Are the warmachines and their crew deployed seperately?

Siegfried VII

Question

So as the question says I would like to find out if the warmachines and their crew are deployed seperately.

As per the faq they are seperate units and as the deployment speaks about units and not warscrolls, rules as written it seems to me that they have to be deployed seperately.

Thoughts guys? :)

14 answers to this question

although i've never realised it - now you've pointed it out; Yes, i believe they would be deployed separately. You can't have it both ways i guess, so if they're able to be targeted as a separate scroll then they should be deployed as a separate scroll

another nerf to warmachines...

24 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I'd deploy them together because they count as one unit (i.e. one printed warscroll)  There isn't a warscroll for for crew and one for the machine, or separate points values for crew and machine.  You don't deploy the glottkin as four separate drops do you.

As per the FAQ and War Scrolls separating the Machine and Crew in two units with separate wound characteristics they can also be deployed as two separate units - This is a special case of War Scrolls with multiple units with separate wound characteristics in the same scroll; unlike the Glottkin which is specified as a single model with a single wound characteristic.

However, it usually specifies in the Scroll that the crew have to be within 1" of the War Machine to operate it, so there is not much Tactical advantage of deploying them on opposite ends of the table, but it enables the crew to flee if necessary.

2 hours ago, Aggesut said:

As per the FAQ and War Scrolls separating the Machine and Crew in two units with separate wound characteristics they can also be deployed as two separate units - This is a special case of War Scrolls with multiple units with separate wound characteristics in the same scroll; unlike the Glottkin which is specified as a single model with a single wound characteristic.

However, it usually specifies in the Scroll that the crew have to be within 1" of the War Machine to operate it, so there is not much Tactical advantage of deploying them on opposite ends of the table, but it enables the crew to flee if necessary.

Yes but it becomes mighty important in order to determine who takes the first turn as by having 2 warmachines in your army you get 4 deploy drops limiting your chances to to dictate the first initiative...

11 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

Yes but it becomes mighty important in order to determine who takes the first turn as by having 2 warmachines in your army you get 4 deploy drops limiting your chances to to dictate the first initiative...

This is true - There is no 'rule' as to such other than under Set-Up stating you'd have to deploy units as per usual, including individual War Machine units, but it would be something you could bring up with your opponent (as so many other things) before deploying - Most players would most likely be okay with you dropping it as one unit if they are dropped within 1", otherwise I'd say you'd have to drop them as individual units. 

All in all there are unfortunately no rules supporting an individual-unit-in-the-same-warscroll-deployment as of yet, but following the general rules for unit deployment you'd have to deploy them individually - Although if you opponent have a problem with you deploying a War Machine and Crew in one drop i'd probably find someone else to play with :)

the other question to be asked is since the foolish faq... can the crew man multiple warmachines. As per FAQ the crew and warmachine being separate units Id would say they can so long as they are 1" away (which is stupid)

I think GW needs to just delete the FAQ there was never one needed in the first place but since the faq on war machines it has just been a disaster.

The description clearly indicated that the cannon/bolt throwe/ gurdge thrower/ catapult ect ect comprised of the warmachine and the crew which would imply they are a single warscroll choice. Then came along the FAQ and just made a disaster of the rules.

To answer your questions as per faq war machines and crew being separate units then yes they would deploy separate....    

30 minutes ago, Bimli said:

the other question to be asked is since the foolish faq... can the crew man multiple warmachines. As per FAQ the crew and warmachine being separate units Id would say they can so long as they are 1" away (which is stupid)

Totally agree with this - as per rules and faq you can argue you'd be able to have the crew run to a different War Machine and man this, as long as it's the same War Machine (ie. Bolt Throwers) - Most of them are capped at 2 Crew Members for any bonus, but say the full crew from one died (and there was a tactical advantage in that specific war machine, for whatever reason) you'd be able to fiddle an alternative crew over and re-man it. However you wouldn't be able to stack 4 Crew members on one bolt thrower and say they have 4 wounds, as you a. can't merge units, and b. it would interfere with the Description on the scroll (...and a unit of two Dark Elf Crew (Dark Elf Reaper Bolt Thrower)).

I would argue you are allowed to stack however much crew around 1 thrower and keep firing, but you'd still have to adhere to what unit is currently firing for any bonuses, and you'd have to field multiple War Scrolls in the first place so it would be a costly gimmick. It can very easily get very complicated.

On this though, we are reaching for the question whether it'd be worth running around with your crew between various machines all-together

29 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

No, because the warscroll refers to "its" crew, not "a" crew.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

its crew but the crew and the war machine are completely a separate units. its crew would be any that can mann that specific war machine. So if you take 4 bolt throwers that is 12 crew that can mann a bolt thrower.  The only way the it's crew would work would be if they were the same war scroll and considered the same unit.... which as per faq they are not.

Being two separate units doesn't prevent "its crew" from referring to the unit of crew that was purchased with it, as part of the same warscroll purchase.

A war machine and its crew are two separate units, but they are purchased together. If a specific unit of crew wasn't purchased with a specific war machine, then they aren't its crew, they are some other war machine's crew.

Archived