City of Secrets novel

Veterannoob

For everyone who wondered about the Order carry-over or just more indepth insight into Order civilization in AoS I can't recommend Nick's book City of Secrets enough. Even if you just like the game. Cool to see the fluff advancing and this book provided much-needed detail of the setting.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/aos/whaos-novs/city-of-secrets.html

Really enjoyed it, but wish the author had been given a full length novel to do. The first part of the book was great and we glimpsed some proper depth to the world and characters. I felt the second and particularly third acts were a little rushed. 

100% recommend though. Between this and Chris Peach's Hallowguild project I have been inspired and just bought a lot of freeguild stuff.........

I'm about halfway through, I like it but I wish they went more in depth with it.  Like, a glimpse into the city is cool but I wanted more about the human elements.  How they feel about the Stormcasts though was pretty cool, and some weird things like the crystal (?) spiders that can entrap people (i don't think that counts as a spoiler since it's irrelevant to the plot) were interesting to show.

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

I'm about halfway through, I like it but I wish they went more in depth with it.  Like, a glimpse into the city is cool but I wanted more about the human elements.  How they feel about the Stormcasts though was pretty cool, and some weird things like the crystal (?) spiders that can entrap people (i don't think that counts as a spoiler since it's irrelevant to the plot) were interesting to show.

yeah, lots and lots of notes, plus listener questions, I expect this one at about an hour. But it's such an important interview as this is what we needed and here it is, but only just a taste. Hope there is more to come. There is, but hope anyway :) 

9 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

yeah, lots and lots of notes, plus listener questions, I expect this one at about an hour. But it's such an important interview as this is what we needed and here it is, but only just a taste. Hope there is more to come. There is, but hope anyway :) 

Looking forwards to reading it. I really enjoyed the book, but wish it had been about 100 pages longer to more fully flesh out some of the aspects. Could you ask him what he would have done if given space to write more? Also, will we hear more of Callis and Toll?

Working on my own review for Fjordhammer. Thought it was a solid book. Probably the exact sort of thing people have been waiting for. Humans, mystery plots, regular lives etc.

I expect Callis and Toll to be recurring characters eventually. It's an easy set up, easy duo, and they're pieces that have been missing from the AoS fiction so far.

8 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

Working on my own review for Fjordhammer. Thought it was a solid book. Probably the exact sort of thing people have been waiting for. Humans, mystery plots, regular lives etc.

I expect Callis and Toll to be recurring characters eventually. It's an easy set up, easy duo, and they're pieces that have been missing from the AoS fiction so far.

cool! And agreed, this delivered more than I expected for what was a common ask from the (vocal) community.

I agree with most of the comments here. This kind of information about the setting has been much needed. This just felt way too rushed. Without giving spoilers some of the events and reveals didn't have enough depth or set up for my taste.

On 2017-01-30 at 4:50 PM, Henry said:

Really enjoyed it, but wish the author had been given a full length novel to do. The first part of the book was great and we glimpsed some proper depth to the world and characters. I felt the second and particularly third acts were a little rushed. 

100% recommend though. Between this and Chris Peach's Hallowguild project I have been inspired and just bought a lot of freeguild stuff.........

I really agree with this. It makes setting much more human, my favorite aspect of the Old World was always the Empire battling to survive against the horror of the other races and beset by the enemy within. This book and the Hallowguild army really captures that. I really want to see the Freeguild faction get some love with a battle tome and maybe some updated or new units.

Let's just make sure we shout about it then! I really hope that this and the recent WHLive narrative campaign result in a surge in sales for freeguild stuff. It's what has finally given me the impetus to paint more than just the odd AoS mini ( in spite of loving the setting/game since day 1)

6 minutes ago, Henry said:

Let's just make sure we shout about it then! I really hope that this and the recent WHLive narrative campaign result in a surge in sales for freeguild stuff. It's what has finally given me the impetus to paint more than just the odd AoS mini ( in spite of loving the setting/game since day 1)

Agreed - and I think one of the key aspects here is that from our point of view GW is going to be more receptive to positive feedback and to actual sales.

If you like the book, buy it. Provide positive feedback to GW. Put painted freeguild models and units on instagram, twitter, here etc. and say that this book (or whatever else) inspired you.

If the response from the audience is "...eh" then from GWs point of view where is the motivation to produce more? They want products that make people inspired, happy, excited and that they buy. If we can get across to GW that some normal humans taking names and kicking butt really inspires us and we will buy them, then it is more likely to happen.

2 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

Agreed - and I think one of the key aspects here is that from our point of view GW is going to be more receptive to positive feedback and to actual sales.

If you like the book, buy it. Provide positive feedback to GW. Put painted freeguild models and units on instagram, twitter, here etc. and say that this book (or whatever else) inspired you.

If the response from the audience is "...eh" then from GWs point of view where is the motivation to produce more? They want products that make people inspired, happy, excited and that they buy. If we can get across to GW that some normal humans taking names and kicking butt really inspires us and we will buy them, then it is more likely to happen.

Yup if GW see loads of people buying the book I assume they will get the devoted of sigmar/free guild/Battle mages tome ready. Well that's how I would do the tome myself. 

Archived