Wanderers........ARE GOOD!!!

Dracothjay

Hi guys, a lot of people have slated the AOS wanderers in terms of battle potency and general army selection. 

I made a choice recently. I sold my SCE army and said, "fuck it, always wanted wanderers!" And I went for it. Blew all the money I made and threw it all on wanderers. After many games, I will admit I have lost each time, but with each game I get closer and closer to victory. My last game I faced off against sylvaneth, a tough faction. Although my opponent one by a few points from objective holding, her army was depleted and my army still healthy, thanks to shield of thorns and mystic shield lol.

wjat I'm trying to say is that I enjoy playing a faction where you really have to work for a victory. With each loss I learn more and I think the wanderers are a pretty darn good faction and deserve more credit/notice .

anyone else play pure wanderers here? If so, how do they find them? What does your typical list consist of.

happy wargaming!

Not tried wanderers but always wanted to but man, I will not be selling any army to fund another!

In this case specifically selling SCE wasn't a great choice with hindsight eh?

I mean, I'll still be buying a ton of Vanguard so you could just start there if the mood for goldboobs took you again.

I think with Warnderers its one of those armies that you have to try a few times against a faction for you to be able to wrestle a win with them. They were the first army I played with in AoS, and it was a bit of a grind against Stormcast Eternals because of the armour and wounds, but they can do it with the right focus fire, arcane bodkin useage and sticking your eternal guard in trees to wreck to people when they charge in.

I enjoyed the challenge with them. Can't wait to see if they will add or take from them in the future.

Yeah, well I think as far as wanderers go we won't be seeing anything fresh. Sylvaneth have covered that spectrum. However, there is new light and shadow aelves to be released soon so maybe they are a multiple keyword elf which hopefully can be used across the elven sub-faction board.

• 2 months later...

Hey DracothJay,

I have been using a pure Wanderers list for ages. I face Beastclaws, Stormcast, Swifthawks, Free Guild.

I find myself losing most of the time, and initially I was quite hung up on the fact that there were just so much more available to other armies from their new books, for example the blood points, unique artefacts/spells/allegiance/ Beast claw storms etc., and the fact that the generic order artefacts are particularly beneficial.

However, after sticking at it I have learnt a few tricks.

My favourite model is Orion, so I try to take him and make the lists work ...well because I'm as stubborn as a Dwarf :P Haha!

We usually work on a 1000 point list, with a 50 point buffer either way.

My list is: 

Nomad Prince: General (with legendary fighter or master of defence, and obstinate blade). I use this guy for the re-rolls and to provide some protection for my Glade guard/ Eternal guard in combat.

Orion: as I said probably not the most cost effective use of points (to be putting it mildly), but my favourite model. I use this guy to help guarantee charges for my wardancers, and act as long range support fire. I also keep him on the flanks or rear-guard to pack a punch against monsters. If I take hounds (reserved points) then summoning one at a time to deny stormcast lightning drops can be very handy- completely deny a unit of protectors dropping at rear lines.

Glade Guard: usually in 2 units of 10, for more choice with bodkins. They are my battle-line units. 

Eternal Guard: 10 of these hold my objectives, and act as a cheap speed bump.

Wild Riders: I use these to run amok around the battlefield. They can capture objectives in the enemy territory and pick off small chaff units. Run and charge is great. They are not what they used to be in 8th, but you just need to use them differently. Rend would have been nice for these guys, but hey use what you've got.

Wardancers: I have only just started using these guys, but I am falling in love with their versatility. They can provide an objective holder with the save dance, or some attack power if rend/attack dances. With 8" movement I keep them close to Orion. He assists with the charge, and they can act as a charge blocker which he can reach over with the 3" range on his spear.

Hounds: (or my Wolves as I fondly call them/ fenrisian wolfies). These are great for blocking territory or charge blocking for Orion to fight over. I totally baited an opponent to attack my Wolves instead of a key unit.

I have played a little bit with the Shadow Dancer and Waywatcher (hero), and love them both. I am thinking of having one last battle to give Orion to take a trophy kill, then put him on the bench for these 2 dudes.

Just because I haven't played many larger games I haven't used them much, but I am fond of the Dragon and Wild Wood Rangers.

I also have a full Sylvaneth army, and may mix a few in. 

Hounds can be summoned into combat.. which is nice . It would just be nice if there was one really cost effective units (something just SLIGHTLY overpowered or underpriced) to make up for having nothing that the new armies get in books.

7 hours ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

I have played a little bit with the Shadow Dancer and Waywatcher (hero), and love them both. I am thinking of having one last battle to give Orion to take a trophy kill, then put him on the bench for these 2 dudes.

Just because I haven't played many larger games I haven't used them much, but I am fond of the Dragon and Wild Wood Rangers.

I think these units are all decent but most have a small niche which can't make up the whole of your army. WWR are monster hunters that is obvious... But they are over costed when put against anything else. I think they are priced correctly but you can't just put tons of them on the table and expect them to do well. Shadow dancer is great because of his spell, getting 2 of them is hardly needed. The dragon is nice but not very killy for its points so you really have to use him well in combination with other units. I think filling your char allowance with waywatcher hero's isn't a bad idea... But you probably want a nomad prince, dragon lord and shadow dancer too.

Next to the shooting damage an overlord army has the gg don't seem that strong... and then the overlords have khemists too... compare those with the nomad prince and weep.

1 hour ago, Cambot1231 said:

Add The Hurricanum and see what elves on steroids are capable of!

A hurricanum is a 320 point unit and instead of elves you could pretty much put any faction there and the effect is the  same.

I would recommend you the Sisters of Thorn. Their Spell is quite potent. If you have doubts on Orions cost efficiency you maybe should try replacing him. The bow riders arent bad also. A bit expensive maybe, but a good shoot-and-scoot unit.

On 2017-5-6 at 11:40 AM, Kaleun said:

I would recommend you the Sisters of Thorn. Their Spell is quite potent. If you have doubts on Orions cost efficiency you maybe should try replacing him. The bow riders arent bad also. A bit expensive maybe, but a good shoot-and-scoot unit.

No one has doubts about Orion.  Everyone knows he's over costed. .. yet some play him anyway.

Just now, Popisdead said:

That comment totally misses the mark...

No adding a hurricanum makes anything strong.. it doesn't have anything to do with the power of the elves and it's not a specifically better boost to elves than to other troops. Most avarage list will get "steroids" with a hurricanum... it's nothing specific for elves.

5 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

But that's the point.  You want to look at how can you make Wanderers better, not "what can this hurricanum do"  

OK if it's just about wether it;s a good addition to the army: yes it probably is in most cases (I already said that). But still elves on steroids aren't better than anything else on steroids :D.

Yes,.. you are correct.  I think we're starting to split hairs about "how" we look at this problem.

I'm thinking more like this:

Bullgors, I take them in 3-man units and the formation twice for 2000 points.

Mixed chaos, I take 6 Bullgors (well probably 2-3 units), add a Plague Priest and Chaos Sorcerer (and what the heck, sayl to be a ****** of you want), and Lord of War.  At this point they are hitting on 3s re-rolling 1s, and wounding on 2s re-rolling 1s and bonus attacks on 4s.  

I'm feeling the Plague Priest, and Sorcerer add to that unit sort of like how a hurricanum adds to Wanderers (specifically Waywatchers and WW heroes).  The Hurricanum helps everything Order.  The Plague Priest and Sorcerer add to anything chaos.  

I just feel you have to start looking at synergy deep cause Wanderers alone just struggle to cut it and will more so as we go forward and as I worry, likely to be left behind :S

Archived