First try at a Bloodbound list - 1000pts

Lardidar

Hey all, as some of you may know I'm new back to the hobby after a long break and I was just wondering if you could give some advice on my first list.

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Skullgrinder (80)

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200) (fists and glaive on champ)
10 x Bloodreavers (60) (axes)

Units
3 x Khorgoraths (240)

Battalions
Goreblade Warband (60)

So...do I have enough miniatures to complete objectives? I could swap out a Korgorath or the skullgrinder for another 10 reavers.

What about command trait and items?....it's hard to not want an extra attack on the lord and grinder but I may well be missing something fantastic.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'd say it's a decent list and I really like the Goreblade Warband. I've struggled with coming up with a Bloodbound list at 1,000 points that I feel good about. KBB can hold their own in a melee fight but you'd likely struggle against shooting or horde armies. I'd say it depends on the objectives and your local area. The competitive scene seems to be focused on hordes or really punchy elite armies. 

I'd say try it out a few times and see how you do. Ultimately though, it should depend on how much fun you have playing it. :)

I am no expert but from the games I have with my BB my slaughterpriest had been invaluable. He has an 18 inch blood boil prayer and can pull units towards you. If you pick up gorechosen game you get him plus 3 other heros, all of whom are interesting at the 1k level. Aspiring death ringer as general (+1 attack) plus an exalted next to him (extra 2 attacks as leiutenant) is an interesting option to explore at 1k. Two bloodsecrarors is also good as they are a target and the army relies on him so much.

10 reavers will fold fast, I have 25 and they can be destroyed in a turn or two, I much prefer the blood warriors - I have 8 with fist and no glacier yet and they more than repay me. although you need the reavers for the warband and they will activate the khorne cares not when they ultimately take a dirt nap. See how the reavers do before swapping.

an alternative to khorgoraths is to swap for mounted chaos warriors which will add some speed. But I would see how the khorhorath do first, a unit of them is quite dangerous.

For what it is worth, I am currently exploring having a Deamon prince with my bb (although he may not be worth it at 1k). I am also eyeing up the khorne start collecting box and/or mountedslaves to darkness. Wrathmongrrs should be considered over khorgoraths, they are beasts nice attack buff plus you get to make the enemy attack themselves.

Sorry it is not much specific advice, but some food for thought and areas to consider.

In my experience Reavers don't stick around long enough to be useful. Maybe they can hold a backline objective in some scenarios as your army moves up, but other than that they really won't do much. If you take them I'd suggest the meatripper axes, and that you never ever let them outside the bloodsecrators 18" bubble. 

as  Praecautus said, Slaughterpriests are pretty amazing (though I believe they are range 16"?), doing mortal wounds is always good, I'm gonna try using two of them in my next game. Their other prayer can get units off objectives too which can be great, or just get them into your charge range.

Do let me know how 3 Korgoraths work out, I only have one and he's not doing much, but I'm thinking 3 could do some damage and stick around a bit. :)

For me the Daemon Prince isn't worth the pts, at least not in 1k. And at the 2k game I played he got to swing once (and did nothing). Khorne Bloodletters on the other hand marry very well with KBB, they can get extra attacks from the bloodsecrator, the dark avenger command trait can really buff them against order as well, and the chaos alliegance ability fits them like a glove too. With some luck/planning they can do mortal wounds on a 4+, hitting on 3+/2+ with 2-3 attacks each. That will melt most things that rely on good saves. A blob of 20 is good enough, and 10 will do nicely at 1k. Also, they are battleline. I take them over my Reavers 100% of the time. 
I got the start collecting Khorne Daemons box, the skull cannon is kinda fun too, it's a bit hit or miss, but with the potential to do a lot of damage, and it can fight in close combat well enough too. Skullcrushers/bloodcrushers (juggernaught riders) are really 'meh' though, the leader variants are sort of interesting tho', especially the KBB one, because of his command ability and general toughness.

That's how you tell I'm a 7th ed player...I never even considered that I could go outside my army and pick up some units of daemons. I will use the app and have a look at chaos as a whole. Thanks for giving me something to think on.

Any advice on magic items? Is anything far and away better...I keep going back to +1 attack with the D3 wound axe it looks worth it.

Just bear in mind if Bloodbound gets a new battletome you probably won't have access to their alliegance stuff if you go outside of Khorne units, or even possibly Bloodbound units. I'm not completely sure how the Tzeentch book handled it.

I like the chaos talisman or the runeblade personally, sort of depends on what I'm facing and what leaders I have. And some stuff works better against Order. 

17 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Instead of bloodreavers have you thought about using them as khorne marked chaos marauders?  I'm working on a mob of 40 right now... that should see me through till christmas at the rate I build and paint!

That's not a bad idea, Same points value, basically the same stats, but with a 6+ save that can go to a 5+ with a shield, a nice 4+ chance to get +1 to hit as well as +1 to wound on a 6, Mark of Khorne, musician does the same, one banner gives the rerolling 1's that dual weapons would give reavers and the other banner is the same as the one the reavers got. So you basically lose the extra attack from being near a totem and the option to take meatripper axes (-1 rend), but gain some potential buffs to hit/wound and a 5+ save.... Interesting! 

58 minutes ago, Lardidar said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a think...a bit of me wants to stay bloodbound but I think that's not the way AoS works.

@Soulsmith thanks, the guys offered to do 1k demo's when the army is ready..I'll see if your up for a game too.

it will probably feel more viable when they get more units and an updated battletome :)

Archived