What about wandere?

Axter

I think anything can be played in a mono way, and at least wanderers have a decent melee unit (Eternal Guard) and plenty of above average shooting units. Might not be the most tanky, but definately capable of fighting everything.

As for there own battletome. I find it very unlikely any time in the next 2 years given what they have rumoured recently and because another 'new' faction of elves is likely to be the first thing out there.

• 1 month later...

They are avoidance with a good monster hunter unit and a good spell (thorn), for eternal guard. I've seen Kurnoth Hunters added to give a bit better range and durability.

Generally they are fine but tricky and clearly not Sylvaneth [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1-3-2017 at 0:21 PM, Nubgan said:

I think anything can be played in a mono way, and at least wanderers have a decent melee unit (Eternal Guard) and plenty of above average shooting units. Might not be the most tanky, but definately capable of fighting everything.

As for there own battletome. I find it very unlikely any time in the next 2 years given what they have rumoured recently and because another 'new' faction of elves is likely to be the first thing out there.

I think they are subpar to armies with a codex if only because they where (at best) sort of balanced before those armies got stronger allegiance abilities and extra prayers, spells and better warscroll batallions. 

agree it's very likely they'll do a whole new Aelven army.. however a release with just an army book is possible for wanderers since (as opposed to the rest of the aelven factions)  they are an actual army instead of some loose units. I'd love a warscroll that really let me mix my wanderers and Sylvaneth somewhat 50-50 and still allow me the sylvaneth stuff (or similar WE sstuff).

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I think they are subpar to armies with a codex if only because they where (at best) sort of balanced before those armies got stronger allegiance abilities and extra prayers, spells and better warscroll batallions. 

agree it's very likely they'll do a whole new Aelven army.. however a release with just an army book is possible for wanderers since (as opposed to the rest of the aelven factions)  they are an actual army instead of some loose units. I'd love a warscroll that really let me mix my wanderers and Sylvaneth somewhat 50-50 and still allow me the sylvaneth stuff (or similar WE sstuff).

Wanderers if GW want to keep them around would be my top pick to get a Battletome. They have a large variety of both units and characters, mostly in plastic. I'd say if they managed to get another plastic kit (say bring back Wardancers), they'd be fine.

I think the only possible problem they might have is that they're a bit too much generic Fantasy. GW seem to be sticking away from generic Fantasy for their armies they've been bringing properly into the mortal realms. I actually think it's a good thing, as some people like myself prefer more typical Fantasy elements and it'll bring different people into the game.

This year I think would be a good year to bring them into the Mortal Realms though. Now that the the Realmgate Wars have concluded, and the Season of War is over, GW can explore the Wanderers throughout the realms, and in particular, their relationship with the Realm of Life, Sylvaneth, and Alarielle.

Run this:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Glade Lord (100)
- Kindred Blade & Starlight Spear
Glade Lord (100)
Glade Lord (100)
Glade Lord (100)
Shadowdancer (100)
Spellweaver on Purebred Steed (120)

Battleline
6 x Waywatchers (160)
6 x Waywatchers (160)
6 x Waywatchers (160)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (200)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (200)
6 x Waywatchers (160)

Units
3 x Warhawk Riders (120)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Total: 2000/2000

Four hail of doom arrows. Reroll ones to hit. Auto dispel from spellweaver and model replacement. Shadowdancer spell on rangers. Rinse. Repeat. 

I had a lot of fun with wanderers for the first year. Don't be sucked in by the new stuff or battalion. Compendium is where it's at!

The sisters spell without eternal guard seems suboptimal, also no rinse and repeat for hoda.

Are waywatchers better than glade guard for the points? Few wounds, hardly better shooting ( worse if you shoot with 20 gg) , no bodkins. 

Somebody was recently interviewed on one of the podcasts for a mixed order list that won a tournament, that spammed the Waywatcher hero. I looked again at the warscroll and yes it is fantastic. He was running them with the celestial hurricanum for buffs, and lots of kurnoth hunters with bows. He also took the waywatcher troops but only for the cheap battle line not because he rated them highly. For a thematic list I really like Waystone Pathfinders but no idea if it could compete at a high level.

Maybe there's a list built around 6 Waywatcher heros, sisters of thorn and huge blocks of eternal guard and glade guard? Wouldn't be as much fun as the variety you get from pathfinders though

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Rangers aren't really worth the points except against monsters. And when I do the math gg still seem about as good as ww, better when ww get targeted and damage out put drops quickly. 

Rangers one shot archaon for 200 points. In 5/5 games I've played against him. That's why I run them and they worked really well for me for the first two years. Maybe they're less good under GHB due to pointing to be fair. And a lot had changed. But pretty much this list won clash when AoS came out. 

8 minutes ago, Iain said:

Somebody was recently interviewed on one of the podcasts for a mixed order list that won a tournament, that spammed the Waywatcher hero. I looked again at the warscroll and yes it is fantastic. He was running them with the celestial hurricanum for buffs, and lots of kurnoth hunters with bows. He also took the waywatcher troops but only for the cheap battle line not because he rated them highly. For a thematic list I really like Waystone Pathfinders but no idea if it could compete at a high level.

Maybe there's a list built around 6 Waywatcher heros, sisters of thorn and huge blocks of eternal guard and glade guard? Wouldn't be as much fun as the variety you get from pathfinders though

Alex something. He won Sheffield slaughter and Alliance, afaik. 

Also had skinks and fulminators. 

Because making lists is fun:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)

Battleline
30 x Glade Guard (360)
30 x Glade Guard (360)
3 x Waywatchers (80)

Units
30 x Eternal Guard (240)
30 x Eternal Guard (240)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Total: 2000/2000

On 4/5/2017 at 2:23 PM, Aezeal said:

Rangers aren't really worth the points except against monsters. And when I do the math gg still seem about as good as ww, better when ww get targeted and damage out put drops quickly. 

That plain isn't true.  Rangers are always good.  A single WW hero can have 9 shots with a Hurricanum and is more resilient being a 3+ in cover.  

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

That plain isn't true.  Rangers are always good.  A single WW hero can have 9 shots with a Hurricanum and is more resilient being a 3+ in cover.  

Rangers are not going to do equal damage to 20 regular spear guys  (EG, dreadspears) against most opponents in my mind at least.

When I say ww I actually meant the compendium troops (3 for 80 points) but a WW + hurricanum is also 440 points.. and not 100 :D.

I must say I can see 4 WW (hero), hurricanum, loremaster and  few reaper boltthrowers being a nice thing together.

Just now, Aezeal said:

Rangers are not going to do equal damage to 20 regular spear guys  (EG, dreadspears) against most opponents in my mind at least.

EG are amazing as a tank and they do well with a Glade Lord and the +1dmg on his spear behind them.  But they haven't really had huge dmg output.  It's fine.  It just makes them static and you're archery protector.  I assume you are correct about dreadspears cause I don't own any.

But Rangers are mobile!, are 2A 3+/3+.  I've never stood still with my Rangers.  Large games they pair so well with a Forest Dragon and small games a Spellweaver on a steed.  

What is the clue about Eternal Guard? I mean yes it have a lot of buffs, but stil 5+ save. Any rend -2 will shut down his entire save.

If I need a sacrifical screen I'll take Wardancer. If I need a strong iron unit, EG are not. Plus, they have A LOT of conditions (no move, stay in cover..).

I don't really like them.

41 minutes ago, Iain said:

War dancers are 60pts for 5 models, no? Eternal Guard seem like better screening unit

oooooooooooooh........

ooooh....

5 models. Damn, I must read better those Wanderers 

6 hours ago, Cerve said:

What is the clue about Eternal Guard? I mean yes it have a lot of buffs, but stil 5+ save. Any rend -2 will shut down his entire save.

If I need a sacrifical screen I'll take Wardancer. If I need a strong iron unit, EG are not. Plus, they have A LOT of conditions (no move, stay in cover..).

I don't really like them.

EG seem to me like they need to be played as a defensive static unit. Defend an objectI've,  defend archers. Put them somewhere, perferably in cover and they'll last better than most units at the point cost. 3+ reroll 1 and 2 is pretty durable. Sure rend 2 will hurt them... but rend 2 will hurt anything.

Then the fact they have an average which get + 1 from several sources is a good thing if you consider the shield of thorns spell (sisters of the thorn, same faction).

Their attacks are not good but when not moving they get a significant buff (nearly doubles damage) on their range 2 spears (attack in 3 row when on old 2 mm squares, lowers numbers that could hit them, and helps when being in cover since that can really ****** with the number of guys that can hit).

And 10 wounds for 80 points is relatively low. 

Also unlike a lot of other RnF troops you don't need 20 to unlock max potential (and they won't loose it after getting a wound), 2x10 can be used more flexible than 1x 20.

Archived