My Rebasing project - Opinions wanted

SuperKick

Hi All, 

I'm currently rebasing an all mounted Chaos army to ovals. These are all classic models with double slot in horses. As such it seems like a massive pain. 

I decided to repaint the rims black from brown and simply plop them on the ovals. I was going to then gravel it all etc including the raised lips of the original base. Then I thought what if I just don't? I grabbed a bronze sharpie and put some chaos runes on the base. 

I've done this just on the one chap below. What do you guys think? Should I go with this and have different runes on each base? Or fill out the base with gravel etc? I'm certainly not gonna bother taking the clippers to the original bases though. 

I realise it'll be just go with what I think but I always like a few other honest opinions. 

Cheers 

20170119_222454.jpg

I wouldn't bother rebasing at all.

GW hasn't stated any shape or size requirements. They may do, but when they do there's no guarantee what you've chosen will be 'correct', and then you'll just need to start all over again.

Some models from the new factions have been put on new bases by gw, but there are question marks over older models. For example what base do daemonettes go on? Repackaged bloodletters go on 32, as do plaguebearers, but then the juan diaz darmonettes shipped with 25mm round, and the standard daemonettes in the grand alliance chaos book are on 25mm also.

That hasn't stopped some people and some comps listing them as 32 though.

Basically no-one knows and it will be a giant waste of time. Just wait until gw mandates something and then go with that. Until then, carry on with your squares.

2 minutes ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

I wouldn't bother rebasing at all.

GW hasn't stated any shape or size requirements. They may do, but when they do there's no guarantee what you've chosen will be 'correct', and then you'll just need to start all over again.

Some models from the new factions have been put on new bases by gw, but there are question marks over older models. For example what base do daemonettes go on? Repackaged bloodletters go on 32, as do plaguebearers, but then the juan diaz darmonettes shipped with 25mm round, and the standard daemonettes in the grand alliance chaos book are on 25mm also.

That hasn't stopped some people and some comps listing them as 32 though.

Basically no-one knows and it will be a giant waste of time. Just wait until gw mandates something and then go with that. Until then, carry on with your squares.

But round bases look so coooool!

The Juan Diaz daemonettes shipped with 25mm rounds because those are the bases they were sold with to be used in games of 40k with when they came out (32mm bases didn't exist in 2002). 32mm bases are the norm for most models that went on 25mm squares in WFB (the only exception I can think of being Chaos Marauders). Your logic is very good, but if we were to follow it I'd be able to use the preslotta dwarfs in my army on what are effectively 10mm blobs of metal attached to their feet in what would be an enjoyable game for nobody.

Thanks folks I think I'll green stuff and gravel maybe get some of that milliliput stuff. Great article there @Double Misfire 

@Mohojoe Good advice I might do that with some new chaos stuff in future projects. 

@Bosmer Nightblade honestly I prefer the rounds anyway. There's also the gaming element, though I don't play competitive and my opponent generally couldnt care less about the squares. I always have the feeling of advantage - to the point that I even space them out a bit when I could be in closer. 

Also these are old models and doing this is almost like breathing some new life into them. 

GW did a tutorial in WD not that long ago ... basically, it amounted to take plastic clippers to the rim of the existing base, so you just end up with the (painted) flat part, then stick that onto the round/oval base.  You'll end up with a slightly raised rectangle, which you can fix by adding a greenstuff slope around it. :)

Archived