How far can I stretch a starter box? Stormcast Eternals

Pretty happy with that for a 125 SCGT army.  I suspect that, Battleplan dependent of course, the Prime and Gyros will be on the sidelines most games at 100 pools.  And probably 5 of the Drakes.  That gets me down to 99.  But in mobility/get across the board scenarios, the Drakes will draw the short straw probably.

Also, it seems likely that I should have had this thread in Blogs rather than Painting and Modelling.  Oh well.  LOL

I've been wondering the same thing about my own army blog.

I guess that existing forums such as Warseer use forum threads for army blogs as we have, but with TGA having a blog section that's probably more appropriate.

However, I use Tapatalk to visit TGA and I only seem to be able to see the forums and the gallery (which I have to leave the Tapatalk app to view), not the blogs?

MGP

P.S. I like what you've done with your Stormcast, very clever and thrifty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a terrible mistake.

I'm not going to win a single game at our event this month.

It's blindingly obvious to me now, but it completely escaped me at the time.  There's nothing in there to fight with.  It's all shooting and gimmicks.  Needs one more "boots on the ground" unit at least, and fewer Stormcast characters.

The problem ultimately is one that I accept - I really want to use some expensive models that I've got painted in a way that i like.  The Steam Tank, Celestial Hurricanum, and Irondrakes end up being well over 50 pools all on their own, and they are the bits that I like the best.  But then to try to cram a useful Stormcast fragement in there in the remaining 40-ish pools is just too hard.

In hindsight, if I wanted to use those three units, I probably should have just taken the Celestant-Prime and more Dwarfs.  Trying for a 50/50 blend of two distinct armies doesn't cut it, but going like 85/15 I think would be great.

Dunno.  I didn't have to buy the Razorwings, since I've had them in my bits for years. :)

Anyway, finished off my Stormcast Air Force.  10 Liberators almost done on my painting table - that will get me to a legal army with minimum-sized 1 Judicator and 2 Liberator units.  Still feels a bit short of boots on the ground to me, but we'll see.

air force.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well.

Turns out that out of all the vast selection of models and armies I have, I only have two armies I can field in bog-standard Matched Play.  Minimum-unit-size Moonclan (ie. with three 20-model units of Grots - simultaneously too many and not enough, if you follow me), or Stormcasts.  So in the short term while I work on painting Bonesplitterz and maybe re-basing some Dwarf warriors, it looks like Stormcast are about it for the short term.

So here's what I'll be using at a local 1000pt random partner doubles event in a few weeks.  ( I also haven't yet done a lot of formation research on Stormcasts yet, to know which ones I want to buy piecemeal in the app, so no formations.)

HEROES
Knight Heraldor (120)
Knight Venator (120)
UNITS
Liberators x 15 (300)
- Warhammer & Shield
- Grandhammers : 3
Judicators x 5 (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Shockbolt Bow : 1
Paladin Retributors x 5 (220)
- Starsoul Maces : 2
Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins x 3 (80)
WOUNDS: 71 TOTAL POINTS: 1000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well well well.

Now that I've grabbed a couple SCE halves of the Soul Wars box, no reason not to resurrect this thread.

Since September 2016, I've not added a lot to my previous SCE.  I built a Lord Celestant (on foot) out of a Reaper Bones model that I'm pretty happy with.  And I grabbed a couple of boxes of Judicators but never got around to painting them.  I also used a Carmine Dragon (also a Reaper Bones conversion) for an event that happened to be on that one day where Forgeworld prematurely released updated points and it dipped below 400 (it immediately went back up over 400 the next day and the dragon went back to gathering dust on the shelf hahahaha).

So for now my project is Sacrosanct.  Two copies of Soul Wars plus the Castigator add-on box.  Also those two boxes of Judicators, and I found a couple more likely Soulmace conversions so I can get up to 4/10 in my Retributors.

Starting on the Sacrosanct. Last night I built two Lords Arcanum, 2 Knight-Incantors, and 4 Evocators.  Only one complaint - the shoulder pad join on the Knight-Incantor really didn't push together well, on either one.  The gaps are manageable (or non-existent) on the others so far, but the K-I left a big gap.

• Like 2

Yeah I had the same problem with shoulder pad gaps. It's a clever kit but I think overall the models coming in two halves is just asking for trouble with those shoulder pads. Bit disappointing but gives me a reason to learn how to use liquid green stuff!

Will be interested to see what you're able to convert out of the Soul Wars kit... I've left all my 'spare' models on the sprue (the extra Sequitors, the pretty useless Prime with mace and shield, and the two leftover Castigators... in retrospect I should have left the Evocators on there too, oh well) and I'm keeping my eyes open for good ideas for stuff to do with them!

Yeah so far I'm leaving the spares on the sprue as well (I built the 6th Evocator before I realized I should leave him be, boo).  A clubmate was making noise about trading me for the spares so he could do some Bloodbowl conversions with them, so we'll see.

In general, the Sequitors went together with fewer/lesser shoulder pad gaps than the Evocators or K-I did.

I've still got Castigators and Ballistas to build.

The main thing last time with the original starter was the pressure to get the special weapons right, and to make some Heroes on the cheap.  This time, these are lesser pressures since they are already set up to have the special weapons correct-ish, and I don't have that same lack of Heroes (because all those ones from before are still there on my shelf).  So I'm not sure what conversion I'll need to do.

I clipped the fancy headpiece off the head of one of the shield Sequitor-Primes, so that he can slot in as a plain Sequitor (I'll also file down and/or greenstuff fill the fancy shoulder pad).  With 2 sets you can make a unit of 10 and a unit of 5, with the right number of great weapons in each, by down-converting one Prime with shield, and leaving the other Prime with shield as spare.

Although I am starting to think in the back of my brain about what I could do with a 3rd set....  Puts it up to 9 Evocators, so there would need to be some sort of conversion for a 10th.  And I'd love to have a 3rd Ballista.  And I think there would always be room for a few more Sequitors in a Sacrosanct-based list.

But I think 2 sets plus the extra top-up box is already too many Castigators (from the buzz on the internet 1 Castigator is too many, let alone 3-4 units of them lol), and it's also too many Heroes already as well.  Three sets would be a lot of models that wouldn't be worth using.   Probably get the best value out of just straight-up buying kits (or maybe a Sacrosanct Start Collecting in a few months, depending on the load out).  Or maybe one of the other lesser forthcoming Getting Started options, depending on the load outs there.

Edited by amysrevenge

OK, digging through my collection, assessing and re-assessing, and here's what I'm going to do.

First of all, I'm going to completely start over with paint scheme.  I'll not be beholden to 2015-Mike and his out of date skillset.

As far as roster goes

I think I'm going to put aside one Lord-Arcanum and one Knight-Incantor to do with my Dispossessed (who are on deck for after Sacrosanct Stormcasts).

I've got an unpainted Lord Celestant on Dracoth and a Lord Relictor, these two will join the new army.

I think I will buy an Evocator box.  Build the Knight-Incantor and 4 Evocators out of it, alongside the current 6 that makes for 10 Evocators.  Depending on how many Grandstaves you can make out of one box, I might convert a few of the Soul Wars ones (seems like an easy enough conversion).

I might consider a Taurolon box when they come out, but that's a bit more iffy for me.

I have a handful of other painted Stormcast heroes, a couple of which might end up on the re-paint block if I think they will slot in well enough.

Last of all I might consider a Lord-Ordinator, but he's waaay down on my list.

This sounds almost as insane as the Start Collecting Seraphon Box conversion that was done on Lustria-Online:

It took:

1 120mm oval base
1 40mm round base 

1 Start Collecting Seraphon

Which includes:
10 Warriors (2 spare)
5 Knights (3 spare)
1 Carnosaur or Troglodon

And with some conversions and work end up with:
10 Warriors
5 Knights
1 Carnosaur with Scarvet rider
1 Troglodon
1 Astrolith Bearer
1 Oldblood on foot
1 Sunblood
1 Scarvet on Coldone (you could make 3)

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/getting-the-most-from-your-start-collecting-seraphon-box.20560/

• Like 1

Oh no I just realized I have to consider what to do about the Celestant-Prime.  Do I repaint him to match the new army, or keep him with the old?  I don't really foresee using the old stuff much any time soon, but he'd be a bear to repaint now that he's fully assembled...

2 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Oh no I just realized I have to consider what to do about the Celestant-Prime.  Do I repaint him to match the new army, or keep him with the old?  I don't really foresee using the old stuff much any time soon, but he'd be a bear to repaint now that he's fully assembled...

As the Prime isn't tied down to any one Stormhost, you could just keep him the same and use him in both. 

• Like 1

Had an epic liquid greenstuff session last night.  Soooo many shoulder pad gaps.........

Some of the gaps were probably too wide for LGS (ugh, more than 1mm in some cases) but I persevered and I think I got it covered.  Will be trimming/filing/smoothing tonight.