The Golden Orb tribe - a Spiderfang WIP

Chunk

Alright, I'm back from my game and have learned a lot about my army!

So, the game itself: Pitched Battle, 1000pts, I took the army above. My opponent took an Ironjawz list that looked like this:

Megaboss (w. Battle Brew)

Warchanter

2 x 5 Brutes

10 Ardboyz

3 Gore Gruntas

The brutes, Ardboyz, and Gore Gruntas were in an Ironfist. This meant that I got a roll on the Triumph table (yay!) but I forgot about it (d'oh!)

We played Take and Hold, but that ended up not meaning a whole lot. The game ended without either of us holding both objectives, so it came down to kill points. I had 500 at the end, but my opponent had 580! Victory to the Ironjawz!

Lessons I learned:
 - Ironjawz are deceptively quick, thanks to the Destruction trait + the Ironfist bonus.
 - My Big Boss should never be on the front lines. He's alright, but he's definitely a support character rather than a beatstick.
 - Arachnaroks when buffed with Battle Brew and Gift of the Spider God are freakin' crazy in combat, but you've gotta roll those 5s. 
 - I should keep the army closer together so I can maintain synergies better. I lost my Big Boss due to poor placement and moving him up too far, and I put my Arachnarok on the flank for some reason. Both were mistakes. 

But it was still a close game! We're both still learning, so it was a great experience all round. Next time I hope to play a bit better.

4 hours ago, Chunk said:

- Ironjawz are deceptively quick, thanks to the Destruction trait + the Ironfist bonus.
 - My Big Boss should never be on the front lines. He's alright, but he's definitely a support character rather than a beatstick.
 - Arachnaroks when buffed with Battle Brew and Gift of the Spider God are freakin' crazy in combat, but you've gotta roll those 5s. 
 - I should keep the army closer together so I can maintain synergies better. I lost my Big Boss due to poor placement and moving him up too far, and I put my Arachnarok on the flank for some reason. Both were mistakes. 

But it was still a close game! We're both still learning, so it was a great experience all round. Next time I hope to play a bit better.

Well done for breaking out the spiderfang! And first thing you do is stick it to the big man! Tired of the orruk overlords?

But hitting mortal wounds on 5's after battlebrew?

Battlebrew on arachnarok, didn't you do the double sip? This way he would do mortal wounds on 4s! If arachnarok was inside of 8" of big boss as well he'd do mortal wounds on on 3s! (This can even be done in an mixed destructio  army with only arachnarok and no other spider riders/spiderboss, by giving arachnarok battlebrew as well as bellowing tyrant)...

So hitting d3 mortal wounds on 3s and doubling them because of shamans spell. That's a potential 24 mortal wounds in one go. Ouch!

23 hours ago, Teletomas said:

Well done for breaking out the spiderfang! And first thing you do is stick it to the big man! Tired of the orruk overlords?

But hitting mortal wounds on 5's after battlebrew?

Battlebrew on arachnarok, didn't you do the double sip? This way he would do mortal wounds on 4s! If arachnarok was inside of 8" of big boss as well he'd do mortal wounds on on 3s! (This can even be done in an mixed destructio  army with only arachnarok and no other spider riders/spiderboss, by giving arachnarok battlebrew as well as bellowing tyrant)...

So hitting d3 mortal wounds on 3s and doubling them because of shamans spell. That's a potential 24 mortal wounds in one go. Ouch!

I only did the single sip! Mainly because I am a cowardly sort (I play goblins, after all) and didn't like the idea of taking mortal wounds every turn, but maybe I should've risked it for the biscuit!

The 5s was  because of my tactical incompetence/inexperience - my Big Boss was dead, so I couldn't get the extra bonus. I should've double-sipped though, my rolling was fairly appalling and getting the double poison on 4s would've been ace.

I have instilled in my friend a thorough fear of Arachnaroks though, and isn't that in the end really the point?

Next time it'll be different though! I'll double-dip on the Brew and go to town on...various things.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, everyone!

My dice arrived! I can't wait to roll poison attacks with the Mork dice, it just seems...right.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on the Mob recently, having just started a new job. I want to get them tucked away before Kharadron Overlords come out though, I reckon I'll start a similar plog over on the Order section once that happens. 

Dice pic.jpg

10 hours ago, Jgroover said:

Where did you get the cav bases for the riders? I haven't been able to find them anywhere cheaper than straight through GW, but am not thrilled at the idea of paying that much to rebase 30 riders.

This isn't gonna help, but I bought mine from GW. In Australia they're 5 for $7, so you can work out how much that would cost. Plus the 130mm round bases!

What you could do is cut a bunch from 2mm/3mm MDF, maybe bevel the edges a bit, that'd be more effort but cost a lot less.

• 4 months later...
On 8/24/2017 at 11:03 PM, Congratz said:

@Chunk May i ask how you painted the blue/purple spider ? :)

I really like the Albino spiders they look amazin

Keep up the great work :o, its great to see more grots (sadly not moonclan grots ;))

Thank you!

I painted the blue/purple one thusly:

Chitin/carapace: Basecoat of incubi darkness, wash of druchii violet, drybrush incubi darkness, edge highlight thunderhawk blue

Fleshy awful bits: Daemonette hide basecoat, wash of druchii violet, drybrush daemonette hide, drybrush genestealer purple

Pincers, fangs, spines: Basecoat of dawnstone, recess wash of nuln oil, layer of dawnstone, layer (just the tips and edges) administratum grey.

Hope this helps!

I'm gonna start working on these fellas again with the new GH out, now I can include a few other models without losing allegiance! I have my eye on some trolls...

Borderline threadomancy here....but I'm pleased for it! Somehow I'd never looked at this thread when it was first around. Great work @Chunk, this is a super cool army! Love it.

Would love to see Spiderfang expanded. I used to love the old Forest Goblins back in the day.

Anyway, as people have started posted in your thread again you are now duty-bound to provide us with more updates and photos! ;) 

Archived