Help with beastmen/ new to AOS

jangotat

So I am interested in getting into Age of Sigmar. i had some beastmen given to me and like the look of the models. The problem is I dont know how much they will be supported as an army or if they will be squated. As a result I want to keep the army kind of small/ allied force to something else. Thinking of going with Skaven as I like the look of those models and the Spire of Dawn set seems to be a good start for them.

When it comes to what I have so far it includes.
10 gors with shields 
10 gors dual wield 
20 warhounds 
8 ungors with spears with 2 left over gors as a banner bearer and horn blower.

I want to stick with the bray-herd. Wondering what I could add to make this force more viable/useful without breaking the bank. Im thinking of keep the overall army at about 1000 points which may include the skaven from Spire of Dawn.

Also...do Gors even compliment the Skaven well from that set?

I've just moved this to the right section.

5 hours ago, jangotat said:

So I am interested in getting into Age of Sigmar. i had some beastmen given to me and like the look of the models. The problem is I dont know how much they will be supported as an army or if they will be squated.

It's a tough question really as the game is still really new and the universe it sits in is massive so anything could happen. Personally I think you will be fine because even if they choose to stop making the models (which could be years and years away), there will still be rules to use them.

As for list Ideas, I think you have a good core. The thing Beastmen struggle with is long range support and needing to hit a bit harder. You can get round this with some of the new Tzeentch Tzaangor releases (so core Tzaangor unit supported by some Skyfires and a shaman) and then you keep the rest of your units as beastmen. So something like...

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman 
Beastlord 
- Man Ripper Axe & Brayshield

Battleline
10 x Tzaangors 
10 x Gors 
- Gor Blade & Beastshield
10 x Gors 
- Gor Blade & Beastshield
10 x Ungors 
- Ungor Mauls & Half Shields
10 x Ungors 
- Ungor Mauls & Half Shields

Units
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires

Total: 980/1000

I made the list on www.scrollbuilder.com

But this is something to give you some ideas what to do. Personally I would have the Tzaangor unit bigger but at 1000 points you can probably get away with 10. It's down to how you want to play and what you want to do.

Hey - I'm just starting out on Brayherd too! I haven't played them yet, but from what I understand they're all about bodies on the table. Overwhelm your enemy purely with numbers, moreso than any other faction.

So, for 1000pts, take a look at the Furious Brayherd battalion (in the compendium - though still legal according to the recent FAQ) - 3x Gors, 1x Ungors, 1x Bestigors, 1x Beastlord, 1x Shaman. Really easy to fill out, malleable to a degree (in terms of unit sizes), and a good buff. I'm thinking a unit of 20 Besties with the shaman riding up behind, mystic shielding them - 3+ save, 3 attacks. I'm trying it out, alongside some Chaos Dwarf ranged to balance both armies out a bit.

I'm a long time Beastman player, it is still my only army in the Warhammer world, as it is by far the coolest :D

Get bodies, this army gets better the larger the games you play. 

Most of the things to consider with these guys have been mentioned, aside from minotaurs. A tough unit to use, a real glass hammer, but well worth considering if you get good at screening.

Ungor raiders in 30 man units are awesome, I take 60 with me. They will win you games.

Would you consider going over 1000 points? I'm on a 3k game tomorrow with my friend, and I can attest that this army is built for mega games, it gets stupidly fun if you break out of the 2k mind block and push higher. Multiple 30 man goat death stars are the way to go. Gors get crazy good in 30 man units if you inspiring presence them. Bestigors in 30 man units are ridiculous. 

If your local clubs allow it, get a BSB and Gorthor if you want to be competitive, these two models will guarantee you victories. It's a bit cheesy though, you will probably get a bit sick of winning with them after a while, and Gorthor can be pretty tough to get a hold of.

Beastmen have the coolest monsters in the game, get a Jabberslyth and screw with someone who doesn't know it's rules. Or a Warherd contingent to back your glorious goats, because who doesn't like Ghorgons and Cygors? Nobody who doesn't want to get eaten by one.

Nice, I am liking the feedback. So are going with shields better then the dual weapon kits? 

I def want to get some raiders since I like the idea of having some cheap ranged attack to help my gors in battle.

And tbh I am thinking of sticking to 1000 if only because I have a lot of 40k stuff that I still need to build/paint so I dont want to jump in and buy a big army to add to it. So I am thinking of painting everything I have at the moment and just slowly build up a beastmen army until I get to 1000 pts. Play some games and then go from there.

4 hours ago, jangotat said:

Nice, I am liking the feedback. So are going with shields better then the dual weapon kits? 

I def want to get some raiders since I like the idea of having some cheap ranged attack to help my gors in battle.

And tbh I am thinking of sticking to 1000 if only because I have a lot of 40k stuff that I still need to build/paint so I dont want to jump in and buy a big army to add to it. So I am thinking of painting everything I have at the moment and just slowly build up a beastmen army until I get to 1000 pts. Play some games and then go from there.

Fair enough, I for one have a similar attitude towards models, it's rubbish when you are overwhelmed with projects. Do you find that the more you have to do, the less you get done? And then you just start buying kits for the sake of it and end up broke...

There's a bit more strategy to Brayherd than meats the eye, and a good place for both shieldigors and wieldigors.

Raiders are especially useful, in large units they can smash monsters off the board, but the small 10 man units getting the fast run and shoot in work brilliantly as a screening tactic. Goad the charge with 10 man ungor raider units, get some shots in on whatever it is you are luring and then charge your wieldigors in with a +1 to hit and mop up the unit. This also works really well with chaos warhounds, as the warhounds model is small enough for the raiders to shoot over, and fast enough to keep up with the raiders, you can screen your screen, and still keep the powerful units (minotaurs) in your army intact if you are unlucky and get double turned.

Shieldigors I find are effective ambushers, with their slightly higher save they can operate independently from the rest of the army, and make good objective takers. Take 20 with a mystic shield and they can make a tarpit for a turn or two, while something more killy can come in and save the day.  Never underestimate how much damage gors can kick out as well, if you get the 3 attacks on the go and a good setup, they can bring down some pretty formidable prey.

I find a big downside of Beastmen is the lack of rend, true Bestigors and chariots can rend, but if you are up against a death army or something that has lots of armour you're going to have a tough time. This is why I like the strength in numbers strategy, just pack enough guys that you just swarm objectives and it won't matter. They can't kill everyone, right?

Minotaurs are probably the best answer for this, but they are difficult to play, their 5+ save makes them fairly squishy, and anyone with any sense can work out quite quickly that a hulking wall of beef carrying an axe twice the size of a man is probably going to do alot of damage. They become a high priority target. If you can pull it off and get them into combat intact though, the minotaurs are one of the hardest hitting things I've come across in the game, especially if you take a doombull too.

When you get round to making ungors, do spears. Ungor spearmen at the back of a gor or bestigor unit can give just enough power to finish something off, and make for a really solid defence. Your opponent won't pay them much attention as they are so weak, but in my year and a half of playing Beastmen since the release of AOS, they have been without a doubt my star units. By turn 4 or 5, everything else might be dead, but having an ungor unit at full strength left on the board can win you games. They can finish off that big nasty monster, go claim an objective, or just hold the one you have. Never underestimate your ungors, your opponent will, but they probably won't pay attention to their damage over the course of the game.

One more thing to add, (apologies to anyone who is sick of all of this text now, but I really do love talking about Beastmen), is try to take double heroes if you are running the brayherd formations. Double Beastlord is probably a good idea for armies that are 1k points, if your Brayherd leader goes down and he is your general, then you have probably lost the game. It's only 5 wounds with a 4+ save, if you arn't careful they will get sniped. In larger games it's worth considering a doombull as your general, because it can take a bit more of a pasting with it's 8 wounds, and is likely to divert attention away from your beastlord.

There are alot of tactics with the Beastmen, you really do have to work hard for your victories, but if you play alot of games with them it soon becomes clear what works and what doesn't. One thing that surprised me is just how wrong my conceptions were about the war scrolls themselves, just reading the scrolls is nowhere near enough, although alot of people do love writing lists, especially on this forum, but just looking at the scrolls and coming up with something is next to useless if you arn't putting solid time in on the table. Going balls deep with Bestigors might seem like a great idea at first, especially on paper, but it's how you play with your gors and ungors that makes the difference. 

For me it's all about the Gors (2x20) and Ungor Raiders (1x30) at the moment, usually playing 1-1,2k games.

I always take Bestigors, but most of the time they are not so good, they are not bad, but they die too easy for 140points; 1 wound with 4+ save is not enough.

I'm winning games, since I'm taking Gorthor, his +1 hit bubble is ace and you need it. 30 raiders hitting on 3+ with rerolling 1&2s and wounding on 4+ is nice, really taking units of the table. Afterwords the gors coming in with the anarchy ability and hitting 3+; wounding 3+ (with BSB 2+).

Really good, buuuut everything dies really fast (everything can kill gors/ungors), use the fast movement to control the table and don't start to many fights at once, a goat has no shame and can leave the fight, if it's loosing.

(image shows 1200 points of goats ?)

IMG_0438.JPG

Edit: leave the hounds, they have no role to fill, goats a faster and cheaper - it's a shame, but under the current rules they are just bad.

5 hours ago, Dolomedes said:

Fair enough, I for one have a similar attitude towards models, it's rubbish when you are overwhelmed with projects. Do you find that the more you have to do, the less you get done? And then you just start buying kits for the sake of it and end up broke...

Yea that happens to me. Haha. I was good when i started, only buying new kits after finishing current projects but then the board games and bundle deals happened and now i got a backlog to work on.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about the comment of a Doombull as the general and building an army off that. Would it be worth trying the Minotaur formation with 3 man Bullgors to get to 1000 points then adding 1500 of Brayherd units and support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived