Slaanesh his Spartans, step daughters and anything that catches his fancy.

Kramer

23 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Some really awesome posing there! Love all the little details like the pauldron straps across the chest and the slanesh demon claw on the champion. Also, bare feet on lava rocks? You don't want to f with these guys.

You've got a really cool army concept here. Hoplites feel right at home in the mythology-inspired world of the mortal realms, and I wouldn't be too surprised if we eventually got some sort of Greek inspired faction for AoS.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks man! Yeah those little tie in's to mythology and culture is one of the few things I miss from the old world. But then again. Endless realms so I can do what I want ;) I have a couple of conversions and additions planned that take the spartan theme and broaden it a bit into Greek mythology. 

And about the sandals, haha I did try to sculpt them but I couldn't get them to work. So I decided on bare foot... only later did I do the basis. Never thought about it ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ademo said:

Looking superb, really dynamic models you've made there

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks! This idea has been bouncing around in my head for years. But when the kairic acolytes dropped i knew I finally head the base models I needed. GW have really outdone themselves with them?

• Like 2

Oerl was staring sullenly at the realm gate. His skin marked by lashes and his face bruised. Internally he was seething with rage but externally he looked as calm as a bear fishing for trout. At least that’s how he imagined himself.‘That infernal Realmgate be damned’ Oerl thought to himself. It seemed to be mocking him, with it’s ordinary stonework. A stupid, overgrown, ancient, crumbling, uninspired, basic, piece of rock in the middle of a burned forest. Everyone knew it was useless and broken even though they had been charged to protect it. But less than three months ago it had lit up and the ‘nameless one’ had stepped through. He knew it to be impossible yet he had seen it with his own eyes. It was like the warrior had stepped straight out of the ancient paintings. 
Of course nobody had believed his warnings. He had run screaming and babbling into the town. Panicked he had rung the gong of war. His explanation had been met with scorn and ridicule. Frustrated Oerl had lashed out but foolishly against Bran, a brute of a man and second in chief. His retaliation had been animalistic in it’s savagery. Oerl grimaced to himself, ‘It was no more than I deserved’ he whispered. Lost in thought he played with the beginnings of fur that started to grow from the scars on his shoulders, it was the one thing that confused him the most. Only the fiercest warriors of his tribe were blessed in this manner. ‘Why me?’

Oerl sniffed. There was something in the air… magic!? Shifting his focus back to the Realmgate he could see the ancient runes starting to glow a deep, dark red while tendrils of smoke started to drift from between the rocks. ‘Finally!’ ,Oerl thought, this was his chance to redeem himself. He slowly drew his axe and lifted his shield. Flexing his muscles he awaited to see what would come through the Realmgate. Crouched down with his hair on end, his whole body at the ready, he waited. He waited until his calves burned and the sun started to go down but he would be patient. Although the fog coming from the Realmgate thickened he could see nothing coming through. ‘Nothing!’ he seethed to himself. Nobody would believe him if he didn’t have a trophy to prove…. wait! What was that sound? He could hear a flute playing a strangely soothing song, soon followed by a fair haired man striding from the mystical fog. He was a graceful man, wearing little armour but carrying an immense shield with a matching spear. Right, this was Oerl’s chance! But before he could advance more men came through the Realmgate. All wearing bronze armour with big plumes on their helmets. Every man far taller than he was. They were clearly seasoned fighters and nothing was to be won by charging these men alone. ‘Even the most fierce beasts knew when to attack alone and when they needed their pack’ Oerl told himself. 

Suddenly, his hairs back on end Oerl realised he had left his guard down, so enraptured had he become with the music. 

‘Perfect, aren’t they’ the Nameless One whispered in his ear.  

5965228343a46_warriorsintroduction.jpg.7cd7226420b5204e8a9198b125ee2f9b.jpg

Well the first squad is finally finished! A concept I thought of the first time a saw the mortal Slaanesh models more than 15 years ago finally has come to fruition. I'm quite happy with the results but very very happy I started this project and finally getting some momentum. I will be adding a freehand logo on all the shields before I varnish them but that can wait. (mostly waiting on inspiration).

IMG_0190.JPG.43d6ad9b63b6ae0a71bdb1ab2be993fb.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG.d9a336c76d042515fe009dc1882d5ce4.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG.2b9b098c68b9bc4f4b7fea41fa980b6c.JPG

I have so many possible conversion ideas, storylines and additions flying through my head... I just can't wait to start them all xD but first up 7 more Daemonettes to finish the 10 girl squad and i'm close to finishing the chariot. After that I will be adding to the court of the 'Nameless one' with two more heroes for a clean 1000p army. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Ademo said:

Oooh chariot! Fantastic, looking forward to seeing how this will look!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I know right! And it's even the old metal spiky one! But as you can see the riders had to go!

IMG_0177.JPG.c9b5bea7270bbd2d2fa95acc5c7f2693.JPG

As you can see they are just tiny and not very spartan like. But...

IMG_0178.JPG.bbc872b255d9a4e230e0cf82a9a97a55.JPG

two aren't going to fit #nospoilers ;) 

Cool conversions. Kairic Acolytes are one of the best barbaric units GW made so far in the case of conversion.

Liked them, after I saw Duncan's skirmish army, where he had 4 spearmen made with these models.

Think your guys could also be used as an order army if you didn't use the guy with the claw.

• Like 1

On 15-7-2017 at 9:40 PM, EMMachine said:

Cool conversions. Kairic Acolytes are one of the best barbaric units GW made so far in the case of conversion.

Liked them, after I saw Duncan's skirmish army, where he had 4 spearmen made with these models.

Think your guys could also be used as an order army if you didn't use the guy with the claw.

Thanks!

Don't wanna these guys are evil to the bones ;) and that's why after much dilibiration the champion got the claw, to tie it in with the deamonic elements of the army 

And, yeah to be fair, when I saw the Duncan conversion I was one part happy that we had the same idea, one part annoyed that my original idea seamed... well less original. But oh well :) 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well finally a update! Crappy photos for now but I'll do a proper shoot when it's all done. When working on the last four daemonettes I started counting the models painted in 2017. I was on 99 so I rewarded myself with painting a hero for my slaaneshi Spartans. So with no further ado my Chaos sorcerer. 

IMG_0375.JPG.b87330410cc82dca29595e8524cf0a75.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG.034c9efb42f859ec75cfdf0127d854d5.JPG

its still very gritty (partly due to the photo quality) and missing some details, so I have some more work to do but it's a very fun model. With a lot of details and one of those models I always wanted but never had a reason for. So a good choice for number hundred. 

• Like 1

Great concept for an army. Plus, the imagery ties in nicely to Sigvald's armour. 

I been looking for some dynamic sculpts to use as the basis for my own Slaanesh chaos warriors, so I think I'll take some inspiration from you and try to replicate your idea. 

I've a few hoplite-inspired conversions in my own army, but I've used dark Eldar/aelf, and stormcast models for mine. Yours are truer to the stylised Greek look though.

Regarding cloaks - I'd reserve those for characters, or unit champions. I find them tricky to sculpt, so I buy them from GW bits sellers, or third party bits companies. Getting the scale to match is always the tricky part though, but the effort can be worth it.

I'll be watching with your thread with interest, especially the chariot - I'm thinking of using the dark elf kit for my own Slaanesh chariot.

Great back story too. 

MGP

2 hours ago, MyGeekyPersona said:

Great concept for an army. Plus, the imagery ties in nicely to Sigvald's armour. 

I been looking for some dynamic sculpts to use as the basis for my own Slaanesh chaos warriors, so I think I'll take some inspiration from you and try to replicate your idea. 

I've a few hoplite-inspired conversions in my own army, but I've used dark Eldar/aelf, and stormcast models for mine. Yours are truer to the stylised Greek look though.

I know right! I've had this idea since I was a kid playing the game over 15 years ago. But nothing ever felt right. The Kairic acolytes are such a good basis. Nothing ever felt right. Even considered Blood warriors. 

En to be fair I thought the same of the chariot and will do so if I ever feel the need for a second one. But my father bought those, some chaos knights and spawn years ago and left them to me. So it's nice to incorporate and finish it. 

Looking forward to your execution of the idea! Make sure you share it (and tag me ;) ) 

Edited by Kramer

• 3 months later...

Wow some great looking dudes there.  A Minotaur would fit in there like a glove too, what with Theseus and all.

They fit so well and inspired by (sort of) true history.  Even the culture works well with Slaanesh. 

Just a little bit jealous I didn't think of it myself

• Like 1

Just now, StuG said:

Just a little bit jealous I didn't think of it myself

That's the best praise you can ever get ;) 

Yeah really happy they worked out so well! I must admit I've been eyeing that warherd box since it came out! I would most likely sell the gorgon and proxy my old albion giant. (left one)

image.png.6c2dd9cac85c5ae712ed3cef0194728f.png

But for now I'm working up to 1K, then 1,5k and finally 1600pt and then having a look at fun allies. Minotaurs, cyclopses and harpies are all options! But any suggestions are welcome! 

Last daemonettes done, (picture will follow tomorrow)

Now to start on the lord! (slaanesh lord on daemonic mount). 

Anybody got a ace gold recipe? I have Auric Armour Gold as a layer and Sigmarite dry planned but last I used that combination it still lacked.... some flair to it. So I'm thinking maybe some small rose gold or pink elements. But really open to any suggestions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, no more excuses. Couple of delays. Daemonettes kind of killed my flow during september, the moved in oktober, and now finishes the last girls of the squad I realise I can't find the box with the ones previously painted :S It will turn up, but until that time a picture of the last 4 will have to do. 

IMG_3064.JPG.55aad6c502cc591dfa25974f58468852.JPG

Basing is to be decided. But I need that momentum to get back first. So without further ado, the next chapter in the story of Oerl....

The siege, if you could call it that, was in it’s third week. Oerl stood on the ramparts looking at the invaders. Meanwhile the invaders outside of the gate seemed to just enjoy their time in the sun. They lay around laughing and making music. The sounds of their merriment drifting over the walls. They had not tried to break into their walls even once. 

Of course Oerl wasn’t allowed to join his clans attack on the invaders. The clan’s second in command, Bran, led the charge. They had charged amass. The invaders had simply laughed, grabbed their shields and adopted a defensive formation. A tide of anger, bloodlust and muscle hit them… but none managed to penetrate their shield wall. After a short battle, Bran sounded the retreat. Many of his clan members lay dead. Men he trained with for years, men who saw countless battles, killers all. Yet they had not inflicted a single casualty. 

Of course Bran blamed him, for not warning them earlier. Seething Bran called for Oerl. Axe in hand Bran ran towards him. But something had changed. Maybe Bran was starting to slow with age or Oerl was becoming stronger. With a ease and grace he had never possessed before, Oerl swung the charging Bran over his shoulder and flying into the wall. This of course had not earned him a spot on the next charge but the younger warriors in his tribe looked at him differently. He had spotted more young ones with soft fur instead of the shaggy fur the older warriors sometimes grew. He wondered if it was because….

Someone was opening the gate!! Slowly he saw a group of veterans opening the gate. Alarmed he ran forward, barely registering that the younger warriors followed him. But to his surprise no warriors charged in, no treachery, no bloodshed, instead a group of beautiful women entered….

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the basing had to go, as the Warriors kept falling off as the pebbles had not enough surface touching the base to really stick to it. However I do liked the grey bases in combination with the warmer bronze and flesh. So... had a few minutes yesterday and come up with this. 

C8CB7843-30C5-4C8D-AA57-C39636FEAA4C.jpeg.05505587621b7022a98e5e48acdd44a0.jpeg

its fast, easy and cheap. I will be scattering a bit of grit on he bases and I’m going to try to add a bit of smouldering wood on every 3rd or so base. Just to keep it tied to the narrative. 

What do you think? 

• 1 month later...

Been a long time, kept on painting though, just didn't make the time to take the pictures.

Time for the Daemonettes! Twenty at the moment and will likely be adding a second unit. Was planing to only use the old daemonettes models mixed with the newer Witch elves. But a friend give me the lovely present of a box of daemonettes, sadly the plastic ones ;). So with them in the mix I decided to not buy new whitch elves but just use the old metal ones I had lying around. So without further ado:

IMG_4757-4.jpg.e5a50294c65c5de50ba8705b7c3630e6.jpgIMG_4758-5.jpg.c7432151d0ff89874f45349ef2e786c2.jpg

A horrible side effect of having a good camera means you see every smudge... ah well forces me to improve (and use two thin layers ;)

Backstory time:

The siege, if you could call it that, was in it’s third week. Oerl stood on the ramparts looking at the invaders. Meanwhile the invaders outside of the gate seemed to just enjoy their time in the sun. They lay around laughing and making music. The sounds of their merriment drifting over the walls. They had not tried to break into their walls even once. 
Of course Oerl wasn’t allowed to join his clans attack on the invaders. The clan’s second in command, Bran, led the charge. They had charged amass. The invaders had simply laughed, grabbed their shields and adopted a defensive formation. A tide of anger, bloodlust and muscle hit them… but none managed to penetrate their shield wall. After a short battle, Bran sounded the retreat. Many of his clan members lay dead. Men he trained with for years, men who saw countless battles, killers all. Yet they had not inflicted a single casualty. 

Of course Bran blamed him, for not warning them earlier. Seething Bran called for Oerl. Axe in hand Bran ran towards him. But something had changed. Maybe Bran was starting to slow with age or Oerl was becoming stronger. With a ease and grace he had never possessed before, Oerl swung the charging Bran over his shoulder and flying into the wall. This of course had not earned him a spot on the next charge but the younger warriors in his tribe looked at him differently. He had spotted more young ones with soft fur instead of the shaggy fur the older warriors sometimes grew. He wondered if it was because….

Someone was opening the gate!! Slowly he saw a group of veterans opening the gate. Alarmed he ran forward, barely registering that the younger warriors followed him. But to his surprise no warriors charged in, no treachery, no bloodshed, instead a group of beautiful women entered….

• Like 3

Next up: Love this conversion. I used an old Chaos Chariot my dad left me from way back. So it's all spikes and made for much smaller warriors than my conversions. The solution was one daemonette and one warrior, which works brilliant as it ties the two elements together nicely (daemon and mortal). And I will probably be doing so more often.  Might add some modelling chain as a improvised reigns. 

IMG_4754-2.jpg.2dd318dd67693aec9c230003e9e7b1ac.jpgIMG_4756-3.jpg.4a08786070d4fb2dc469b4ce90dc6964.jpg

Story time!! (NOT CLICKBAIT) ;) 

Of course it was a trap! Seething Oerl ran trough the woods, thirty or so warriors at his back. After three nights of drunken debauchery the mysterious women finally revealed their true intention! In a explosion of violence and bloodshed the visitors turned from sensual women to bloodthirsty daemon folk! 

Luckily Oerl and some of his brothers had felt uneasy. Sometimes the spell seamed to break and a daemonic image replaced the beautiful visage. For just a second their true nature was revealed only to disappear so fast you started to doubt your own eyes. 

During excess of violence Oerl had rallied those loyal to him and escaped. The last he saw of the battle was Bran calling him a coward only to be run through with a claw seconds later. Now they were on the run. Not to flee but to call upon an ancient warrior. The one who most blessed by the bear god… 

Suddenly a war machine crashed through the undergrowth and ran through their lines. Limbs were sent flying while the warriors on the platform whooped and hollered. Even while Oerl commanded his clan members to get off the path and into the thicker forest he wondered how in the bears name the invaders managed to train the fire lizards! Everybody knew that was impossible….

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 3

Such a good model to paint. My paint job definitely doesn't do the sculpt justice. Also for some reason the varnish left little dots. Does anybody have any clue how that can happen? Didn't see it on models before or after :S 

As this whole project is about just the fun of painting and building. Getting to paint the albion campaign sorcerer was amazing. Absolutely loved everything about that campaign. Really hope they upcoming Heralds will fulfil a similar function. 

IMG_4748-1.jpg.293d4baca79293d7dcfa084ecfbfc04d.jpg

The adventures of Oerl continue. The second to last chapter. 

It was morning by the time they reached the cave of the legendary bear warrior. Progress had been slow. Not only did they have to avoid the paths as the chariots of the invaders couldn’t be far behind, they had become aware of a strange presence. Someone clothed in black, only visible from the corners of your eyes and never did two people see him at the same time. 

It put his whole party on edge and as such they made a slow, cautious trek up the mountain with their axes and shields at the ready.
Spreading out while approaching the cave they caught their first good look of their stalker. An ancient man, hunched over ,all dressed in black exited the cave. As he stepped outside he stared straight at Oerl, his face hidden behind cloth. Emotion hidden but an evil presence rolled of him, petrifying Oerl and his warriors. 

As the old man strolled away, the legendary warrior revealed himself from within the shadows of the cave. Yawning, he sauntered out, nonchalantly carrying a massive banner over his shoulder. With the biggest pelt, Oerl had ever seen. This must be the bear, the warrior killed with his bare hands to earn his reputation. He was warrior in peak physical condition and behaved himself like that. Without acknowledging Oerl’s warriors he strolled past them, the warband spellbound to follow them. ‘No, not spellbound’, Oerl thought, ‘this is charisma’…

• Like 2