Wanderers........ARE GOOD!!!

Dracothjay

7 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Personally, I'm hesitant to add hurricanum to -anything-

It's just such a uninspiring way to fix/boost armies :P no offense to people using it, of course. I'm hating on the unit, not the playa ;)

Well depending on your opponents and your army you might need it to play on a level field.. I mean.. I see it as the equivalent of allegiance abilities and other stuff that armies with new books have. 

19 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Yeah wanderers need either new models with big buffs (I mean.. the frigging khemist... his permanent AND STACKABLE ability is better than all our command abilities)  or a few point drops.

That sums it all up perfectly.  

18 hours ago, Mayple said:

Personally, I'm hesitant to add hurricanum to -anything-

Yes,. but that could be cause it is used widely?  I don't disagree but I don't agree cause I kinda see both sides.  I think it is a valid part of the meta which may just become boring to see over time.

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Yes,. but that could be cause it is used widely?  I don't disagree but I don't agree cause I kinda see both sides.  I think it is a valid part of the meta which may just become boring to see over time.

Pretty much, yeah. At least on the surface. I'm sort of on the spot where I feel people are adding hurricanum to lists to make the lists viable at something they often weren't designed to be great at. Hurricanum works really well with rank-and-file type of playstyle armies like freeguild/stormcast - but forces other armies to poorly emulate that playstyle by adding it. 

Wanderers, for example (to duck back on topic), aren't as able to protect a hurricanum as well as a freeguild army without nudging their run-and-gun/skirmish/tricky playstyle into a more traditional gunline/death star approach, which they don't do equally well, or better than armies who are meant to play like that, even with the addition of the hurricanum. Leaving the wagon behind frees them up to do their own thing more. 

The hurricanum is a good unit, but making a bunch of order sub-factions half decent at gun lining/compact formations only obscures their ability to be decent at anything else ;) fish trying to climb trees just because it was given legs.

Feel free to disagree, I won't bite yerr hand off :) gonna try to not delve more deeply into it though (in this thread), to keep the thread Wanderer focused. 

53 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Has anybody had any luck running a unit of 10 wild Riders, buffed with Mystic Shield & Shield of Thorns?

A unit that NEEDS 2 spells.. (2 seperate mages, at least 300 points) to work... isn't worth the trouble using I'd say but that is just theory I'll admit.

So,.. I"m still torn on Glade Guard.  Mathing them out for the 1st turn alpha strike (because without the -3 rend they are not worth looking at compared to Waywatchers).

30 Glade Guard : 12 wounds

20 Glade Guard : 8

10 Glade Guard : 3

So these involve the Glade Lord/Nomad Prince getting re-rolls of 1s.  Filling your BL with 3 x 10 GG gives you 9 wounds you can chip off.  If you wanted to couple 10 Rangers with the Shadowdancer to remove the biggest threat is that enough?

With Waywatchers the bonus ability and overall improvement in stats, I feel, makes them better in 4/5 turns.

Glade Guard were okay in my games but not brilliant.  I am starting to feel you need the 20 for the +1 to hit.

I would like to hear more in-game experiences from people who use Glade Guard, what they take, their alpha strike use, and rest of the game use.  

I think most troops which get a bonus when in high numbers need those numbers to be worth it. They aren't rank n file troops for nothing.

10 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

If you wanted to couple 10 Rangers with the Shadowdancer to remove the biggest threat is that enough?

I do not understand what you are saying/asking here.

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I understood that. Why is it in your post about the glade guard?

I guess he is considering about doing 9 wounds to a monster with GG, then finish him with the Rangers.

i played my Blades of Khorne list against a mates Wanderers.

My Council of Blood (three bloodthirsters) got whittled to hell. The Glade Guard (3 units of 10) used their once per game bow shot to kill on thirster. He has 3 of the 3d6 once per game shooting heros whoc cobined to wreck another and dent the bloodletter horde. Fortunately i held on to win scenario by a couple but that was really down to poor deployment and scenario play by my opponent. 

Maxing out on the Shooty hero (hail of doom) is great! The nomad prince plucking eyes out of killy heroes is great!

I really wanted a wanderers army myself so might offer to paint his up for him!!

On 5/10/2017 at 11:57 AM, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Has anybody had any luck running a unit of 10 wild Riders, buffed with Mystic Shield & Shield of Thorns?

I heard on Hard 6 Jay and Adam saying they saw potential in 10 WRs as something that can be hard to shift with the 2W.  It was in reference to the Waystone Pathway batallion.  Conga line infront.  Not sure I would do that just saying as two tournament UK gamers I wouldn't say it wasn't worth it, I would look twice and think more.

I see Wild Riders just enough to know you can't dismiss them as useless just lacking or missing the mark.  Either to expensive in points or they really should have rend.

On 5/10/2017 at 0:53 PM, Aezeal said:

A unit that NEEDS 2 spells.. (2 seperate mages, at least 300 points) to work... isn't worth the trouble using I'd say but that is just theory I'll admit.

Granted that's Eternal Guard which everyone says is worth it then.  

I think in general people don't count Mystic Shield as a tax in any way nor having the caster (who can also heal).  And I doubt anyone has an issue with taking sisters of the thorn.  

This example is just shifting the static EG to a mobile one.

So I've been looking at the Waystone Pathways formation lately with interest as either maximizing the double shoot for a deadly alpha strike or just, how to deploy as one drop/with ambush possibly

Generally hero wise I think people are in consensus of 3 Hail of Doom arrows or 3 Waywatcher Heroes.

I was looking at taking 3 Wildwood Rangers for Battle Line thus using the Wayfinder as my general.  The +1 Bravery is okay for Rangers and the alpha of the Hail of Doom is nice but overall I think the Waywatcher is better.

3 Wayfinders first turn will drop the 3 x 3D6 shots followed by the Batallion's ability to shoot again (3 shots each).  The 3 Hail of Dooms will be about 14 wounds and then 4.6~ more from the second round of shooting.  19 wounds at -1.  In subsequent turns the Wayfinders do about 4.6 wounds.

3 Waywatchers is 11.6 wounds from double shooting which is 23 wounds from the second round of shooting from the battalion.  In subsequent round the WWs still do about 11.6 wounds.

I feel the Waywatcher hero has a better command ability and it also has 2" more on the range of his bow which I didn't notice.  And hits on +1 stationary (the range helps here).  The only benefit the Wayfinder has is Rangers as Battle Line are better than Sisters of the Watch. 

I would probably take 20 GG and 2 x 10 Rangers for BL and then,.. I dunno what the 4th slot in the Batallion could be.  10 EG would be okay, 20 better.

15 hours ago, Popisdead said:

So I've been looking at the Waystone Pathways formation lately with interest as either maximizing the double shoot for a deadly alpha strike or just, how to deploy as one drop/with ambush possibly

Generally hero wise I think people are in consensus of 3 Hail of Doom arrows or 3 Waywatcher Heroes.

I was looking at taking 3 Wildwood Rangers for Battle Line thus using the Wayfinder as my general.  The +1 Bravery is okay for Rangers and the alpha of the Hail of Doom is nice but overall I think the Waywatcher is better.

3 Wayfinders first turn will drop the 3 x 3D6 shots followed by the Batallion's ability to shoot again (3 shots each).  The 3 Hail of Dooms will be about 14 wounds and then 4.6~ more from the second round of shooting.  19 wounds at -1.  In subsequent turns the Wayfinders do about 4.6 wounds.

3 Waywatchers is 11.6 wounds from double shooting which is 23 wounds from the second round of shooting from the battalion.  In subsequent round the WWs still do about 11.6 wounds.

I feel the Waywatcher hero has a better command ability and it also has 2" more on the range of his bow which I didn't notice.  And hits on +1 stationary (the range helps here).  The only benefit the Wayfinder has is Rangers as Battle Line are better than Sisters of the Watch. 

I would probably take 20 GG and 2 x 10 Rangers for BL and then,.. I dunno what the 4th slot in the Batallion could be.  10 EG would be okay, 20 better.

Waystone Pathfinders 140
Nomad Prince 80
Spellweaver 100
3 Waywatcher/Wayfinders 300       
30 Glade Guards 360
20 Glade Guards 240
20 Glade Guards 240
20 Glade Guards 240         
5 Wild Riders 140
5 Wild Riders 140

Maximize your Alpha strike! You will do something like 31 rend-3 wounds to the enemy in the first turn, PLUS 3x3D6 shots if you play Wayfinders, or 3x3(6) shots if you play Waywatchers. You will hit pretty hard when you'll come.

You need to deploy yourself as an onion, to be protected by charges. You will lost few units (use 1 of Glade Guards and long size base Riders for that role) then repeat. With the command ability this time.

Deploy well is the key with this list, you really need to prevent any charge in the next turn. You have to protect the core of your shooting list sacrificing one GG/Wild Riders or even heroes some times. 

Choose your targets carefully: take down big monsters, or worthly combo-making heroes, scary units, scary shooting units, maybe flying units, anything that will crush your multiple lines deploy. 

Essentially: ALWAY GOES FOR SECOND!!! Never choose the first turn, never. You will come in as second, so in next turn you will have a 50% chance to get a double turn. If you go first, the will go your opponent. And then, HE will have 50% to go again. Be afraid of that, you can afford one enemy turn, but not two...and if you get double turn you will shoot twice with your entire army.

Yeah the second time you will not have -3 but hey, they still 90 shots.

That Battalion calls this playstile. If I have to run Eternal Guards and other stuff (like sisters) I will run normal Wanderers. But with Waystone, you wanna maximise your coming in. 

PS: if you want a full alpha strike then go with Wayfinders and shoot all their shots in the first engage. They are other nearly 30 shots with good stats. Plus, both theme and GG are divided, so you can maximise with GG (7-10 wounds) and the finish with a Wayfinder, and again GG-WF, etc...maximise your arrows, try to don't be in overkill. 

Waywatchers are good to keep finishing/poke units in the middle/late game. You lose a bit of alpha strike, but you gain some threat for the rest of the game. Your choice.

Remember that even Prince and Spellweaver can shoot/spells D3 mortal wounds.

1 hour ago, Cerve said:

Essentially: ALWAY GOES FOR SECOND!!! Never choose the first turn, never. You will come in as second, so in next turn you will have a 50% chance to get a double turn. If you go first, the will go your opponent. And then, HE will have 50% to go again. Be afraid of that, you can afford one enemy turn, but not two...and if you get double turn you will shoot twice with your entire army.

Note that you should also do everything in your power to plan what you will do if you get first turn. Sure, it's not ideal, but make sure you at least have one trick up your sleeve that counts for something even in an unideal situation. Appear strong when you're weak, and all that jazz ;)

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

Note that you should also do everything in your power to plan what you will do if you get first turn. Sure, it's not ideal, but make sure you at least have one trick up your sleeve that counts for something even in an unideal situation. Appear strong when you're weak, and all that jazz ;)

Well sure, when you can choose go second. Because you have a null-deploy lisy you should be able to go first usually :)

Archived