Warscrolls, Models, Keywords, Units, and how they work. Interpretation.

1 hour ago, Mossback said:

I think the first rule of one would effectively keep your ten pink horrors from blasting off ten arcane bolts in a matched play game.

True but the problem is not the arcane bolt. Let's say you run 80 pink horrors and 4 units of tzaangors, the tzaangor's banners would blast 160 mortal wounds 18" inches in the each hero phase. I am sure you could make a list to beat it but now we aren't really playing warhammer IMO. 

It's the same discussion as the "could Kairos change the screaming bell roll to 13 so I win without playing the game" question that existed when AOS was released. The question was really do we want to play a game or not? I think the same apply here.

FWIW someone apparently asked GW this question on their facebook group or via a Facebook message (I am not sure).  The answer they gave was they count as only one model for purposes of the banner.  However, seeing as it was in a message and not an "official" FAQ, the discussion will continue.

4 hours ago, Andreas said:

This is really a discussion if there is such thing as common sense,

There isn't.  Too many factors influence individual and cultural bias for such a thing to exist. 

Problem is, each individual only sees their own culture and themselves in that culture, so he or she thinks that their sense of things must be the common one.

I just see the whole core of this argument (which I believe is 'models are represented by warscrolls and units are made up of models') as models and a unit of models are both represented by one warscroll.

I mean, that's how it's played.

I have a warscroll to represent my unit of 5 models. When there are 3 it is still the same warscroll and so on down to the last model.

I've been drawn more and more to pernickity keyword and phrasing and interpretations for a while, prob a result of GHB, and it is starting to bore me.

The single and only value to this conversation is that people come to the conclusion that sense prevails over interpretations that lead to grammatic quirks, keywords and phrases becoming all powerful weapons.

Down with age of grammarcraft.

53 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

There isn't.  Too many factors influence individual and cultural bias for such a thing to exist. 

Problem is, each individual only sees their own culture and themselves in that culture, so he or she thinks that their sense of things must be the common one.

And that's the discussion. ☺️

Until GW re-FAQs The keyword issue, questions like this will continue to come up. RAW and RAI people will never agree and, frankly, shouldn't even be put in the position of arguing something so basic as what a keyword or battalion entry means.

The way I see it (read the warscroll) is that the unit itself counts as one wizard, regardless of model count and the Wizard keyword is there to show that the unit can cast/unbind one spell per turn. Hence why it states a unit of horrors can cast a spell and not A pink horror is a wizard.

Each horror counts as a wizard in the sense that a unit of 10 horrors can be reduced to 1 horror and still attempt to cast/unbind once. Basically it allows the unit to cast/unbind one spell per turn, regardless of how many horrors remain in the unit but an individual horror is not a wizard.

Another way to look at it is this way: Why are base daemons of Tzeentch out-casting Greater Daemons of Tzeentch? Sorry if this post comes off as kinda aggressive, but the idea of 'each horror can cast a spell' feels awfully gamey/beardy/cheesy.

I'm sure it applies to the unit. For example, Warlock jezzails have the artillery role and come 3 in a minimum unit size. If each model counted as Artillery it would be pretty ridiculous. Especially since the new long-range Stormcast are have almost the same rules but have better bravery, better saves, better to-hit and lack the Artillery role for just 40 points more.

9 minutes ago, Vaeron said:

I'm sure it applies to the unit. For example, Warlock jezzails have the artillery role and come 3 in a minimum unit size. If each model counted as Artillery it would be pretty ridiculous. 

I used to think that's how it would work (multiple artillery units, that is) until I was reminded that Battleline doesn't work that way. So I agree with your assessment that the keywords and similar characteristics apply to the unit, not per model. 

Archived