general/battleline/got artefacts etc.  I think more of a ‘capture building’ or ‘capture hills’ as we have had before could help diversify it as then you have genuine other objectives to go for if you’re being smashed.

Another general comments for all 6 scenarios is just say ‘player turn’ or ‘game turn’ rather than ‘turn’ to avoid confusion.  I would also bold what is required in each for capturing (ie for 1 leaders and behemoths) just to make it extra obvious as in some there have been changes.

Lastly I would like to see units that have been summoned/teleported/from the sky not being able to contest on the turn they arrive.

Heralds of the Storm: Liked it

Silver Tower: Too random for me specially with the amount of points you can get for a late garrison.  I would like to see either a predictable movement of the tower (ie between the 3 spots over the 5 turns but in order) as that still requires armies with mobility but reduces the luck factor.  Another suggestion is just get a bonus 1 point if you garrison it, as opposed to the number of the turn.  This still makes it a lot better but reduces the effect of a lucky garrison turn 5 beating someone who has managed to capture it every previous turn.

Capture and Control:  I like this one, only potential suggestion is move the objectives to 18” from the short table edge to get them 12” further apart.  Otherwise the dahs from your objective with your general to theirs is a bit too easy and risk free.  It does encourage a bit more of a smash up though so understand it.

Domination: Tighten up the wording where it says a ‘unit cannot be in more than one area’, we took that to mean it can’t count as contesting/scoring two areas but if some of it’s models are in one area it can contest that one.  The wording could read that if any models are outside of an area then it can’t score it.  Also what happens if models have half of their bases in like a large model?  Unlikely I know but it did come up in our game!

Realmgate: I like this one, good improvement on last year.

Altar: You need o specify if more than one Hero can strike the Anvil each turn.  Also how big should the Altar be and can other scenery be summoned on/near it?  I think for the sake of balance you shouldn’t be able to summon Wildwoods or a Balewind say within 3”.

Re Destiny dice and mortal wounds. Disclaimer: the list I ran in London's Calling benefited from being able to rig Bolt of Tzeentch on the changeling.

I personally think limiting it is bad for build diversity for Disciples of Tzeentch, because there is even less reason then to take anything else than 18 or more Skyfires.  The problem is not so much on the mortal wound destiny dice on their own, its rather the fact that you can squeeze in good ways to utilize them while still running Skyfires. For example, Multidinious Host (typically run without skyfires, or at most a few of them) without mortal wound rigging gets shafted and hard.

There's a couple of applications in which it can be perceived to be unfair - or at the very least very strong. Both of these are emphasized by the ultimate importance leaders have in SCGT scenarios. One with the use of Changehost, the other with the use of Balewind Vortex. If you don't have one (or preferably both like my tournament list did), DD MW aren't nearly as scary. 

With the changehost not only can you alpha strike key opponent characters, later on you can swap models around to get the bolt of tzeentch caster near enough to its preferred target. It would still work to an extent if you weren't allowed to use destiny dice to rig the bolt damage, but you'd have to commit a Arcane Bolt from the LoC in addition to the bolt from the changeling on average. LoC still could cast its own spell - but no Tzeentch Firestorm then.

That's a problem especially in SCGT where heroes are often needed near the center and out in the open. Many factions don't have access to sturdy heroes, and Changehost alpha can punish poor positioning hard. Only things like stonehorn's etc. give relatively few damns about this. 

With the Balewind vortex you can also snipe a hero within 36" provided it dies from 5 or 6 mortal wounds. Armies that can't reliably pick off the caster on the balewind can run into some pretty big trouble.

Both methods can do game ending damage, but arguably it is not much more impressive than thundertusks, it's limited to actually having the high valued destiny dice to do it, etc. 

Does DoT need it? No, we have Skyfires. But not having that rigging does make the army more one-dimensional. And you can do both methods outlined above even without the rigging, it just becomes less reliable. At that point, when writing a tournament list, it's just better to work for law of averages and spam skyfires. No reliance on a single D6 to pick off key targets. 

That's a problem especially in SCGT where heroes are often needed near the center and out in the open. Many factions don't have access to sturdy heroes, and Changehost alpha can punish poor positioning hard. Only things like stonehorn's etc. give relatively few damns about this. 

Also worth remembering is that Gryph Hounds can severely limit where the Changehost Units can appear without getting Raptor to the face or Judicator to the face.

If the Changehost isn't a single drop army, then someone who can teleport in the hero phase can immediately reveal the Changeling if you take turn one. It's becoming increasingly important to be able to determine who goes first. You can also remove the second swap from the Changehost by killing typically one or two units to reduce it to under 9 units - not hard!

I personally think limiting it is bad for build diversity for Disciples of Tzeentch, because there is even less reason then to take anything else than 18 or more Skyfires.  The problem is not so much on the mortal wound destiny dice on their own, its rather the fact that you can squeeze in good ways to utilize them while still running Skyfires. For example, Multidinious Host (typically run without skyfires, or at most a few of them) without mortal wound rigging gets shafted and hard.

I agree. For an army that should be generating a whole variety of lists (given that it encompasses Slaves to Darkness, Daemons and Arcanites and even Archaon), the lack of variety we've seen so far at events is a concern. I've gone and bought far too many DoT models on top of an existing Fatesworn Warband from last year to road test stuff. We'll see what people bring to SCGT.

This was my test of a very competitive army list that I am hoping to do well at SCGT and generally it felt one step of ‘tweaked’ above everyone else’s that I played.  I did play some other very competitive lists, but nothing that I felt had been finely honed for ultra competitiveness.  If that make for some slight mismatches then apologies to my opponents, I tried after each game to talk through various tactical options and different ways of playing it as I think in all 5 games the slaughter was only partly due to the strength of my list but also due to easily changeable mistakes that my opponents made.  Really enjoyed played 5 new people though and have seen where some of the holes and potential bad matchups for me are, will just have to hope I get a lucky draw at SCGT!

It was great to see people smiling on the top table even if the pair of Stonelords were stomping them pretty quickly.

Really well run, good comms and nice atmosphere.  Shorten the lunch break a bit though and potentially a 9:30 start on the Sunday so if we are only having 5 games you get away in the afternoon rather than evening.  Also it might help to get some kind of social organised on Saturday to encourage more people to stay around and hang out together.

Thanks for all the feedback Jack. I gather that there was some pub action going on, but it wasn't necessarily broadcast. 

Another general comments for all 6 scenarios is just say ‘player turn’ or ‘game turn’ rather than ‘turn’ to avoid confusion.  I would alsobold what is required in each for capturing (ie for 1 leaders and behemoths) just to make it extra obvious as in some there have been changes.

Yep. The scoring whether at the end of Battlerounds or each player's turn could perhaps be summarised in a table at the end of each Battleplan (so when/what (General, more heroes, Battleline Units, more units, more models/Where (within 6" of X).

You've reminded me that Domination should have in bold that you only get a Minor Victory if you have the most points at the end (a bit like Blood & Glory in the GH). At least one table had this wrong (understandably).

Lastly I would like to see units that have been summoned/teleported/from the sky not being able to contest on the turn they arrive.

This rule has floated in and out of tournament packs over time.

Domination: Tighten up the wording where it says a ‘unit cannot be in more than one area’, we took that to mean it can’t count as contesting/scoring two areas but if some of it’s models are in one area it can contest that one.  The wording could read that if any models are outside of an area then it can’t score it.  Also what happens if models have half of their bases in like a large model?  Unlikely I know but it did come up in our game!

Yep.

I would add that this is an improvement on the equivalent Battleplan last year, where it was complete table quarters, so a unit could hide in the corner of the table and still score.

Hey guys, thanks for the fun weekend!

I had 5 great games against 5 great players (Alex,Chris,Luke,Kieron and Marc) and learned loads about how agendas actually work.. and how my opponents enjoyed facing Mournguls :)

Good:

- printed agenda missions were a great idea to make the selection process easier and remembering which one your opponent is playing.

- enough space around the tables and access to a sideboard was nice to see.

- tables had a good amount of good looking terrain and those with the battle mats were a bonus to play on.

Suggestions:

- It was good to have FAQ's and some rulings outlined in the event thread before hand but them not being updated into the initial main post was an issue, which did make it easy to miss some information.

- Only applied to me but had Adam Cunis not inquired at the end of game 4, I was not aware that I had received a painting nomination and would of just gone off for lunch. I understand that there were 3 of you running the show at different points over the weekend and appreciate all of the effort you guys put in. So I feel like the TO communication just needs some refinement in terms of double checking and maybe even repeating information to players just in case.

- Having the longer lunch was nice but the usual hour should be plenty of time if you are also strict with dice down at the end of the round.

SCGT comp

I feel like it is mostly in a pretty good state and works well. I do however feel that it is too easy to get way ahead if you take the first turn in Domination. If you have the movement you can easily get into your opponents scoring areas, be 6 points up and have the rest of your army holding your scoring areas before your opponent has even moved. Maybe scoring needs to start from battle round 2 so both players have a chance to respond.

Overall though I always enjoy the SLL events and look forward to more! I know you guys didn't get the numbers you wanted, which is a shame and its hard to know what to suggest when Heat 2 announces way later for the weekend after and will draw those originally signed up/potential sign ups from out of London away. Hopefully if the heats stay to the same weekends you guys will be able to move away from them by just a week or two but it is tough.

Archived